PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to blowdry your hair on cool, completely no hot air being used at all?

threadOfGold
March 31st, 2014, 12:07 PM
I don't use any heat on my hair but sometimes when my hair is still a bit damp from washing it the night before I am tempted to blowdry it on the cool setting quickly. Is it that bad for your hair ?
what are your opinions?:)

Nadine <3
March 31st, 2014, 12:10 PM
I don't think so, I blow dry my bangs on cool after every wash.

lapushka
March 31st, 2014, 12:17 PM
My hair gets blown dry / diffused every wash (once every week) on a warm setting and no it's not damaging. Don't feel bad about blowdrying. If you can hold your hand in the airstream for a long time without it burning, then it's OK to use on the hair as well!

GoldenSilk
March 31st, 2014, 12:36 PM
I would tend to agree; if it won't burn your hand, it's probably fine.

I have fine and flyaway hair that tends to tangle and fluff when I blowdry (no matter how much I try to hold it with a comb/brush), so I avoid it entirely... But then, I'm a klutz!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2014, 12:55 PM
Perfectly fine!

darklyndsea
March 31st, 2014, 01:32 PM
Short answer:yes.

Longer answer: Everything damages your hair, so it depends on how long you want to grow your hair and how fragile it is. It's not going to do a lot of damage, but it is an easily-recognizable and avoidable source of some amount of damage.

lapushka
March 31st, 2014, 01:50 PM
Longer answer: Everything damages your hair, so it depends on how long you want to grow your hair and how fragile it is. It's not going to do a lot of damage, but it is an easily-recognizable and avoidable source of some amount of damage.

Well I was almost TBL before I grew back out to hip+ this time around. I've always, for many many years, had my hair diffused, and I have yet to see damage.

Carolyn
March 31st, 2014, 01:56 PM
I think it's perfectly OK to do. I try to avoid high heat and the turbo setting that whips my hair around like a tornado. I blow dry maybe once a week and I have my hair professionally colored and have almost no splits or damage. I'm about 3" above waist.

Macaroni
March 31st, 2014, 02:01 PM
Cool is fine, I airdry to 90% and finish with the cool air setting with my head down to give it body at the roots.

darklyndsea
March 31st, 2014, 02:05 PM
Well I was almost TBL before I grew back out to hip+ this time around. I've always, for many many years, had my hair diffused, and I have yet to see damage.

The damage is more of a "I'm growing out to terminal" worry for most hair, I think.

afu
March 31st, 2014, 03:00 PM
The way I think about it is if the air you are drying with is no hotter than your shower would be then it's fine. I bleach (using coconut oil as the protectant) and blow dry and I'm almost at hip with very little damage

Anje
March 31st, 2014, 03:43 PM
I don't think it'll hurt, though you'll want to be careful not to introduce tangles from the hair whipping around in the wind. Many people here even blowdry on a warm setting, which seems harmless IF it's comfortable to put close to your hand or arm indefinitely. (My hairdryer's warm is a bit too hot for that, frankly. Not that I use the thing much.)

If you're going all cool, though, another possibility you might want to consider is a simple fan. That would allow you to have both hands free while your hair dried.

Kherome
March 31st, 2014, 04:20 PM
Yes it's ok. It's ok to do anything you want to your hair! But it's damaging. It depends on how much damage you are ok with and what your goals are.

ErinLeigh
March 31st, 2014, 06:23 PM
It is fine. There are some threads around here that posted studies about blow drying on cool being possibly being better than airdrying.
Just keep an eye on things and if hair is responding well to what you are doing keep doing it. Hair can defy some science studies sometimes I notice so even if it IS wrong, it still can work for you.

Damage is a relative word. Seems like everything is damaging. But as far as frying your hair, cool setting isn't going to fry it.

HoneyDayTripper
April 1st, 2014, 12:34 AM
Excited to read this! I had to buy a blow dryer for my poodle and then I started using it sometimes and of course feeling guilty about it ha ha.

emilia1992
April 1st, 2014, 03:21 AM
It should be perfectly fine :)

MaryO
April 1st, 2014, 03:46 AM
I'm going to have to blow-dry a little this winter as my hair doesn't even dry overnight in summer. Will use the coolest setting and hope for the best. ;-)

Lyv
April 1st, 2014, 06:36 AM
I think it's fine as long as you're making sure you do it gently so you don't get tanlgles.