PDA

View Full Version : Unusually tangly hair?

Rufflebutt
March 25th, 2014, 11:54 AM
My hair tangles so much more than the average persons. D:

Most people I know only brush their hair in the morning and then it's fine for the rest of the day.

I have to detangle my hair multiple times in a day because it tangles so much. I don't do anything super out of the ordinary, just normal daily activity like going to class and walking to school and such. I'm not super active.

Could it be the combination of my hair being both thick and pretty fine? Would thinning out my hair a little make it tangle less often? My hair is actually in pretty good condition, not very splits or damage so I don't think that's the cause. I'm not a big fan of wearing my hair up, it's just my personal preference. So any suggestions on products or techniques that could make my hair less likely to tangle would be nice.

I use tresseme breakage defense shampoo and conditioner because it's the only thing that allows me to detangle my hair.

rosalinda
March 25th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I don't think your hair is unusually tangly if you have fine hair. The wind (even if it's only a little breeze) and clothing such as scarves and collars all make hair tangle easily. Just braid it when you go out. Also try oiling your ends if that works for you (coconut, avocado) or use a coney leave-in. Dimethicone.

Katrine
March 25th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Maybe wearing a loose braid or updo that's comfortable for part of the day when you're more active would help. Or maybe you could use a leave in that has water soluble cones in it to help prevent tangles while protecting your length.

I'm not well versed in which cones are best but I'm sure someone will chime in shortly......

Anje
March 25th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Seems pretty normal to me, if you're wearing it loose.

That said, if you find that it's more tangly than normal for you, it might be worth first clarifying and then taking a look at your products if it's not fixed. I find that proteins and silicones cause tangling problems for me; other people find they need these to maintain their hair at optimum. Sometimes individual tweaking is necessary.

darklyndsea
March 25th, 2014, 03:18 PM
My hair tangles pretty much instantly when it's down, though it's gotten better lately.

The right moisture/protein balance helps a lot, but I wouldn't expect the situation to improve too much as long as you wear it down. I'm betting that you find more tangles than other people partly because you just have more individual hairs to cause problems (if 1 out of a hundred hairs tangled on everybody's head, you'd definitely have more tangles than most other peoples because you must have more hairs to make that much volume).

Gumball
March 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM
My hair is like that. Keeping it up just means when I comb it later then I deal with comparatively fewer problems than if I wore it down, which is pretty much never. :silly: It's never just as pleasantly combed out when I take it down as when I put it up. Dang! Coconut oil is basically my typical "helping hand" in the ordeal, especially when it gets more time consuming than usual.

Kina
March 25th, 2014, 03:53 PM
My hair tangles so much that by the time I finish detangling it by working my way around my head, the starting side is already tangled. I have hair that if only one strand is left to it's devises, that strand will have a fairy knot in it. I think it's just about having fine and/or curly hair.

That having been said, i found that I had some significant success in reducing how tangled it is by using sweet almond oil on my hair. The trick I've found is to keep it up to prevent it from tangling from the lint that the oil attacks. :p

Chamomile betty
March 25th, 2014, 04:00 PM
My hair tangles very easily especially underneath. I use Mane and Tail Leave In spray and it helps keep the tangles at bay. This is one of the reasons I use some cone products - helps me with tangles. You might need to try oiling as well. Experiment and have fun with products.

SleepyTangles
March 25th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I know, not fair at all ;)! I think its more common to get tangles: I too can't let it down without doing it instantly.

This said, most people don't have hip lenght hair... and have no problem ripping a brush or comb through tangles. I think most don't even notice them, whilst I'm extremely paranoid about them.

TheHowlingWolf
March 25th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Honestly, I'm glad I'm not the only one whose hair tangles so easily!!! I can't remember when my hair was COMPLETELY tangle free....there's always a small tangle in there somewhere, even after I JUST finished detangling it. It sucks, and I haven't found a solution to it...so I guess I just have to live with it for now....so sorry I don't have any advice! Just know that you're not the only one out there with tangly hair haha.

spidermom
March 25th, 2014, 06:23 PM
My first thought is buildup. If you haven't used clarifying shampoo in a long time, treat your hair to two washes with it (with the normal number of days between washes). That should set things right again.

And of course long hair tangles when you wear it down. I have found that layers really help my hair a lot.

Remi
March 25th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Yes, this is just what I was thinking!
My first thought is buildup. If you haven't used clarifying shampoo in a long time, treat your hair to two washes with it (with the normal number of days between washes). That should set things right again.

And of course long hair tangles when you wear it down. I have found that layers really help my hair a lot.

Callque
March 25th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I had this same problem. I was about to chop off several inches because I was tired of spending 30 minutes- 1 hour of detangling all of the time. For Christmas a friend gave me Tresemme's Keratin Smooth Collection (shampoo, conditioner, heat protectant spray and smoothing serum). My hair has been completely different since. It is very manageable now. My hair normally doesn't like protein but somehow my hair responds very well to it. Using the whole line takes some of the curl out of my hair (I'm normally a 2b but when I use the whole line I become a 2a) but now I really don't have to worry about detangling. My hair still gets tangled but it is SO EASY to detangle now. I think the product that makes the biggest difference in my tangles is Tresemme's Keratin Infusing Smoothing Serum so if you don't want to lose much of your curls then I recommend trying just that one product. I put one pump of it into my hair while it's still wet and my hair is very easy to detangle until I wash it out again.

