PDA

View Full Version : Exercise/Working Out and Hair Washing

goodluckcharm
January 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
A frequent topic that comes up here is how to wash your hair, and how often, if you work out. Is it OK to have sweat in hair? All that stuff.

So here's some collective wisdom on the topic.

~Anje

Hey Everybody-

I'm having trouble with what to do with my sweaty hair after exercising. I'm trying to go as long as possible without washing my hair. I color my hair red and the red fades extremely quickly, so I am trying to avoid washing it to keep the color longer. Also, because of the texture of my hair, and because it is relatively short, I need to style it after I get it wet, or it won't lay well. The best way for me to do this is with a hairdyer (gasp! I know!), so I try to avoid getting my hair wet as much as possible.

I hate not washing my hair after exercise because sweaty hair just seems gross, but lately I've been using this as an excuse not to exercise (not good, I know).

So, I'd appreciate advice/suggestions.

I apologize in advance if the answer is really obvious or has been discussed before. I'm new, and am still getting my footing here.
Thanks!

Schmoomunitions
January 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I wanna know also!!!!! It IS my excuse for not exercising!!!!

Girltron
January 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
When I walk, it's not too bad. Mostly it's sweat, which evaporates and it's nothing. If I go running or do something really drippy I make that one of my wash days. So I guess I'm limited to two really strenuous workouts each week, but a daily walk doesn't require me to wash.

Your hair is short enough that it's going to be more obvious, alas. Maybe try waiting until your sweat dries, and using an airing powder, then brushing thoroughly.

There's always a slicked-back updo on workout days.

goodluckcharm
January 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm guess I might just be stuck with lots of updos until I reach APL. Around that length my waves are weighed down enough that I don't need to style it much at all (a little extra leave in conditioner does the trick).

I have recently switched shampoo/conditioner to JASON henna highlights (SLS free) and am going to try CO for the first time. Maybe CO for curly hair will help me at least not need to style as often.

I'm learning so much on these boards, I'm already so grateful for the forum!

jera
January 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I'd ike to hear a viable answer to this question too. I work out daily even if it's only for half an hour, but it's a hard, sweaty workout and I have to wash my hair afterwards. :(

You've got gorgeous red color in your hair BTW. :p

goodluckcharm
January 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks! I know it would be better for my hair if I stopped coloring it, but I love the color so much I just can't help it!

helen2806
January 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I find that if I scrape my hair back into a bun/pony then wear a stretchy headband around my hairline it kind of absorbs sweat (a bit gross but it works!), and it keeps it lying as flat as possible

Hope that helps!

cocolover
January 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I just do a CO wash. If I get sweaty, I want to get in the shower! I just don't feel clean otherwise. The other thing I have done is put the conditioner on my hair, then go exercise. Post exercise, I get it wet a tiny bit, scrub my scalp and then rinse out. At least my hair is getting a deep conditioning treatment :)

Dolly
January 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I color mine red also....the redder the better! And, since I work out daily, I face the same issues. However, my hair is very straight naturally, so getting it wet and airdrying it is not a problem. I do a scalp-only wash every day (I do let the suds run down the length, but no actual "washing" of the length), and then I wash the length throughly about once a week.

The best things I have found to retain my color.....(1) water that touches my head is never more tha lukewarm....the cooler the better. (2) Vinegar rinses....they really DO seem to lock the color in better.

shwankie
January 13th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I also workout hard daily. Sweat drips from my head, literally, and there's just no other answer than washing it. It smells, it's sticky, and I have thin hair, so it looks *awful* and gross.

goodluckcharm
January 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I color mine red also....the redder the better! And, since I work out daily, I face the same issues. However, my hair is very straight naturally, so getting it wet and airdrying it is not a problem. I do a scalp-only wash every day (I do let the suds run down the length, but no actual "washing" of the length), and then I wash the length throughly about once a week.

The best things I have found to retain my color.....(1) water that touches my head is never more tha lukewarm....the cooler the better. (2) Vinegar rinses....they really DO seem to lock the color in better.
Good to know about the vinegar rinses! I was afraid of them, and of oils, because I didn't know how my color would react.

Magdalene
January 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm a blondie, and exercise 6 days a week, which means I wash almost every day

spidermom
January 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I put my hair into a high ponytail and have been known to hit the hair closest to the scalp with a blow dryer to dry it a bit after exercising. Sometimes I cover the ponytail with a plastic bag and rinse the scalp area with water first. Sweat doesn't harm hair, but it does make my head smell sour, which I don't like.

Darkhorse1
January 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I don't always wash after exercising. It really depends on the level of sweaty I get because I have to wear a helmet when I ride. I tend to just go with what my hair tells me. I have very oily scalp, so I have to wash every other day.

