PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder to waist. how long did it take?

cdonald2
March 28th, 2014, 11:21 PM
I am legitimately curious about this. I know alot of people ask about SL to apl or bsl but i am curious how long it took many of those who reached waist or elbow from their shoulder.

How many trims did you get?

Any change in growth rate when you changed your routine?

Did your diameter change?

for those who reached past it after not being able to reach it for a while, what changed your plateau (not just WL but any length. [example: you were never able to get past apl in the past but you changed something and now you are past apl])

darklyndsea
March 28th, 2014, 11:33 PM
About a year and a half, no trims or change in routine. I assume my circumference didn't change, but this was pre-LHC so I don't have any data.

Nadine <3
March 29th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Watching this thread :) Curious.

MinderMutsig
March 29th, 2014, 02:08 AM
A little over 3 years with regular microtrims but it had a long way to travel. I have no idea how much was trimmed or how many trims I had. I trim when I feel it needs it and measure at the time how long it was and is before and after but don't make a record of it.

On average though I trim way less than a month's growth every 3-4 months or so. My hair really needs this to stay in good condition and I want to have good hair now, not X years from now when I reached my goal and finally grew out all the damage that it acquired along the way.

I don't think any routine effected my growth rate but it's hard to tell since nearly everyone experiences growth spurts for whatever reason.
Anything could be responsible: season, diet, exercise, weather, health, products etc.

My circumference slightly decreased actually which I believe us due to two reasons. One I experienced a shed that I think I get every couple of years. And two my hair is in better condition so it lies better and is less frizzy.

I never experienced a plateau because I never tried to grow this long.

ErinLeigh
March 29th, 2014, 02:25 AM
This site has a good guess. I find the stages to be fairly accurate.depending on trim schedules. I find it fun to imagine the different lengths and time it will take.
Keep in mind of course I only have knowledge of this working up to APL.
http://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-lengths2.htm

ErinLeigh
March 29th, 2014, 02:31 AM
A little over 3 years with regular microtrims but it had a long way to travel. I have no idea how much was trimmed or how many trims I had. I trim when I feel it needs it and measure at the time how long it was and is before and after but don't make a record of it.

On average though I trim way less than a month's growth every 3-4 months or so. My hair really needs this to stay in good condition and I want to have good hair now, not X years from now when I reached my goal and finally grew out all the damage that it acquired along the way.

I don't think any routine effected my growth rate but it's hard to tell since nearly everyone experiences growth spurts for whatever reason.
Anything could be responsible: season, diet, exercise, weather, health, products etc.

My circumference slightly decreased actually which I believe us due to two reasons. One I experienced a shed that I think I get every couple of years. And two my hair is in better condition so it lies better and is less frizzy.

I never experienced a plateau because I never tried to grow this long.

thank you for such a detailed answer. I really appreciated it.

Marika
March 29th, 2014, 04:24 AM
I chopped off my hair to barely shoulders in June 2012. Now it's March 2014 and I'm almost at waist (longest hairs). And I'm overweight so back rolls eat up my length a little bit! :grnbiggri I have had one trim (little less than an inch) during this time. My hair growth is pretty average but I think it grew faster than normal last year because I was pregnant. Diameter hasn't really change but I have some breakage which is growing -> length is getting thicker. I hope I don't get any postpartum shedding (baby is 5 months).

I've never experienced a plateau (I was at tbl before the big chop) and my routine has always been the same no matter what length my hair is.

Tini'sNewHair
March 29th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Roughly two years with very minimal trims. My routine is super simple, I wash every 4 days and wear my hair up with sticks and braids 95% of the time.

SleepyTangles
March 29th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Two years and half, more or less. It took two years to go from APL to Waist with a lot of trims in beween... I was shoulder around November 2011 :).
It seemed like an eternity, but it grew really fast!
A friend of mine started growing out her hair in the same period: she was barely at shoulder and now she is at tailbone - no trims in between.

jacqueline101
March 29th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Watching this thread :) Curious.

Same here. I've been a member for over a year I trimmed and now I'm not trimming. I'm wondering if I will ever make it.

XcaliburGirl
March 29th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I'm not at waist yet, but I estimate it will be 2.5 years with one small trim. My hair grows about 0.5" per month.

