PDA

View Full Version : Observation About A New Trend Hairstyle

swearnsue
March 26th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Let me begin by saying I don't get out much. Monday I was out doing errands all day and had an opportunity to people watch for hours.

I saw several women with a hair style that were all very similar and I'll try to describe it.

The back is cut very short, some where at bottom of the nape of the neck but most where actually cut or clippered up the back of the head about 1 inch long.

The crown is teased and poofed up for fullness.

The hemline is then cut so that the hair gets longer towards the front of the face, in a rather dramatic angle.

These were all white women in their 30s and 40s.

I like the cut on THEM, it looks well groomed and conformist.

The OCD in me though, it makes my skin crawl just a bit because the hemline is "backwards". That is just me, those of you who have your hair in this cut please don't be offended, it's my quirk about evenness of things.

So, is this a new trend in hair, or should I say a return of an old style. Didn't Vidal Sisson do this type of cut back in the 1980's?

Just another thought: perfect cut if you want your client to return every 6 weeks!

Rachel J
March 26th, 2014, 08:40 AM
If we're thinking of the same thing, it's called a stacked bob. Was it something like this? http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/80/30/6e/80306e0e6584f39182c61cd0d445d720.jpg

Isilme
March 26th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Oh, I think I know what you mean. It was popular in the mid 90's here, I always thought it was ugly :D Looked like they had a hair beak in the neck.

Stormynights
In the late 60s and early 70s, it was called a swing cut.

Bagginslover
Used to be called a graduated bob here (I had one, once upon a tims....). I liked it for the first few days, til I realised tying it back looked really odd-even pulled back, the front poits were longer than the hair at the back when in the ponytail. I had is straightened up after just 2 weeks, then grew it out again.

Lyv
March 26th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I used to have that hair cut and I really liked it! I don't know what it's called I just asked for a bob that was stacked in the back, it really does look strange if you try to put it up and does need some evening out if you want to grow it out.

SleepyTangles
March 26th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I can't judge, A line bobs are my least favourite hairstyle (on myself, at least!) :(. But they are very cool on some folks!

redredrobin
March 26th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I know the type you mean. Jennifer Aniston had her hair cut into a softer version of this at the end of last year, with the longer pieces at the front and shorter layers at the back of the neck.

lapushka
March 26th, 2014, 09:23 AM
A stacked bob, which has been *well-cut* looks awesome on me. I have to admit. It gives my thickness somewhere to go. Unfortunately, it's quite high maintenance and that won't happen for me again.

ladonna
March 26th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I like this hairstyle it pretty popular where I live with the +30 crowd. I had this haircut when I was little after the movie "All dogs go to Heaven." I like the hairstyle but I always wonder if the persons neck itches, I think if it would go crazy if my hair touched my neck.

Scarlet_Heart
March 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I've only known this as the "inverted bob." My SIL has it and it looks really cute on her. I just can't see it for myself because of the styling time, heat, and hair spray it would require. Plus I personally don't enjoy being on trend.

ArienEllariel
March 26th, 2014, 09:50 AM
That's actually the first short haircut I've really liked the look of. Unfortunately for me, my fine hair and round face would not be able to pull it off. It's cute though. :)

Hosta
March 26th, 2014, 10:03 AM
It is a stacked bob here. It is really popular. It is not my favorite. We were out to dinner with friends and the remark was made that nine out of the last ten girls that walked buy had the same haircut. I personally never understood why so many people wanted to looked like everyone else.

swearnsue
March 26th, 2014, 10:03 AM
If we're thinking of the same thing, it's called a stacked bob. Was it something like this? http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/80/30/6e/80306e0e6584f39182c61cd0d445d720.jpg

Yep, that is it! Even the highlighting seems to be part of the look. It think it would require a lot of product and maybe even curling iron or hair fryer.

It looks like a good way to have short hair yet face framing layers. Not for me though, I have to be able to get all the hair out of my eyes and face if I'm doing anything at all. You know, when I'm not sitting around looking pretty! LOL. (That was a joke!)