There are shampoos that prevent fading of color--perhaps you can look into those? I get demi-permanent color for gray coverage, and I've found that certain shampoos work well at not stripping the hair--and I have to use a clarifying shampoo for the dirt in my hair, and I've found Herbal Essence and Pantene's clarifying shampoo great. Again, everyone is different though.

I know some people have used dry shampoo. I've never done that, but know that baby powder can work in absorbing oil, so I'm sure it can absorb sweat. Also, wearing a sweat band can absorb sweat and prevent it getting into your bangs/hair. Unless you're like me and sweat until you drip. Then, it's shower time for me :D

Darkhorse1
January 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I also just wash my scalp every other day, not the length. :D

MandaMom2Three
January 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks! I know it would be better for my hair if I stopped coloring it, but I love the color so much I just can't help it!

Have you considered henna? You can get red that you wont have to worry about washing out AND it's actually GOOD for your hair! I used to colour my hair red but now that I've found henna, it's prettier AND healthier :D

goodluckcharm
January 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I have just recently begun reading about henna on the forum and I'm very interested. I'm still not completely sold on it (just me being cautious) and I'll definitely keep reading. My concerns are with how much control you have over the outcome. I've tried coloring myself before with horrible outcomes. I'm naturally blonde and have definitely had orange hair before. But I'm definitely going to keep henna in mind!!!

Thank you so much for all your help!

Sissy
January 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Hey Everybody-

I'm having trouble with what to do with my sweaty hair after exercising. I'm trying to go as long as possible without washing my hair. I color my hair red and the red fades extremely quickly, so I am trying to avoid washing it to keep the color longer. Also, because of the texture of my hair, and because it is relatively short, I need to style it after I get it wet, or it won't lay well. The best way for me to do this is with a hairdyer (gasp! I know!), so I try to avoid getting my hair wet as much as possible.

I hate not washing my hair after exercise because sweaty hair just seems gross, but lately I've been using this as an excuse not to exercise (not good, I know).

So, I'd appreciate advice/suggestions.

I apologize in advance if the answer is really obvious or has been discussed before. I'm new, and am still getting my footing here.
Thanks!

Well, I need to start exercising as been slacking off a LONG time now. To me, hair is not going to get in the way... I already have enough other excuses. I will exercise then CO wash my hair. Perhaps using a color friendly conditioner or in shower glaze conditioner? Following up with a crown wrap or magnetic rollers or some other way of styling without heat if possible?

serabelle
January 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I wash my hair every 2-3 days. I try to work out 3 times a week, but it doesn't always happen! Hehe.

When I do work out, I do pilates and yoga routines.. so my hair doesn't get soaked most of the time. When it does, I just bite the bullet and wash.

I do think one thing that helps is putting your hair into a high, loose pony tail, and allow air to reach the roots. That helps my head keep cool and hopefully a little drier.

I'm yet another henna head! For your shade, if you ever decide to go that direction, you might consider doing a combination of cassia and henna. :)

vampodrama
January 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I'm a gross disgusting person, but I don't wash my hair after workouts. and my head sweats quite a lot. I just take my hair down from the braid/pony/whatever and fluff it up to air the scalp and that's it. :D

I have discovered it does not make my hair greasy any more quickly than not working out. ok, granted, I don't drip with sweat so maybe it is indeed that I simply don't sweat enough...

physicschick
January 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I'm a gross disgusting person, but I don't wash my hair after workouts. and my head sweats quite a lot. I just take my hair down from the braid/pony/whatever and fluff it up to air the scalp and that's it. :D

I have discovered it does not make my hair greasy any more quickly than not working out. ok, granted, I don't drip with sweat so maybe it is indeed that I simply don't sweat enough...

Not gross and disgusting at all! Sweat really don't smell much. Once it dries, you can't tell whether I've been drenched in sweat or not.

(Bacteria can smell, so maybe if your scalp flora is different from mine, you might get a smell, but I suspect most people don't have nearly the problems they're worried about having. :) )

Payal80
January 14th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I use cotton towel to absorb the sweat as much as possible, after I am done with the exercise if the sweat is irritating you, there is no other option then getting it washed

monica sanders
September 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM
i live in san diego ca. it has been hot! in the 100's. i ussally do CWC wash. my hair feels dry a little. so i thought i would switch and do co washing to see if if make my hair feel better. i exercise mildly since it's hot. i wear my hair up. if it get a little sweaty it is up so you can't see it. do any of you co wash and exercise?

Arashi
September 1st, 2009, 03:26 AM
A couple hours ago I hopped in the shower after an intense workout and did a CO wash.. my hair feels nice, soft, and clean right now. :)

GlassEyes
September 1st, 2009, 06:56 AM
I wouldn't say INTENSE, but I did run for a while (did. Ugh. Need to start again) and CO is fine for it. Sweat can just be rinsed off anyway, but CO takes care of any grossness.

