PDA

View Full Version : hair and amusement parks

Viola88
March 30th, 2014, 05:00 AM
I'm thinking about going to Carowinds this spring. It had all sorts if rollarcoasters and other rides. I am stumped about what I should do with my hair. It's almost BCL and slipperly.

A hairstick would probably become a small missile. Two french braids might work but the length of the free ends still worries me. I have a large ficcare but I am afraid the force of the rides might crack the enamel. I do have a medium primavera gold. It's a wee bit small but it might be my best bet. I have a 3 prong acrylic fork from crockett mountain woods and that's 'in the running', too.

What would you all wear?

furnival
March 30th, 2014, 05:48 AM
I'd do a braided bun with millions of spin pins.

Gabriel
March 30th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I usually crown braid or two inverse french braids (dutch?) and pin them around my head almost like heidi braids. I use Amish pins.

embee
March 30th, 2014, 06:05 AM
I was thinking the fork, but really a low bun with spinpins might be the best. You'll also want some sort of sun hat or scarf if you're going to be there all day, no point in frying your hair and face. Parts can get frightfully sunburned, so braiding might not work out for the best Kind of like riding in a convertable: what to wear, what to wear?? ;)

Lyv
March 30th, 2014, 06:10 AM
When I went to Universal last year I wore mine in a crown braid and it stayed really well through the rides and wind.

Ruzovy
March 30th, 2014, 06:11 AM
I'd do a crown braid or milkmaid braids, buns would probably get uncomfortable during seated rides and braids just remind me of that story about the girl that got scalped in one of those tower-drop rides D:

Wildcat Diva
March 30th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Paranda braided bun with u pins all the way. Been there done that at county fair rides and concerts too. Paranda bun will do the trick.

Madora
March 30th, 2014, 08:27 AM
I'd say a paranda braid. No pins, no forks, no sticks in an amusement park environment (unless all you're going to do is walk around).

Panth
March 30th, 2014, 09:11 AM
One of the suggestions you've already had.

Or, alternatively: a single braid (English is ok if you have no layers, French/Dutch if you have layers that need containing) and then before you get on a ride, tuck the length of the braid down your shirt (and, even better, tuck it on the inside of your bra strap). That would keep everything nicely contained (unless your braid length is too short to tuck or is long enough to stick out the bottom...).

~honeyflower~
March 30th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I like to do french braids

Lippytoes
March 30th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Interlaced Dutch braids! Loepsie has a tutorial on Youtube for this hairstyle - it's super handy and quite easy to do if you know how to Dutch braid. And it's SO secure.

Madora
March 30th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Video link: interlaced braids:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M

Scarlet_Heart
March 30th, 2014, 11:56 AM
French braid bun would be my choice. Done snuggly with spin pins or a grippy fork. Have lots of fun!

melomane
March 30th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Sorry, this has nothing to do with your question but do you play the viola? Outside of Orchestra I've never met anyone who knows what a viola is, let alone play it. Back to the question though, I would usually wear a side braid:P Those days I try to keep my mind off of my hair.

trolleypup
March 30th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Pony scrub. Protected my hair completely for a 9 hour rollercoaster riding marathon.

Larki
March 30th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Pony scrub. Protected my hair completely for a 9 hour rollercoaster riding marathon.

What is that?

queenieheather
March 31st, 2014, 03:00 AM
https://www.etsy.com/market/ponytail_scrub_hat Is that what you mean trolleypup? They wear those in surgery where I work. I wish I could wear one daily and oil my hair :D That would totally work for an amusement park, though I'd feel silly wearing it...maybe a solid color wouldn't be that bad? No scalp sunburn either! Last year I went to Cedar Point with my hair down, so not much help. (Btw: My hair doesn't tangle and I don't brush it.) This year when I go I will probably do 2 dutch braids bunned with a flexi.

Stiria
March 31st, 2014, 03:16 AM
Interlaced braids for sure. Like Lippytoes said, they are very secure. You don't even need pins, but I like to add a few to make sure it stays in place. And it does. All day long. They are also rather flat, so it shouldn't be too uncomfortable during seated rides.

trolleypup
March 31st, 2014, 06:52 AM
https://www.etsy.com/market/ponytail_scrub_hat Is that what you mean trolleypup? They wear those in surgery where I work. I wish I could wear one daily and oil my hair :D That would totally work for an amusement park, though I'd feel silly wearing it...maybe a solid color wouldn't be that bad? No scalp sunburn either! Last year I went to Cedar Point with my hair down, so not much help. (Btw: My hair doesn't tangle and I don't brush it.) This year when I go I will probably do 2 dutch braids bunned with a flexi.
I use these...light and secure and lots of colors: Blue Sky Scrubs (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrub-hats/womens-surgical-scrub-hats/pony-collection/).

I'll trade the looking ridiculous for comfort and safety on the rides, and the knowledge that I don't have to worry about my hair...and when I am done, I can whip it off, let my hair down and have pretty bun waves.

Macaroni
March 31st, 2014, 08:08 AM
I'd slather my hair with conditioner for a passive CO, braid it and bun it with spin pins. After taking it down, rinse and airdry. Soft, clean, undamaged hair.

Earelia
March 31st, 2014, 08:48 AM
Sock bun at the tippy top of your head! ;)

Brattina88
April 2nd, 2014, 05:20 PM
I have a Cedar Point pass and I'm typically there every single weekend from open until close with few exceptions :o Granted, I only ride when there's no lines (I think its so silly people wait in lines for 3 hours to ride rides. Last year I waited in line for 4mins for the new Gatekeeper ride. Everyone else was going through the halloweekends exhibits I guess).... but I still ride quite often. I always did an oiled braided bun. Sometimes french, sometimes english. Spin pins for the win :D
Sometimes I have problems with my bangs, I try to french braid them back but a big portion of the time they slip out. I use bobby pins to pin them back, too. Sometimes they fly out, sometimes not. :p

I really like the interlaced braids, though. I will definitely try that this year! ;)

Vanilla
April 2nd, 2014, 05:39 PM
Those interlaced braids are gorgeous! Hurries off to try this hairstyle in her bathroom right now!

MandyBeth
April 4th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I've used arc's spiral braid, then hair taped the braid tail down on my kid. Worked well before.

YamaMaya
April 4th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I'll just second all the suggestions of spin pins, they're the safest option to hold ALL your hair and least likely to get lost because it would be impossible for them to fly out on a particularly bumpy ride. Either that or claw clips, this might be a good style for such an occasion http://youtu.be/pOzk5VHwx4c

Hosta
April 4th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Interlaced Dutch braids with a ribbon included with braids only longer than the braids. You could secure the ends of the ribbon by tying them. No worries of pins flying out.

ScarlettAdelle
April 4th, 2014, 08:13 PM
There's always a braided bun sewn down with a darning needle and quilting thread. If youstart with a French braid and sew the bun to that as a base, it's not going anywhere.