PDA

View Full Version : why your friends say your buns are small

chen bao jun
March 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM
The pics on the bottom are what they are used to seeing for buns. the pics are the top are the ladies' actual hair in buns. Most of us are somewhere in between, but will be considered small because we are not what people are used to seeing.
I have actually seen vids on youtube where the video maker scolded people for NOT using fake hair in buns, saying it looks tacky. I have no problem with people who want to use socks, scrunchies, fake hair or whatever, but its odd to have people make remarks about you when you don't (which one of my friends has done)
http://www.skinnyfatgirldiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_5009.jpg

ravenreed
March 27th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Tacky!? I think diminutive buns are kind of sweet and adorable.

alexis917
March 27th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Agreed!! I wish I had finer/thinner hair sometimes so I didn't end up with this lollipop-effect.

chen bao jun
March 27th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I think so too! we had a nice thread going on for a while where people showed them off. Also, of course they grow with time--though not necessarily to the size of what the above actresses are sporting on top of their heads.

LongHairLesbian
March 27th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Wow! The difference between the two sets of pictures is shocking. I think the reason people are so into the "plumped up" buns is because they view them as a fashion statement, rather than a part of every day life as a way of protecting the hair. Most people, particularly young people, wear their hair down, and only bun their hair if they absolutely have to, or as a fashion accessory like the sock bun. They don't see the point of putting your hair in a bun, unless it looks huge and dramatic and on-trend. So when they see someone with a small (i.e. sockless) bun, they feel the need to point out that the bun is small, so the bun wearer realizes their "mistake" and plumps it up next time. :P The world outside LHC is a very different place, haha.

blace
March 27th, 2014, 07:41 PM
They don't see the point of putting your hair in a bun, unless it looks huge and dramatic and on-trend. So when they see someone with a small (i.e. sockless) bun, they feel the need to point out that the bun is small, so the bun wearer realizes their "mistake" and plumps it up next time. :P The world outside LHC is a very different place, haha.

Agreed. If I go to work with my tiny bun, people assume I woke up late or just don't care. If I make it poofed/trendy looking, then I'm doing something "right" and my hair looks "cute". I'm a fan of both looks personally.

Anje
March 27th, 2014, 07:44 PM
You're supposed to stuff your bra with balled-up socks, then? One would think by extension it's "tacky" to not stuff other things to be absurdly oversized.

mouse2cat
March 27th, 2014, 08:36 PM
So I started dating a man recently who has curly shoulder length hair that he wears in the most adorable sexy little bun I have ever seen in my life.

chen bao jun
March 27th, 2014, 08:53 PM
This pretty much hits the nail on the head, I think.
I think they are telling you you are a fashion faux pas. Of course just plain long hair put up, rather than at least a few layers and a little teasing and color, etc., is a fashion faux pas in itself.
I also find the picture differences very interesting. I believe both Kim Kardashian and J Lo actually have 'long hair' by non LHC standards, even without their extensions. I mean, at least APL-BSL. So what they are showing would really be a 'normal' bun without the sock or whatever it is in there. (I have no socks that would roll up to THAT size).

i
Wow! The difference between the two sets of pictures is shocking. I think the reason people are so into the "plumped up" buns is because they view them as a fashion statement, rather than a part of every day life as a way of protecting the hair. Most people, particularly young people, wear their hair down, and only bun their hair if they absolutely have to, or as a fashion accessory like the sock bun. They don't see the point of putting your hair in a bun, unless it looks huge and dramatic and on-trend. So when they see someone with a small (i.e. sockless) bun, they feel the need to point out that the bun is small, so the bun wearer realizes their "mistake" and plumps it up next time. :P The world outside LHC is a very different place, haha.

TheLuckyLurker
March 27th, 2014, 08:55 PM
It's funny; I remember when people who did use fake hair or other augmentation in their hair were "tacky".

LauraLongLocks
March 27th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Well, then, I can feel better about the bun I have. It isn't huge yet. I promise it will be, someday! Head-eating buns!

LongHairLesbian
March 28th, 2014, 12:00 AM
So I started dating a man recently who has curly shoulder length hair that he wears in the most adorable sexy little bun I have ever seen in my life.

This sounds so sweet, I can hardly take it. :crush: Glad you found a long haired cutie to spend time with!

Andeee
March 28th, 2014, 01:24 AM
The longer the hair, the bigger the bun, right? I don't think J-Lo's and what's-her-name's hair is long at all going by the bun size. The big bun is more of a fashion statement and does look more trendy rather than merely 'getting it up and off your face'.

ErinLeigh
March 28th, 2014, 02:30 AM
HA! My bun is the size of a golf ball. Who knew I was a walking faux paus?

emilia1992
March 28th, 2014, 03:29 AM
It's become the trend around where I'm living to have these massive buns piled right on top of the head; I've seen the accessories used to make them - giant hair doughnuts. I'm not sure if I like them; it's like the person's wearing a hat made out of a small animal (though, of course, each to their own!)

kaydana
March 28th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Well I guess that explains why someone expressed surprise at how all my hair manages to fit into "such a small bun" the other day. She said it must be really thin, so I took it down to show her that it wasn't and she looked ever so confused.

It's become the trend around where I'm living to have these massive buns piled right on top of the head; I've seen the accessories used to make them - giant hair doughnuts. I'm not sure if I like them; it's like the person's wearing a hat made out of a small animal (though, of course, each to their own!)

I always think the resulting hairstyle looks a little bit like a hair hat...

Stray_mind
March 28th, 2014, 04:28 AM
I never liked sock buns or other artificially enhanced buns. It just doesn't look right on people's heads for me...I've seen some really big natural buns here on LHC and just walking down the streets or riding a bus.. It's all about lenght and thickness of hair i think. And i can't understand why people should make such remarks about other people's buns... It's untactical, ignorant and rude.

Rosetta
March 28th, 2014, 04:56 AM
I must admit the bigger buns (in the photo in 1st post) look more esthetically pleasing... But that doesn't mean that everyone should "enhance" their buns that way.

shutterpillar
March 28th, 2014, 05:30 AM
I really like the buns in the bottom photos, and I like the ones on the top as well. They all look very sleek and classy.

The trend around here seems to be something like this, which I am not a fan of:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8401850709_57090ca57d_h.jpg

Like someone else said... it reminds me of a hair hat. (No offense to those that actually like those buns, but I prefer something more settled onto the back of my head rather than right on the top.)

kganihanova
March 28th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Ugh hate this! I just hate how perfectly formed the sock buns are as well as how people than proceed to ask me why mine is so small!

chen bao jun
March 28th, 2014, 06:27 AM
The longer the hair, the bigger the bun, right? I don't think J-Lo's and what's-her-name's hair is long at all going by the bun size. The big bun is more of a fashion statement and does look more trendy rather than merely 'getting it up and off your face'.

Not necessarily.Some people have more 'compactible' hair and can grow very long and not have a 'head-eating' bun. I think how big the bun looks is a combination of length, thickness, taper and the actual bun style. Some styles look bigger than others. Also, hair toy can factor in. My buns look bigger when I use a Jeterfork than when I use a 60th street for some reason.
The two actresses both have APL to BSL length hair, which is not long by LHC standards but long in the regular world. Of course they are usually seen with hair extensions, especially KK.

mouse2cat
March 28th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I really really don't want to imagine what my hair would look like with a sock in it. I already have a hair hat going on

lapushka
March 28th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Even though head-eating buns have their charm. It sure isn't what I'd want to wear on a day to day basis.

mouse2cat
March 28th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Sometimes the bun gets hungry.

Crumpet
March 28th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Not necessarily.Some people have more 'compactible' hair and can grow very long and not have a 'head-eating' bun. I think how big the bun looks is a combination of length, thickness, taper and the actual bun style. Some styles look bigger than others. Also, hair toy can factor in. My buns look bigger when I use a Jeterfork than when I use a 60th street for some reason.

YES! I have highly compactible (great word!) hair. People are always stunned when I take it down because they assume its BSL or shorter. Really, its just what happens if you wind fine hair up in a fairly tight bun. Hair bling makes a difference for me too! Flexi-8s make my hair look smaller, for some unknown reason.

Cania
March 28th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Why people feel like you should give a damn about their opinion, I'll never know!

Advantage of natural bun over sock - pulling out my hair stick, shaking my head and letting my hair tumble down in all it's glory. Doesn't look so great with laundry falling out of it ;)

chen bao jun
March 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Cania, you made me laugh so much that I was glad I didn't have something in my mouth.
Crumpet, I did find that the when I squished my hair into a large flexi, it fit AND made it look less hair, which is not so bad, but also hurt. the XL remains a bit too bit, but is getting better. Maybe the size you are in is not quite right? (although to be truthful, I'm not a flexi lover so don't think it matter much. something about all those beads)

Toffeemonster
March 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
You're supposed to stuff your bra with balled-up socks, then? One would think by extension it's "tacky" to not stuff other things to be absurdly oversized.

haha brilliant!

