PDA

View Full Version : the saga continues

ErinLeigh
March 25th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Well, I cut again. I swore I wouldn't but when I took pictures of the back of my head I freaked out.
It was much worse than just a chunk on the right side. The layers were far more choppier than i imagined. I didn't realize so much was cut off. I went in to trim the back and dust the layers.

After all night of deliberating I decided there was no way I could fix this myself or grow it out as it was.
I would be embarrassed to continue to go out with my hair like this.

I met a nice stylist who does not like short hair. She wants to grow me long. She took time and showed me 20 plus photos of hair she styles.
She really wanted me to trust her. Her plan is to trim the bottom 2 more times to remove the layers then let it grow. She chose this because my hair is still fragile from the keratin, plus as she pointed out, whoever flat ironed by hair (the stylist who cut it last Thursday) burned the bangs and the left front pieces. So yes, flat ironing once can fry hair I learned. I have some very fried and krinkly pieces here and there on the bottom inch. Another shock.
I need to grow and cut once more inch then I will be finally able to grow my length. I cannot wait. Ditching these layers will thrill me. The new stylist was baffled why anyone would put layers in such fine hair in the first place.
She wants me to cowash only for now, and stretch washes to give my hair a break.
She also wants to fix the color also but wants to wait until hair gets in better shape.

A part of me still wants to self trim, but her pictures did impress me. Plus she talked me thru everything she did. She had me watch while she explained. I liked that. My favorite thing, she put no product in my hair. She wanted me to see how it would fall without product. Plus she told me since she hoped I would stretch washes that not putting a bunch of product in my hair would allow me to that. I was happily surprised.

So, for for the first time in a really long time I had a positive salon experience. I am so glad. I was shaking when I went in.

I am so glad I went out and fixed this. I have been upset all night looking at my hair. At least now I feel like I am at a point to get my hair back to what it was before the keratin. My goal is my avatar, nothing crazy, just back to normal. I will re evaluate from there. Small milestones are better for me emotionally.

So .. lets do before and after pics. They may be big as I do not have ability to size via phone.

BEFORE
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/27ab20ae-c742-46ef-be03-381794e3f9ed_zps0da48fe1.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/27ab20ae-c742-46ef-be03-381794e3f9ed_zps0da48fe1.jpg.html)

LOOK HOW CHOPPY!
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3cc89ae0.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3cc89ae0.jpg.html)

THE CHUNK REVEALED WHEN I MOVED HAIR A BIT TO THE SIDE
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps06bdf479.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps06bdf479.jpg.html)

[U]AFTER
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/57512a84-03a1-4fae-a5be-d674fc116a20_zps72eec122.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/57512a84-03a1-4fae-a5be-d674fc116a20_zps72eec122.jpg.html)

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/152f67b6-1c6d-46d4-b391-cfe7e155c5fa_zps7621922f.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/152f67b6-1c6d-46d4-b391-cfe7e155c5fa_zps7621922f.jpg.html)

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/35bd3bb4-02b1-4d15-9662-51e514b3f5d6_zps0241021c.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/35bd3bb4-02b1-4d15-9662-51e514b3f5d6_zps0241021c.jpg.html)

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/40cd2be5-96b7-4874-8ff4-56da9e6d5d36_zps2c5f9a3c.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/40cd2be5-96b7-4874-8ff4-56da9e6d5d36_zps2c5f9a3c.jpg.html)

Crumpet
March 25th, 2014, 12:22 PM
It sounds like you had a great experience with a stylist this time, which is great news. I wish they were all like that!

I'm sorry about your first haircut. I liked it from the front, but I do see what you mean by the back being really layered. It looks like this second stylist did excellent work at evening it out, but leaving you with some length. Your hair will grow out to your signature length fairly soon with patience. And now you have a good stylist to help you get your hair ready to be grown the way that you want.