Diamond.Eyes
March 26th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Sounds like an a-line bob, which is probably my favorite short haircut. I don't think I would ever be brave enough to sport it, but I think they look really cute on a lot of people.

Autumn_Fairy
March 26th, 2014, 10:54 AM
When I was trying out different short styles many years ago, a stylist gave me this style even though I asked for something that was shorter in the front, not longer! how she confused that request, I don't know. I didn't like it at all. It doesn't fit my personality so I went back in and had it evened out and ended up with much much shorter hair, which I didn't like either, but at least it grew out more gracefully :)

Nadine <3
March 26th, 2014, 11:01 AM
HA, I had that cut once. I wore a hat because my cowlick in the back of my head stuck up like Alfalfa.

chen bao jun
March 26th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Makes you look rich. Because the maintenance must be incredible. I only know one woman who has this currently (it was in about 5 years ago around here). she's a pretty lady but she must easily weigh 400+ pounds. she has a very round face, obviously. Yet it is flattering on her, so it must not be a problem for a round face.
She really is pretty and stylishly dressed which I admire because it cannot be easy for her to find clothes, much less stylish ones. One worries about the weight though. My handsome brother nearly died last year from an aneurysm.he weighed 450 at the time and he's way over 6 feet, this girl is much shorter. she has gained at least another 50 pounds since getting married last year so I feel a bit concerned about her (but don't dare to say a word, I used to be overweight and people used to tell me it was unhealthy and you know, it wasn't like I didn't know it already...)

torrilin
March 26th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Yep, that is it! Even the highlighting seems to be part of the look. It think it would require a lot of product and maybe even curling iron or hair fryer.

It looks like a good way to have short hair yet face framing layers. Not for me though, I have to be able to get all the hair out of my eyes and face if I'm doing anything at all. You know, when I'm not sitting around looking pretty! LOL. (That was a joke!)

Actually, depending on your hair type, it can be an *incredibly* low maintenance style. My hair isn't as thick as Lapushka's, but a stacked or A line bob works very well on me. It's a very friendly style for straight to slightly wavy hair. It also tends to suit fine hair since fine hair tends to be easier to cut into blocky or heavy layers.

If you target the length in back as roughly chin length, it winds up being fairly versatile. You can go APL-shoulder length more towards your face, so you have enough hair to pull back in a variety of ways. French braids, half ups, buns, lace braids, headbands, barrettes, all kinds of options. If you prefer a very blunt look, it may take a bit of trimming as you grow out. For both my sister and I, it's a style that has historically been one of the easiest to grow out, since it starts out as flexible for updos, and it only gets better as it grows. If you find the "mullet" stage of growing out a pixie to be horrific and long, chances are you'll be happy with how this kind of cut grows out.

On curly hair, it probably would take more care in cutting to get a good look, and it might look quite odd on the 2c/3a folks who don't have much visible curl til their hair is past chin length. Definitely not a style I'd go for without a stylist who is good at curly hair helping on the cut.

VitaR86
March 26th, 2014, 01:37 PM
When I was in Cosmetology school, just about all the girls there had this cut. All different ages. Youngest was 19. Oldest was somewhere in her 40's. They called it a "Swing Bob".

There was one girl who cut it differently. Instead of the shorter back being at the nap of the neck, it was at the shoulder. And the front was APL length. It was cute when she curled it, but IMO, it didn't look good when straight.

Chrestomathy
March 26th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Like some other people said, I also know this style as an inverted bob. Where I'm located it was really popular about 5 or 6 years ago in the young adult population.

