PDA

View Full Version : How to wear hair up when it's oiled?

kittenpajamas
March 29th, 2014, 02:07 PM
So I've decided to just start heavily oiling my hair most of the time to keep it from suffering too much damage while it's growing. Not my scalp, just my length. I will leave my roots dry for vanity purposes. What are some cute updos I could try that will mostly mask the fact that my hair is drenched in oils? Using very gentle hair accessories? Or what are some good gentle accessories? If you other ladies do this, do you wear hats or scarves or anything? I need suggestions, because I have never been prone to wearing my hair up before because of my face shape and how chubby my cheeks are..

Lindseyh
March 29th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I like a braided bun because it looks extra sleek. Also if I have to redo the bun it's still braided- I get oil crazy sometimes and don't want to show it off. I will usually use an acrylic stick. I'm always afraid the oil will discolor wood sticks or forks

melusine963
March 29th, 2014, 02:35 PM
How often do you wash your hair? I ask because it's possible for oil to go rancid in your hair if there's too much and it's left there too long. I use coconut oil as a leave-in, which is one of the few oils that penetrates the hair, but I still don't put in more at a time than will happily be absorbed.

When my hair is oiled, I just bun or braid it as usual. Good, damage-free hair accessories include sticks and spin pins.

kittenpajamas
March 29th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I wash my hair 3-4 times a week...And where do I get spin pins? I don't know if I can use sticks. I kinda suck at fixing my own hair.

Lindseyh
March 29th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Spin pins are at Walmart/target type stores and most drug stores.

melusine963
March 29th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I wash my hair 3-4 times a week...And where do I get spin pins? I don't know if I can use sticks. I kinda suck at fixing my own hair.

I imagine most supermarkets would have them. They come in black, brown and gold, and also in long and short (if your hair is short, I recommend getting the short pins). I use Goody brand spin pins which I'm very happy with, although you can also buy cheaper knock off versions.

Since you wash your hair so often, I don't think you'll have a problem with oil going bad. That said, if you use coconut oil or another oil that can be absorbed into the hair shaft, remember that your hair can only absorb so much oil at a time. There's not much point in slathering your hair so heavily that excess oil just ends up sitting on the outside, rubbing off onto your pillow every night.

kittenpajamas
March 29th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I do use coconut oil, I also use almond oil. Do spin pins have a different name, maybe? Last time I looked a the store, I couldn't find any. I don't really know what they look like...

laceyfairy
March 29th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Braids are my main style for oiled hair. Here's a link for the spin pins from the goody website, butyou can probably find them cheaper.http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair_Accessories/Simple_Styles_Spin_Pin

melusine963
March 30th, 2014, 10:26 AM
I do use coconut oil, I also use almond oil. Do spin pins have a different name, maybe? Last time I looked a the store, I couldn't find any. I don't really know what they look like...

If you tell us what country you live in, someone is sure to know exactly where you can buy some. These (http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair_Accessories/Simple_Styles_Spin_Pin) are the spin pins I'm talking about, and this brand is certainly sold under the name 'spin pins' in the U.S.A. and the U.K. (and I'm pretty sure Ireland, too). I think in Germany they might be known as 'scroo pins'.

höpönasu
March 30th, 2014, 11:04 AM
When I have oiled my hair I keep it in a messy bun or in a braid. Both works.