Its scary that one flat-ironing experience can fry your hair! I've never flat-ironed and don't intend to do so...I'll run away from them even faster now though!

MeAndTheMaz
March 25th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Sheesh. That first cut really does look like crap. The latest one looks so much better (so far?), so maybe you've finally found a stylist you can trust. It puts you farther from your goals, but at least now, maybe you can enjoy the journey.

walterSCAN
March 25th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I am so glad you found this new stylist!! She sounds wonderful, and she did a great job with your hair and (it sounds like) with giving you some confidence back/ taking some stress away. I'm so sorry the first cut wasn't what you thought it was. That is so frustrating. I wonder how stylists who do things like that (removing a CHUNK of hair and just trying to hide it with product) get any return customers and/ or stay in business.

Wosie
March 25th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Oh dear, I am both sad and happy for you right now! I will focus on the happiness. The new hairdresser seems very genuine and a true keeper! Not only did she sincerely care about your hair, she also gave you some neat tips (I wonder if she's a member here). I think your hairdo looks much nicer now, and I can't see the choppiness and uneven layering anymore. It barely looks shorter either, just fuller and healthier. I'm so happy for you that you finally had some good luck with a hairdresser! :blossom:

ErinLeigh
March 25th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Thank you for response :)
I dont use flat irons personally at this time but I did long ago and they didn't burn my hair (although they weren't good for it either) so I never really believed one time would ruin it. I allowed the lady to do it Thursday as she wanted hair straight to cut. I didn't worry. Now seeing her horrible cut I can easily believe she had no clue about hair and did fry the heck out of it. Too many passes, to slow when pulling it thru.

The new stylist said the old stylist must have had the heat turned to 450 degrees and hair must have been a wee damp still. I think the water got to hot in the shaft and exploded it. It's a little scary how fragile my hair is.
I can see the pieces she is talking about and they are bad. I cannot wait to slowly trim them off. I would have chopped all off but I would have to go way to short and I am just not ready for that. I will just cut the growth for the next few months to remove then finally chug towards APL.

This has been the longest most frustrating hair journey. 5 months of bad results every single time. It's amazing how hair can get so screwed up. Knowing this is why I still want to self trim. I may stop after the next 2 cuts. I just don't know if I have it in me to get regular cuts anymore. I just want quarterly microtrims and those I could do myself realistically once layers are less severe.

ErinLeigh
March 25th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Oh dear, I am both sad and happy for you right now! I will focus on the happiness. The new hairdresser seems very genuine and a true keeper! Not only did she sincerely care about your hair, she also gave you some neat tips (I wonder if she's a member here). I think your hairdo looks much nicer now, and I can't see the choppiness and uneven layering anymore. It barely looks shorter either, just fuller and healthier. I'm so happy for you that you finally had some good luck with a hairdresser! :blossom:
Girl I was wondering the same thing. She adores long hair. When she does layer she only does face framing fro the photos I saw. She loves length.
She isn't big on cones for my hair type, and knew about oiling hair. She also understand curly/wavy hair as she has mega curls. I got the sense she has seen this site or has clients on it. All of her clients started with hair as short as mine and all now have long HEALTHY hair. The ones with layers have very light and minimal layerings also. Nothing severe and nothing choppy.
She even had a before and after of 70 year woman she cuts for who had gorgeous long silver/white hair. She said the woman went her whole life with short hair because "it would not grow" and now she is past BSL. I was impressed and happy that is for sure.

And thank you for being happy for me. That is nice and it is appreciated. I have been through so much since I started visiting this site. I have slowly gone shorter yes, but I have learned so much for when I grow,

ErinLeigh
March 25th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I am so glad you found this new stylist!! She sounds wonderful, and she did a great job with your hair and (it sounds like) with giving you some confidence back/ taking some stress away. I'm so sorry the first cut wasn't what you thought it was. That is so frustrating. I wonder how stylists who do things like that (removing a CHUNK of hair and just trying to hide it with product) get any return customers and/ or stay in business.