I think it's cute, but I would never want it. I imagine growing it out is a nuisance.

arr
March 26th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Since we are sharing our opinions, I'm not crazy about this style. I feel it looks too structured, too constrained. I prefer hair that looks more free and natural. Even when i had a bob, i wore it more natural, just scrunch and go.

duchesswannabe
March 26th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I love that style, but if I got that style, my hair would have to be pulled with a brush while blow drying it. A) I am too lazy for that; and B) I would mess around with it too much and try to put the front in barrettes because it would physically annoy me.

excentricat
March 26th, 2014, 05:39 PM
This was my preferred cut when I had it short. It has to be well cut though, or it just looks messy, and it's really hard to repair on yourself. Ask me how I know that one :rolleyes:. I didn't do the dyeing though.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I love this cut! I just would never have it on myself. The upkeep...shudder.

cathair
March 26th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I quite like it, which is something, cause I don't much like short hair. I couldn't do it though. Couldn't afford it, couldn't sit still long enough, couldn't do the maintenance or the styling. And my hair doesn't work like that, it would turn into a frizz ball. In fact, the only time I cut my hair short, I took a picture very similar to that to the hairdressers with me. My god, I was not ready for how different the end result would be. Very nice for those who can :)

swearnsue
March 26th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I love that style, but if I got that style, my hair would have to be pulled with a brush while blow drying it. A) I am too lazy for that; and B) I would mess around with it too much and try to put the front in barrettes because it would physically annoy me.

Me too! I'd put a barrette on each side which would completely change the look! lol

ravenreed
March 26th, 2014, 08:06 PM
I like the style but my hair would eat it for lunch and LAUGH! I have never been one to fuss much with styling tools anyway, but my hair has always had its own mind about things.

mz_butterfly
March 26th, 2014, 08:09 PM
It looks good on some people but not on everyone and would not look right on me. I don't like the haircut, it seems that you will see a group of 30-something women (or late 20's) and they all have that cut. It isn't a good look on many people. I don't understand why 10 women will all have the same cut. Very odd indeed.

GoddessLocks
March 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Oh yes its very popular around here. My mom has it and my sister is a hairstylist and does this cut a lot. She even posted a pic of one she did on someone today lol. It's not for me though. When I got married I had a normal Bob and liked that though

browneyedsusan
March 27th, 2014, 07:11 AM
I love that you don't get out much! You must be happy with your own company--a wonderful trait to have!

I have to share a story:
Went to a friend's house a few days ago. --This is a friend from church, where I wear my hair up.--
My hair was down/drying when I went over. She commented "OHmyGOSH, Susan, your hair has gotten so long!" in front of a bunch of people. I said, "Gee, thanks!" and let it go. :)
Today, while browsing through Pinterest, I see she has newly pinned a boatload of the haircuts you've described. Do you suppose I've inspired or perhaps mortified her?! :rollin:
She is a sweet girl, and very into trends.

spidermom
March 27th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I really dislike this haircut on nearly everybody. I used to see it a lot, but it seems to have become less popular in my area.

I went to a wedding a number of years ago. The bride's family were all Chinese, and I'd say 4 out of 5 women had that haircut. I felt like I didn't get the memo.

sally_neuf
March 27th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Interesting.. I haven't seen it here too much to be honest.

What many many young girls are doing is shaving half of their heads, leaving the other half long and a bit poofed. I think it looks kind of cool; I wonder if I can make something similar by doing cornroads on one side.. hmm

shutterpillar
March 27th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I see that cut all over the internet on places like Pinterest, but it must not be too popular where I live because I hardly ever see it when I'm out and about. I have a friend whose always had a short stacked cut like that, but besides her, I don't see it too often.

Maybe because I don't get out often enough? I'm a hermit, really. :cool:

chen bao jun
March 27th, 2014, 10:55 AM
It's funny how things go in and out of style in different parts of the US.
As I said before this was HUGE in this area 4-5 years ago and now you really don't see it. Longer hair is more in style here. Not LHC long but even the 40+ ladies generally have at least APL with layers at this time and most of the girls are midback to waist (usually with layers but not always). the girls put their hair up in those messy buns a lot (with claw clips). No one (or almost no one) has any kind of styled bob, except for a few ladies over 60. the ladies over 60 all have short hair, either in a bob or pixie. But anybody who wants to look youthful and stylish has at least APL hair.

swearnsue
March 27th, 2014, 01:37 PM
I've noticed more women with long hair in animal friendly environments, like feed stores, Pet Smart, the vet's office and animal adoption fairs.

