PDA

View Full Version : Blonde to blonder?

FireFromWithin
March 31st, 2014, 03:11 PM
I am currently growing out bleach and have no wish to ever bleach my hair again.

However i have naturally blonde hair and would like to know if it would be possible to lightening and make it slightly whiter. I've read quite a few threads and it seems that although it has peroxide in it sun in would be the best lightening choice but it also appears to bring out red undertones in many people. I have pretty much no red in my hair at all, there is a tiny bit of yellow that makes it blonde. It used to be almost white but it darkened as I got older, now my eyebrows still disappear in the summer they go so pale.

I wondered if using the white directions or manic panic toner dye stuff would help to give my hair a lighter look and combat any brassy redness from the sun in (I'm going to use nightshade's method and do a session twice a month until it seems to have the desired colour). Does anyone have experience of this? All the instructions seem to use very very bleached hair with the toner and I'm a little worried that it won't have the same effect on my hair which is just about medium blonde. I'll take a picture in the morning to show you guys but it's damp now. It looks dark blonde/ light brown when wet if that helps.

I also need to try and strip the blue from my ends before doing any lightening I think. There is bleach under it and if it looks awful I'll just get another colour put on. The blue was directions that has now lasted 6 months on the bleached bits but has faded off where it was on my natural colour. I don't want a permanent white effect but a temporary one with a more long lasting overall lightening if possible.

Wow that sounded convoluted. Any help would be appreciated. And yes I know I said I'd grow out all my dye and have virgin hair but as long as it doesn't do serious damage or need lots of upkeep I'd like to try this.

Edit: The colour in my profile pic is pretty accurate for natural outside light. (shade not direct sun)

Springlets
March 31st, 2014, 03:24 PM
I didn't experience any brassiness when I used the version of Sun-In with lemon juice, however I did with the regular version- don't know why that is. But any lightening of hair will turn it warmer, like this chart (http://www.hairfad.com/images/hair-color-levels.png) shows. Having gone through the process of growing out Sun-In 3 years ago, I wouldn't want to do it again. Since it affects all of your hair, it's pretty much the same as growing out dye. If I wanted to lighten my hair, I would just get some highlights so that the majority of my hair would still be natural and make it easier to grow out if I wanted.

Anje
March 31st, 2014, 03:38 PM
If I were using Sun-In these days, I think I'd probably put it on hair that's been marinating in coconut oil for a few hours. Anecdotal evidence is that a good soak in coconut oil seems to reduce the damage that peroxide does, and that full-blown bleaching of hair works just fine on the oily hair. It may only qualify as one of those "can't hurt, might help" things, but if you want to both lighten hair and grow long, it certainly seems worth a try.

I'm pretty sure the Manic Panic toner is a light lavender dye, so it'll probably give a similar effect to using those blue or purple shampoos for brassy blond or silver hair. As such, if you've already got blue ends, it might intensify them a bit. It will probably visually whiten and brighten your hair, though, so it seems like it'd be worth a try. If you want to live more dangerously, you could dilute a TINY bit of blue or purple Manic Panic (or any of the similar wild color temporary vegetable dyes) in a bunch of conditioner. There's more risk that you could go overboard, but you balance that with the fact that you might be able to pass the pot of dye down to your blond children or grandchildren. :lol:

FireFromWithin
March 31st, 2014, 03:50 PM
I think I'll get the white/ blue etc done at the hairdressers, there's a good one I trust locally who have a lot of experience with directions dye. I'm going to go in after using the sun in and possibly colour b4 on my ends. They are more turquoise than blue now and I do have a purple shampoo but I don't like to use it much since it's super harsh and full of sulphates!

Nope
March 31st, 2014, 05:17 PM
You could always make your own purple shampoo by just adding a small amount of violet dye into your favorite shampoo. Also, I would recommend making your own toner over buying the manic panic one if you intend on toning regularly; it saves a lot of money to buy a violet dye and just mix a small bit with a load of conditioner rather than buying one or two bottles of the premade toner every time.

chen bao jun
March 31st, 2014, 05:27 PM
There's a thread somewhere, Bottle Blonde grows long, you could check it out and see how people do it.

Larki
March 31st, 2014, 06:40 PM
Have you considering using honey? That's supposed to make your hair lighter. There's a thread in the Recipes forum on it.