Sheesh. That first cut really does look like crap. The latest one looks so much better (so far?), so maybe you've finally found a stylist you can trust. It puts you farther from your goals, but at least now, maybe you can enjoy the journey.

Yes, do they get ANY return business?! I mean, does she do normal cuts on others and just not me? Or does she just suck and others do not notice? I think she sucks as a stylist and no one paying $ should have had those kind of home haircut results. Heck home cuts are better. I am dying to see a photo book of before and afters of that lady's cuts. I am super curious. I have now decided all good stylists SHOULD have photos of their cuts so one can get an idea before getting in that chair. And cut regular pics, not overly styled. Show me your work, not the products work.

This may go down as the worst cut I have ever had. The crazy thing is I really didn't notice it until I washed all the stuff out. I do not know what I would have done if I would have seen it while in the chair.

Just think walterSCAN, in a mere 10 years I can have hair as gorgeous as yours :) LOL

ME yes first one looked like CRAP. Only way to say it. i like the (so far?) its very true. You just never know on day one. I am hoping this good feeling I am feeling is real. I really am grateful she didn't use product. It felt more honest.

Oh, so also the new lady said I will frizz a lot less once I get length. She said the lightness of all these layers gives me way more fizz than I should have normally.
Does anyone who went short to long notice this as true?

schnibbles
March 25th, 2014, 01:04 PM
My favorite thing, she put no product in my hair. She wanted me to see how it would fall without product. Plus she told me since she hoped I would stretch washes that not putting a bunch of product in my hair would allow me to that. I was happily surprised.

This stood out to me also. A good cut does not need product to look good.
I wouldn't have been happy either with that first cut. Not at all. I think you did the right thing.
Salons and stylists just plain freak me the heck out. It sounds like your new stylist really knows her stuff, if I could find one like that I would go to her.
But I can't, so I self-trim.
Your new cut does make your hair look much fuller...looks great! :)

Steffid87
March 25th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I can't give you an answer from the short to long, because when mine was short it was fried beyond oblivion with tons of products, but I can say that the second haircut pictures are beautiful!!
I hope this new hairdresser is all you've ever dreamed of and helps you with your journey. I would take the pictures of your hair after you washed the product out, and make sure that the salon in which you had your first cut is aware of the damage, and also of the damage with the flat iron! Maybe the owner doesn't know one of her girls is massacring hair?

ravenheather
March 25th, 2014, 01:25 PM
It looks so much better. You made a good choice.

walterSCAN
March 25th, 2014, 01:27 PM
*snip* I have now decided all good stylists SHOULD have photos of their cuts so one can get an idea before getting in that chair. And cut regular pics, not overly styled. Show me your work, not the products work.
*snip*

Just think walterSCAN, in a mere 10 years I can have hair as gorgeous as yours :) LOL

*snip*

I mean, other artists/ technicians have portfolios for their clients to look at (I'm thinking of tattoo artists, especially) so you can see their work and decide if they're the one for you, so why not hair stylists too? I agree that this new stylist seems a lot more open and willing to help you get to your goals. Maybe once you get that inch off, go to her once or twice a year (since she knows your goal is growing longer, she seems like the type that wouldn't be offended by that) and learn to microtrim yourself for in between if you feel like you need it? If I could find a stylist like that, I'd hang on to her!

Also, HA! I don't think it'd take a whole decade to get yours this length! ;) I bet it'll surprise you how fast it gets to your goal once you get the layers completely handled. (and thank you for the compliment... :) makes me feel better given it's currently in a baby-tangled bun that I'm afraid to deal with right now!)

ETA-->

*snip* A good cut does not need product to look good.
*snip*

Agreed 1000%.

JessicaAnn
March 25th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Your new cut looks really sweet! I liked the first one from the front, but the back looked a lot like the choppy layering they did to my hair in October, complete with the missing mystery chunk. It honestly doesn't even look that much shorter, just a million times better. This stylist sounds like a keeper!

