PDA

View Full Version : I NEED a full course on hair!

KrissyB
March 31st, 2014, 04:53 PM
Just to put it simply I've never really been able to take care of my hair, and it's always been SOOOO SHOORT. I've finally started trying to grow it out, and take care of it and learn about hair, as it isn't exactly cool for a girl to have a really short Afro in high school. I need someone to teach me what to do about my hair. I've made a TON of progress as far as caring for my hair goes, but I still have no idea what so ever how to style it or what cuts would work well with my hair. Sadly my hair looks about like the "thick curly medium hairstyle" close to the bottom of this page- http://creativefan.com/hairstyles-for-men-with-thick-hair/. I need some serious help. Can someone here please help me? Thank you for any help!
~Krissy

lapushka
March 31st, 2014, 05:08 PM
Try looking into the "curly girl" method (Google). Also the naturallycurly forum might do wonders for you. And the website "tightlycurly.com" will have methods on how to deal with curly hair as it grows out.

KrissyB
March 31st, 2014, 05:26 PM
I'm following the curly girl method, but with the exception of using a sulfate free shampoo.

Hairitic
March 31st, 2014, 08:48 PM
WOW! What gorgeous hair you're gonna have! Before I Henna'd my hair, it was rather curly. What I learned over the years was not to brush my hair if I wanted nice smooth curls. Best method: Conditioner wash and a leave-in. Use either your finger or a wide toothed snag-free comb to gently de tangle wet hair. Leave it alone till dry. Handle gently to avoid frizz. Finger comb to de tangle as necessary. Spritz with a moisturizing hair tonic to refresh style. You get shiny, clumped coiled curls slinking down your back - GORGEOUS!

jeanniet
March 31st, 2014, 10:31 PM
If your hair is thick, as it grows the weight should help to hold things down a bit, so you'll have less poof. Just be a little patient. My hair is just about shoulder right now, and even just 2" shorter really fluffs it up (which can be good or bad, depending on your perspective).

Definitely use a leave in--you cna figure out how much by experimentation. It will help keep your curls nice, reduce frizz, and also help weigh things down a bit. Also only detangle in the shower, using fingers, wide-toothed comb, or a Denman brush (I use a brush). You might try out plopping, if you don't already do it. Plopping for about 10 minutes before I put in gel helps to get my curls set and removes excess water. I assume you use some kind of gel, if you're doing CG.

As far as haircuts go, you might look into a Deva cut if you don't already have a curly stylist you like. A Deva cut will help to bring out the best shape for your curls. It involves a dry cut and some layering. You can see pictures and maybe locate a stylist at www.mydevacurl.com (http://www.mydevacurl.com).

ETA: If you can post your products and routine, we may be able to give you better advice. ;)

lapushka
April 1st, 2014, 06:44 AM
I'm following the curly girl method, but with the exception of using a sulfate free shampoo.

In that case, because of the harsher shampoo, you might benefit from the WCC method (conditioning twice, post wash), followed by the LOC method for styling (in the curly girl routine, normally). More info is here:

WCC:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314

LOC:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167

KrissyB
April 1st, 2014, 12:18 PM
What I ment by using a sulfate-free shampoo. Is that I am using one. I believe that the CG method says to use no shampoo. The one I'm using now is "Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo", and I'm also using their hair masque every two weeks. I'm about to start using "tresemme naturals nourishing moisture conditioner", and "Ouidad Climate Control Heat And Humidity Gel". Should I also get a Moroccan argon oil? How exactly do you pronounce Ouidad? I'll post updates about these products as I try them, but how do I cover every single hair? I have really thick hair and I've notice I can get the top and get the bottom, but the middle layer area still not be covered. Is this normal? When I pulled my hair up to measure the diameter for the thickness classification it was easily over 4 inches, and I couldn't even get it all up!

Bamagirl77
April 1st, 2014, 12:24 PM
WOW! What gorgeous hair you're gonna have! Before I Henna'd my hair, it was rather curly. What I learned over the years was not to brush my hair if I wanted nice smooth curls. Best method: Conditioner wash and a leave-in. Use either your finger or a wide toothed snag-free comb to gently de tangle wet hair. Leave it alone till dry. Handle gently to avoid frizz. Finger comb to de tangle as necessary. Spritz with a moisturizing hair tonic to refresh style. You get shiny, clumped coiled curls slinking down your back - GORGEOUS!

You said before you henna'd your hair it was curly, so did the henna pull out the curl???

jeanniet
April 1st, 2014, 02:48 PM
What I ment by using a sulfate-free shampoo. Is that I am using one. I believe that the CG method says to use no shampoo. The one I'm using now is "Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo", and I'm also using their hair masque every two weeks. I'm about to start using "tresemme naturals nourishing moisture conditioner", and "Ouidad Climate Control Heat And Humidity Gel". Should I also get a Moroccan argon oil? How exactly do you pronounce Ouidad? I'll post updates about these products as I try them, but how do I cover every single hair? I have really thick hair and I've notice I can get the top and get the bottom, but the middle layer area still not be covered. Is this normal? When I pulled my hair up to measure the diameter for the thickness classification it was easily over 4 inches, and I couldn't even get it all up!

Pure argan oil is fine to use, but many "argan oil" products contain silicones, so read labels carefully. Some cones may be OK for you and others not.

Generally, it will work to rake products through your hair. You don't necessarily have to cover every hair, but you do want even distribution over clumps of curls. I use a Denman brush for leave in, and then rake a small amount of gel through my curls. Here's my routine, which might help you (my ponytail is 5"):

1) Apply conditioner to scalp and length, scrub scalp for 10ish seconds, detangle with Denman brush, and rinse
2) Apply conditioner all over and leave in while I attend to other shower business, then rinse (I don't always do this; depends on whether I feel I need the extra conditioning)
3) Flip head over; distribute a quarter size amount of leave in to hair and brush through, then finger arrange clumps if needed
4) Still flipped over, and using a folded flour sack towel, I lift and squeeze/scrunch sections of hair, holding each for a few seconds (front, each side, and back/crown)
4) Plop using a flour sack towel for about 10 minutes while drying off and getting dressed
5) Remove the towel, shake head to let curls settle, then scrunch in a dime size amount of gel (hard hold gel)
6) I clip up the crown with a couple of claw clips. Then I leave to air dry, or if I'm going to bed, I put on a silk sleep bonnet.

It's pretty basic, and doesn't take much time at all--maybe 30 minutes from prepping for shower to putting clips in.

jeanniet
April 1st, 2014, 02:50 PM
You said before you henna'd your hair it was curly, so did the henna pull out the curl???

Henna does tend to pull out (some) curl. How much is really an individual thing.