DancingQueen
March 29th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I will tell you when I get there; you might have to wait a few years, though. :)

cdonald2
March 29th, 2014, 09:16 AM
@Erinleigh the link you posted AWESOME. thanks for the responses on this everyone! :D

LauraLongLocks
March 29th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Mine took just over 4 years to get from this...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/16443_1272620059131_5634775_n-1-1.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/16443_1272620059131_5634775_n-1-1.jpg.html)

...to where I am now in my signature pic. I got trims every 3-4 months. After seeing how quickly others made it from shoulder to waist, I think a lot more was cut off in my trims than I needed/wanted. I was just not serious in my hair growth journey yet, and was getting trims because that's just what I thought I needed to do. No trims for 2014, so I should be able to see some good growth this year, I hope.

rosaacicularis
March 29th, 2014, 10:09 AM
It's been a year and seven months since I chopped damage out to a bit shorter than shoulder. So it'll be somewhere between 1.6 & 2 years for this head - at BSL now, but have a short waist, so should only be a couple more months.

veryhairyfairy
March 29th, 2014, 12:20 PM
How long did it take to get from shoulder to waist?
I was just barely shoulder in November of 2009, and I reached waist in January of 2013, so roughly three years.

I had a few one inch trims, and one 3-4 inch chop during that time. So I might have made if from shoulder to waist in as little as two years if I'd had healthy ends and didn't trim.

I believe the only thing that changed my growth rate was switching from a mainly carnivorous diet to a pescetarian diet almost three years ago, and I think that diet change slowed my growth (too little protein, I'm rectifying that now). I have never had a topical product increase my growth rate (and I've tried almost all of the popular ones).

I never measured my diameter until I was at waist, so I can't say.

I have never noticed a real growth plateau. There were months where I got almost no growth, but it always evened out over a few months to about 1/2" a month.

Rushli
March 29th, 2014, 12:32 PM
This site has a good guess. I find the stages to be fairly accurate.depending on trim schedules. I find it fun to imagine the different lengths and time it will take.
Keep in mind of course I only have knowledge of this working up to APL.
http://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-lengths2.htm

I am absolutely no help since I am not to waist nor kept track of things until recently, but I wanted to say, I like this link. I dont have to think much, it is all just right there!
Based on that chart, it should have taken me 28-30 months to reach MBL from just past chin. (I only know because I have a picture. I have no idea when I hit shoulder because I have no picture!) It would be 31 months at the end of this month. I have had 7 trims/styles and pretty much can guarantee at least an inch was cut off every time. I was also pregnant 11 months through this time (was 7 months pregnant when the picture was taken.) It seems the pregnancy extra growth balanced out the trims pretty well. I am not planning on getting pregnant for awhile, but I also am not trimming so I will be interested to see how growth goes from here on out. I should hit waist by Nov this year.

Bloom
March 29th, 2014, 02:52 PM
About 2 1/2 years. I trimmed about 3 inches off during that time. I didn't really do anything to change my routine

GoddessLocks
March 29th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Let's see. For me when I was 18 and grew it out I think it only took a year and a half and that was no trims. This time it's taking me nearly 3 years to get to waist because for a while I maintained at apl. I should be waist in a couple more months. If I didn't trim and maintain like I did I would have been there a while ago lol

jeanniet
March 29th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I don't know about shoulder to waist, but I grew chin to hip in just over three years. I did microtrims, which probably amounted to 2-3" in that period of time. My growth tends to be fairly consistent, but there were a few spurts in there. Once I grew about 3" in six weeks or so--why, I don't know--but there were a couple months, too, where I think I only grew 1/4" or so.

JadedByEntropy
March 30th, 2014, 12:30 AM
I made it in I guess about 2 years. a hand length per year consistently...I measure in fingers xD

mrs_coffee
March 30th, 2014, 01:12 PM
It took three years for me to go from pixie to waist, but I think my hair grows faster than average. I cut to just below my ear (although I called it chin) in January and I'm already an inch or less from shoulder.

grimsqueaker
March 30th, 2014, 03:18 PM
When I chopped to just below CBL, it took about 2 years to get to waist, but I was flat ironing and ripping a brush through my hair at the time, so that's probably not accurate. I don't know how long I went in between trims, but I'll hazard a guess of 4-6 months. My hair grows anywhere from .75-1.2 inches a month, depending on numerous factors, but I'm sure if I treated it as well as I do now, it would be at shoulder to waist in about 16-18 months. We'll see eventually, I guess!

Vanilla
March 30th, 2014, 04:26 PM
It took me about 2 years from shoulder length to waist, with twice yearly trims.

Carolyn
March 30th, 2014, 07:16 PM
It took me between 4 and 5 years. My average growth rate is 1/2" per month and I regularly trimmed about an inch every 4 months. So my net gain was about 3" per year. I might have gained about 1/4" in circumference but I was growing out bangs and layers so that maybe have contributed to the higher number. I'm on the taller side and am very long waisted. Waist is 33" on me. It seemed like it took forever the first time I was growing to waist. I've grown beyond and cut back 3 times and now it seems to grow back really fast. I think it's because I'm not all that concerned about length now.

ladonna
March 30th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I at hip and it's taken 2.5 years. I trim do 1/2 inch or less trims every few months.