As for hair behaving better once it gets some length and weight to it, I will say that mine definitely does. My texture and thickness are different from yours, but I would think that would hold true for most everyone.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at first, but at least it could be fixed by someone. I'll be watching to see how that cut grows out, I think it's going to be great!

Nadine <3
March 25th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Oh wow, that first stylist really did a number on your hair! Did she have earplugs in when you explain what you wanted or what?! I think your hair looks SO much better now though. This second stylist seems like a keeper! Is that you natural color? It's lovely!

Liz_park
March 25th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I'm so happy to hear that you found a great stylist! I've been following your hair saga for a few months now so it was great to see this post. Your newest haircut looks great and really healthy. It's so great that you have a hair ally to help you with micro trims!

It was almost a year ago that I had my "disaster cut". I'm happy to report that 11 months later my hair is the nicest and longest it's ever been. I've been trimming away layers but it is just about APL now, and I love it. I am so excited to grow it to BSL and maybe even waist!

The months will fly by! Long hair isn't far off!!

sarahthegemini
March 25th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Wow, your hair looks beautiful Erin. And the fact that it looks that great with no product manipulation, you should be very pleased :) I'm so happy that you've got a cut to be happy with!

momschicklets
March 25th, 2014, 02:51 PM
I'm horrified to see that chunk out of the back of your hair! I would have freaked! The difference with the new cut is so dramatic....so nicely blended and obvious that someone skilled did it. Really, really hope you can enjoy the grow-out process now and not hate your hair in the meantime. What a difference a good cut makes! Wow!

JessicaAnn
March 25th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Is anyone else super jelly of her color and texture? If I had hair like that I would never be able to keep my hands out of it.

Of the Fae
March 25th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Love love love it!
It looks so voluminous now!

lapushka
March 25th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Well, I'm happy you found a stylist that you're now more comfortable with. I see no reason why you couldn't grow it out now - as is. But it's all up to you. I'd leave the self-trimming to hair that's at least APL to BSL. It's really hard to self-trim on such short hair.

Hairitic
March 25th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I was so happy when I read your experience with the new hairdresser. It's wonderful when you find a service person that takes the service part of the job seriously. It sounds like she really likes what she does. That's a wonderful thing. ;) If you find once you wash your hair, that indeed the cut is good, please make sure you tip her well when you go back. Great service always deserves to be shown due appreciation. :p

spidermom
March 25th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I'm glad that you got the bad cut fixed and feel satisfied with your salon experience for a change. Now .... patience. I anticipate that in a few months you will be unhappy when your hair starts flipping up at the shoulders, but you have to grow through it. I've gotten the impression from you (which may be completely false I realize) that you really go for the instant gratification, but growing hair long requires just the opposite.

lapushka
March 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I've gotten the impression from you (which may be completely false I realize) that you really go for the instant gratification, but growing hair long requires just the opposite.

Pardon me for saying so as well. That has been my impression also. You *want* to grow long, but as soon as awkwardness (of the stages) comes into play...

LauraLongLocks
March 25th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Wow, Erin, it looks so much better now. Glad you are happy with it, too. Now just set the scissors down (and don't walk by any salons for a while) and walk away slowly... no more cutting necessary. Your hair looks good, and it will grow, and be awkward at times, but just keep growing through it and you'll see how awesome it can be. So, I guess this means you're not going to fly to Idaho? Ha ha! I'm glad you found a stylist that you can trust. In 6 months time, I hereby give you permission to return to this stylist and get your next trim, but then leave it alone for another 6 months before you return... trim twice a year, at most, while you are gaining the length you want. You'll see results faster that way. ;)

two_wheels
March 25th, 2014, 06:02 PM
It does look loads better, congratulations! Pleased for you.

Your question about length reducing frizz- I have found that to be the case, I have less frizz in a pixie or when it's BSL.