Miss Pumpkin
September 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM
I really need to investigate this CO thing, can someone provide any links to illustrate this newbie? :oops:

Rivanariko
September 1st, 2009, 08:32 AM
I live in South Carolina and work outside everyday training horses. I feel pretty gross by the end of the day, and sweat is only the beginnings of it. I alternate between CO and WO throughout the week, doing one CWC usually on Saturday, and my hair feels clean, soft and happy. I make sure that my CO or WO washes are very thorough, though. I make sure I (gently) scrub my scalp for a few minutes, letting the water run through it, but I haven't had any problems with my hair feeling "icky" afterward.

Rivanariko
September 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM
Miss Pumpkin - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898 <--- the official CO thread, I'm sure you'll find some good advice there. Also, check out the articles, there might be one under haircare on CO, but I'm not sure.

spidermom
September 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM
In general, my hair doesn't respond well to CO, but I alternate CWC with CO with water rinsing. I tried CO exclusively awhile back, but every time I do it, my hair becomes more coated, limp, and dull.

Aeon F.
September 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Miss Pumpkin - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898 <--- the official CO thread, I'm sure you'll find some good advice there. Also, check out the articles, there might be one under haircare on CO, but I'm not sure.

Miss pumpkin, here are the articles on CO ("conditioner only") washes:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18

and

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=70

I pretty much exclusively CO- my hair loves :inlove: it! :D Just make sure to use conditioners that don't have any sillicones in it- the idea is to clean the hair, not coat it with 'cones. HTH!

Sorry for the minor sidetracking of the thread!

for the OP- I don't do a lot of strenous excerising, I walk to work- so I pretty much get all the excerising I need from that. And the COs are just fine with it. Though, if I decided to go jogging or play some kind of sport where I got really sweaty, I think the CO would still do fine cleaning.

Miss Pumpkin
September 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Thank you so much girls! I think I might do it and see how my hair reacts to it, I have pretty dry hair (I can go like 8 days without washing it and it's clean, except my bangs which being against my forehead and being quite think get greasy faster) so maybe it'll be good for me! :D

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM
I found CO washing to work well but I had to clarify once in awhile or I would get build up, but other than that, it worked well for me :)

monica sanders
September 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
how long have any of you gone in between exercise and a CO wash? i'm trying for evey other day.

spidermom
September 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM
how long have any of you gone in between exercise and a CO wash? i'm trying for evey other day.

Every day that I exercise (which is almost every day), I do something to freshen my hair - either CWC or CO or water rinse. Every once in awhile I'll be really busy and let the sweat dry in my hair. Once is all right, but if I do it more than once, my scalp smells like the bottom of a dirty laundry hamper. I can't CO more than once, either. Twice in a row and my hair becomes limp and dull. It doesn't matter what conditioner I use; I've tried several.

Rivanariko
September 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Like Spidermom said, I need to do something to cleanse my hair after I get home, but I'm probably getting quite a bit sweatier/dirtier than what you're talking about. If all I'm doing is running, I can go a day or two between "washes", but trying to keep my hair from getting wet in the shower is too much of a pain for me, so I'll usually just do a water rinse, which takes care of any sweat that might be lingering in my hair or on my scalp.

However, even when I'm working at the barn, coming home completely and utterly disgusting at the end of the day, I'll usually go a day or two between CO, and I'll use WO on the other days and it seems to work fine for me. I also CO with cones, I just have to make sure to clarify regularly. My hair is pretty happy with it, but everyone's hair reacts differently.

Elphie
September 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
I exercise every day anc CO most days. If I don't have anywhere to be the following day, I might skip a day and I usually CWC once a week. My hair is responding very well to it, it's clean and it's not limp or dry.

liseling
September 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm in Pasadena CA, so I've also been quite sweaty these days. I ONLY CO and it's always done the job for me, even though I leave a lot of conditioner in my hair after my shower (but then again I'm a curly and my hair just soaks it right up). I usually CO every day just because I like the way my hair looks better after it's been 'refreshed'. But on days that I've skipped because I wasnt going anywhere my hair and scalp still felt fairly clean and smelled nice, but I probably wouldnt wait a second day before wanting to CO again.

Anje
September 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM
I don't think there's any issue with exercise and CO. Heck, you can rinse out sweat with just water, so exercise and Water Only aren't incompatible either. I just need to exercise more, though. :-P

monica sanders
September 1st, 2009, 11:28 PM
Every day that I exercise (which is almost every day), I do something to freshen my hair - either CWC or CO or water rinse. Every once in awhile I'll be really busy and let the sweat dry in my hair. Once is all right, but if I do it more than once, my scalp smells like the bottom of a dirty laundry hamper. I can't CO more than once, either. Twice in a row and my hair becomes limp and dull. It doesn't matter what conditioner I use; I've tried several.

right now i'm not really worried about if my hair gets limp. when it drys i put my hair up in a bun. it's really to hot to really care about what my ''hairdo'' looks like. it makes me a little mad w/the heat because i have some new hair toys i want to try. me and heat don't mix. :mad:

chopandchange
March 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I currently do cardio every 2-3 days, and would really like to do it more often - perhaps daily. The main reason I don't do it more frequently is because of having to wash my hair afterwards.

