PDA

View Full Version : Help ... Hair is sticky again

Arwenlily
March 27th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I don't know what is going wrong with my routine. I shampoo with Eco Sevi (http://www.ecosevi.com/collections/wash/products/pumpkin-seed-shampoo) shampoo and rinse with an ACV rinse (2 tbsp ACV, 2 cups water). I usually don't rinse out the ACV but today I rinsed some out to see if there was a difference, there wasn't. I use the ACV rinse mainly because I have hard water and it detangles my hair nicely. When I shampoo, my hair feels smooth and silky and then I used the ACV and it still feels great. However, after a minute or so my hair starts to feel sticky and waxy. Why? Is it the ACV? Hard water?

Help :wail:

sarahthegemini
March 27th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Tbh I'd just stop the ACV rinses for a while and see if that makes a difference. You can always use a chelating shampoo every few weeks or so to remove mineral build up instead of the ACV.

MeowScat
March 27th, 2014, 11:15 AM
That's A LOT of vinegar! I use less than 1 tablespoon and sometimes I wonder if it's too much. I, also, rinse mine out with cold-ish water and it works great.

Cut back or cut-out the vinegar and see what happens.

Anje
March 27th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Have you clarified yet? It might be something you need to do occasionally.

Ruzovy
March 27th, 2014, 12:33 PM
That is wayyy too much vinegar. I actually holiday-ed recently at a place with VERY hard water and it made my hair feel like straw, so what I did was finish my wash with a lemon juice rinse (1tsp per liter of water, veryyy little see) and then rinse that out with bottled water. It made a world of difference. So I'd try cutting down on the acv proportion and doing your final rinse with either distilled or bottled water, it might help. And maybe clarify like wise Anje said. Good luck :)

spidermom
March 27th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I agree - too much vinegar. When I use it, which is rare, I use 1 tbsp vinegar to 1 pitcher (holds about 3 quarts) of water.

My father in Ohio has hard water, so I went to a beauty supply store and bought shampoo and conditioner made for use with hard water. I was happy with it, although my hair definitely felt different there than it does here in soft water land.

ravenreed
March 27th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Have you tried a different shampoo? I would clarify, and reduce the ACV. FWIW, I use a high concentration at every wash and it doesn't make my hair sticky at all. I rinse it out really well, however.

Arwenlily
March 27th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Have you clarified yet? It might be something you need to do occasionally.

I think I clarified and chelated about 1-2 weeks ago. I really didn't want to have to do it that often, should I clarify and chelate again?

ETA:
Oh no :( I didn't realize I was using too much vinegar! I could have sworn I saw that concentration on one of the ACV rinse threads. I must have misread tsp for tbsp ... crap. I feel dumb. I thought I could use it for the hard water and to make my hair shiny. I don't know if it is the ACV or the shampoo, but my besides the waxyness, my virgin hair is super soft. I should probably cut out the ACV then or try a much weaker concentration.

Oh also, since I used so much vinegar, is that going to harm my hair? I did it for the past two washes (4 days between washes). Should I do a deep treatment or something?

Anje
March 27th, 2014, 04:09 PM
FWIW, it doesn't seem like too much vinegar to me. I probably use something like that. My water is very hard, though, and less doesn't really make it taste acidic, probably because the water has a lot of buffering capacity. Never had sticky hair from vinegar, though.

Try clarifying and see. If it fixes things, you really might need to do it that often, or switch to a shampoo that isn't quite so mild. This looks like something that could build up for some people.

lapushka
March 27th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Seems like you have been having continuous problems with your routine. I seem to recollect you posting about problems a while ago. Have you had a routine going that went well in between problem-postings?

Arwenlily
March 27th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Seems like you have been having continuous problems with your routine. I seem to recollect you posting about problems a while ago. Have you had a routine going that went well in between problem-postings?

I used to use a sulfate-free shampoo and coney conditioner that did wonders for my hair. Then I tried CO-washing and it worked the first couple of washes but them made my hair limp and curl-less. Now I have switched to this mild shampoo which doesn't seem to be working either. Nothing seems to work anymore. I tried going back to sulfates ... coney conditioners .... but nothing works. I'm about to just give up because I haven't found a good routine.

Arwenlily
March 27th, 2014, 05:26 PM
FWIW, it doesn't seem like too much vinegar to me. I probably use something like that. My water is very hard, though, and less doesn't really make it taste acidic, probably because the water has a lot of buffering capacity. Never had sticky hair from vinegar, though.

Try clarifying and see. If it fixes things, you really might need to do it that often, or switch to a shampoo that isn't quite so mild. This looks like something that could build up for some people.

Yeah, I'm going to have to clarify next wash. I wish this shampoo would work because I love how soft my hair has gotten with it and it is way less frizzy. I just get sticky hair that has no curl. Any recommendations for a different shampoo?

lapushka
March 27th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I used to use a sulfate-free shampoo and coney conditioner that did wonders for my hair. Then I tried CO-washing and it worked the first couple of washes but them made my hair limp and curl-less. Now I have switched to this mild shampoo which doesn't seem to be working either. Nothing seems to work anymore. I tried going back to sulfates ... coney conditioners .... but nothing works. I'm about to just give up because I haven't found a good routine.