Maybe that's because those are the places I usually spend time. For example, I never go to an opera or fashion show! Or anything considered "classy".

When I see that stacked, swing, reverse bob haircut I think to myself, "She better wear sunscreen on that pale neck or she'll get a heck of a sunburn!"

Sort of a change in topic: I saw a woman today, (at PetSmart) with beautiful waist length light blonde hair. She wore it loose and it MUST have been natural blonde because it was in excellent condition, not dry or straw looking in the least. She even had some natural looking waves. Very pretty.

YamaMaya
March 27th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Sorry if this offends but Im really not a fan of this hairstyle. It looks like a "mom" cut to me. Reminds me of the kate gosselin reverse mullet.

jacqueline101
March 28th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I was taking back my swamp thing DVDs to the library and drove by a beauty shop to see the style you're talking about. I seen three young girls walk out the door with that hairstyle.

chen bao jun
March 28th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I spoke too soon before. I went to a funeral this afternoon and about HALF the women there over 30 were sporting this. And there were at least 600 people there. So it must be more popular still than I realized.

It's not that it looked bad, exactly, but at least half of the half that were wearing it had totally fried hair. On healthy hair, it looks just fine.

AmyBeth
March 28th, 2014, 04:39 PM
I would never tell anyone IRL that I think it's Bleeccchhh! It's no coincidence that I'm here on the Long Hair Community:).

mrs_coffee
March 28th, 2014, 05:38 PM
It was very popular among suburban moms around here a few years ago. I think it's cute on the right person. I loved it on Victoria Beckham.

DarleneH
March 29th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I would have h-e-double hockey sticks keeping my hair straight enough for that. I think that's going to appeal mostly to the naturally straight haired peeps.

lostchyld
March 29th, 2014, 05:53 AM
I had a stacked Bob for awhile and really liked it. I skipped all the styling, but it flattered my wavy/curly hair. The teasing looks silly, imo, but I mostly see it on people who are making fashion choices which are dynamically opposite my own style.

duchesswannabe
March 29th, 2014, 07:17 AM
I think I am the only human on the planet who liked Kate Gosselin's hairstyle. :)

WilfredAllen
March 29th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I am almost always not a fan. To me, it usually looks waaay over-groomed and trying-too-hard, and I also associated it with the soccer mom type. It looks nice when it's a bit longer, not stick straight, not highlighted and with not such a dramatic hemline.

MaryO
March 29th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I had one in the 90's, I was about 11 I think. We used to call them Chinese bobs. Of course I didn't have the teased crown and it wasn't that dramatic but I think this needs to have stayed back in the 90's! ;-)

swearnsue
March 29th, 2014, 09:52 AM
It gives a certain look that says conformity, white middle class in a way. That's not me. I'm the old lady with the little bun type of "style". Not that I have a style, but there is a part of me that is glad many women are cutting their hair off because it makes my hair seem longer.

I know, meow.

Hele
March 29th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I think I am the only human on the planet who liked Kate Gosselin's hairstyle. :)

nope, i liked it too! Though never in a million years would i ever have hair that short, i'm not a "style your hair" type plus shorter hair tends to grow outward instead of downward on me. I see this type of cut around here quite a bit, it seems popular with the tanning bed visiting/fake nail wearing subset around here, with some overlap into soccer mom land. Nothing wrong with any of that, just not my scene!

Henna Girl
March 29th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I had this haircut once and I didn't like it because it made me look too serious and stiff. It looks good on some people, but not me.

