PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get coconut oil out of hair without shampoo or conditioner

MoonMaiden
March 30th, 2014, 04:58 PM
hello, im new here but i thought i would ask if anyone knew the best way to get coconut oil out of hair without the use of shampoo or conditioner. I would like to stop using both. i have been using amla, brahmi, shikakai, hibiscus, nettle and fenugreek that i boil in some water to use as a shampoo but i find it never gets the oil off of my scalp. The next time i mite try it as a thicker paste to leave in for ten minutes before washing out, but idk if that will work either. thank you in advance for any responses :) and sorry if i placed this in the wrong forum lol

Aderyn
March 30th, 2014, 05:22 PM
You can try using apple cider vinegar diluted in water as a sort of clarifying rinse.

bunnylake
March 30th, 2014, 05:32 PM
You could try baking soda mixed with water. It's a bit harsh so I wouldn't do it often.

freznow
March 30th, 2014, 07:47 PM
An egg. Eggs are great cleansers. My roommate poured oil on her hair thinking it was ACV (since I have mysterious bottles in the bathroom) and used an egg to get it out. Just be sure to rinse in cool water so you don't scramble the egg in your hair.

spidermom
March 30th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Simple - don't use coconut oil on your scalp. All the hair that touches your scalp is conditioned by the natural sebum. It's the hair below that level that needs the extra essential fatty acids. Oh, and be very conservative in your use of coconut oil on the length, else it may build up and make your hair limp and greasy looking.

P.S: Of course, this opinion is worthless if you have a very dry scalp that doesn't produce much natural sebum.

Beborani
March 30th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Shikakai paste is tradiitonally used to remove oil from hair. You need to make substantial amount of thick paste and ensure all your hair is coated--and rub in gently. Leaving it on will not do much--the trick is in application.

sarahthegemini
March 31st, 2014, 07:10 AM
You can try using apple cider vinegar diluted in water as a sort of clarifying rinse.

ACV doesn't clarify...and I can't imagine it would get out a coconut oil-oiling!

I suppose OP, you could try an egg wash or using clay? (I've no idea how those wash methods work but i'm sure someone here does!)

Anje
March 31st, 2014, 08:41 AM
Shikakai paste is tradiitonally used to remove oil from hair. You need to make substantial amount of thick paste and ensure all your hair is coated--and rub in gently. Leaving it on will not do much--the trick is in application.

This was what I was thinking. Maybe you just need to increase the proportion of shikakai you're using.

swearnsue
March 31st, 2014, 10:47 AM
Simple - don't use coconut oil on your scalp. All the hair that touches your scalp is conditioned by the natural sebum. It's the hair below that level that needs the extra essential fatty acids. Oh, and be very conservative in your use of coconut oil on the length, else it may build up and make your hair limp and greasy looking.

P.S: Of course, this opinion is worthless if you have a very dry scalp that doesn't produce much natural sebum.

I agree with Spidermom.

Number 3
March 31st, 2014, 11:05 AM
I've been searching too.
tried Baking soda, didn't work.

Please, keep me updated.

Henna Girl
April 1st, 2014, 11:58 AM
you can try a shampoo bar, it is more like a soap than a shampoo because it contains no SLS. Otherwise, you can shampoo only this once and reduce the amount of oil next time and limit it to the ends of your hair! Good luck.

ErinLeigh
April 1st, 2014, 12:10 PM
Have you tried adding honey to your herbs for removing the oil? I can get out the heaviest oilings with honey (although I mix with a little conditioner)
It is worth a try. If honey and herbs alone don't work maybe try egg/honey/lemon wash?

Aderyn
April 1st, 2014, 02:20 PM
ACV doesn't clarify...and I can't imagine it would get out a coconut oil-oiling!

Hence saying a "sort-of" clarifying rinse. One of my friends had overdone coconut oil in the past and a few vinegar rinses helped get it out of her hair. :shrug:

I have heard good things about how cleansing certain clays can be and terresentials mudwash, though I don't know how one would do a homemade mix of that and am unsure of how that would work with coconut oil.

jrmviola
April 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
I second the Egg. I use it with my Castor oil to help keep from being over oily...

sarahthegemini
April 1st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Hence saying a "sort-of" clarifying rinse. One of my friends had overdone coconut oil in the past and a few vinegar rinses helped get it out of her hair. :shrug:

I have heard good things about how cleansing certain clays can be and terresentials mudwash, though I don't know how one would do a homemade mix of that and am unsure of how that would work with coconut oil.

Well, you learn something new every day! (meaning me :p)

MoonMaiden
April 9th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I use castor oil also at times. I will definitely try out the things everyone has mentioned :)

CurlyCap
April 9th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Second the shikakai advice.

If that doesn't work, bentonite clay, mixed with ACV, spread over the hair and scalp, left to DRY, and rinsed out gently with warm water. It uses a ton of clay and is a pain to do.

Honestly, I'd just stop oiling for a while until you get back to baseline....then start using miniscule amounts of oil, gradually increasing until you figure out how much you can use without getting oily.

Arwenlily
April 9th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I see that you mentioned that you don't want to use shampoo but have you tried shampoo bars or a shampoo that is full of essential oil and natural ingredients? I recently had difficulty removing coconut oil from my hair and what has helped me was using a natural oil shampoo followed with an ACV rinse. It has been working for the past couple weeks for me. However, I'm unsure but I may have to clarify every once and a while.

ErinLeigh
April 9th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Those oil shampoos work for me too. Its wild isn't it? Mine is olive, coconut and some herbs or something but I swear it cleans hair so well. I was really surprised. I get some of my best hair days using it.

Arwenlily
April 9th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Those oil shampoos work for me too. Its wild isn't it? Mine is olive, coconut and some herbs or something but I swear it cleans hair so well. I was really surprised. I get some of my best hair days using it.

Yeah, same here. My hair is extremely clean, shiny and smooth ... it is wonderful. I'm not quite sure if it is the shampoo that is making my hair so smooth or if it is the ACV rinse. Do you follow your oil shampoo with ACV?