Can't you just go back to the products you were using initially (after a good clarify)?

Arwenlily
March 27th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Can't you just go back to the products you were using initially (after a good clarify)?

I would prefer not to because of the ingredients in them and the strong smell gives me headaches. I would like to find products that are better for my hair that work but I haven't found any.

lapushka
March 27th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I would prefer not to because of the ingredients in them and the strong smell gives me headaches. I would like to find products that are better for my hair that work but I haven't found any.

Just go back to what your hair wants, not what *you* want, because that is messing everything up. I would love to wash with milder shampoos. I would love to CO-wash, but it just doesn't work for my hair. My hair (and scalp) need harsh sulfates. And there's nothing I can do. See, it's not about what *we* want, it's what's good for the hair!

ravenreed
March 27th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I don't think that you are finding anything 'better' for your hair. Clearly your hair isn't as happy as it was with more traditional products. I would find something with similar ingredients to what you were using but with a less offensive scent. (I have the same problem and it is such a pain in the butt. I HATE my scent sensitivities.)

Arwenlily
March 27th, 2014, 06:35 PM
lapushka and ravenreed, you are both right. I'll have to go back to more traditional products. What products do you both use?

ravenreed
March 27th, 2014, 06:39 PM
My hair is pretty happy with the CO method, but I do S & C from time to time too. I avoid cones though, as cones build up pretty quickly on me. I use Suave Wild Cherry for both S & C because the scent doesn't cause me problems and because my hair is happiest with them. I don't know if those will work for you, however. Good luck finding a routine that helps.

lapushka and ravenreed, you are both right. I'll have to go back to more traditional products. What products do you both use?

Arwenlily
March 27th, 2014, 07:00 PM
My hair is pretty happy with the CO method, but I do S & C from time to time too. I avoid cones though, as cones build up pretty quickly on me. I use Suave Wild Cherry for both S & C because the scent doesn't cause me problems and because my hair is happiest with them. I don't know if those will work for you, however. Good luck finding a routine that helps.

You are so lucky that the CO method works for you. I really wish it would work because in the beginning it really brought out my curls. Thanks though :) I hope I find something I can just stick with

0xalis
March 27th, 2014, 08:38 PM
That's considered a lot of vinegar? I use half vinegar half water and my hair seems to love it O_o
(then again, I don't leave it in very long at all. I pour it on and then rinse it off within like 30 seconds)

Demi-Plum
March 27th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I've been having this problem too lately! It's happened once before actually, a few years ago I think. It happened during a season change. Even if I clarify and do ACV rinses it doesn't go away. Last time it eventually went away on its own. It's not run it's corse yet this time though. I don't think there has been a change in my water, and I haven't changed my routine at all. I have to be careful using ACV though (I don't think you're using too much vinegar either) but if I use it too much my hair lightens. It does seem to help a little bit, but not enough to take the waxy/stickiness away. I have a natural ombre (lighter at the end) but I'm not really wanting my hair to lighten so I really only use ACV when I have this strange build up.

Demi-Plum
March 27th, 2014, 09:24 PM
This is exactly what I do! Except I usually add herbs to mine. I boil the water, place the herbs I want in it and let it cool completely before I put it in the bottle with the ACV. I strain the herbs out so they don't get in my hair obviously, but it usually smells a little better and the herbs are good for your hair.

That's considered a lot of vinegar? I use half vinegar half water and my hair seems to love it O_o
(then again, I don't leave it in very long at all. I pour it on and then rinse it off within like 30 seconds)

ErinLeigh
March 27th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I am someone who must alternate products often or I get awkward hair.
I co wash for a few washes. Then toss in a sulfate wash. Co wash a few more times then a sulfate free wash.
Another cowash then an all natural shampoo. Sometimes I rinse with citric acid or vinegar, sometimes I skip. It's really a routine of no routine. I just have fun with products I suppose. I cannot stay with one type. My hair gets too used to it and gets lank.

If you likes co washing but it didn't work long term you could try Curl Junkie cleansing conditioner.
I just ordered this one and its different. It actually has Cocamidopropyl Betaine which will cleanse and remove most cones. Great way for me to avoid buildup. I have yet to find a cowash that has that good cleanser in it so I am very excited about adding this one to my routine.

So me for I mix it up. Sometimes cones. Sometimes not. Sometimes all natural. Sometimes sulfates. Sometimes sulfate free. Same with leave ins and oils. I have to mix it up.
I actually don't mind as I love getting to use different products. This way you can use the sulfate free that makes hair soft. Get some cowashes in. Remove the stickiness with sulfates to reset then rotate some more.