Now step awaaaay from the scissors :scissors:

Macaroni
March 25th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Wow! This is a major relief for you. The second new pic looks terrific!

Macaroni
March 25th, 2014, 06:04 PM
The after pics look perfect!

ErinLeigh
March 25th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Too many to reply too so will hit them in general.

Thank you all for the compliment s on it. I do feel much better.
It had to be done. I have been cutting my hair once a month since I came here. That is a lot, even for me. I used to go every 3-4 months.
Once the hair got fried I had a series of cuts to A. remove damage and B. correct bad cuts that stemmed from the damage.
In this case it had to be instant gratification. I just cannot deal with parched fried frazzled hair. Nor can I deal with anything uneven or unpleasing to the eye.
When my hair is butchered or fried I find I cannot stop thinking about it. I wish I had more patience, and if it was not damaged I could probably eek out a liiiittle more patience...but when it is this bad, I would rather be short than long. Just a personal thing.
As far as flips...I WELCOME those. lol It will be a sign of things growing :) I promise not to cut those off or moan about them.

The only times I have ever got my hair longer (it's been mostly shorter most of my life for same reasons as now) was when I had one good solid cut that I was able to simply let be to grow. When its not shaped right I find myself constantly seeking that "perfect" cut to get me back to my starting point. I am not happy that it took 5 months to get, but I am relieved it is over. I will be babying the fried pieces so that hopefully I can wait 3 months before going back instead of the 1/2 inch month plan for 2 months...but I will play it by ear I suppose.

But yes, I am very much instant gratification when it comes to ease of styling, shape and texture. I can deal with loss of length way easier than loss of good texture.
I guess that makes it a lot easier for me to cut more, which could be god or bad depending.

I am grateful the stylist refused my request to cut another inch off now. I wanted any fried piece gone but she told me it is most likely all ready traveled far and it would be counterproductive. Once cut the new ends would still have frazzle. For now the advise was baby baby baby. She also reminded me that inch is the difference in being able to wear up or not because that is important to me. All hair still can get up and into a claw clip at this length but it is at its limit. Any shorter it wouldn't happen. I am glad someone was able to push some patience on me. I am an Aries so its all or nothing with me and it needs to happen NOW.

The chunk still pisses me off. I am going back and forth on if I should say anything about the burn, the chunk, the poor skills. In a way I want them to know, but in the other I just don;t want to go there mentally and get myself worked up. I gave that lady a huge tip for that cut. I thought it was fine. I didn't love it, before I saw the chunk I mean, but I didn't hate it. I tipped her out of relief as I thought I was DONE. I wish I could take that money back. IT was undeserved. I am sorry , it wasn't The new lady had her jaw on the floor when looking at my hair and all the other people came around and were peeking with that train wreck curiosity when I came in. I think the whole salon was eager to see how the stylist was going to fix it. The chunk and choppiness was bad enough to draw a lot of attention when I walked in. One person said the before hair looked "like a paint brush."
I think what makes me the angriest is that I had grown the layers out a lot. I went in to cut the back of hair to get it more close to one length, and the mistake was allowing to "dust" the layers. It turned into a hack job that set me back 5 months. Why would you cut shorter layers in to someones hair who specifically said "i am growing out layers to get to goal of all one length, please cut 2 inches off back and lightly dust the tips of the current layers to clean them." I lost as several inches off the layers. From almost shoulder to earlobe. I want to cry thinking about it, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise to find this new woman? Fingers crossed on that. Her pictures told a good story of all clients growing long healthy hair. I want to join them.

As far as tip, already done. It was huge. I wanted her to know I appreciated her time, her advise and her skills. Since she did not use any product at all I already know its good cut so that is a bonus. She really wanted me to see how it would look when styled myself so she she used nothing. She did not shampoo my hair when I came in either, only a co-wash and I do those at home so I think it will look similar next wash.