Crumpet
March 28th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Cania, you made me laugh so much that I was glad I didn't have something in my mouth.
Crumpet, I did find that the when I squished my hair into a large flexi, it fit AND made it look less hair, which is not so bad, but also hurt. the XL remains a bit too bit, but is getting better. Maybe the size you are in is not quite right? (although to be truthful, I'm not a flexi lover so don't think it matter much. something about all those beads)

My size might be a bit small for me, for sure. I agree. I love flexis on others, but I just don't grab for them as often as sticks, forks and ficcares. I'm happy with my two flexis for now and enjoy them when I do grab them!

kaydana
March 28th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Why people feel like you should give a damn about their opinion, I'll never know!

Advantage of natural bun over sock - pulling out my hair stick, shaking my head and letting my hair tumble down in all it's glory. Doesn't look so great with laundry falling out of it ;)

On the other hand... if you're out walking and develop a blister, having an extra sock or two hiding in your bun could be quite useful. And if someone else develops a blister you just need to flick your hair in their direction to give them a spare sock. You could even tuck some plasters into it and have a full blown blister treatment pack hiding out in your hair.

Unofficial_Rose
March 28th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Me too! I had no idea. Better use some fake hair so as not to look 'tacky'. Hmm, not sure about the logic of that statement :)

Kina
March 28th, 2014, 12:46 PM
On the other hand... if you're out walking and develop a blister, having an extra sock or two hiding in your bun could be quite useful. And if someone else develops a blister you just need to flick your hair in their direction to give them a spare sock. You could even tuck some plasters into it and have a full blown blister treatment pack hiding out in your hair.

There are some that would hide a full first aid kit...

LauraLongLocks
March 28th, 2014, 02:31 PM

I am rolling on the floor here! Ha ha ha! You ladies are so funny!

mouse2cat
March 28th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I would be really curious to see a monster sock bun made by someone with natural thick head eating hair. Just to see how monstrously large it could be.

Still I love the natural look.

MadeiraD
March 28th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Personally I'm all about over the top hairdos, and love me some fake hair, but making it mandatory, that's pretty dang stupid

chen bao jun
March 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM
If some of the thick and long haired ladies on here put a sock in it, I don't think they'd be able to hold their heads up without help.
To each their own. I will have to keep going around with my 'tacky' little bun at least until my hair grows longer. it would never be long enough for some people though. I have seen some ladies on here with ginormous talk about friends telling them their buns are too small :D
what honestly scares me though is not the socks so much as this kind of thing that look honestly like a brillo pad donut. I see them selling in Sally's and Walmart and I'm like, I don't see how you could get that out of your hair without taking half of your hair with it.
My sister did an interesting thing at her daughter's wedding, I don't know exactly how she did it. But I would have thought it was a real braided bun, not a sock bun or anything, except that I know her and I know she doesn't have enough hair for it to be real. If I didn't know her though, i would have thought it was. It was big, but not ginormous and not sitting on top of her head like a hat and just very, very realistic, but I didn't ask her about it because when I do ask her stuff like that, she immediately wants to show me what she did--on MY hair. I haven't let my sister near my head since the day she tried to get me to let her to practice gluing in extensions on me (there was no way in heck that was going to happen, but she got all mad about it when refused, go figure).

LauraLongLocks
March 28th, 2014, 04:22 PM
On my straight slippery hair those brillo-pad looking bun forms slide right out, no problem. I actually like them better than real socks because you can easily stick pins through them.

Stormynights
March 28th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Bun size and bun placement seem to me to be a matter of choice. I don't like low buns on me, but on most they are gorgeous. I have osteoporosis and a low bun just draws more attention to it. Top buns look a little strange on me, I think, but look a little better.

AmyBeth
March 28th, 2014, 04:32 PM
My sentiments exactly! Personally, I'm an equal opportunity bun-liker. All shapes and sizes. I'm happy that I have to work harder to make my buns look small than I do to make them look big, though.

duchess67
March 28th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Quite an interesting pic, thanks chen

I certainly fall in the top category ;) waiting for my hair to be a bit longer, then hopefully my buns will be slightly bigger, who knows. Have to wait and see. I've never used anything artificial, sock or extensions to enhance my buns or make my hair look thicker or longer ever. Maybe later in life, I might need some outside help for my buns:D

~Abi~
March 28th, 2014, 05:54 PM
I used to use those brillo-pad looking bun forms, simply because with how short my hair is, I can actually get it to stay in a bun that way with a billion pins. Hurrah for Army regs requiring neat, fly-away free, buns. Now that I can just barely twist my hair into a bun with a scrunchie, forget about the bun form. Anyways, sock buns have their place, but I don't care how big or small my bun is!

DweamGoiL
March 28th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Dismorphed perceptions of body image set by the fashion industry and trickled down to the masses. Same idea as the reason why skinnier than healthy is in and most people aspire to this particular trend.

lunasea
March 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM
This is the best thread ever! Not only do I feel better about the size of my bun, but at times I was ROTFL! I can't even use those bun forms. Even though my hair is close to APL, it's fine and thin and you can still see the form after I get it in there. If I went out of the house that way I'm sure somebody would feel compelled to ask me how I got the dish scrubber caught in my hair......Of course I'd always have it with me if I saw something that needed cleaned!

chen bao jun
March 28th, 2014, 08:01 PM
oooh, the dish scrubber bun forms (love that description lunasea) are for people with straight hair that doesn't catch on everything, stay stuck and tangle! I am slow, but I get it now. Also, you can stick actual pins in them! Makes sense. Of course if I stuck a pin in my hair, I'd never find it again. Actual pencils have got lost in there until wash day, with me being unaware. Of course, this was when I used to wear loose hair, which I don't do much anymore. this thread is an education.
And yes, I would definitely call something that looks like a hair hat, dysmorphic. Or something. While I respect people's right to like the sock buns, no one can say that they look natural, at least not when they get to the size that those actresses are sporting. You really could hide a whole first aid kit up there. I wonder how they manage when they travel--how the TSA reacts to--- that.

Seeshami
March 28th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Now I understand why one of my best customers bets people he refers to me how long my hair is and always wins because people think it's bra strap length.

LauraLongLocks
March 28th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Here's my biggest sock bun form. It's huge, and I love it. I got it at Claire's. I know I'm not fooling anyone, but it's fun every now and then.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/001.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/001.jpg.html)

And I can get a fairly large bun if I do a woven bun. Check this one out.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/004-2.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/004-2.jpg.html)

But most of my buns are much more "normal" sized. Here's a self-held nautilus.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/self-heldnautilus001.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/self-heldnautilus001.jpg.html)

RoseofCimarron
March 29th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Your buns are so beautiful Laura! And the kiddo is pretty cute too. :)

I've used a sock bun a few times, maybe 4 or 5? One time was just putting the sock-doughnut around my ponytail, securing my hair over it with a hairtie, braiding the leftover hair and pinning it around the bun. It worked really well for it's purpose. I was going to a fair and rodeo and I needed a bun that wouldn't hurt me or my cousins on the rides (so no hairsticks, and my hair was too long to wear in a single braid), and this was padded enough to feel comfortable. The other times I did it I tried rolling my hair up around the sock starting at the ends to get pretty curls. The curls were pretty, but I have to use two doughnuts and do Princess Leia buns that hang around my shoulders! It looks pretty funny. :lol:

I think tiny buns are look very nice. The only buns that look "tacky" to me are the huge purposely-pulled-apart messes that people (JLO included) wear on top of their heads that look like birds nests. I also don't really like the pulled-apart braid look. Sometimes I think that it doesn't matter how big your bun is, if it is naturally that size people will still think it is small. My hair is mid-thigh (almost knee) length and I have a 4.5-5 inch bun diameter and I still get the, "You have really long hair? But your bun is so small! It must be really thin." comments :rolleyes:

HazelBug
March 29th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Sock buns can be huge then! I'm not actually sure how they are done. But when I have more length I can make a huge bun by doing a lot of braids and bunning them. Well, it looks huge to me at least.

