PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Mature Gray Hairs?

melomane
March 26th, 2014, 05:40 PM
So I was just S&Ding and saw another gray hair, and I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I'm 15, and over the summer a friend of mine pointed out my first gray hair (and pulled it out). I didn't think much about it but now I just found another. Has this happened to anyone else:confused: I've never dyed or bleached my hair either.

swearnsue
March 26th, 2014, 05:52 PM
When I was in my very early 20's I got quite a few gray hairs! Maybe 10 to 20. I forgot about them and then noticed one day that they were gone. I didn't get gray hair again until my late 40's.

Don't pull them out. If they bother you, just carefully cut each hair at scalp because gray hair is much better than no hair!

~Abi~
March 26th, 2014, 05:54 PM
I think it might just be genetics, not that you're doing anything wrong. Reports are that my grandmother went grey in her teens. Similarly, my dad also had some greys in his early 20's. At 20 I don't have any yet, but considering my family history, I wouldn't be shocked if I did find them relatively soon (although...the henna would cover them for me...). If they really bother you, then instead of pulling them out, there's plenty of information here on LHC on non-damaging coloring options. :)

Avis
March 26th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I'm 23 and I've got a few grays. My brother is 3 years older than me and his hair is about 10% gray even though he's still young. My mom said she started getting grays in college when she was 18. I think it just runs in the family sometimes. I used to pluck my grays out but now I've decided that I like them so I leave them. I only have about 3 right now.

Wisteria
March 26th, 2014, 06:00 PM
I found my first gray hair more than 2-3 years ago, at 17-18-ish, maybe. Two days ago I found two new ones and a light brown one. (My hair is black, or is supposed to be.) I have hormonal problems though. It could be genetic for you.

LanaBanana
March 26th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I started finding them around your age, and my sister started getting them when she was 7! I used to pull mine out, but now I've got about 10-20 in one spot and it seems pointless. I'm 23, and I'm hoping to have a cool silver streak someday. I use them to measure how much my hair has grown since my last henna application, so at least they come in handy! Don't worry about it, I think it's totally normal for some people.

Larki
March 26th, 2014, 06:30 PM
My mom started going gray in college (and dyed it brown to cover the gray from then until 45). My brother is 20 and started getting gray hairs when he was 18. It's just genetics, nothing to worry about.

Rushli
March 26th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I got 4-5 grey hairs right above my ear along the hairline at age 16. Now at 30, they are the only ones I still have.

Rufflebutt
March 26th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Some people go grey much earlier than others. My best friend's mom was entirely grey by 18! It's crazy, but normal and you're probably fine health-wise unless you've been extensively stressed out.

You can dye your hair if it bugs you, otherwise you can embrace them.

Allie_snowflake
March 26th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I started getting gray hair in high school too. Now I have a wide, off center gray streak right in the front. The rest of the font and sides are salt and pepper. I've been using henna (mixed with only white vinegar specifically for it to adhere to the grays) nothing else would stick to the grays. Now it looks like I have big copper chunky highlights mixed In with my reddish brown hair.

Yozhik
March 26th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I got one white hair at 16 (after studying for the SAT, I always joke!). Now at 26, I have 5-6. They don't bother me. :shrug:

Stormynights
March 26th, 2014, 07:11 PM
My favorite color is salt and pepper. It is so striking and eye catching.

molljo
March 26th, 2014, 07:12 PM
It happens to a lot of people. I think the popular use of dye gives us a misconception of when lots of people start going grey. My aunt started getting them at 16, my mom at 18. I'm 28, and have around ten of them that started around when I was 22. A friend of mine is about 50/50 salt and pepper, and she's only 25 (she doesn't dye because the silvers flatter her face more than her dark hair did). I wouldn't worry too much about it!

cathair
March 26th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I got my first few when I was 15 too. It wasn't too noticeable up until about a year ago and now I have a few white/silvery streaks. Tell your friend no hair pulling, that's not nice! Some books and websites suggest deficiencies are magnesium and/or copper can cause premature greying. If you are especially worried you could have a look at your diet and make sure you are getting enough of everything. But it sounds quite normal to me.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2014, 07:14 PM
It could well be a genetic thing. My father started going grey when he was 16 and I began getting grey hairs when I was 21. Just normal variations I think.

dulce
March 26th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I had the odd one in my teens,by 35 I had a thick white stripe in the center of my bangs so I started to colour.Now at 61 ,am my natural[no dye] colour, a mix of gray,white ,light brown.Still am not all white or even completely gray yet.

emilia1992
March 27th, 2014, 03:15 AM
I found a couple of grey hairs throughout my teens. At first I pulled them out, but realised that it would be nicer to leave them there. I don't have any grey hairs at the moment; mine must have shed naturally.