My reluctance to wash my hair daily is not because I have the mentality of "washing my hair too often is bad for it," but rather because it's just too much hassle washing daily. After a workout, I want to be able to just jump in the shower quickly and jump back out. Not faffing around washing my hair. Another reason is, my hair takes so long to dry that, were I to wash it daily, I imagine I would live with permanently damp hair. I do blow-dry my roots if I wash before bed so I don't have a cold head for sleeping, but don't want to blow-dry the length.

What about the other people on here who exercise daily? How do you manage? Do you just live with the sweaty head?

I think it must be just psychological that my head feels "dirty" when it's sweaty. It is not, after all, sebum - it's just sweat. So if I left it another day, it should just dry up on its own. Theoretically the water in the sweat should evaporate, leaving behind a bit of salt. But it never seems to. It always seems to leave me with greasy roots, and I always have a concern that it would be smelly. Or is it only the sweat that comes from our underarms that is smelly? Does scalp sweat have a smell? :confused:

So many questions to ponder.

I am going to exercise today, and my hair is due for a wash anyway, so I will wash it today - but tomorrow I may try doing just a "body wash" and see how I get on.

Does anyone have any comments?

I suppose I could try doing the "scalp wash." I don't think I've ever tried that yet. I'm not convinced my hair would be long enough.

GoddesJourney
March 12th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Your hair is definately long enough for a scalp wash. I was going to suggest that you just put it up in the shower and then before you get out, hold your hair up in a loose bun (loose meaning away from your scalp) and just rinse your scalp with high water pressure. You can just wet the important part and you won't get it all tangled.

saskia_madding
March 12th, 2010, 09:54 AM
When I exercised every day and had hip length hair, I just lived with it wet. It sucked! I worked out in the mornings and put it up until I got to work. Took it down to let it dry a bit, put it back up when I went to class, then back down when I got back to work. I put it back up when I started on my way home and left it down when I got home to finish air drying overnight.

Only to repeat the same stupid process the next day. I really hated it, but never found another solution.

One thing I did do is that I didn't wash my hair after every workout, just rinsed it. I found that really cut back on how much hair I shed, how dry my hair got, and how much time I spent in the shower after work outs. And I still felt both physically and psychologically clean after a good, cool water rinsing.

spidermom
March 12th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I find that I can let the sweat dry in my hair once, but if I do it twice my head smells sour. It's not pleasant. So sometimes I wash it, sometimes I rinse and condition it, and sometimes I hold the length out of the way in a braid and only rinse the scalp.

Crazycatlady
March 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I exercise 4-5 times weekly and I don't shampoo or condition after each time. If it's not time for a wash, I just let the sweat dry and get a bath or shower (with shower cap) to clean my body. I've wondered if leaving the sweat on my hair is bad for it, but then again, it's usually dry by the time I get home and it's probably done any damage it's going to do by then anyway. My scalp is fine though...no gunky build up or anything, so I guess it's fine.

I do spray on styling products to freshen it up if I'm going to be out and about. Like Spidermomsaid, I can go one workout and skip the wash, but the next day I usually CO.

chopandchange
March 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replies.

People who rinse and hold the hair out of the way - do you have to do it head down in order for this to work? I have blood pressure issues and can't be holding my head upside-down.

Alcenaia
March 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I've been exercising nearly every day and scalp washing. It works wonderfully.

I have one of those wire shower baskets that suctions to the wall. I braid the length of my hair and clip the braid to the wire basket. I suctioned the basket kind of high on the wall, so my braid stays out of the water spray but I can do everything else as usual. Silly, but no one is watching and it works. :)

If I'm not showering in my own shower, I don't hold my head upside down. I just hold the braid up and to the left (I'm right-handed).

Good luck! :)

clichepithet
March 12th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies.

People who rinse and hold the hair out of the way - do you have to do it head down in order for this to work? I have blood pressure issues and can't be holding my head upside-down.

Try combing your hair out and braiding it up and out from the very top back of your head. I do this upside-down, but perhaps you can accomplish it by laying down? That way you can hold your hair up and back without having to hang upside-down (to scalp wash).

Dientje
March 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
That's what I do, just braid it as high as possible on my head, very loosely, and pin it up while showering. After the body wash, I take the braid down, hold it as far away from my head as possible, and then rinse the scalp. I don't really use shampoo to wash, as sweat is water-soluble and I find it enough to just rinse the sweat out.