Toffeemonster
March 29th, 2014, 03:39 AM
Here's my biggest sock bun form. It's huge, and I love it. I got it at Claire's. I know I'm not fooling anyone, but it's fun every now and then.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/001.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/001.jpg.html)

And I can get a fairly large bun if I do a woven bun. Check this one out.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/004-2.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/004-2.jpg.html)

But most of my buns are much more "normal" sized. Here's a self-held nautilus.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/self-heldnautilus001.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/self-heldnautilus001.jpg.html)

Please tell me how you do that woven bun! (a link to youtube would be super, if one exists)

I also have one of those dishwasher donut buns. I got it cause it was super cheap and I was sick of always having my hair in a ponytail. It doesn't catch my hair at all, but I've to use a 100 bobby pins to hold it in, and that does catch my hair! It also takes ages, and isn't very secure, so I only used it once I think, for a historic walk in which we'd to dress like the people of the time. I'm not a big fan of the ones on top of head either, never tried that, it's a bit common here, among teenagers in tracksuits, wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Charybdis
March 29th, 2014, 03:41 AM

Hahahahah --yessss! My hair is not quite waist, and my most compact buns look like the "after" buns on J.Lo and Kim K (in terms of size, not neatness). I can't imagine putting something in it to make it bigger! I also can't imagine putting all that hair on top of my head and getting it all to stay there -- it would just fall right down, probably after giving me a headache.

I like the more elaborate detail that people with thinner/finer hair can achieve in their buns. If my hair ever gets long enough to do a Chinese braided bun, that thing will be the size of a dinner plate, rather than attractively subtle, KWIM?

pixldust
March 29th, 2014, 04:00 AM
This is the best thread ever! Not only do I feel better about the size of my bun, but at times I was ROTFL! I can't even use those bun forms. Even though my hair is close to APL, it's fine and thin and you can still see the form after I get it in there. If I went out of the house that way I'm sure somebody would feel compelled to ask me how I got the dish scrubber caught in my hair......Of course I'd always have it with me if I saw something that needed cleaned!

I stopped wearing my donut for the same reason. I was out and about on a very windy day, and once I'd used a public toilet I glanced in the mirror to check that my hair was still in place and that the wind hadn't blown my makeup off my face. I was horrified to discover that there was a gap in my hair right at the front ( and my bun had practically been on top if my head so it was clearly visible) and you could see part of the donut through it. Wether the wind had had a hand in it, or if I'd not checked it before I'd left the house I don't know. But I covered up the gap as best I coul and vowed never to wear it again. Thing is, I'd worn it loads of times before and it left me wondering if there had been other times when the donut had been visible :rolleyes:

ErinLeigh
March 29th, 2014, 04:10 AM
make that walnut sized i mean.

ErinLeigh
March 29th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Laura I love all 3 buns you posted. I will give special props to the woven one though, it is very cool.

I can't believe i lived 40 years not knowing little buns were a bad thing. I was very sheltered before coming here :)

DweamGoiL
March 29th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I personally like sock buns as an alternate style. It's not an every day thing, but I can't recall any other time I can get a bun to look so neat and perfectly round. I am not a big fan of the messy bun. I am not so interested in the plumping effect of the sock bun, but in the perfect form of the bun itself.

chen bao jun
March 29th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I have to say I am not a fan of messy buns. Especially when I see people demonstrate how to do them on youtube. All that backcombing, teasing and hairspray--ouch! If you can manage them without all that, though, I guess its just a matter of taste.
They do make your bun look about 2x as big and they are probably great for layered hair.
You can do all that to your hair if you like it short. I have a friend who has been teasing and backcombing for 20 years and her hair is a perfectly healthy shoulder length. But that's as long as she wants it, anyway, and she likes how much thicker it looks then, so...

LauraLongLocks
March 29th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Your buns are so beautiful Laura! And the kiddo is pretty cute too. :)

I've used a sock bun a few times, maybe 4 or 5? One time was just putting the sock-doughnut around my ponytail, securing my hair over it with a hairtie, braiding the leftover hair and pinning it around the bun. It worked really well for it's purpose. I was going to a fair and rodeo and I needed a bun that wouldn't hurt me or my cousins on the rides (so no hairsticks, and my hair was too long to wear in a single braid), and this was padded enough to feel comfortable. The other times I did it I tried rolling my hair up around the sock starting at the ends to get pretty curls. The curls were pretty, but I have to use two doughnuts and do Princess Leia buns that hang around my shoulders! It looks pretty funny. :lol:

I think tiny buns are look very nice. The only buns that look "tacky" to me are the huge purposely-pulled-apart messes that people (JLO included) wear on top of their heads that look like birds nests. I also don't really like the pulled-apart braid look. Sometimes I think that it doesn't matter how big your bun is, if it is naturally that size people will still think it is small. My hair is mid-thigh (almost knee) length and I have a 4.5-5 inch bun diameter and I still get the, "You have really long hair? But your bun is so small! It must be really thin." comments :rolleyes: Thank you, on both the hair compliment and the cute baby compliment... he's a doll. Maybe I am confusing you with someone else, but aren't you the one who was buying the Ficcare from Nordstrom and the lady told you in a few years you might have enough hair? LOL! A 4.5 to 5 inch diameter bun is big! I think your bun in your signature pic is really big.

Please tell me how you do that woven bun! (a link to youtube would be super, if one exists)

Here are two tutorials that helped me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPQzSUh3mbA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1D-YfJj15k I get confused trying to remember which way I'm going with it, and the one that is pictured, my 13 year old daughter actually did it for me. Since the picture, I have managed to do do it on myself, but it is a bit of a tricky bun. Good luck with it.

Laura I love all 3 buns you posted. I will give special props to the woven one though, it is very cool.

I can't believe i lived 40 years not knowing little buns were a bad thing. I was very sheltered before coming here :) Thank you. The woven bun is very neat looking. I like it.

My 12 year old daughter has a very puny bun, and she is embarrassed to bun or braid her hair because it compacts so much. She just doesn't have a lot of hair. I told her not to worry, that mine was that way at her age, too, but it has thickened as I have gotten older. Her hair isn't very long yet, about shoulder length, and was badly damaged from the pool. We had to cut off a lot of length because it was in such bad condition. The new growth is coming in and her hair is thickening. If I could just get her to stop ripping the comb through her tangles and breaking all the hair off, then she would have more hair. <sigh>

Night_Kitten
March 29th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the youtube links LauraLongLocks :)

I think most people think buns look bigger than they really are is because the only place most people get to see buns is the shots from the red carpet / celebrity event (lets face it - most people outside LHC don't wear buns or see "natural" buns on other people very often)...
People see the specially done "red carpet" buns and think that that's what a bun must look like...
What most people don't seem to get is that the same way one wouldn't wear a fancy evening dress everyday, one shouldn't "have" to wear a fancy "red carpet" hairstyle everyday (if only because it takes ages to do - not a good thing on a regular morning...).

Those "red carpet" buns look nice and sleek, and they're nice to wear every once in a while (for an event / going out), but to say that this is how a bun MUST look like and that any natural (ie smaller) bun is tacky? The stylist who said that needs a reality check IMHO... Implementing his logic we all MUST wear hot-couture evening dresses every day, because regular clothes look tacky... :rolleyes:

Seeshami
March 29th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I am going to stuff the naughty mess proportionally to what the before and after are from the op. Does any one know where they sell pillows the size of a basket ball?

Andeee
March 29th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I do a red carpet bun that turns into a very messy bun every day for work. Put it up in a nautilus bun, slick down the fly-aways with coconut oil or aloe gel and it's good to go, very sleek. By the end of the day it is a totally big old messy bun half falling down with fly-aways all over the place!

RoseofCimarron
March 29th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Yep that was me Laura. She had no idea how long my hair was. :) Thank you so much for the woven bun tutorial. I have been looking for that for ages!

I do my buns like Andeee, they start out nice and then they are messy by the end of the day. :silly:

chen bao jun
March 29th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Messy by the end of the day is a little different than this
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Messy-Bun
check out version #1.
RoseofCimarron, I keep looking at your very large bun and wondering what was wrong with that ficcare lady. Seeshami needs to go visit her after she gets the pillow the size of a basketball for the naughty mess.

LauraLongLocks
March 29th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Yep that was me Laura. She had no idea how long my hair was. :) Thank you so much for the woven bun tutorial. I have been looking for that for ages!

I do my buns like Andeee, they start out nice and then they are messy by the end of the day. :silly: Crazy Nordstrom employee. Seriously, I think you should have dropped your hair out of your bun right then and there and asked if that was enough hair. I would delight in doing something like that, for the shock factor. I just don't have that much hair yet.

I am going to stuff the naughty mess proportionally to what the before and after are from the op. Does any one know where they sell pillows the size of a basket ball? Ha ha! If I find a basketball size form, I'll mail it to you. The one I got at Claire's is very big, and if you did it up in a fully rolled sock bun, it would be enormous.