BrightEyes
March 29th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I've had this hair style many times. It suites my face very well and is fun and "sassy", and my DH loves it on me. I got tired of it though and have always wanted to grow my hair long. The problem with it is that it is SO hard to grow out (for me at least). All the layers make growing out a nightmare. I'm still trying to grow out the layers :(

excentricat
March 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM
When I grew mine out, I grew the shortest layer down to the hairline on the back of my neck, then chopped the whole thing to that level. It meant losing a lot of length off the front, and it wasn't particularly flattering on me, but it meant that I could grow with a blunt hemline from there on and not worry about it.

browneyedsusan
March 29th, 2014, 01:38 PM
It gives a certain look that says conformity, white middle class in a way. That's not me. I'm the old lady with the little bun type of "style".
Not that I have a style, but there is a part of me that is glad many women are cutting their hair off because it makes my hair seem longer.

I know, meow.

:agree: me too :kitten:

HazelBug
March 29th, 2014, 01:54 PM
It's not my favorite hair style. But I don't think it looks bad. I'm not interested in it for myself ever though. I like being able to pull all my hair up or back or whatever.

Tini'sNewHair
March 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Really dislike that style - I had it once but a softer version and NOT by choice, my original request was to have a blunt cut to my shoulders - I was so annoyed with that style that I had it fixed within a day.

Lindseyh
March 29th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I had that haircut in appx 2008-2009. It was cute, but too much effort. My baby was born in 2010 and I desperately needed a ponytail. That's the shortest my hairs ever been- and been growing out since then!

makeminea99
March 29th, 2014, 04:35 PM
It's quite popular round my neck of the woods, too - that and the shaved/shorter on the side thing, too. I quite like these styles, although I think the stacked bob thing wouldn't suit my hair, mainly 'cos I'm too lazy to faff with blowdrying/straightening etc! I have attempted a teeny side cut thing on myself though . . . shaved a tiny bit above my left ear down to my scalp a month ago. Funny, you don't realize how useful those bits at the sides are until they're not there!! Husband didn't spot it for three weeks, though! :p

swearnsue
March 29th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I like the half shaved head look. I'm not cool enough to wear it though but I like it on others. Especially if there are some pink or purple highlights.

I bought a little extension hair thing with purple, blue and green hair but I haven't had the guts to wear it yet.

duchesswannabe
March 30th, 2014, 09:06 AM
It gives a certain look that says conformity, white middle class in a way. That's not me. I'm the old lady with the little bun type of "style". Not that I have a style, but there is a part of me that is glad many women are cutting their hair off because it makes my hair seem longer.

I know, meow.

I think it did in the past, but no so much now. I see more women who are fashion conscious with hair that is long and straight nowadays than the ultra-short styles of the button-up business 70's and 80's. I cut my hair very short several years ago because I went through a stage where I hated long hair and wanted no part (no pun intended) of it.

mrs_coffee
March 30th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I like the half shaved head look. I'm not cool enough to wear it though but I like it on others.

I love that look too. I especially liked it on Rihanna.

bunnylake
March 30th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I'm growing out a lightly inverted bob now! The angle wasn't very severe, and no "stacking" in the back, just some layering. It has grown out fast and it looks pretty good. I'd say I'm 3-4 months away from shoulder length at this point.
I'm noticing that long bobs are very in right now. I like them. That's sort of what my hair has grown out to look like, and it's pretty effortless. I used to get flippy ends but they have calmed down a lot.
What I dislike is when women tease the back of their hair with this style. There's just something very off putting about it. It just looks over styled.

stachelbeere
March 30th, 2014, 10:01 AM
that was my hair cut throughout the majority of my life... it looks really good on me but because of that I never had long hair :/

Micayla47
March 30th, 2014, 10:05 AM
If you like short hair, I've always thought you can't go wrong with a bob or a lob. It seems to flatter almost every face shape and hair style. I don't, however, like the teased bits in the back.

AmyBeth
March 30th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I would have h-e-double hockey sticks keeping my hair straight enough for that. I think that's going to appeal mostly to the naturally straight haired peeps.

I have stick straight hair, and could never do this style. My hair is way too fine and thin to achieve this look unless I emptied several cans of product into my hair and made a helmet out of it- not very attractive, I think.