For me, after a scalp rinse, it only takes an hour to dry, while after a full wash it can take up to three hours.

Magdalene
March 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Since I"m blonde I pretty much have to wash it or it looks like I have nasty roots. if I really am pressed for time, sometimes I dab the roots with witch hazel. (which is probably not good for the hair either but it looks better)

catysue
March 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I work out daily and when I don't have time to wash my hair after a workout, I blast the roots with the blowdryer on the cold setting, and then use a little bit of dry shampoo. I like to wash my hair after a workout, though, and because I CO wash my hair I usually do.

chopandchange
March 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Well, I am back from today's workout, and feeling all revved up and hyper and happy. :cheese: See, this is why I want to do it every day!

I did a normal wash today, since it was due, but will try a scalp rinse tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice. :)

Stevy
March 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have to admit, I don't wash every time I exercise. If I put it in a tight gibraltar bun on top of my head, it doesn't seem to get too sweaty, even after thirty minutes of cardio.

Chamomile betty
March 12th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Sometimes I'll just rinse my hair and other times I'll need that CW.
With Spring around the corner I usually go outside and work up a sweat often. I have found the CW really haven't caused much damage.

What I do like to do is use my workouts as a time to deep condition.

You might just need to find what works for you by experimenting.

hth

chopandchange
March 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM
What I do like to do is use my workouts as a time to deep condition.

hth

I usually do that. I pile on the conditioner and then braid or bun for my workout. But it would just be so annoying to have to wet my hair every day. it's not a damage issue. It's just A. too much hassle, and B. taking too long to dry so daily washing would mean permanently damp hair. Hopefully the scalp wash will work. :)

chopandchange
March 13th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I did a scalp rinse by doing a high ponytail, covering it a plastic bag, and holding it up in the air while I showered my head. It worked OK. It seemed like a lot of hassle though, and my hair has now gone frizzy and looks like I got caught in the rain. I suppose this is because normally when washing my hair I use conditioner and serum on it.

I'm not sure if next time I wouldn't prefer to just either A. leave the sweat and not rinse, or B. rinse my whole hair, but it was an interesting experience. I may do it again. :)

-simply Venus-
February 26th, 2011, 09:26 PM
This summer I plan to jog and workout every day, and I'm wondering how often I should wash my hair? I only wash mine like once a month, and condition every day, because my hair is SUPER dry. If I'm sweating everyday, will water be enough to cleans it?

Nae
February 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
You can just use conditioner, many of our member who was daily do so with only conditioner and seem to have good luck with that.

-simply Venus-
February 26th, 2011, 10:40 PM
And it's enough to clean of sweat?

RadiantNeedle
February 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Absolutely! If it can get rid of oils it sure as heck can wash off sweat!

Kaeita
February 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I find that sweat can be self-cleansing, if rinsing with water straight after a workout. I used to go to the gym every day, before a medical condition required absolute rest (I'm hoping to get back to it soon), and a shower afterwards was enough to clean skin and hair. Sounds gross, but I really am fussy when it comes to cleanliness, so if it hadn't worked, I would have been using soap and shampoo every time. There was just no need for it.

Eire
February 26th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I work out every day and shampoo every day. I find that liberal amounts of coconut oil and conditioner keep my hair from drying out. I tried CO for a while and it just made my hair limp and never quite got the greasies out. But to each thier own!

krissykins
February 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I find that sweat can be self-cleansing, if rinsing with water straight after a workout. I used to go to the gym every day, before a medical condition required absolute rest (I'm hoping to get back to it soon), and a shower afterwards was enough to clean skin and hair. Sounds gross, but I really am fussy when it comes to cleanliness, so if it hadn't worked, I would have been using soap and shampoo every time. There was just no need for it.

This.

I just massage the oil out with water. It's a good way to stretch washes as well.

long&blonde
February 26th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Fine hair; decades of home hair dye abuse; and huge huge "sweater": when I work out my waist length ponytail can be wrung out at the end; have found I do need to wash with shampoo after a workout. Conditioner only wouldn't do it for me either. But the deep conditioner/on over night prior to a morning wash;works for me. Experiment: to each their own is best advice I think!

LovelyL
February 27th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Sweat per se doesn't really smell, instead it's the bacteria that live naturally on our skin that enjoy the warm damp environment and essentially have a feast and throw out all that stinky stuff. So I'd say that as long as you dry off properly after getting sweaty you don't need to shower to get "clean". At least, not every day.

trillian
February 27th, 2011, 07:57 PM
My advice is to listen to your hair. Well, not really listen, cause if your hair starts talking to you, then, well, I'd worry. But work out, and see how your scalp feels. If your hair looks / feels / smells clean, I'd say don't wash it. If your scalp itches, or feels greasy, it might be time to hit to shampoo bottle.