I'm not a fan of the intentionally messy bun, either. Messy from wearing all day is a different story. It's like buying jeans that already have holes in them to me... something I've never understood.

DweamGoiL
March 29th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I wanted to clarify when I stated not being a fan of "messy buns" I didn't mean buns that came loose or fell apart by the end of the day, but back-combing it into a messy tangly floppy loop on top of your head like this:

http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/487e4408f49c78c83b846a5229320bdb.jpg

This one does not recommend teasing the hair, but most of the tutorials do.

LongHairLesbian
March 29th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I wanted to clarify when I stated not being a fan of "messy buns" I didn't mean buns that came loose or fell apart by the end of the day, but back-combing it into a messy tangly floppy loop on top of your head like this:

http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/487e4408f49c78c83b846a5229320bdb.jpg

This one does not recommend teasing the hair, but most of the tutorials do.

To be honest, this looks like tangle city... which ruins the whole purpose of wearing your hair in a bun in the first place, imo

Wisteria
March 29th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Right now I don't have the hair for a bun to stay up, and when I did I only wore a messy bun at home. So I've never gotten any comments like these. I'm probably weird person or something, but I've never been able to entertain the thought of wearing a sock bun. Mainly because I like pairs (cutting one sock leaves one) and cutting two socks seems like a waste. Either way there's a problem for me.

Sometimes a small bun is a good thing. In middle school there was a breakout of louse and we all had to wear our hair in buns. I had a friend with tailbone length hair and I had close to waist length, my other friends had APL or shorter. We all whined about having to put up our hair and headaches.

Seeshami
March 29th, 2014, 10:48 PM
I present the much anticipated SKIRT bun. When a sock just isn't good enough. This is a rolled up maxi skirt bun. My favorite Maxi skirt to be precise I almost didn't have enough naughty mess to cover it.

The Naughty Mess says, "But in the end I eat all things"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/0b59ed81-7ab8-4a68-960a-b741d1c00a15_zps7d34cd22.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/0b59ed81-7ab8-4a68-960a-b741d1c00a15_zps7d34cd22.jpg.html)
:rollin: :rollin: behold the new sexy :puke:

And the sockless sock bun, when one wraps your hair around itself to create the same thing to compare. :rollin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/25bd64bd-5adb-420a-a3f3-352d9e63e92a_zps6187e010.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/25bd64bd-5adb-420a-a3f3-352d9e63e92a_zps6187e010.jpg.html)

And here is the skirt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/1c412336-9ec8-4ce9-b168-63ef688f03e6_zps898b4253.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/1c412336-9ec8-4ce9-b168-63ef688f03e6_zps898b4253.jpg.html)

Lydialove
March 29th, 2014, 10:54 PM
You crack me up.

Seeshami
March 29th, 2014, 10:58 PM
I sense a sudden fad of long hairs buying maxi skirts to wear in their hair.

Store: " What can I help you with"
Long hair: "Do you have any maxi skirts?"
Store: "Yes but only in the most hideous colors" :(
Long hair: "That's fine it's for my hair."
Store: " :disgust: "

Wisteria
March 29th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Seeshami, wow, that was my first thought. My second was "that is real." Your bun seems like one of those hairstyles a model would wear, with the addition of a shiny hair accessory and an impractical dress no one would wear daily. I've never seen anything like this, it's very inventive. :)

CurlyCap
March 30th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Lol. All my buns are big and messy. And not buns. Because I just take a scrunchie, pull my hair threw it somehow, and roll.

http://i.imgur.com/D3DJo5b.jpg?1

That's a 4" flower baby. Oh yeah.

Lydialove
March 30th, 2014, 01:42 AM
That is super cute, CurlyCap!

Andeee
March 30th, 2014, 01:42 AM
check out version #1..
Wow! Surely that young woman has plenty of thick long hair that would make a lovely bun without all of that yucky product and nasty tangle inducing teasing!

CurlyCap
March 30th, 2014, 01:49 AM
check out version #1.

While I can't say I like what she's doing to her hair, I gotta admit I love the style of that wiki how! The movies starting up as you scroll over them is amazingly useful!

jacqueline101
March 30th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Mine aren't messy but I'm assuming they're decent sized no one said anything about it. I do think the maxi skirt is funny.

walterSCAN
March 30th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I present the much anticipated SKIRT bun. When a sock just isn't good enough. This is a rolled up maxi skirt bun. My favorite Maxi skirt to be precise I almost didn't have enough naughty mess to cover it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/0b59ed81-7ab8-4a68-960a-b741d1c00a15_zps7d34cd22.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/0b59ed81-7ab8-4a68-960a-b741d1c00a15_zps7d34cd22.jpg.html)

And the sockless sock bun, when one wraps your hair around itself to create the same thing to compare. :rollin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/25bd64bd-5adb-420a-a3f3-352d9e63e92a_zps6187e010.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/25bd64bd-5adb-420a-a3f3-352d9e63e92a_zps6187e010.jpg.html)

And here is the skirt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/1c412336-9ec8-4ce9-b168-63ef688f03e6_zps898b4253.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/1c412336-9ec8-4ce9-b168-63ef688f03e6_zps898b4253.jpg.html)

Bahahahaaa!! That is excellent! :rollin:

veryhairyfairy
March 30th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Oh my, Seeshami, that is a serious hair hat! :rollin: :lol: :rollin:

One of my reasons for the deep-seated curl envy I possess is that ability to have ba-BAM hair so easily, CurlyCap, and your big buns are amazing! :flower: (lol, only on LHC is that an acceptable comment)

On topic; this is a phenomenon I am unfamiliar with (maybe because I haven't had female friends in my age range in forever). I can totally see why this weird dis-morphia would develop, though, just based on the 'buns' I see in school. Obviously I don't study each and every up-do I see in school, but of the ones I have noticed 100% of them are either based on a form (nothing wrong with that) or teased and poufed into a giant cloud (nothing wrong with that either). It just means that most of the women I've seen around here think buns most be enhanced in order to be fashionable (or possible, in some cases).
I would find it extremely frustrating to be told that my hair was very thin, or that it wasn't the length I said it was all because of some strange perception eff-up caused by the fashion world.

chen bao jun
March 30th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Oh, my goodness, the skirt bun!!! I am going to die laughing. the naughty mess outdoes itself again!
Curly Cap your bun is beautiful. I love the flower,too.
Very hairy fairy, you hit the nail on the head when you said, its frustrating to be questioned or even called deficient because you are not enhanced (one could say that about a few other things than buns, actually...)

veryhairyfairy
March 30th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Oh, my goodness, the skirt bun!!! I am going to die laughing. the naughty mess outdoes itself again!
Very hairy fairy, you hit the nail on the head when you said, its frustrating to be questioned or even called deficient because you are not enhanced (one could say that about a few other things than buns, actually...)

I understand the frustration (and really, anger in my case) because somebody who questions your claims about your own body is basically intimating that you are lying. That's a pretty severe insult in my world, and I never know how to respond.

Unofficial_Rose
March 30th, 2014, 10:34 AM

And here is the skirt.

That is just brilliant, hehe!

sarahthegemini
March 30th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Tbh I think those enhanced buns (what a phrase) that Kim K and J-Lo are sporting are horrendously tacky ...

sarahthegemini
March 30th, 2014, 10:38 AM
To be honest, this looks like tangle city... which ruins the whole purpose of wearing your hair in a bun in the first place, imo

Most people don't bun their hair to protect it tho.

Unofficial_Rose
March 30th, 2014, 10:38 AM

Pffft, yes! Most of the men on the beach on holiday have bigger boobs than me and now my bun is inadequate :o

Lippytoes
March 30th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Seeshami, that skirt bun made me literally LOL. Amazing :D

see_turtle
March 30th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I love big buns so much! I like the enhanced versions and the natural but the bigger the better in my opinion. I wear my hair in a version of the messy bun quite often when at home or on weekends( no hair spray or back combing though...) one of the biggest reasons I want long hair is for big buns, huge head dwarfing buns!! My hair does compress down down quite a bit I need a lot more hair to make my goal.

Seeshami
March 30th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Mine aren't messy but I'm assuming they're decent sized no one said anything about it. I do think the maxi skirt is funny.

Bahahahaaa!! That is excellent! :rollin:

Oh my, Seeshami, that is a serious hair hat! :rollin: :lol: :rollin:

That is just brilliant, hehe!

Seeshami, that skirt bun made me literally LOL. Amazing :D

:bow: the naughty mess says "next I eat a beach ball"

Lol. All my buns are big and messy. And not buns. Because I just take a scrunchie, pull my hair threw it somehow, and roll.

http://i.imgur.com/D3DJo5b.jpg?1

That's a 4" flower baby. Oh yeah.