GoldenSilk
March 30th, 2014, 11:23 PM
I decided to grow my hair out again seriously when I first started dating my boyfriend a little over 3 years ago. (His was longer than mine and I bet him I could pass him within a year. I won. :P) At that time, it was above BSL, maybe as high as APL, but I hadn't been shoulder since my big chop in 2007. It took me a year to pass my boyfriend at waist, then about another year to get to hip with some trims, then I trimmed more often and am now maintaining around tailbone length, my goal, since early this year. (I have a short torso, so that does mean I hit milestones faster than most.)

My hair grows quickly, but it also gets damaged easily from tangles. I don't think anything slows my hair growth down, but it definitely slows my "usable" growth a lot to grow without trimming. Anything more than six months trimless, and my ends could and did turn into complete velcro faster than my scalp hair could grow. Regular S&D helps with this, but can be very time consuming.

You could probably get less damage at the ends than me if you're not tangle prone, or if you stuck to a regular oiling/conditioning schedule for your ends... I'm really scattershot at times!

I wish I could put numbers to the process, but I prefer not to measure, for my own sanity.

CindiAnnwynbri
March 31st, 2014, 03:40 AM
Thank you for the link to this chart and information, it was just what I was looking for. It confirmed for me that I'm at ear length (sadly) and will take me about 3 years to get back to waist length hair, which is about right for the last time I grew it out.

FuzzyBlackWaves
March 31st, 2014, 07:23 AM
It took me about 3 or 4 months from shoulder to BSL and it's taken me a year with trims to get from BSL to an inch or so away from waist.

cdonald2
March 31st, 2014, 08:55 AM
i think its so interesting to see how different routines affect hair length or diameter :) thanks for all the awesome responses everyone

Scarlet_Heart
April 1st, 2014, 08:40 AM
I went from chin to waist in just under 3 years.

Aeltt
April 9th, 2014, 03:34 PM
It took me a year from shoulder to BSL and another year from BSL to waist. So two years. (I just did a post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121742) actually, if you want to see)
It was without trims (or maybe micro trims but not often), plus I'm 5 feet tall and have a short torso.
I was wearing my hair up most of the time back then and had cut off heat styling so it wasn't damaged. Now I wear it down more often and it's becoming to get really damaged, I'm afraid it's slowing down the growth :/ So my advice would be braids and buns.
My hair was still thick, though obviously more tapered since I didn't trim but nothing dramatic.

cobden 28
April 9th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Took me four years. I have a formal photo taken September 2004 where my hair was just that little bit too short to tie back in a ponytail at the nape of my neck, and in 2008 when I returned to work after 18 months' sick leave I could tuck the ends into my waistband.

Had to then cut it off to just past shoulder-length to get rid of lots of scruffy-looking split ends. It's now back to waist again.

swearnsue
April 9th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Same here. I've been a member for over a year I trimmed and now I'm not trimming. I'm wondering if I will ever make it.

I know what you mean! I've been a member for almost 3 years! Let's not get discouraged, KEEP ON GROWING!!! ok?

swearnsue
April 9th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I'm at 23 inches (which I'm calling BSL) and waist will be 32 inches. This means I need to grow 9 more inches! My goodness, that's a year and a half if I don't need to trim.

Well, now that I think about it my goal was waist by age 65, so actually I'm ahead of schedule because I'll be waist by 62.

Of the Fae
April 15th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I don't know about shoulder to waist, but I grew chin to hip in just over three years. I did microtrims, which probably amounted to 2-3" in that period of time. My growth tends to be fairly consistent, but there were a few spurts in there. Once I grew about 3" in six weeks or so--why, I don't know--but there were a couple months, too, where I think I only grew 1/4" or so.

Wait what? How! I want to know, I am at chin :P

jacqueline101
April 15th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I know what you mean! I've been a member for almost 3 years! Let's not get discouraged, KEEP ON GROWING!!! ok?

I've finally seen progress in my hair. I've made it to bsl in my measurement system. I'm about 6 inches from waist. I'm glad I've made it this far. I've started getting more serious about my hair. I wear it in a satin sleep cap. I'm back to oiling it, leave in conditioner, wearing it braided and s&d my splits. I'm going to start deep conditioning weekly. I've been using a protein shampoo and conditioner. I think I'm going to see how it goes. I've got off monistat for a moment. I'm using a growth deal I came up with its baume hair plus conditioner in a 4 ounce spray bottle diluted with water. I put a teaspoon in it. I spray it on my scalp. I haven't had any shedding or bad reactions to the conditioner.