I wash my hair about twice a week, and workout 5 days. I make do between time with some water only washes, and a spritz or three of dry shampoo when I feel like I need it. It works for me, but like I said, listen to your hair!

MandyBeth
February 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I do MMA workouts daily. I wash with conditioner after, Pantene color care recently. Works fine for sweat. When I get blood in my hair, I use shampoo then.

Lianna
February 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I sweat everyday on my head just because of the weather, so I wash everyday. Just water might clean the sweat, but will it clean all the bacteria/fungus that grew in your head? It might, it might not, it didn't for me. Actually not even CO worked for me, so much that slowed my growth, but I'm not saying I had a disease or anything, just that my growth wasn't optimal because I wasn't killing enough bacteria/fungus that inibits growth. I CO'ed for months before figured it out.

Pear Martini
February 27th, 2011, 09:40 PM
You can shampoo and condition every other day if you are jogging every day. I live in the tropics and when I jog, I sometimes don't have time to wash my hair after. So I 'll just wash my body, but by the next day my hair def needs a washing.

MiamiPineapple
April 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone. I am new here and I have already received some amazing advice. In just one week, my hair has started to imporve from some of the tips on LHC.

I have a question for people that CO wash. This is a new concept for me. My hair has bad chemical damage and I really need to retain as must moisture as possible. I have been CO washing for 4 days and my hair seems to be improving.

I am wiondering if is it bad to CO wash your hair everyday. I work in sales managing accounts so I spend alot of the day in and out of the car running around. I also workout very hard 6 days a week and I am a trainer part-time. With that being said, I tend to sweat alot and I have VERY oily skin. The CO washing seems to clean my hair without stripping it. Any advice on this?:confused:

I have also been using alot of Castor and Macademian oils which I like to rinse out after doing an overnight treatment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

gthlvrmx
April 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM
well since i stopped washing so frequently, it eventually in a few weeks stopped being so greasy. It took around 3 weeks to a month for me. I exercise almost daily and i am a big time sweater, so i try to hold hair washes down to once a week but i do body washes. If i really feel i did sweat a lot (and i dont want any build up), i just use water to rinse my hair out. I think maybe too much conditioner can make it feel greasier? That's what happened to me. So trying to space those CO washes out could help.
And maybe just slapping that conditioner just on the ends to keep it nice and moisturized, and every other day do a full head.

krissykins
April 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
It shouldn't be bad for your hair unless there's something drying in your conditioner.

Can you do WO on in between days of washing?

gattina
April 11th, 2011, 10:28 PM
i've been trying cowashing as well for the past three weeks, my ends do stay really moisturized. if it gets really greasy, i try to leave it in a bun, put a headwrap elastic on the front part of my hair and it disguises it. if it gets beyond greasy i do a quick wo wash. this has been helping me. i have fine hair.

Siiri
April 12th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I don't think it will harm your hair if you CO-wash it every day, but you could try CO-washing it for a while every other day and rinsing it in between, to see how it goes? It may depend on the water you have whether it works, I've heard that if you have hard water, WO isn't very good for your hair.

I work out a lot too, but I only CO-wash every third day. I rinse my hair with water on days I don't CO-wash. It seems to remove sweat and some of the oil. I have normally put a leave-in conditioner after every wash, after WO-wash too, but I just bought a new one, which is heavier and seems to wash away well with CO-wash but not with a WO-wash. So I now just apply it after CO, and my hair doesn't look greasy anymore.

Firefox7275
April 12th, 2011, 05:06 AM
From my experience it's as much about how you treat your hair when it is wet - be that from sweat or washing. I've badly damaged my hair by tying it back wet, ripping no snag elastics out, brushing and hairspraying damp. :( If you don't already have them you might try a microfibre turban and sweat towel, silk scarf or microfibre sweat band, wide tooth comb, terry bands.

Izae
April 12th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I've just started trying to do CO every other day, and WO on the day in between each wash.
I do workout every day, so my hair does get really greasy quickly, so I have to use the boar bristle brush a lot on the WO days.
I'll have to try putting conditioner just on the ends as well now, I didn't think to try that before.

GRU
April 12th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I've been CO-washing virtually every day* for a year and a half, and my hair's in the best shape it's been in for four decades!

*minimum five days a week

alwayssmiling
April 12th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I CO wash everyday (occassional sulphate free shampoo when I feel I need it), my hair has been transformed by this method. I joined here Nov 09 and its one of the few things I have kept and would not like to give up. I don't work out but I do garden a lot which is just as sweaty and CO wash cleans everything just fine. Sounds like you've got it working for you stick with it.