GoldenSilk
March 25th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Well, I feel less alone with my tangly hair, at least!

I wish I had a magic bullet, but I don't. Tangles are my biggest problem and I don't have a complete solution. I wear it up most days, but that doesn't fully prevent it. What others have said, to experiment with upping or removing protein and silicones, is very true, or learning some fast buns (nautilus comes to mind, and you don't even have to detangle before you put it up) just for very windy days or when you are active. For me, switching to CO helped, because I didn't get that extra fluffy, flyaway first day like I did with shampoo. Also, getting a Tangle Teezer didn't stop my hair from tangling, but it made the detangling process faster, so I'm spending probably 2/3 the time detangling that I used to.

The biggest help for me was realizing that my house has hard water. I bought a hard water shampoo and I use it every 2 weeks or so, concentrating on my ends. Combining this with trimming a small amount every month or two has done wonders to keep my ends from velcroing together. I hope to start experimenting with citric acid and/or vitamin C rinses soon, so I can chelate a little every wash without the harsher shampoo.

I try to focus on all of the things that I love about my hairtype! Best of luck to you!

Kina
March 25th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Well, I feel less alone with my tangly hair, at least!

I wish I had a magic bullet, but I don't. Tangles are my biggest problem and I don't have a complete solution. I wear it up most days, but that doesn't fully prevent it. What others have said, to experiment with upping or removing protein and silicones, is very true, or learning some fast buns (nautilus comes to mind, and you don't even have to detangle before you put it up) just for very windy days or when you are active. For me, switching to CO helped, because I didn't get that extra fluffy, flyaway first day like I did with shampoo. Also, getting a Tangle Teezer didn't stop my hair from tangling, but it made the detangling process faster, so I'm spending probably 2/3 the time detangling that I used to.

The biggest help for me was realizing that my house has hard water. I bought a hard water shampoo and I use it every 2 weeks or so, concentrating on my ends. Combining this with trimming a small amount every month or two has done wonders to keep my ends from velcroing together. I hope to start experimenting with citric acid and/or vitamin C rinses soon, so I can chelate a little every wash without the harsher shampoo.

I try to focus on all of the things that I love about my hairtype! Best of luck to you!

would you mind posting the product name? I've lost several inches due to the hard water in my house before I figured out what was happening. Please and thank you :)

HoneyDayTripper
March 25th, 2014, 08:45 PM
I have the same problem. I wear my hair up or in a braid 80% of the time. I wear it down for treat days-- like weekends, nights out, etc. If I wear it down to work, by noon it's up again--because I realize the longer it's down the more work I'll have untangling it.

If I really want to wear it down all day, I carry my wood comb and a tiny tin of coconut oil, then oil and untangle it very gently throughout the day. I might do this 3 times during a full day. I'm wondering if part of the problem is that it's mid-back length, and kind of rubs against my chest. I'm hoping when it's longer, it'll settle straight down my back and stay less tangled.

What does seem to help is deep conditioning with a hairmask, then spraying it with something with silicones. Frequent, tiny trims, to keep split ends away, also helps. It's always much more manageable after a trim.

Kind of makes me wonder though, what's the point of all this growing if I can't wear it down the way I like?

GoldenSilk
March 25th, 2014, 10:48 PM
would you mind posting the product name? I've lost several inches due to the hard water in my house before I figured out what was happening. Please and thank you :)

It's called Ion Purifying Solutions Hard Water Shampoo. It was the only shampoo I could find at my local Sally's that mentioned hard water... I'm sure there's something better out there, but my first bottle is lasting forever, and it works fine.

Sorry to hear you had the same problem. :( Hope this helps!

Weewah
March 26th, 2014, 03:59 AM
My hair's tangly too from heat/bleach damage. What helped me the most is switching to co-washing. I had to clarify today and I didn't do a moisturizing treatment after because lazy, my hair was more tangly than usual.

Making sure your hair's moisturized with a good moisturizing conditioner, and using a leave-in with slip helps too.

nakima
March 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I have this problem as well and I also love wearing my hair down so recently I started braiding while at home, that keeps me from haveing to detangle or even for that matter brush as often. If you dont like braid waves just wet it down a little and be on your way. Hope this helped :)

jacqueline101
March 26th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Seems pretty normal to me, if you're wearing it loose.

That said, if you find that it's more tangly than normal for you, it might be worth first clarifying and then taking a look at your products if it's not fixed. I find that proteins and silicones cause tangling problems for me; other people find they need these to maintain their hair at optimum. Sometimes individual tweaking is necessary.

Not to hog the thread but I'm having tangles in the ends when I wore a pony tail. I started using a protein shampoo and conditioner set. I use a cone spray weekly. I use it in modesty one spritz. I've used non protein shampoo with a monthly protein treatment and was fine. My point being is there a difference in protein.

Kina
March 26th, 2014, 06:39 PM
It's called Ion Purifying Solutions Hard Water Shampoo. It was the only shampoo I could find at my local Sally's that mentioned hard water... I'm sure there's something better out there, but my first bottle is lasting forever, and it works fine.

Sorry to hear you had the same problem. :( Hope this helps!

Thanks very much, I'll try it out and report back