PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who dye your hair...

Sarahlabyrinth
March 27th, 2014, 03:14 AM
When you have dyed hair, you always notice your hair growing through seeing the undyed roots showing up and getting longer, right? Well, when you dye those roots do you immediately feel as if your hair is somehow shorter than before - because the evidence of growth - the roots - are no longer showing? I know I always feel as if I have lost length when I dye my roots - strange! Does anyone else feel the same way? Strange, I know, but then we "hairies" are a weird lot...

emilia1992
March 27th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Hmm..... I don't really notice any perceived difference in hair length when I dye my hair, but I can totally see how it might seem shorter! Perhaps it's because there's not much difference between my natural and dyed hair colours. :)

redredrobin
March 27th, 2014, 05:46 AM
When I was getting my roots done I wasn't growing out my hair, so I didn't pay attention to length, plus I would always get a trim so it would be shorter anyway.

browneyedsusan
March 27th, 2014, 06:41 AM
It doesn't bother me to touch up my roots. I feel better when it's done, but I value color a lot more than length. (I think most faded redheads are similar? When my hair went from warm red to cool brown, it was unnerving. I tried to make peace with it, but my hair felt "ugly". The ashiness just didn't suit me. Probably similar to cool-toned people who try henna and end up hating it?) Red hair makes me feel settled in my skin, no matter how long it is. :)

ETA: my hair, not my skin. My skin is standard-sized. :wigtongue

blue_eyes
March 27th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I think my growth never seemed substantial when I didn't have roots to look at. Right now I'm trying to stay away from dye, so I've got about 3 inches of roots and think "wow that's some great growth!" when I see it...but my length itself doesn't feel as if it has gained 3 inches hahaha. I think if my roots were dyed I'd have no idea my hair had grown that much.

VitaR86
March 27th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I never felt like I lost length, but I did miss seeing the progress of how much I had grown. It did feel a bit like... okay now the growth starts over.

Rosetta
March 27th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I've actually felt the opposite after dyeing roots - hair felt longer, not shorter, probably because there was more of it in the same(ish) colour, unlike before doing roots ;) If that makes sense?

SkyChild
March 27th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I hate roots when dying my hair and (at worst) resort to doing roots-only about once every 2 weeks. This is why I'm back to my mostly natural colour just now.
I've never really thought of it as wonderful because my hair was growing so quickly but I can see where if that's how you measure it, your hair would seem shorter.

Jean Genie
March 27th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I agree with Rosetta - since my dyed hair is darker than the roots, it feels like I am adding an inch or two every time I refresh the color. I'm able to see the amount of hair better, I guess.

momschicklets
March 27th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I dye mine every 4-6 weeks to cover gray. And though I don't feel like my hair is any shorter, I do feel as if for the next 2 weeks after coloring my hair doesn't grow one iota because if I look for roots I have none! But then during the third week I start to see roots so I know my hair is growing again. Like VitaR86 once the roots start to show, I feel like the growing is starting over. Growth, color, no growth....growth, color, no growth.....:eye:

ravenreed
March 27th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I am always astonished at how quickly my hair is growing, especially since I have greys and they make it more obvious. I dye every 4 - 6 weeks as well, depending on where I am in my boom/bust hair growing cycle.

kaydana
March 27th, 2014, 04:00 PM
It doesn't bother me to touch up my roots. I feel better when it's done, but I value color a lot more than length. (I think most faded redheads are similar? When my hair went from warm red to cool brown, it was unnerving. I tried to make peace with it, but my hair felt "ugly". The ashiness just didn't suit me. Probably similar to cool-toned people who try henna and end up hating it?) Red hair makes me feel settled in my skin, no matter how long it is. :)

ETA: my hair, not my skin. My skin is standard-sized. :wigtongue

That produces a reeeeally weird mental image... shudder:

Ennapic
March 27th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Guess I never much noticed it when I would dye years ago. It was mostly to keep my color even after having been through the summer sun bleaching.

Hairitic
March 28th, 2014, 09:28 AM
No, I never noticed that I felt my hair was shorter. I'm always just thrilled that my dull greys no longer show! :p

rose313
March 28th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I certainly have felt that way before! But it's usually only for a minute, since I love the look of just coming out of the salon after having my roots done.