Sabriel
May 25th, 2011, 06:33 PM
So one of the big things I want to do is really cut down on how much I wash my hair. I used to wash it everyday because I really didn't know anything about proper haircare. :rolleyes: I now love the idea of washing it less because it saves me time and money as well as being good for my hair. :)

BUT I excersize a lot which causes my head to sweat. Which makes me feel like I need to wash my hair. :(

Does anyone else have this problem/have any ideas? I have read a bit about scalp washes on here but A) I don't have a movable showerhead and B) The term "split ends" isn't that accurate for me - I get damage everywhere - from roots to tip. After joining LHC it's definitely decreased ;) but the point is I'm fairly prone to damage so I'm not sure that washing my scalp/roots all the time is even a great idea.

I realize that this is something that I'll probly just have to live with/work around, but I figured it was worth seeing if any of you have come up a solution that I would never think of.

ellen732
May 25th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I work out and CO. Once in a great while I will shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo. I use V-05 clarifying conditioner for my CO and it absolutely gets my scalp and hair feeling clean.

GeoJ
May 25th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I use WO and once a week CO on my DD. This works well to get rid of sweat and dirt for her.

I exercise a lot, but I have scalp trouble, so I have to use shampoo.

spidermom
May 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM
You can secure the length into a plastic bag and rinse the scalp with water, holding the bagged hair up so that the water does run down into the bag; that's what I do about half the time.

What do you mean when you say you get damage from roots to tips? Are you talking about having lots of shorter hairs sticking out? If so, that is not damage. That is natural. We've all got that.

Sabriel
May 25th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Nope, I mean I have damage from roots to tip. I frequently get damage that starts waaay up on a strand of hair. I often find hairs that have a split in the middle but it reconnects and the rest of the stand looks just fine. I also find strands that have a piece jutting out so that it looks like a "split end" but one of the ends is super long and healthy looking below the split. I don't think the ends of my hair have ever had more damage than the rest of my hair lol :rolleyes:

Kaelee
May 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I don't believe that washing every day is bad for your hair. I've shampooed every day for years. I also DON'T use conditioner (except a deep conditioner (aussie 3mm) once a week. Shampoo only.

I do apply coconut oil to my ends and through my length AFTER my shower. It stays in until I wash my hair the next day. :)

My hair is in great shape...I've been doing the shampoo than oil thing for years and my stylist today could not believe how great my hair was- even though I wear a pony tail almost 24/7...

Sabriel
May 25th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I think that my hair is more prone to damage than most people. Before I decided to learn how to take care of my hair, I was already avoiding most major causes of damage - I literally never blow dried, dyed, teased, etc. But I still had split ends so bad my hair stopped growing. I think the damage came from using a bad brush and an SLS shampoo every day. Since I now refuse to use an SLS shampoo (unless I need to clarify), it wouldn't be nearly as damaging, but I'd still like to cut down as much as possible.

I'll probably have to try to schedule going to the gym and washing my hair for the same day when possible lol. And I may give scalp rinses a shot.

Thanks for all the input everyone :)

Qadupae
May 26th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I work out between hard, hard enough that I'm usually dripping with sweat, but I still only shampoo about once every 4 days. On my workout days, I make sure I have plenty of cool down time in between what I am doing next, like at least 1-2 hours. I make sure to wash my face off so the sweat doesn't clog pores, but otherwise I just brush my hair with a BB brush and put it into a ponytail. For my bangs, I just make sure to put my cocoa powder/baking soda/cornstarch mix in and brush it out to keep it from looking too greasy. Its worked so far ^_^ I have pretty oily skin and hair too.

Othala
May 26th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I have to shampoo my hair....with shampoo....after a work-out. There is no way round it IMO if you want to be clean and fresh.

Just make sure you use a mild shampoo, well-diluted and that you condition obsessively afterwards. Also make sure your shampooing method is not causing damage i.e. de-tangle your hair before you wet it and wash it in sections.

Using a pre-poo conditioner or oil or doing CWC could also make a huge difference to your hair.

JuliaDancer
May 26th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I work out between hard, hard enough that I'm usually dripping with sweat, but I still only shampoo about once every 4 days. On my workout days, I make sure I have plenty of cool down time in between what I am doing next, like at least 1-2 hours. I make sure to wash my face off so the sweat doesn't clog pores, but otherwise I just brush my hair with a BB brush and put it into a ponytail. For my bangs, I just make sure to put my cocoa powder/baking soda/cornstarch mix in and brush it out to keep it from looking too greasy. Its worked so far ^_^ I have pretty oily skin and hair too.

I was my hair every 2 to 3 days, and I do the same. I sweat too, but I find that most of the sweat is not actually in my hair, but where my hair begins, around my face and the back of my neck. When I shower, I use a plastic bag bobby pinned like a shower cap, except slightly back, so the edges of my hair are just out. I find that the soap I use to wash my face and neck washes those areas just enough, and once it dries, my hair looks fine.

