PDA

View Full Version : Very short, snapped, sticking up hairs look awful *photo*

rohirrrims
March 30th, 2014, 09:48 AM
So my hair has been treated pretty badly for years, almost 10 I think. It is naturally stick straight and fine but it was ravaged by bleaching out colours and trying to maintain a bright ginger from my natural brown (I believe it used to be light brown anyway). The colour was always more important to me than anything else, and I thought that damage came hand in hand with that.

Anyway, a month ago I came across LHC after getting so fed up and upset about the state of my hair. I gave up heat styling and chemical dyes, switched to henna for the colour and conditioning, coconut oilings, sulfate and silicone free products and wearing my hair down less and braided at night. I hope all of this will prevent future damage.

However I am at loss at what to do with the current biggest issue with my hair, the short snapped strands that are all over my head at every length, but most horribly at the crown. I actually feel so gutted to look at this photo and see the mess I made with my own hair. I can't smooth them down with anything because neither coney serums or hairspray work, and I want to avoid those anyway. I have extremely greasy hair and stretching washes longer than 2 days is bad enough without adding more product to my crown area :(

I just really want to know if anyone else is in hair rehab for the same problem and has worked out a way to make it look less awful? Even if I can't do anything, just knowing others have dealt with damage like this would help!

Hope this photo link works. I was in cosplay as Amy Pond from Doctor Who so had tried to heatless curl my hair, but it just made it look fluffy! But this photo showed the crown hair so clearly.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/120604813@N07/13512646343/player/" width="264" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The colour and condition look awful in that greeny lighting too! :(

höpönasu
March 30th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Try to tame them with some oil. They'll grow, don't worry. don't see them as snapped hair, more like frizzyness. Not much more until the gravity does its' job and pulls them down from sticking up. I don't see anything wrong with your hair! :o :flower:

rohirrrims
March 30th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Of course I did that wrong! :o

Here it is

http://i60.tinypic.com/3358a4m.jpg

stachelbeere
March 30th, 2014, 09:53 AM
hey rohirrrims, I love that you cosplayed Amy Pond :D welcome to lhc!

as for the short hairs - are you sure these are broken hairs and not baby hairs? check the ends, if they are tapered they are probably new hairs. I'm not too sure what to advise you about making them lay flat though... maybe aloe vera gel, or flaxseed gel...?

Micayla47
March 30th, 2014, 09:57 AM
They definitely look like new growth to me.

rohirrrims
March 30th, 2014, 10:06 AM
The thing is during the hair abuse time, I would hear them snapping a lot... a lot. I hear a hair snap now and feel sick because it adds to this, but I just shrugged before! The are usually a bit wonky, like when you curl ribbon with scissors, but not very well, like kinky? And for a long time before I switched to henna last month I was always leaving the lengths of these snapped of hairs everywhere. Thankfully this constant breakage has ceased with my new regime.

Thinking of it as new growth rather than breakage is nicer though, I hope it is! I lost a lot of hair so it would be nice to get some back :)

I have been trying to get some Aloe vera gel to try it out in an SMT, but I've just moved to the Netherlands from Scotland and don't speak the language yet so I'm still on that shop hunting mission!

BrendaLoan
March 30th, 2014, 10:09 AM
You could try aloe vera gel. And I don't see anything "awful" about your hair, I think is really pretty! :o

Lyv
March 30th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I think your hair looks really nice! I have hair like that all over the top of my head but they're baby hairs not breakage, maybe yours are too? I second the aloe suggestion, it works really well for me.

RedNymph
March 30th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Of course I did that wrong! :o

Here it is

http://i60.tinypic.com/3358a4m.jpg

I'd say new growth.

And btw you remind me so much of Amy Pond from DW.

bunnylake
March 30th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Keep babying your hair and they will grow out. Maybe you need protein treatments?
I recommend a silk or satin pillow case for sure, and a microfiber towel.
I had a similar problem with new growth. Little hairs popping out everywhere. I switched to a satin pillow case and started weekly scalp massages with oil and they grew out in no time. :)

ravenreed
March 30th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I shed a lot so I always have new hairs coming in. They do stand up for a bit and then settle down as they get longer.