PDA

View Full Version : Grey hairs at 23?

MissCharizard
March 27th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Hello all! It's been a long time since I posted here.
Anyway, I stopped dying my hair about a year ago and I noticed, to my horror, that I have a few white hairs at the crown of my head! I'm only 23 years old and pretty freaked about it, I asked my mom and she said she noticed her first grey in her 30s. What are my options? Opinions? I'm so sad I finally stopped dying my hair to find something like this out.

Aderyn
March 27th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Nothing to worry about. I've noticed some white hairs (5-10) when I was a young teen and haven't noticed an increase in the number since (almost 21 now). Seems as though most don't notice a significant increase in grays until their late thirties/forties.

Even if you do go gray early, rocking a head of gray or white hair is just awesome and stunningly beautiful in its own right.

Here is a recent thread about pre mature grays.

blace
March 27th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all.
DH (26) has many of them mixed throughout his hair.
His sister (21), whose TBL hair I just trimmed, was rather surprised when I let her know that she had a few white strands starting at her crown.

I stopped coloring about a year ago and have yet to see any. I'd weirdly be excited if I did come across any.

mamaherrera
March 27th, 2014, 09:15 PM
YEs I super freaked out too!! At 28, I found a couple and now at 33, I've gotten more, to me it seems like a lot. but it could be worse!! We all take different roads getting to the same place.

melomane
March 27th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Haha! Yesterday I actually posted the same thread -and I'm 15! Found my first at 14, so yeh ... My friend pulled the first one out, but I finally decided I don't mind having silver hair at a young age, I don't look old. My mom said she just noticed multiple in her 30s too. If you don't like them you could pluck them/clip them really short.

MissCharizard
March 27th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Haha! Yesterday I actually posted the same thread -and I'm 15! Found my first at 14, so yeh ... My friend pulled the first one out, but I finally decided I don't mind having silver hair at a young age, I don't look old. My mom said she just noticed multiple in her 30s too. If you don't like them you could pluck them/clip them really short.

Yes! Something must be in the water... something dastardly. :rolleyes: But reading everyone's stories makes me feel better. It seems a lot of people noticed a few when they were younger but it didn't become noticeable until later. I was just worried that all of the sudden my hair would go 50 percent grey or something.. I wouldn't like that! A few hairs isn't a huge deal I suppose. (I've seen about 3 or 4 so far now that I have been looking.)

dancingpoet
March 27th, 2014, 09:36 PM
When I was 20 and a half (pretty much exactly) I found my first gray/white hair. It was pretty much right on top of my head. Not long after that, I dyed my hair and I was always able to find it because the roots were growing in. It wasn't really so obvious, so it didn't bother me. I eventually sort of forgot about it, and I went to look for it a couple years ago, and it was gone. It has not since reappeared, but I'm not complaining. :o

HazelBug
March 28th, 2014, 01:06 AM
I was your age when I noticed a few random white hairs. I didn't really mind them. I just hope it means I might get a few natural hilights some day! Now that my roots are coming in again (coming off the hair dye. I dyed my hair black for a long time because I just love the color) I don't notice any increase. And I don't think anyone else will notice either. At least you aren't going bald. I had a friend who started balding at 17. (male pattern baldness. It was just in his genes)

nerdybrunette
March 28th, 2014, 01:21 AM
I noticed my first gray hair at about 11 years old. Just one though. Then in my senior year in high school I saw a few more. Now as I'm almost 30 years old I have quite a few. The texture is different as well, they are very coarse and have odd non-pretty waves in them. It's like they are deformed, not wavy. I love wavy hair but wow it's not pretty (to me). The color doesn't bother me. I am not one to dye my hair or use henna at all. All I want out of my hair is to be healthy, long-ish, look nice and feel nice. I don't really care about the color. I'm very fair skinned with a lot of ruddiness in my tone. I'm not sure if my hair will look attractive on my skin tone once it's all gray but for now it doesn't bother me.

Should I really feel grossed out by my gray hair I may tint it slightly with henna or something to only slightly change the color. I'm not sure if that's possible to do but I might look into it when the time comes.

