PDA

View Full Version : Nine Years and Counting!

Stagecoach
April 1st, 2014, 12:18 PM
While visiting with Carrie Ingalls last night when I realized March was my ninth anniversary here at LHC!

I shall try to get pictures of my hair soon to put up, but I thought I'd give a little update.

Since reaching knee length a few years ago I've maintained there pretty consistently. Last summer I'd reached mid calf but really didn't like that length so I cut five inches off, back to middle if knee. My 'sweet' spot is about just brushing the tops of my calves and I trim it accordingly.

Flexi8's are my go to hair toy. I own four in various colors, and generally wear my hair in a log roll or Figure8 bun, secured solely with the Flexi8. On wash days I damp bun with Amish hair pins in a cinna bun, and occasionally I do a braided cinna bun. I don't play much with styles, here four cover nearly every thing, they hold well. Don't give headaches and look nice. I do often play with accent braids though!

I have no settled shampoo, but always ensure there is no SLS as that causes hair fall for my particular scalp. Conditioner though, has been a type of suave for the past couple years. For the past year it's been their Tropical Sunshine, and I have no plans to change.

The biggest change in my hair care routine is that I've stopped using hot or warm water on my hair. I've taken up cold showering for lots of reasons, but a big obvious benefit has been in my hair and skin, which are much happier than when I used hot water. I still wash once a week during the cold months, and twice a week during the summer.

Carrie Ingals inspired two changes in my routine! One being I now use the. Tangle Teezer for my brush and the second is using Buffs. I have two TT and love them to death. I've convinced several of my friends with young daughters to get them as well! I still keep my big bendy Goody Curly hair comb for initial detangling, but the TT does everything else.
I'm using buffs everyday at work. I work in a kitchen and must keep my hair covered. Hairnets get expensive, and my knitted wool hat has become too warm for the spring and summer months. I must say I LOVE my buffs, and enjoy wearing them.

So that's it! I'm still loving my long hair. I don't really like it down, but I love the large buns It can make! And I don't like my hair down when it's short anyway!

Quasiquixotic
April 1st, 2014, 12:28 PM
Wow, that's impressive!

Larki
April 1st, 2014, 12:38 PM
Your hair is beautiful! What length did you start at?

Wosie
April 1st, 2014, 12:39 PM
I remember seeing your avatar a couple of times clearly, as your hair colour is the prettiest hair colour I can imagine (I even showed the pic to my DBF... at least once :o). It's amazing that a single Flexi can hold the entire weight of your long hair! Do you use mega sized Flexis?

Cold rinses sound like a really good idea (for the hair), I should follow your example... The only issue is that I really don't like the feel of cold water. shudder:
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. :) Also, happy 9th anniversary!

Crumpet
April 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Gorgeous hair! I'm also interested in hearing what length you started from and in seeing more pictures (yes, I'm being greedy!).

Lucky_Lucy
April 1st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Wow! Your hair is amazing, and you truly are an inspiration <3 Happy 9th anniversary!

getoffmyskittle
April 1st, 2014, 12:58 PM
Congrats. :waving: Good to see you around.

jeanniet
April 1st, 2014, 02:29 PM
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing new pictures of your hair; it's always so lovely. And I agree about Buffs!

CremeTron
April 1st, 2014, 02:45 PM
What lovely hair and what fab progress x

Stagecoach
April 1st, 2014, 03:33 PM
I started my hair journey at shoulder blade length.

I use XL Flexi8s and they are almost to big, so I think a mega would be way to big for my hair.

Thank you lovely folks!

Aingeal
April 1st, 2014, 03:42 PM
Wow! You're hair is stunning! It seems like your hair is fairly low maintenance too. How often are your wash days?

Vanilla
April 1st, 2014, 04:40 PM
Congrats on your hairiversary! Your hair is so inspiring!

duchess67
April 1st, 2014, 05:13 PM
Gorgeous head of hair! I was reading your blog entries, truly inspiring.

Yozhik
April 1st, 2014, 06:24 PM
Happy hair anniversary! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

I quite enjoyed learning about your routine, and I look forward to new photos. :)

Beatnik Guy
April 1st, 2014, 06:31 PM
Good to see you here! :waving:
9 years? :D

EdG
April 1st, 2014, 07:39 PM
Congratulations on 9 years! :)
Ed

Stagecoach
April 2nd, 2014, 05:26 AM
Wow! You're hair is stunning! It seems like your hair is fairly low maintenance too. How often are your wash days?