The one pic from the side view I posted looks like a mullet, I had pulled hair to back just so the shortest layer length could be seen. I just looked at that pic and saw how mullety it looked and had to run and check it in mirror to make sure it didn't really look that way naturally. HA

I guess I can expect a full year to get to APL. Hopefully less but that will depend on how far up the damage is I suppose. Glad summer is coming, my hair tends to grow faster in the warmer months. I am going start posting in the monthly length thread to see if I can notice any progress from here on out. It may help hold me more accountable for growth instead of chops.

As i post these threads or discuss with friends, I always get feedback from others who had bad salon experiences. I just cannot wrap my head around how often it can happen. Why? What is going on where trained professionals, trusted with something as important as appearance, take to ruining someones hair? Chunks, choppy pieces, inches removed instead of requested 1/4 inch, chemical damage, ripping brushes and combs through hair...etc etc I don;t understand it. Are they simply not trained well? Do they just not have an eye for their art? Or do they not care and half-a$$ through their jobs? I wish I knew. Maybe it is a combination of all. The only way to avoid it is either less to no visits, or find someone good and stick to them like glue. The hard part is finding them though. There are not as many good stylists as there should be. The ones who are, I hope they get paid well as they deserve it for treating clients hair with respect

So what I have learned from LHC? Long hair seems easier. You can trim the bottom and be good to go. No fuss, no muss.
I am almost to that point, then the growth will come without drama and high speed come-aparts.

I also learned there are some really kind and supportive women here who just make my day better every single time I read one of their considerate or knowledgeable posts.

Carolyn
March 25th, 2014, 08:16 PM
You've found a keeper in your new stylist. She "gets" it. I would think every stylist would want a happy client who will return but it seems so many want to get creative. I'm so glad you found someone who will work with you as you grow out.

ExpectoPatronum
March 25th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Wow! Your new stylist did great! I'm so happy you found someone that actually cares about your goals and is working with you to give you the hair that YOU want.

Care to share advice on how to find such a winning stylist?

ErinLeigh
March 26th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Wow! Your new stylist did great! I'm so happy you found someone that actually cares about your goals and is working with you to give you the hair that YOU want.

Care to share advice on how to find such a winning stylist?

I wish I new. It's always hit or miss with me. This time when I called salon I asked for a master stylist and explained my situation and asked they match me with someone up for the challenger. :)
it doesn't always work though as my past photos show. Its a bummer. You think all could be good. Listening is high on the needed list. But technique is important as well. Hard combo to find unfortunately.

Anyway your hair is looking great as it is just by growing out. Don't mess with a good thing!

ErinLeigh
March 26th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Pardon me for saying so as well. That has been my impression also. You *want* to grow long, but as soon as awkwardness (of the stages) comes into play...

To answer the response to Spidermom and the comment above so you can see why I do what I do .... I wouldn't call it awkward or a personality thing of not being able to handle the tough times. I would call it a lot of work to deal with severe damage. Unfortunately that requires cutting. And cutting can lead to stylist error. (Especially when I sit frozen and let it happen. And without telling them after how upset I really am)
It is just doing what needs to be done. Length can wait. That is the ultimate patience. Its about growing long healthy hair for me that looks good in every stage of progress. I can't deal with anything less. If that means being a year behind my goal I can do it. Its worth it to me to be able to be happy with it now. When that mega damage is finally cut away it will get there I am sure. I can't be long for the sake of being long. I need quality hair before going that far. Is short my ideal? Nah. But its making me happier than I have been in the last 5 months so I am at peace. I can want long, but it does not mean I am ready yet. I still have a lot to learn and a lot of changes to make. Its a journey for sure. Setbacks and all. Each one has taught me something important As much I am frustrated, I accept my role in what happened and assume it was just lessons needing to be learned first.