FireFromWithin
April 1st, 2014, 01:40 AM
I've tried honey before, my hair doesn't like it very much but I'll have a look and try again with it. I have seen the bottle blonde thread but I don't want to actually bleach my hair. I'd rather keep it this colour than do that. I mostly want a head start on my summer colour as I won't get to spend very much time outside until I go away. There is probably two shades difference between summer and winter colour. I mostly wanted the advice on the white toner as a non permenant thing for getting white hair without bleach and the general toning just to keep my hair from going red with the sun in. I've bought some colour b4 to get rid of the blue and some sun in. Hopefully it won't ruin my hair. I'll take before and after pic so show what happens and I'll make sure to use coconut oil to protect my length.

Thank you for all the advice. It's been really helpful and otherwise I never would have known where to start!

emilia1992
April 1st, 2014, 03:15 AM
And how about camomile tea? Just make a really strong solution and soak hair with it, then sit out in the sun. It even managed to do something on my dark hair, and I didn't notice any damage.

FireFromWithin
April 1st, 2014, 07:50 AM
I thought the camomile tea gave hair a yellow tinge to it? The trouble with the blonde is that any yellow shows up a lot which is why I haven't done a cassia treatment even though my hair could possibly use it.

emilia1992
April 1st, 2014, 08:23 AM
Ah, I see. Having dark hair, the camomile came out goldenish - so I suppose that on blonde hair it would appear as yellow. :)

FireFromWithin
April 11th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I've done my first sun in treatment, I'm not sure that its much lighter but I have noticed a slight difference. I'm going to buy a purple shampoo and conditioner tomorrow and do another treatment on Wednesday. It doesn't seem to have damaged my hair but during my cateful inspection I've realised that my split ends don't seem to be getting any better so I'm going to buy some new scissors as well. I'm trying to be quite careful as its my birthday Easter Monday and I don't want to look ridiculous for it!

Larki
April 11th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I'm glad the sun in worked for you! I tried it several weeks ago, but it had absolutely no effect on my hair.

FireFromWithin
April 11th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I think the effect is subtle and it will need another one or two applications. I may get the John Freda go blonder shampoo and see if that helps as well.

Larki
April 11th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Yeah, maybe - I only used it twice and gave up, but really I think I'm fine with my current color.

John Frieda makes good stuff! I've never tried the Go Blonder, but I used to use the blonde toning shampoo that keeps your hair from going brassy. It worked, and made my hair nice and soft.

MadeiraD
April 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I'd definitely recommend the purple shampoo route, (I also LOVED fanciful's leave in rinses when I had my fringe white, and my bottle platinum blonde husband swears by them)

LongHairLesbian
April 11th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Full disclosure: I haven't tried the out myself, but people in the youtube comments section seem to like this recipe. Super gentle, and moisturizing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SosjYnLLYZI

ErinLeigh
April 11th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I would try the sun in and see what color it takes you to. You can buy purple shampoo and conditioner at Sally's or drugstores to help tone down the brass. If you are anywhere in a light blond shade it should help a lot. I would try those before the manic panic just in case the MP takes the color to well. Or at least really dilute it in conditioner. The white I am really unsure of. I have more experience with blue/purple toning. Those help cancel red/orange so that's all I have tried. White I guess could make an interesting strand test. I have actually wondered myself if it would work or just take me to pink/tangerine.

I would for sure use the coconut oil before spraying on the Sun In. It really seems too help. Peroxide still damages but the coconut oil really seems to prevent some of that.

I wonder if simply mixing developer without bleach into shampoo and washing would lighten or take out brass. I don't know if it works on natural hair but it took my dyed hair up a shade doing that. Maybe a stylist can chime in and let us know of that could work.

Best of luck to you.

edit. Just saw round one worked. Yea! I wish you lovely hair on Easter :)

FireFromWithin
April 17th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Round two hasn't made much of a difference, I did mostly sun sitting instead of blow drying though. The bits by my scalp I blow dries but they were quite light anyway. I feel like a got a few more highlights and there's more whitish highlights by my face. I've also been in the sun lots this week, so I was trying to figure out why my makeup looked weird today...it's because you can only see the first third of my eyebrows, so there's also a chance that some of the lightening is just from that. It has however greatly reduced the intensity of the blue and I may do any other treatment at the end of the week just for that since I've not noticed an increase in damage. Still need to get toning shampoo and conditioner. Hopefully the pharmacy down the road will be open tomorrow or I'll just drive to tesco instead. Pictures coming tomorrow, along with what will be my 5th attempt to film Elsa's coronation hair (today's disaster was a dead battery and a corrupted film file).