LongHairLesbian
April 15th, 2014, 07:28 PM
It took me almost three years to get from just above SL to just past WL. I wasn't keeping close track of how many trims I was getting, so I can't say how many I got, but I trimmed regularly. I thought that you absolutely NEEDED to get trims often in order to have healthy hair, but now that I know better, 2014 is going to be a trimless year. :) We will see how much good length that yields.

-Not really. I don't believe that changing a hair care routine can permanently alter your growth rate, maybe your diet? Even then, I don't notice a difference. Changing my routine was good for the quality of my growth, though. Quitting heat, quitting wet brushing/combing (despite my hatred of finger combing), and getting addicted to conditioning, oiling, and braiding my hair has made a world of difference. I have very few splits, and even the last three inches of my hair are soft and shiny. :) Ultimately, I think these are the things that matter the most. Almost everyone can get to waist length eventually, if they are patient and willing to stick with it. Just keeping treating your hair right, and it will pay off when you finally do reach waist with beautiful, well-cared for hair. :)

Ambystoma
April 15th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I went from chin to waist in just under 3 years.

Hey, me too! I trimmed a lot between chin and shoulder to even it up and get rid of dye, then just let it go for a while. I ended up needing about 4 inches off the ends to even up the hemline after a couple of non trimming years, but I just took them off a little at a time while still growing and went from waist to nearly tailbone throughout the next year.

LavenderStar
April 15th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I went from hair about an inch long all over (military cut) to now at my waist.....Nov2010 to now.....mind, I have not trimmed at all in that time. Im not really sure exactly when I was at SL, :hmm:

HumanBean
April 15th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Four. Two self-trims, two professional.

Not that I noticed.

Yes, but because of a shed, so not related to your question.

for those who reached past it after not being able to reach it for a while, what changed your plateau (not just WL but any length. [example: you were never able to get past apl in the past but you changed something and now you are past apl])
I don't have anything to add here, as I never really hit a plateau. The entire process took me two and a a half years. I joined here at shoulder length in Oct. 2011 and just reached waist a month or so ago.

jacqueline101
April 16th, 2014, 03:44 AM
I'm at 23 inches (which I'm calling BSL) and waist will be 32 inches. This means I need to grow 9 more inches! My goodness, that's a year and a half if I don't need to trim.

Well, now that I think about it my goal was waist by age 65, so actually I'm ahead of schedule because I'll be waist by 62.
I'm glad you're a head of schedule. I think I'm about 6 inches away from waist.

MaryO
April 16th, 2014, 05:30 AM
I am very happy for the people who say that it took three years for instance, I have a feeling that in three year's time I might be a MBL(at about APL right now). I have only trimmed once in about two years (about a cm) but my hair seems to grow at a glacial pace... Well, a girl can hope anyways! ;-)

Wildcat Diva
April 16th, 2014, 07:06 AM
It took me about 3 or 4 months from shoulder to BSL and it's taken me a year with trims to get from BSL to an inch or so away from waist.

I'm wondering if you truly mean months. If you do, I will pound my desk in exasperation about the unfairness of it all. And then bow to your hair growing prowess. Three or four months, is about two inches of growth on a normal person. There's got to be several more inches than that between your shoulder and your bra strap, unless you wear your bra as a shoulder shrug.

two_wheels
April 16th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I'm wondering if you truly mean months. If you do, I will pound my desk in exasperation about the unfairness of it all. And then bow to your hair growing prowess. Three or four months, is about two inches of growth on a normal person. There's got to be several more inches than that between your shoulder and your bra strap, unless you wear your bra as a shoulder shrug.

I heartily concur. I hit shoulder last summer and am still not APL. 10 inches from shoulder to BSL on me. Long torso also means I have to get tops from the special shop. Pound pound pound...

ETA- maybe if you call shoulder 2 inches lower, and BSL at top of bra strap instead of bottom, that might be say 6 inches? And then if you had curls that relaxed a lot between shoulder and BSL, either from being weighed down or by using henna or something? Then I can imagine it.

Frozen_Farmgirl
April 16th, 2014, 07:41 PM
It took me about 4 years to go from shoulder to waist. However during the four years I had several major trims to try and even p my hair s. Had these trims been smaller I probably would have reached waist length sooner.I switched to natural hair products 1.5-2 years ago, haven't seen much change in growth rate.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 17th, 2014, 03:56 AM
I would say about two and a half years for me from shoulder to waist. I joined here with a little below shoulder length in 2012 (see my avatar pic) and am now a whisper away from waist. ETA: I had two trims during that time.