I wash once a week in the cooler months, and twice a week during the warmer months.

I've tried the high maintenance routines, and for my hair, they never were worth the extra time! I do miss using coconut oil as I loved what it did for my hair, but I developed a sever topical allergy to it, and can not use it in any of my hair/skin products.

Toffeemonster
April 2nd, 2014, 05:41 AM
Thanks for sharing your routine! May I ask what a buff is?

Weewah
April 2nd, 2014, 06:18 AM
It looks so healthy and beautiful! It's cool to see how awesome hair can get after years of doing LHC practices. You just gave me two things to check out... damp bunning and amish pins.

veryhairyfairy
April 2nd, 2014, 07:05 AM
You have lovely, gorgeous, wonderful, fantasy hair! :flower:
I'm just so impressed with the dedication and care you've taken of your locks, congratulations!!! :cheer:

SleepyTangles
April 2nd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Yes, yes! Pictures!
Love your hair :crush:

GoddesJourney
April 2nd, 2014, 08:40 PM
Stagecoach,

First, I love your dark honey color. It's amazing. Anyway, while we're asking questions, how has your hair changed in texture and thickness over the years, if at all? Have you noticed improvement in condition or fullness as you've been maintaining these last few years? Have you run into any damage or regrets of things you did with your hair years ago that showed up later over time? How long into growing your hair did it take you to find a steady routine you were just happy with? Around what length and beyond for you is the same treatment/amount of effort regardless of what length it is? You know, it's like people have told me once you have three kids you might as well have four because it's the same amount of work but at least they can pair off…haha

Thanks for your input. Having never had my own hair much past waist, it is always great to read about people's experiences with around TBL and below. I know I will be in new territory before I reach hip, so it gives me a lot of things to keep in mind as I grow. I remember how paying attention to where my hair is changes from APL to BSL, and then again at waist. I can only imagine after TBL!

Stagecoach
April 3rd, 2014, 05:50 AM
Thanks for sharing your routine! May I ask what a buff is?

A Buff is a thin, strechy tube of fabric that works in many different configurations to cover the head. Http:/www.buffusa.com

Stagecoach,

...how has your hair changed in texture and thickness over the years, if at all? ...
...Have you noticed improvement in condition or fullness as you've been maintaining these last few years?
... Have you run into any damage or regrets of things you did with your hair years ago that showed up later over time?
...How long into growing your hair did it take you to find a steady routine you were just happy with?
...Around what length and beyond for you is the same treatment/amount of effort regardless of what length it is?

!

In texture not at all. In thickness, I began at 4.25" but around waist I had a major shed down to 3". Over time it's crawled back up to 3.25" but it's stayed their for the past six or so years.

My hair was always virgin, and I ever washed it more than once a week to begin with, so I have not seen lots of improvement perse, just learned the importance of taking gentle care of it. I did think I would see an increase in the fullness of my hemline, but it has not changed over the past three years, so I'm no longer hoping for it!

I regret that I used SLS shampoos for so long. It did take a while to grow out that hair which was slowly damaged.

I found a steady routine fairly early on. That's not to say I don't get bored and play with other things along the wat, but tha basic, gentle shampoo and condition once a week was a simple continuance of my prior routine.

I hated, hated my length between bus land classic. I found it annoying, hard to out up in styles I liked, and generally obnoxious! But, I had the goal of knee length, and it was determined to get there! For me, hair care became much easier after classic length, when I was able to develope a few hairstyles that held comfortably all day. I'm obviously glad I stuck with it. But, if I were ever to cut short, I don't imagine I will go gradually, probably just cut it all off since I hated the I between length so much.

rags
April 3rd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Congratulations, Stagecoach! Your hair has always been so beautiful

(And hi to Skits too!)

bte
April 3rd, 2014, 09:37 AM
Congratulations on 9 years and a fantastic length!

GoddessLocks
April 3rd, 2014, 11:52 AM
Congrats on 9 years! Your hair is beautiful! I just realized I've been here 9 years too! There's been times I haven't been as active and took a break cutting my hair, but man do the years fly by! Here's to more years with happy healthy hair!

Night_Kitten
April 3rd, 2014, 02:42 PM
Happy Hairniversary! :D
You have such beautiful hair, the color is magnificent and the length amazing :D
I'll join all the others waiting for new pics, lol :)

Neecola
April 4th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Happy anniversary, Stagecoach! Thanks for the update and looking forward to your pictures :)