Raven Mop
March 28th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Mine have motivated me to eat healthier so I thank them for that:D.

emilia1992
March 28th, 2014, 05:39 AM
A few scattered white hairs look great, especially in the bright sunshine, when it looks like you've either got subtle-but-eyecatching highlights, or super-shiny hair :)

lapushka
March 28th, 2014, 07:20 AM
I noticed my first in my early twenties as well. Nothing to worry about, as was said above. I'm over 40 now and have a light sprinkling of white, not even noticeable. 98% of my head is still covered in color. Look at it that way! It often takes decades to really go gray, and I'm not even there yet.

Asrai
March 28th, 2014, 08:15 AM
I started sprouting greys after turning 22. A year later, I do have a few more, but not that many. Maybe like five or six total that I'm aware of. They aren't all that noticeable at all unless I go looking for them, but I'm weirdly fond of them because they are so bright & pretty. Though I am surprised I made it to 22 before getting any because early greying runs in my family. My great-grandfather had pure white hair by the time he turned 30.

Anje
March 28th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Eh, a few in your twenties is totally normal. The question is how fast they multiply.

I've had grays since I was a teenager, and while I have a few more now, they're just adding a bit of interest to otherwise dark hair. If they continue at this rate, I might have a streak or two that are noticeable to someone who isn't studying my hair by the time I'm in my 50s.

My husband had grays from a similar age, but his have multiplied quicker. At 37, he's salt and pepper, with a mostly white beard.

So, yeah, the age when you get them isn't much indicator of anything.

dellad
March 28th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I'm currently 29. A few months ago, I found a hair that was dark brown (my natural color) at the roots and the tips, but was grey for a few inches in the middle of the length. It's like that hair had started to go grey but changed its mind. Maybe your grey won't stay grey?

BlazingHeart
March 29th, 2014, 06:00 PM
I spotted. My first at about 18. I'm now 30, and I have them scattered through my hair, but you really don't see them unless you look for them.

JadedByEntropy
March 30th, 2014, 12:10 AM
When I was a blond little kid I had everything from white to black hair. As it got darker I lost the variation and would LOVE to have the natural grays back. I'm 23 too.

Aderyn
March 30th, 2014, 12:11 AM
I'm currently 29. A few months ago, I found a hair that was dark brown (my natural color) at the roots and the tips, but was grey for a few inches in the middle of the length. It's like that hair had started to go grey but changed its mind. Maybe your grey won't stay grey?

That is so strange! I wonder how that works out, hahaha!

Dee14
March 30th, 2014, 01:21 AM
While I love the look of white hair and agree it's nothing to worry about in that regard, I just want to mention that if you notice them increasing, you may want to have your thyroid checked. Many times early graying/white hair is an indicator of something amiss with the thyroid. If your doctor agrees to check, ask for the TSH as well as T3 and T4 tests. Don't give up right away if he tells you something is in range or "just a little off" either, if you feel like you may have other symptoms of it. The level of thyroid hormones each person needs to feel and function well can be very different from the average range.

NataschaB.
March 30th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I think I found my first grey strand when I was 19. I'm 21 now and I've noticed a few grey hairs recently. So I've got them too and I'm younger than you. You're not alone :)

Annibelle
March 30th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I had white hairs growing in a clump at my nape, which made for cool-looking buns, but after a few months they started growing dark again. :( Not sure what that was all about!

rena
April 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM
I found my first gray at 18 years old, and have been regularly finding them ever since. I'd say I'll notice one or two in the shed hairs of my comb every other month or so. My dad was so gray by his 20's that he started regularly dying his hair, while my mom is in her 60's now, and still has a nice amount of color. I honestly wouldn't worry. As long as you and your hair are healthy, I think that's what counts. Although, if you really don't like your sparklies, you just might be interested in henna.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35188 <--- The henna thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21 <--- Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare threads.

Good luck!

ameliajane
April 1st, 2014, 11:44 AM
I'm sixteen and I get them