Maybe just play around for a little bit until you find what you like? You can buy some travel size products and experiment.
If that sounds like advice you would not want to try then Perhaps think back to what did work and find something with similar ingredients but a different scent. So many products on the market are amazingly similar.

ravenreed
March 27th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I actually make an herbal infused vinegar. I empty out about 1/4 a bottle of ACV into another container somewhere. Then I fill all that space with whatever herbs I have on hand that will be good for my hair. I have used mint, nettle, horsetail, ginger root, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, lavender, tulsi, basil, chamomile, calendula, rose hips, lemon balm... Then I let the herbs sit for about two weeks, shaking the bottle every day. At the end I strain all the herbs out and decant into a Grolsh beer bottle. I have several friends that love my herbal vinegars! Lately I have been using vinegar with the mother, but I cheat. I buy regular ACV and add it to the vinegar with the mother so that the mother keeps growing, rather than pay for a new bottle of the expensive stuff constantly.

Anyway, of all the herbs, I think that lavender cuts the smell the best.

This is exactly what I do! Except I usually add herbs to mine. I boil the water, place the herbs I want in it and let it cool completely before I put it in the bottle with the ACV. I strain the herbs out so they don't get in my hair obviously, but it usually smells a little better and the herbs are good for your hair.

ErinLeigh
March 28th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Could it be the aloe juice making the hair sticky somehow? Just a thought. Aloe makes my hair feel kinda sticky, coated at times.
Also, it is a really gentle shampoo with lots of herbs and oils. If it is not removing cones or product buildup things may just be building up to fast. Even alternating that shampoo with one other one may help. That way you do not have to give it up entirely.

lapushka
March 28th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Because I have to wash with harsh sulfates, to get the waves back and moisturized, we use the WCC method, that's conditioning twice after washing. Yes, twice! Then we follow up with the LOC method for styling (leave-in, oil/serum, styling cream/gel).

Demi-Plum
March 28th, 2014, 11:51 AM
ravenreed that sounds amazing! Especially the lavender and mint. I think that would be an awesome combo! I usually use rosemary/thyme/ect, but I really want to try the lavender and mint combo ^w^

I actually make an herbal infused vinegar. I empty out about 1/4 a bottle of ACV into another container somewhere. Then I fill all that space with whatever herbs I have on hand that will be good for my hair. I have used mint, nettle, horsetail, ginger root, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, lavender, tulsi, basil, chamomile, calendula, rose hips, lemon balm... Then I let the herbs sit for about two weeks, shaking the bottle every day. At the end I strain all the herbs out and decant into a Grolsh beer bottle. I have several friends that love my herbal vinegars! Lately I have been using vinegar with the mother, but I cheat. I buy regular ACV and add it to the vinegar with the mother so that the mother keeps growing, rather than pay for a new bottle of the expensive stuff constantly.

Anyway, of all the herbs, I think that lavender cuts the smell the best.

Arwenlily
March 29th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I am someone who must alternate products often or I get awkward hair.
I co wash for a few washes. Then toss in a sulfate wash. Co wash a few more times then a sulfate free wash.
Another cowash then an all natural shampoo. Sometimes I rinse with citric acid or vinegar, sometimes I skip. It's really a routine of no routine. I just have fun with products I suppose. I cannot stay with one type. My hair gets too used to it and gets lank.

If you likes co washing but it didn't work long term you could try Curl Junkie cleansing conditioner.
I just ordered this one and its different. It actually has Cocamidopropyl Betaine which will cleanse and remove most cones. Great way for me to avoid buildup. I have yet to find a cowash that has that good cleanser in it so I am very excited about adding this one to my routine.

So me for I mix it up. Sometimes cones. Sometimes not. Sometimes all natural. Sometimes sulfates. Sometimes sulfate free. Same with leave ins and oils. I have to mix it up.
I actually don't mind as I love getting to use different products. This way you can use the sulfate free that makes hair soft. Get some cowashes in. Remove the stickiness with sulfates to reset then rotate some more.

Maybe just play around for a little bit until you find what you like? You can buy some travel size products and experiment.
If that sounds like advice you would not want to try then Perhaps think back to what did work and find something with similar ingredients but a different scent. So many products on the market are amazingly similar.

This might be something I'll have to do too. However, the past two times I washed this way my hair remained sticky for the rest of the non-wash days but this time, the next day my hair didn't feel sticky at all and instead felt smooth and silky. I have no idea why ... its weird. This makes me wonder if I actually need to clarify.

ErinLeigh
March 29th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Maybe it is the aloe? Maybe some days it works with the humidity and others works against it? I don't know though as weather as been fairly stable so gosh truly no idea. That would be baffling! Hair sure is tempermental.

I have a sulfate free shampoo, Acure Argan Stem that I get weird results with it. Sometimes my hair feels coated or sticky and other times it feels stripped. I cannot get the same results twice with it. So odd. I love how it smells so I keep reaching for it hoping it will eventually work. sigh