But yours looks beautiful and normal because of your amazing curls. My big bun just looks silly.

Night_Kitten
March 30th, 2014, 02:02 PM
WOW Seeshami talk about a head-eating bun! :spitting: :happydance:That maxi-skirt idea was brilliant! :magic:
And you have a lovely face :)

Seeshami
March 30th, 2014, 02:23 PM
You just have to remember to wrap from the floor up to the waist or it gets super sidewonky

two_wheels
March 30th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Aaaaahahahaha the skirtbun, so much awesome.
(*whispers to hair: "One day, my friend. You have the naughty thing down already.")

I'm just happy to be able to do *a* bun after over 2y. And agree that it's totally rude to point it out. If someone pulled that on me, I think I'd ask them why their nose was so big or something similar.

oktobergoud
March 30th, 2014, 02:54 PM

Saaaame! I'm missing my small bun, my hair is getting longer now and now it's so big and ugh.. small buns are the cutest :D (not trying to offend anyone here with big buns haha, I just prefer them small ;D)

Crumpet
March 30th, 2014, 03:12 PM

I couldn't agree more! I've had people tell me that I'm lying about having waist+ length hair because my bun isn't huge. Your right. Its terrible to be called deficient for being what you are.

chen bao jun
March 30th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Crumpet, my friend that keeps saying I have a small bun doesn't say I'm lying. She looks gently puzzled and asks why I 'think' my hair is thick and tells me patiently that she doesn't understand how I could possibly make such a mistake, because after all my bun is so 'tiny' (her exact word). Then she tries to explain to me that I just 'think' my hair is thick because I have very curly hair. And then she kindly offers to 'show' me how to properly use claw clips (which break in my hair, but according to her that's just because I don't know how to use them) and tells me how she 'does nothing' to her obviously bleached blonde AND permed hair which she teases ferociously AND backcombs and which I was with her when she bought clip in extensions for before, and how its a shame I have to do 'so much' (like use leave in conditioner) and that she's sorry that my hair is so much trouble, as opposed to hers. And then she describes her hair as 'curls' even though she has a perm and has actually told me that her curls are 'real' even though they are not natural, presumably because they are larger size, and curls as small as mine are not actually curls. Then she piles her teased hair on top of her head in a teased and air filled mess and clips it with a claw clip so that it stays up and goes off complacently, offering to show me how to make my hair look just as nice whenever I decide to be reasonable enough to learn.
I think I'll send her Seeshame's skirt bun instructions. I can see her doing this and explaining that she had her own, real bun afterwards, because--well, I don't know what she'd come up with but she'd think of something. Maybe because it was her skirt?

Crumpet
March 30th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Chen -- I love it! I can see Seeshame's skirt bun catching on. Please try this out. I'd love to see it become a trend!

Yes, some people talk to me slowly and patiently to explain that I can't possibly have the length I think I do. If I take my hair down, they just stare. :)

Lindenare
March 30th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Hmm. Nobody's ever commented on my bun style, but that's likely because I've only started wearing buns in the past few weeks, when I learned that my hair was actually long enough to put up with hairsticks. Before then, my hair was always down or braided, so most people I know are aware of both the length and thickness of my hair. Also, my buns are already as big as most of the sock buns I see. I plan to grow at least to tailbone (only 2 inches away!), so they are only going to get bigger.

RoseofCimarron
March 30th, 2014, 06:04 PM
check out version #1.
RoseofCimarron, I keep looking at your very large bun and wondering what was wrong with that ficcare lady. Seeshami needs to go visit her after she gets the pillow the size of a basketball for the naughty mess.

Aww, thanks for saying my bun is very large. :flower: After seeing Seeshami's bun, I think she really does need to go see the Nordstrom lady! I went back there today, didn't see her and asked about her. Apparently she quit working there to go to cosmetology school to become... wait for it... a hairdresser! :lol:

Crazy Nordstrom employee. Seriously, I think you should have dropped your hair out of your bun right then and there and asked if that was enough hair. I would delight in doing something like that, for the shock factor. I just don't have that much hair yet.

I wish I did. I'm just a little self-conscious about doing things like that because when I was a little kid, my teachers always reprimanded me for being "too much of a show-off." I wasn't a show-off, I just talked too much. :) So now I get paranoid that I'm being a show off, I know it is crazy, but :shrug:

Don't worry about not having that much hair yet, you're getting there! And it looks very healthy and pretty!

Seeshami, that bun is insanely awesome! The Naughty Mess must have been hungry, are you feeding it enough? :)

That bun looks so classy and beautiful, CurlyCap! I love the yellow flower, it looks so pretty against your hair and skin. I wish I could make yellow look that good. :cool:

chen bao jun
March 30th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Aww, thanks for saying my bun is very large. :flower: After seeing Seeshami's bun, I think she really does need to go see the Nordstrom lady! I went back there today, didn't see her and asked about her. Apparently she quit working there to go to cosmetology school to become... wait for it... a hairdresser! :lol:

rofl. Life is amazing. the stuff that really happens--no one could make it up.
I can see her explaining to her clients how their hair is nothing like they always thought it was--

Seeshami
March 30th, 2014, 07:08 PM
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/45589665
The much anticipated tutorial.

LongHairLesbian
March 30th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Crumpet, my friend that keeps saying I have a small bun doesn't say I'm lying. She looks gently puzzled and asks why I 'think' my hair is thick and tells me patiently that she doesn't understand how I could possibly make such a mistake, because after all my bun is so 'tiny' (her exact word). Then she tries to explain to me that I just 'think' my hair is thick because I have very curly hair. And then she kindly offers to 'show' me how to properly use claw clips (which break in my hair, but according to her that's just because I don't know how to use them) and tells me how she 'does nothing' to her obviously bleached blonde AND permed hair which she teases ferociously AND backcombs and which I was with her when she bought clip in extensions for before, and how its a shame I have to do 'so much' (like use leave in conditioner) and that she's sorry that my hair is so much trouble, as opposed to hers. And then she describes her hair as 'curls' even though she has a perm and has actually told me that her curls are 'real' even though they are not natural, presumably because they are larger size, and curls as small as mine are not actually curls. Then she piles her teased hair on top of her head in a teased and air filled mess and clips it with a claw clip so that it stays up and goes off complacently, offering to show me how to make my hair look just as nice whenever I decide to be reasonable enough to learn.
I think I'll send her Seeshame's skirt bun instructions. I can see her doing this and explaining that she had her own, real bun afterwards, because--well, I don't know what she'd come up with but she'd think of something. Maybe because it was her skirt?

Your friend's attitude toward your hair is a complete nightmare. As if you don't know how much hair is on your own freaking head. You should tell her to try and do a bun with her hair, without extensions, bleach, perm, hair donuts, and teasing, and see how big her bun ends up being. Tightly coiled curls are still curls... arg! Just reading your post made me angry on your behalf. :P I think the problem I have is not with people who choose to use hair donuts, teasing, extensions, etc. Their hair, their choice. It's that these enhancements have become so standard and normalized, that people who choose not to make them are told that they must use the enhancements in order to be attractive and fashionable. Also, when people don't plump up their hair, they are told that they don't know their own bodies, that their hair MUST be thin and/or short, because the donut user's hair is so much bigger than theirs! ...after the donut/teasing/extensions go in. But they don't make the connection, because hair enhancements have become practically mandatory, if you want to make a bun hairstyle that is cute and trendy by society's standards.

Rosa Harris
March 30th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I don't know if this will actually share since I am new and not sure of the restrictions but this is my 'gear shifter' as my husband calls my bun. I'd always thought it had a pretty small show. being able to just rol my hair up real quick and go is one of the main reasons I love long hair. I got so trired of all the time spent styling and stuff plus hair in a bun is out of the way no matter what you are doing! people don't believe that my but long hair is easier to take care of than short hair - they are really missing out!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121893704@N04/13525786973/

Crumpet
March 30th, 2014, 07:44 PM

Best. Tutorial. Ever.

I hope you start a skirt bun revolution.

chen bao jun
March 30th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Yes, LLL, it is very interesting to me, the contortions people's brains can go through to miss the obvious. I spent half the time being mad at my friend when she goes into this mode and the other half just wanting to giggle at the total lack of logic. You should have seen the complete seriousness which with she assured me that her 'curls' (from the perm) are real. also the other day, she told me with a straight face that she's not really dyeing her hair blonde because no matter what box dye she chooses in the store , it always comes out the same color once it gets in her hair????? I suppose the box dye just brings out her natural blondness in her mind...
too funny. what is strange is that she is highly intelligent in other areas. And quite fun to be with when she is not on this subject.
Seeshami, thanks for posting that tutorial!
Rosa Harris, your bun looks nice.

