PDA

View Full Version : Snapped hair/ends

LunaLuvsU
March 27th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I have a lot of snapped strands (I use to treat my hair horribly) and it makes my hair look frizzy, does anyone know any good treatments?

Rachel J
March 27th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I've heard great things about coconut oil, but haven't tried it myself yet. I think any type of natural oil would help improve the health of your hair and reduce frizz. Do you oil your hair often?

lapushka
March 27th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Maybe use some gel to get them to lie flat. I don't think there's more you can do, but gel them and wait until those strands get long again.

Toffeemonster
March 27th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I've found since switching to co-washing and wearing my hair in up dos, with coconut oil on the ends, the white dots from split ends are mostly gone. I take that as a very good sign the more minor splits are somehow sealing themselves? I always applied coconut oil but I've been able to get away with using more on the ends because of wearing my hair up. Hope that's helpful, best of luck :)

LunaLuvsU
March 27th, 2014, 10:31 PM
I oil my hair with an olive mix (Olive, coconut, lavender) at least once a week. I also do a mixture of egg protein and silk protein, my hair loves it although it takes all wave away.

Larki
March 27th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I oil my hair with an olive mix (Olive, coconut, lavender) at least once a week. I also do a mixture of egg protein and silk protein, my hair loves it although it takes all wave away.
Is the lavender essential oil just for the scent?

ErinLeigh
March 27th, 2014, 11:07 PM
When my hair was fried and snapping what worked for me was

Getting my protein and moisture balance corrected. For me that meant deep treatments such as Redken Extreme Builder Plus followed by a deep moisture conditioner once a week.
A conditioning leave in conditioner. (Spray or Creme)
Coconut oil used overnight before washing hair
Sealing damp hair with silicones, oils or butters.
Wearing my hair up and not styling it with blow dryer anytime I possibly could.

I had to shampoo less also. I eased into it by first backing off sulfates, then went sulfate free then finally went to cowashes. That really depends on your hair though since that is not something everyone can do and have work. Scalp sensitives and hair type come into play.

LauraLongLocks
March 27th, 2014, 11:15 PM
I like shea butter and coconut mixed together and applied to my ends every night. That combination might help you, too.

ErinLeigh
March 28th, 2014, 03:51 AM
I like shea butter and coconut mixed together and applied to my ends every night. That combination might help you, too.

That is a nice combo. I agree.

I use Nightblooming Panacea as it contains both. I bought it on etsy. It really feels wonderful on my hair.
I almost bought a block of shea butter but decided to try the Panacea first to see how if felt on hair.
Shea moisture also has a shea/oil blend that is nice.

OP there are so many things that can help. Do you use cones or no? Maybe that will help us come up with some products or ideas?

rose313
March 28th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I use Miracle 7 Buriti Oil on my lengths and ends to reduce flyaways, but I can't use much of anything near my scalp because it weighs my hair down. Right now I'm trying Aphogee Keratin spray and Ion leave in spray (I can only use sprays because they're lightweight.) Seems to be making a difference with flyaways from breakage near my scalp and around my face, but those nape hairs that are growing out are still super annoying to me!

cherrybird
March 28th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I second the gel idea. Something lightweight would probably be ideal.

CremeTron
March 31st, 2014, 06:25 PM
I third the gel idea! A little get over a light oil to smooth them out while they return to health and grow out.

ichosethis
March 31st, 2014, 07:50 PM
I've noticed a significantly reduction in my fly aways earlier this week. I think the cause has been my gradual change in my hair care routine. I've stretched washes to every 4 days, I use coconut oil occasionally, I brush less frequently, wear my hair up more in a bun or braid instead of loose or in a low ponytail, and I avoid using heat or hair elastics. I used to wear a headband every day at work as the fly aways and shorter hairs towards my hair line would end up in my face and drive me insane. Now though, I only have a few short hairs right at the top of my forehead and I think those are from the turban wrap mircro fiber towels I used until last week. I've been forgetting to put on my head band a lot and I don't have bits of hair hanging in my face to remind me to go grab it anymore!

For a long term solution, you might want to try things like stretching washes and using oils and deep conditioners. Find out things your hair likes. Also, find some fun hair styles that work for you and your hair! For the short term, small amounts of oils, serums, or gels can help hold the fly aways back or consider spritzing hairspray on your brush and running it over your hair as a finishing touch. You can also consider wearing soft headbands or scarves to protect them while they grow and keep them out of your way (I use clips to keep my cloth headbands in place).