It it was a huge deal for me to really talk to a stylist and really be firm. When I first sat down, before I told her my story she was trying to get me to color. For the first time I didn't dumbly nod and take it. I have a pretty serious abuse history in my past which shaped me into a people pleaser. Its near impossible for me to say no or speak my mind in places I feel anxiety. Salons give me anxiety so I clam up so fast. This was a huge step for me. Holding my ground. I think maybe that was the lesson I was needing to get out of this. How to speak up. Once I did the woman instantly changed her approach gave me what I needed. And for first time in long time, I gave myself what was needed too. It was an awesome feeling. :)

I know this sounds odd but I think it helps explain the posts better and helps lead to why I am where I am today. I like you all too much to let you think I'm just neurotic for the sake of drama.

jacqueline101
March 26th, 2014, 03:21 AM
I don't know much about hair stylist or heated tools damage. I'm glad you got a good stylist that will listen to you and has common ground with. It's amazing that she likes long hair.

Selkie-
March 26th, 2014, 03:39 AM
I think your hair looks amazing right now - so healthy and gorgeous. I am really quite envious! x

Lyv
March 26th, 2014, 04:18 AM
I'm glad you were able to find a better stylist! Until I found the lady I go to now I was constantly unhappy with how my hair turned out partly due to me not being assertive enough to tell them no or to stop them before they cut too much so I know the feeling. Your hair really does look much better after the second cut and her plan seems like a good one! It sucks to have to keep cutting but shorter healthy hair that you actually enjoy is much better than long damaged hair that you just want to hide.

Callque
March 26th, 2014, 04:59 AM
What a beautiful job your stylist did! I didn't see anything wrong with your first haircut until you showed us the back. I'd recommend emailing the salon those photos and telling them what happened so you don't have to deal with the confrontational aspect of it. I think you are similar to me when it comes to hair. If it isn't healthy and doesn't look good then GET IT OFF. Lol. I did a post-wedding chop of about 6-7 inches and don't regret it one bit. My ends were like Velcro; they were incredibly dry and rough and I had grown out a lot of dye damage. My hair felt in near perfect condition after that salon visit and I don't care if it set me back a year of growing out or not. When my hair isn't breaking off of the ends it seems to gain length a lot faster too. :)

Your hair looks gorgeous now and I'd recommend not cutting it for as long as you can possibly stand it. I used to get my hair cut every 3-4 months as soon as it lost its shape, then I realized if I ever wanted to grow long I needed to stretch it out even further so I transitioned to getting it cut every 6 months, and then after that big post-wedding chop that removed a huge amount of damage I have had no problem avoiding getting it cut for a year now and it still looks good and healthy (I do microtrims when needed with the small blue CreaClip). I hope the same happens for you :)

lapushka
March 26th, 2014, 08:00 AM
To answer the response to Spidermom and the comment above so you can see why I do what I do .... I wouldn't call it awkward or a personality thing of not being able to handle the tough times. I would call it a lot of work to deal with severe damage. Unfortunately that requires cutting. And cutting can lead to stylist error. (Especially when I sit frozen and let it happen. And without telling them after how upset I really am)
It is just doing what needs to be done. Length can wait. That is the ultimate patience. Its about growing long healthy hair for me that looks good in every stage of progress. I can't deal with anything less. If that means being a year behind my goal I can do it. Its worth it to me to be able to be happy with it now. When that mega damage is finally cut away it will get there I am sure. I can't be long for the sake of being long. I need quality hair before going that far. Is short my ideal? Nah. But its making me happier than I have been in the last 5 months so I am at peace. I can want long, but it does not mean I am ready yet. I still have a lot to learn and a lot of changes to make. Its a journey for sure. Setbacks and all. Each one has taught me something important As much I am frustrated, I accept my role in what happened and assume it was just lessons needing to be learned first.