LauraLongLocks
March 30th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Seeshami, that was a great tutorial. I now have a goal to be capable of a skirt bun! lol!

DweamGoiL
March 30th, 2014, 08:34 PM
That hair tutorial is a stroke of sarcastic genius...loving it!

Seeshami
March 30th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I can't imagine wanting a bun that large. It is actually uncomfortably heavy too.

Ingrid
March 30th, 2014, 08:55 PM
That hair tutorial is a stroke of sarcastic genius...loving it!

Agreed!!

Well done, Seeshami!

chen bao jun
March 30th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Can't see the tutorial, although I downloaded Ustream (was I supposed to?)

CurlyCap
March 30th, 2014, 09:10 PM

Omg. The sad thing is....I would totally wear my hair like that. I think it looks cool. Very '60s.

But my hair won't stay where it's put so no sock buns for me. T_T

Seeshami
March 30th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I can convert it to youtube tomorrow.

If it was all my hair, which is lighter then my skirt I would probably not mind. But it's so insanely big and heavy.

Seeshami
March 30th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Double post

JadedByEntropy
March 30th, 2014, 09:54 PM
when I saw this thread, I immediately began crafting a way to make a ridiculously huge bun... but you guys beat me to it! hahaha skirt bun is the best! now if only someone could pull off a skirt-bun-snowman ;) someone upload please! haha I doubt I can pull it off

Diamond.Eyes
March 30th, 2014, 10:42 PM
When I used to perform in dance as a child all of us had to wear hair donuts in our hair because according to our instructor it looked more perfected. At the time I thought it was the stupidest thing to ever touch my head, now I worship sockbuns on the mornings I want to sleep in. I have to admit that sockbuns can look a little too perfect and sometimes just downright strange. I find it very strange to find my coworkers with shoulder length hair showing up to work with buns the size of a cantelope. Sometimes it looks overdone, but I think natural buns always look nice. You can't really mess those up. :flower:

mouse2cat
March 30th, 2014, 11:01 PM
ROFL skirt bun! Wish=granted

Aderyn
March 30th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Hahahaha! That tutorial is amazing! :D

GoldenSilk
March 30th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Seeshami, your skirt bun tutorial is amazing! :rollin: Good job holding in the laughs until the very end... I definitely couldn't have gotten that far!

In all seriousness though, this may explain why my "let all my hair down from a tight pha bun" trick was so popular at the bar last week. Nobody could believe how much hair I could hide in what society considers a medium sized bun...

chen bao jun
March 31st, 2014, 06:06 AM
Please do convert it to youtube. I'm dying to see it.
I can't see your tutorial, but after downloading that whatever it was, I can see all kinds of ads I couldn't see before and pictures now move all over my computer :(

I can convert it to youtube tomorrow.

If it was all my hair, which is lighter then my skirt I would probably not mind. But it's so insanely big and heavy.

veryhairyfairy
March 31st, 2014, 07:41 AM

:rollin:
Not only was it hilarious, but you're so cute and sweet sounding that the whole time I was just like: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdemevFJR51rxdi8e.gif

duchess67
March 31st, 2014, 08:15 AM
Seeshami, you are hilarious and your imagination is awesome. Loved that tutorial ;)

restless
March 31st, 2014, 08:36 AM
I can't see your tutorial, but after downloading that whatever it was, I can see all kinds of ads I couldn't see before and pictures now move all over my computer :(

Im overly paranoid when it comes to downloading things, but obviously this isnt working well with your computer. I´d say uninstall (Start -> Control panel -> Programs -> Uninstall program) and then run a virus scan just in case. If you dont have an ad-block its a good thing to get it too while youre at it (for example firefox´ Adblock plus)

Seeshami
March 31st, 2014, 08:51 AM
That is really odd it wanted something downloaded. My tablet has to use the app to play the video but computers it should work just like youtube

DweamGoiL
March 31st, 2014, 08:54 AM
I never used that viewer before and I was able to click the link and it just played...just like youtube. There was no download involved.

Jasperine
March 31st, 2014, 09:13 AM
I like the look that a sock can give your bun. I do think there's a limit when it comes to the size, but it really depends on what the individual can pull off :) I've seen many where it looked like a hat and many where I thought it looked great! I usually dont use one, but I have a small "bun maker" for when I like to go a bit bigger... :)

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2014, 09:35 AM
Hehehe.. That skirt bun tutorial made my day :D Such imagination...

rags
March 31st, 2014, 10:06 AM
I can't see the tutorial right now either, as I'm on my iPad. Will watch it later on the computer.the photo was hilarious though!

I do wear an occasional "sock bun" but my sock is made of pantyhose which makes a large but still almost normal size bun (since my hair is fine and thin). I like the waves it makes! :p

I too have been told my hair could not be anywhere near my hips, (before the recent chop ), in a very calm and slow manner, as one would address a small child. I was told, when I let it down, that it "didn't count" as it was thin and had fairy-tail ends. And that they had never seen anyone with such "thin, lifeless" hair grow it long. :(. And this is why my hair lives in buns!!! (Regular ones, not sock ones usually. :p. )

chen bao jun
March 31st, 2014, 10:27 AM
Rags, whoever is talking to you sounds even more obnoxious than my friend. Who is really very obnoxious though I choose to laugh at a lot of it--and also did tell her we weren't discussing this subject anymore a couple of weeks ago. Which seems to have worked. I have not heard a peep out of her on the subject since. LHL was perfectly correct when she said that this is a form of abuse (though she didn't use those exact words). there may be some reason why you choose to keep this person in your life (as I choose to keep this particular lady, at this moment anyway) but PLEASE realize s/he is ridiculous, controlling and toxic (at least on this subject). You have such beautiful hair that as I told you before, I've been stalking you on various threads in order to look at it. It is thin, it has fairytale ends, AND it is gorgeous, silky, and the top looks like pure silver while the bottom is attractively changing color. Every color seems to suit it. And I am sure you realize the complete absurdity of the statement, when shown that someone has hip length hair that for some reason it 'doesn't count'. That is just like my friend telling me that she's the one with 'real' curls (because of her perm) while my natural curls are too small to count. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark....

jacqueline101
March 31st, 2014, 11:25 AM
:bow: the naughty mess says "next I eat a beach ball"

But yours looks beautiful and normal because of your amazing curls. My big bun just looks silly.

I loved the video by the way.

Anje
March 31st, 2014, 11:53 AM
Late to the party, but Seeshami, that is amazing! I bow before your bun-making prowess. I can't even cover a normal sock with my hair....:bowtome:

LongHairLesbian
March 31st, 2014, 12:23 PM
I can't see the tutorial right now either, as I'm on my iPad. Will watch it later on the computer.the photo was hilarious though!

I do wear an occasional "sock bun" but my sock is made of pantyhose which makes a large but still almost normal size bun (since my hair is fine and thin). I like the waves it makes! :p

I too have been told my hair could not be anywhere near my hips, (before the recent chop ), in a very calm and slow manner, as one would address a small child. I was told, when I let it down, that it "didn't count" as it was thin and had fairy-tail ends. And that they had never seen anyone with such "thin, lifeless" hair grow it long. :(. And this is why my hair lives in buns!!! (Regular ones, not sock ones usually. :p. )

Rags, I saw a recent picture of your hair in the Fine/Thin hair thread. You hair is ANYTHING but lifeless. There are a lot of pictures of beautiful hair on this forum, and yours definitely stands among them. Just because your hair isn't thick, doesn't mean that it isn't beautiful, and it doesn't mean that your length "doesn't count". A thread about hair extensions was revived recently, and it made me think about another bone I have to pick with the proliferation of extensions; they give people an unrealistic ideal not only of how thick hair should be, but also of what hair should look like when it grows long. There are a precious, lucky few that experience absolutely no taper once they hit waist or hip. But that isn't the reality for the vast majority of us, even those of us that have very thick hair. Most people have to maintain at waist or hip for a while for the thickness to catch up, or else their ends will look thinner than the rest of their hair. And if it doesn't taper at waist/hip, it will at TBL, or classic, or knee. Everyone's hair tapers eventually. But not when you have extensions! Hair enhancements, even the long ones, always have thick, full ends. Beyonce can have hair down to her thighs, and it always looks like fresh, brand new hair. But she paid for that hair; she simply takes it out when it starts to fairytale, and buys newer, fresher hair. Our hair is with us 24/7, for years, so it can't be held to the same standard. Shame on that person for shaming your fairytale ends. They show that your hair has withstood the test of time, and that you have the patience to allow your hair to do what it needs to do to grow long naturally.

