PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure this has been asked a million times before...

pwettyfleur
March 31st, 2014, 01:55 PM
So i had some random dandruff start and decided to go to body shop and get their ginger anti-dandruff shampoo (which is great), and i picked up their banana conditioner. First, apart from the smell (which is awful!) it seemed fine, but ive noticed the longer i use it for the less soft and the more damaged my ends look and feel. My hair has stopped shedding as much since switching from my loreal sulphate free stuff, but im not very pleased with the dryness of my ends. I am growing out bleached hair, so moisture is a must. I use argan oil. but i still feel i need to change conditioner.

So after that ramble. I would like some recomendations for conditioners that are not over priced, or likely to make my hair start shedding loads again and (this isnt my main concern, but is preferable) doesnt contain sulphates.

Also i live in a village in Scotland, so something i could buy when i visit my nearest boots/superdrug/chain store would be great!

Thanks in advance.

two_wheels
March 31st, 2014, 02:50 PM
Welcome!

Check the label, but I think sainsburys basics is sulphate/cone free and you get a giant tub for less than £1.50 if I recall correctly...

Up a price notch (but still not expensive, I think) is tresemme naturals which is def sulphate/cone free, and I really like it. It's available at most UK boots and superdrug.

There are others but I'm not sure which. Lots without sulphates anyway.

melusine963
March 31st, 2014, 03:21 PM
It's been a few years, but Boots used to make a dirt cheap Boots Essentials silicone-free conditioner. You could buy a big bottle for about 75p, if I remember correctly. Superdrug also make their own cheap, silicone-free version, although it wasn't always in stock.

Nightshade
March 31st, 2014, 03:34 PM
A good thing to make sure is that you actually need a dandruff shampoo. Many dandruff shampoos are antifungal and very harsh, but flakes can also be caused by dry scalp, a need for exfoliation of the scalp, psoriasis, eczema, or even a reaction to your products or something in your diet. I would make sure that your flakes are actually caused by something your shampoo can treat before doing anything else.

A harsh dandruff shampoo might be contributing to the dryness of your ends, but you could also look into a conditioner that's more rich :)

Larki
March 31st, 2014, 03:38 PM
A good thing to make sure is that you actually need a dandruff shampoo. Many dandruff shampoos are antifungal and very harsh, but flakes can also be caused by dry scalp, a need for exfoliation of the scalp, psoriasis, eczema, or even a reaction to your products or something in your diet. I would make sure that your flakes are actually caused by something your shampoo can treat before doing anything else.

A harsh dandruff shampoo might be contributing to the dryness of your ends, but you could also look into a conditioner that's more rich :)
Scalp exfoliation? How do you do that?
I've been noticing white stuff under my nails when I scratch my scalp lately, and assuming it's skin, I could probably use some exfoliation. :p

Mainesongbird
March 31st, 2014, 08:09 PM
Ok. Sometimes I have the same problem as you and this is what I use to help. I just did a hot oil treatment (1/4 cup olive oil heated in a glass container in a microwave for 30 secs. Pour over head leave covered for 30 minutes). I also use renpure agran oil shampoo and conditioner, which are great and sulfate free!

Charybdis
March 31st, 2014, 11:23 PM
There's a line of hair products at Boots called "Naked", and I like their cone-free conditioners. They're too thick to be a good choice for CO, but they're excellent post-shampoo if you have dry ends. (I suspect they might be too heavy for very straight, fine hair, but based on your profile it doesn't look like you fall into that category.)

pwettyfleur
April 1st, 2014, 12:57 AM
Thank you all! i definitely will look into these. The hot oil treatment sounds great. i'll try that before my next hair wash.