It it was a huge deal for me to really talk to a stylist and really be firm. When I first sat down, before I told her my story she was trying to get me to color. For the first time I didn't dumbly nod and take it. I have a pretty serious abuse history in my past which shaped me into a people pleaser. Its near impossible for me to say no or speak my mind in places I feel anxiety. Salons give me anxiety so I clam up so fast. This was a huge step for me. Holding my ground. I think maybe that was the lesson I was needing to get out of this. How to speak up. Once I did the woman instantly changed her approach gave me what I needed. And for first time in long time, I gave myself what was needed too. It was an awesome feeling. :)

I know this sounds odd but I think it helps explain the posts better and helps lead to why I am where I am today. I like you all too much to let you think I'm just neurotic for the sake of drama.

I get it now. I had forgotten there was damage you were dealing with as well. That doesn't make it any easier. I hope you can get the damage out within a reasonable space of time, and happy growing I'd say! :D

ErinLeigh
March 26th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I get it now. I had forgotten there was damage you were dealing with as well. That doesn't make it any easier. I hope you can get the damage out within a reasonable space of time, and happy growing I'd say! :D

I know. I know it was coming from a good place. I just wanted to explain the bipolar "never cutting,cutting,never cutting" comments I make. My desires and the condition of my hair refuse to get on the same page!
I will say this, the conditioning twice method seems to help me a lot to get some much needed moisture back into my hair. I don't know why it works better but it does. It's One of the few thing I hadn't tried before joining here. Not had I heard of it. Most things I had already dabbled with. This one was new. Simple but worked. LOC is another I hadn't tried prior. Hopefully these things will bring me to the end of the damage issue.

lapushka
March 26th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I know. I know it was coming from a good place. I just wanted to explain the bipolar "never cutting,cutting,never cutting" comments I make. My desires and the condition of my hair refuse to get on the same page!
I will say this, the conditioning twice method seems to help me a lot to get some much needed moisture back into my hair. I don't know why it works better but it does. It's One of the few thing I hadn't tried before joining here. Not had I heard of it. Most things I had already dabbled with. This one was new. Simple but worked. LOC is another I hadn't tried prior. Hopefully these things will bring me to the end of the damage issue.

I'm glad conditioning twice and the LOC method both make it easier on you to combat the damage. :flower:

ErinLeigh
March 26th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I meant NOR had i heard of i. That was simple idea but new to my eyes!

I wish i could reply to everyone individually but I am sure it would look annoying. I just think anyone who takes time out of their day to offer advice or kind words deserves gratitude.
I read every comment and felt warmed by all. A little encouragement goes such a long way. Hair usually involves a back story. I find it is usually connected to some situation or emotion. It really is a personal thing so you are almost exposing a part of yourself when sharing it. Its daunting to post photos of hair going shorter on a LH forum but it makes it easier when people reach out. Encouragement is a good thing. It something I try to incorporate into my everyday life to pay forward.

I hope by this time next year the tone of my posts are quite different. :) I hope to see results of following good advise instead of making same mistakes. For instance I had learned a lot about flat irons and what the temperatures can do, yet I didn't listen. I got over confident and thought one time would not matter. I forgot how fragile my hair was. It reactivated the keratin damage and I should have known better. I would imagine that is frustrating to read. No one wants to hear how someone does something against better advice and then is bummed about it. I appreciate no one calling me out negatively about it as I was already completely embarrassed but you have every right to. I take up time here with my issues so it is only respectful to heed what I am told or to suck it up.

ashke50
March 26th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Just joining the chorus saying that your hair looks beautiful now, and I'm really glad your new stylist seems to understand about long hair, and about what you want. I look forward to seeing the progress shots now that you've got a good starting point for your growth :)

~Abi~
March 26th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I love the new cut! I will echo the others' sentiments in that I really can't tell any difference in the length, but your hair is so much better blended looking and looks like it has more volume! Also, your new stylist really sounds like a keeper. Not only did she do a great job on this cut, but the fact she wants you to get to your hair goals and is giving tips to get your hair healthier is awesome.