Crumpet
March 31st, 2014, 12:25 PM
Rags - I second Chen. You have gorgeous hair. Whenever I feel sad about having thin, fine hair, your hair comes to mind as my inspiration hair (I love the thine/fine hair thread! So good for that!). I hope that whoever has said those things to you isn't in your life. That's something you don't need. Also, like Chen's friend, they don't seem to know anything about hair. It makes me rather angry to see anyone spoken to like that. Really. :taz:

ravenheather
March 31st, 2014, 01:25 PM
Rags - I second Chen. You have gorgeous hair. Whenever I feel sad about having thin, fine hair, your hair comes to mind as my inspiration hair (I love the thine/fine hair thread! So good for that!). I hope that whoever has said those things to you isn't in your life. That's something you don't need. Also, like Chen's friend, they don't seem to know anything about hair. It makes me rather angry to see anyone spoken to like that. Really. :taz:

I third that. I also think of you Rags when I am reminded that thin fine hair "shouldn't be grown long". Your hair is lovely.

roseomalley
March 31st, 2014, 01:26 PM
I too love your hair, Rags. I love it straight or with your lovely-rag curls. My dream of having long hair is always given an extra spark when I see your photos. My hair is fine, I am 67, but you have shown me it is possible to have beautiful, long and fine hair.

Paranda Belle
March 31st, 2014, 02:28 PM

This is the funniest thing I have read all day.

People forget that thinner, fairytale ends tuck well and almost vanish. Even with knee length my bun can be quite small if I want it to be.

stachelbeere
March 31st, 2014, 02:37 PM
seeshami, you have to make a fitting bundazzle for your skirt bun :)

rags
March 31st, 2014, 04:33 PM
Aw, thanks all of you! :flowers: I am..........astounded that anyone would really like my hair! You guys have made my YEAR!!!

Unfortunately, the person is an in-law. I don't see her very much, just at family functions, so it isn't bad. She really, really likes "big hair",and thinks that's what's attractive. :shrug:

Chen, I'm glad you didn't let your friend get to you too much. She sounds totally clueless about hair, much the same as my relative.

Once again, ya'll have truly surprised me,and I'm oh so grateful to all of you for your kind words! :flowers:

Angela_Rose
March 31st, 2014, 08:51 PM
I used to wear a sock bun when I was in ROTC and couldn't have my hair touching my collar or any pins showing. I love that bun! I should go back to it, though at this length, I don't see a sick bun giving me much more size than my standard every day bun does.

Seeshami
March 31st, 2014, 08:52 PM
seeshami, you have to make a fitting bundazzle for your skirt bun :)

NOOOOOOPE

I have enough beads but not enough patients.

Youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOg5PTAWvg

chen bao jun
March 31st, 2014, 09:18 PM
Seeshami, that is so funny! Loved it. (and my friend says she'll help me clean my computer back up tomorrow from downloading whatever it was, so its all good:))
UM, not the same friend that does the bun dissing.

Seeshami
March 31st, 2014, 09:27 PM
To bad it would have been hilarious to show her the video!!!! :rollin:

rags
April 1st, 2014, 06:30 AM
Seeshami,the video was hilarious, I loved it! I have no. Idea how you kept from laughing until the end though. :lol: Also, I am in awe that you were able to get a maxi skirt in your hair!! Total awe!

Angela Rose, I wish I'd known about the sock bun back when I took ROTC! It would have savd me a lot of wrangling with my hair every week, not to mention the half bottle of hairspray and all the pins I used. :p. alas, those were pre- Internet days.

chen bao jun
April 1st, 2014, 06:34 AM
I linked the video to my facebook, sometimes my (annoying) friend looks on there.

Seeshami
April 1st, 2014, 10:12 AM
I hope she does

chen bao jun
April 2nd, 2014, 06:28 AM
Seeshami, I watched your video with friends yesterday. they did not laugh. they stared in awe. They kept repeating, what a beautiful girl, what beautiful hair, I've never seen hair that looked like that before, amazing. They thought your original bun was large. They were just stunned and awestruck. also amazed that you could make a sock bun with your hair--they got that it was a joke, but just kept staring as you made it, saying what wonderful hair, what wonderful hair. It's a real compliment because they are f rom Ukraine, the land of wonderful hair.

Seeshami
April 2nd, 2014, 11:06 AM
That is amazing. Thank you for telling me. :heartbeat and tell your friends Thank you.

lunasea
April 6th, 2014, 03:29 PM
the much anticipated tutorial.
omg, omg, omg, rotfl!

SkyChild
April 6th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Wow, I was definitely feeling a Padme/Leia from Star Wars type vibe from that tutorial!

Seeshami
April 6th, 2014, 07:35 PM
All of my co-workers are voting for some Padme Halloween costumes.

Vanilla
April 6th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I laughed so hard at the skirt bun tutorial that I started crying a bit. Thank you sesshami!

chen bao jun
April 6th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Be sure to make a video if you do Padme, Seeshami. And let us know.

Seeshami
April 6th, 2014, 10:20 PM
I am not into Starwars or Cosplay super huge so I can't see it happening. There would be a lot of bribery needed. Not to mention the sewing, oh god the sewing.

Ocelan
April 7th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Hah, the skirt bun is genius! Imagine if people walked around with that on their heads every day. That's like the size of a.... cat! Well, a small one... :rolleyes:

This discussion reminds me how a week ago me and some women co-workers and co-workers' wives had to have a fancy updo for a fancy evening event, but there wasn't so much time between the day and evening events so me and my coworkers struggled to get something easy done quickly. At the same time one of our co-workers wives went to the hairdresser to have a hairdo made for her, because she didn't have to attend the day event and therefore had spare time. When it was time to go to the evening event my co-worker was in awe of the hairdo the hairdresser had made for the co-worker's wife, saying her hair looked so long. The wife has maybe neck length hair and I could clearly see that as it didn't even reach to be pulled back at all points. What was making it look like she had more hair was that some of the ends were curled at the back of the hair into swirls.

Well at the same time I had managed to cram all my hair into a gibson tuck (which isn't so easy at hip length anymore) and calmly stated "well, I also managed to make my hair look shorter for the day" and they all looked at me kind of sour and said snarkily "why would anyone ever want to do anything like that?"

I feel it's odd that it's great to be able to make your hair look longer by any means necessary, but to temporarily make it look like there's not a lot of it, that's complelety strange and there's something off with you if you try it. Mind you, my gibson tuck wasn't exactly a tiny one either so it didn't make me look bald or like I had a pixie (which of course aren't bad looks but my point is my hair still was obviously long by non-LHC standards). It wasn't a big alien head blob at the back (because if it were, I wouldn't have worn it) but it did stick out quite a bit. Usually my normal buns aren't that big because even though I do have past hip length hair, it is still very layered and damaged from old dye.

So I also don't realise why we should try to make our hair look bigger than it is, when outside LHC most women keep cutting and layering their hair so there's not even a chance for the big buns to be created. Is the reason really just that the buns wouldn't be big enough without outside help of poofing up even if the hair was really long?

chen bao jun
April 7th, 2014, 12:24 PM
ocelan, all my life i have been trying to make thick hair compact and look like less so I could fit regular hats, etc and just simply not look like I have deformed head when I do a French roll or gibson tuck. I used to complain and complain and wonder why others were not happy with me, but then I realized they all wanted thicker hair. (Of course nowadays, my hair doesn't look so thick anymore with all the fake hair out there, which is what this thread is about). anyway, your co-workers are silly. I'm proud of you for managing to make it look smaller. I hope that helps.
And yes, they will continue to cut and layer and then wonder why they don't look like they have any hair. I have a friend with thick hair that keeps saying she will fit a small ficcare soon (she bought several, some are small, and some are even large) and I don't see it happening anytime ever because she keeps thinning her hair, cutting to her neck and having it layered--then doesn't understand why she doesn't fit the ficcare yet (it just slides out). One day I am hoping to inherit her black lotus clip when she gives up--but no sign of that happening yet...

Ocelan
April 8th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Thank you chen bao jun, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's proud of being able to jam all that slippy hair into the back of my head and have it stay there rather neatly. :)

Yes, there really isn't a magic temporary cure to make buns look smaller or hair look thinner if those things are big, but there are plenty of things like hair rats and extensions to do the opposite. I guess it really is a long or thick hair thing, wanting to sometimes make hair look like there's less of it without having to cut it off and then painfully grow it back for years. I think for people who have less hair the option for long-haired ladies who would like to feel the freedom of short hair would seem simple: Just cut it off. It's easy to do that way. Just snip snip. But most long haired ones don't want that as a permanent result. They just want to have one night of fun and still keep their hair long.

And I do hope the ficcare will find its way to you soon. Since your friend keeps cutting her hair so often it doesn't really sound like she has the patience to keep up with trying to grow into the ficcare anytime in the near future either. But who knows...

Dovetail
April 18th, 2014, 11:44 AM
That skirt bun is hilarious! I wonder if I could make a ferret bun :p I'll try when they're napping! I think my buns are a pretty good size, people usually say " oh but your bun looks so nice for a blonde, I can't even see your scalp! " I guess most people think natural blondes have obnoxiously thin hair?

LongHairLesbian
April 18th, 2014, 04:51 PM
That skirt bun is hilarious! I wonder if I could make a ferret bun :p I'll try when they're napping! I think my buns are a pretty good size, people usually say " oh but your bun looks so nice for a blonde, I can't even see your scalp! " I guess most people think natural blondes have obnoxiously thin hair?

That is a pretty obnoxious thing to say, especially since they don't know what they are talking about. I find that when I pull my hair back, you can see what someone might perceive as "scalp" in a spot where maybe some of the hair that usually sits there has been pulled away, leaving fewer strands to cover the patch. Dark haired people get it to, but their hair covers up the patch better because it's dark. My hair isn't as forgiving, because in those spots the hair is usually extra fine and almost white-ish blonde, basically the same colour as my scalp. I tend to get those "scalpy" patches near my face, where all my baby fine hairs and wispies hang out. It bugs the hell out of me, but my bun usually loosens up a bit after an hour, and the sparser spots fill back up with the hair that usually lies near them.

vindo
April 18th, 2014, 07:36 PM
It's funny; I remember when people who did use fake hair or other augmentation in their hair were "tacky".

So true...:rolleyes:. Opinions really changed.

Bene
April 18th, 2014, 09:40 PM
I prefer a fuller bun to an itty bitty one. I wouldn't go up to someone with a small bun and say something nasty to them, but I would notice how tiny it is. Aside from it going into my mental "do not like the look of" list, it really doesn't matter.

Then again, I also dislike the the sock bun, which I don't consider a real bun. It's like the botox and silicone of the bun world.

teddygirl
April 18th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Celebrities also change their hair very often. Photos like that could have been taken at very different times. That being said, for red carpet events most of them do wear extensions and the like. Its very easy to get a larger looking bun by loosening it and pinning it though. I do it sometimes.

ErinLeigh
April 19th, 2014, 03:27 AM
I think extensions have really just become a status symbol due to their cost for high quality pieces. This makes them admired and coveted by certain people. Extensions are now a hair accessory and a "must have." Since extensions make for full hair and big buns that is the look that is "in" now. People get used to seeing that and expectations and perceptions change. You start to forget what natural hair can look like. When reminded or shown hair in natural state that is thin, short or whatever you get the sad frown because it is "fixable" and aren't you a poor dear who can't afford to buy hair to look nice.
That is my take on it just from what I have seen and heard on my corner of the world.

eadwine
April 19th, 2014, 05:43 AM
I love this hahahhah!!!!

eadwine
April 19th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Mind.. I don't know if anyone has linked this yet, but still.. for those with tiny buns, you can sport these slides, and ohh boy are there some pretties there!!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SterlingSimplicity?section_id=11695494&ref=shopsection_leftnav_8

Kina
April 19th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Omg, I love this, "the botox and silicone of the bun world" :D

Mind you, it's my favorite bun, just the easiest way to make my hair presentable. :flower:

I prefer a fuller bun to an itty bitty one. I wouldn't go up to someone with a small bun and say something nasty to them, but I would notice how tiny it is. Aside from it going into my mental "do not like the look of" list, it really doesn't matter.

Then again, I also dislike the the sock bun, which I don't consider a real bun. It's like the botox and silicone of the bun world.

Night_Kitten
April 19th, 2014, 07:24 AM

Those people have no idea what they're talking about...
I read a research that claimed blond people have the largest amount of hair strands on their heads (~120,000), followed by dark brown / black (with ~ 100,000 strands) and readheads have the fewest (~80,000) but as on average blond hair tends to be on the finer side while darker hair on the coarser side, blonds look like they have less hair...
I don't remember how many people's hair they measured in that research, but in my family it seems to be true - my mom is blond and has fine hair but lots of it, while I have medium hair and not so lots of it, we have almost the same pony tail size (her's is a bit bigger), but it looks like her hair is thinner than mine unless you look up close..

It's like the botox and silicone of the bun world.
LOL! :spitting:

I think extensions have really just become a status symbol due to their cost for high quality pieces. This makes them admired and coveted by certain people. Extensions are now a hair accessory and a "must have." Since extensions make for full hair and big buns that is the look that is "in" now. People get used to seeing that and expectations and perceptions change. You start to forget what natural hair can look like. When reminded or shown hair in natural state that is thin, short or whatever you get the sad frown because it is "fixable" and aren't you a poor dear who can't afford to buy hair to look nice.
That is my take on it just from what I have seen and heard on my corner of the world.
Makes a lot of sense... It's like the "tan craze" a while ago where people would do ANYTHING to get the popular tanned look, and those who didn't want to follow the trend were looked at weird and got advice about how to save money for a tan salon or which salons have discounts, because "obviously" they were untanned due to lack of money and not because they chose that look... :rolleyes:

CaityBear
April 19th, 2014, 10:10 AM
People say my buns are tiny because they are. I have thin hair so when I had classic length hair nobody ever knew my hair was that long if it was in a bun.

I don't like small buns on myself because it's not cute, it's a reminder that my hair is really thin. :(

chen bao jun
April 19th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Ferret bun sounds hilarious--except it would wake up and claw its way out...not good...
I defnitely think extensions are prestige in certain quarters. My niece has very nice bra strap length or mid back hair and wore extensions at her wedding which looked quite horrid, solely because her friends would know she spent XXX amount of money on them... Now she is continuing wearing them, she says its convenient, but it does look bad. Not as bad as my other niece who is actually, I kid you not, wearing knitting wool for extensions on her braids.. I have no idea why. She also has bra strap hair although she has so much shrinkage that it looks like a short afro, I've seen a lot of shrinkage and I have it myself, but I've never seen shrinkage like hers, its maybe 99%? I keep thinking there has to be some better solution than knitting wool, though, she's very pretty and it looks really really strange.
I think its fine to have opinions and in fact we can't help having opinions and different opinions just show we are are unique and different people. But all opinions are not always for sharing, and I definitely don't share negative opinions about what others choose to do with their hair with them, especially not complete strangers, no point to that. And I wish some people (not strangers, close relativesand one friend) would stop their sharing their opinions of MY hair with ME without being asked.
As for Jlo and what'sher face, I'm sure the photos were taken at different times, but honestly, they would have to have grown their hair down to their knees or ankles based on their thickness to have those gigantic buns naturally so I think one can safely say, there's a sock in there somewhere. Or something else. There's a thread somewhere on here recently showing hair length compared to bun size and the buns those two ladies are wearing are completely unrealistic. I don't want to be held to a standard that requires my buns to look like that, because it is never going to happen--even though I am on the very far end of thick, thick hair, even at my knees my buns wouldn't naturally look like that without, well--a skirt in there. Or a ferret...? lol

durgidog
April 20th, 2014, 10:47 AM
My hair is APL and my bun is puny. I usually wear my hair down but was at the neighbor's in a bun last night. She exclaimed, "I thought you were growing your hair! why did you cut all of that pretty hair? It looked so nice!" I explained that it was just compacted in the bun and she wouldn't believe me until I took my hair stick out.

ArienEllariel
April 20th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I really like the buns in the bottom photos, and I like the ones on the top as well. They all look very sleek and classy.

The trend around here seems to be something like this, which I am not a fan of:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8401850709_57090ca57d_h.jpg

Like someone else said... it reminds me of a hair hat. (No offense to those that actually like those buns, but I prefer something more settled onto the back of my head rather than right on the top.)

So THAT's why I keep seeing all these teens with rediculous giant somethings on their heads. Usually they're falling apart as well and hanging down/out in the back. Yucko.

MINAKO
May 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Lol, it mot like people on here wouldnt be drooloing over massive buns in particular too. I like the jead eating style on myself and don't see anything wrong with shorthaired people using "toys" of another kind to achive the look they want. Honestly, i think the before pics are a nice practical everyday style, that was obviously the case as opposed to the red carpet pic, but it's easier for normal people to just switch up the bun, than to look like the rest of JLo.