CrisDee
May 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I second the CO suggestion. I CO my hair each work day, because I put my hair up in a wet cinnabun for work to help keep me cool. I oil my ends beforehand, and I don't have problems with damage.

Kaelee
May 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Crisdee how do you pull off a cinnabun with hair that short? Mine is only slightly longer with a similar cut and I thought I just could not ever bun it until it grows longer.

PeaceLoveHair
August 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I just started (this week) washing my scalp only on with a gentle organic, sulphate free shampoo on workout days, but the water still travels down and some of my length gets wet. I guess I still need to work on my scalp washing method! I do think this is the solution for me, as my scalp gets pretty sweaty with all the cardio i do. I wish I could figure out a way to not any of the length wet....

Lianna
August 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Washing less isn't always the best choice.

A member here has knee length hair and co-washes everyday. That's all I'm gonna say.

kidari
August 26th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Some peoples' hair can handle washing daily and still be healthy. I would say try CO washing or alternating regular washes with CO washes or CWC. On off days when you have more time you could try oiling the ends before washing or soaking in coconut milk before washing. Or simply use SLS-free/gentler shampoos or diluted shampoo or scalp washing only. Honestly if I work out earlier in the day, I wear my hair up in a messy bun or something and the sweat on my scalp will dry pretty fast as long as I keep it up. If the front bits look greasy or something I may use some dry shampoo but it's never really been a problem. I could work out with my hair up and then go about my entire day just fine not needing to wash until night time.

maria_asa
August 26th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I work out pretty much every day and if I didn't wash my hair after I would look like a complete grease ball all of the time. What I do is gently oiling my scalp, and the hair closest to my scalp with eo infused coconut oil before every work out. Afterwards I scalp wash using either CV bars or CO. I haven't noticed any damage from this and the oiling has actually helped reduce my shedding. Let me know if you want a more thorough description of how I scalp wash. I've been doing it for years and never have any trouble with my lengths getting wet.

FireKat
August 26th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Glad I found this thread! I had exactly the same question. I know my hair doesn't react well to daily shampoos, and I've started CO-ing, but didn't know if it was a good idea to do it daily. When I just use WO it gets all crunchy (I have really hard water) and greasy at the roots. Same if I just let it dry. Now I know... I'll give CO-ing on workout days a try. Thanks!

Audrey Horne
August 27th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I work out and sweat a lot too. I find CO to be useful for that and a mild diluted shampoo. Most of the time I can't get away with a simple rinse.

UltraBella
August 27th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I just started going to Zumba 4 times a week and am trying to figure out what works for my hair and scalp. I get SWEATY. Super super SWEATY. The other day the class was so intense, I was dripping with sweat and unwilling to get in my vehicle to drive home like that. I showered there and because I didn't have my shower stuff with me, I just rinsed my hair with water only to get the sweat off my scalp. It worked better than I expected. I am going to try CO and see what I think about that.

Deborah
August 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I exercise HARD at least five times a week, first thing in the morning, and sweat profusely. After the workout I just wipe the sweat dripping off of my face, then sit at the computer for a while to cool down. Then I wash and dress as usual, NOT washing my hair. I CO wash just once a week, and my hair stays nice all week. Sweat does not cause any extra oil as far as I can tell.

Kelikea
January 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I have a question to those of you who stretch washes. I have been trying to stretch washes, and got to washing only 2x a week, instead of every other day. However, when I get in a good workout, I feel the need to wash my hair. If I work out at least 3x a week, this means washing 3x. More workouts=more washing. I can try WO for one or two of these washes, but I still feel the need for at least one shampoo a week. How does everyone else balance the workout vs. washing routine?

I used to run Mon-Thurs and wash every morning. Now I'm doing treadmill Mon/Tues/Thurs for 30 mins (or more) and work up a good sweat! Sometimes I also add in a yoga or pilates routine on an off day. I'm hoping the increased exercise will help my hair grow faster, but don't want to further damage it by washing too much. And I also don't like always sleeping on wet hair or leaving the house with wet hair.

What is the main reason for you to stretch washes, besides from a cost of product perspective?

shikara
January 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I was trying to stretch washes because i had heard here that it was better for the strength and care of hair. That may be true, but it is also probably true that our environments, type of hair (and lets not forget our happiness factor!) might mean that in our case, it may be more advantageous to not stretch so much. I found that my hair is much more manageable, has more body, moisture, and is easier to manipulate sticking with every 2 days (oh, tangles are much less). I just make sure to provide it with whatever it needs. So I guess Im saying if it turns out you decide to wash more often after all, embrace it. Otherwise you can try dry shampoos, styling your hair in a way that exposes more of the scalp, a headband or some other wrap to absorb sweat, and perhaps a good comb/scritch. Good luck!

jasper
January 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I stretch to two or 3 washes a week. I guess it is more often 3 than 2. I don't feel like working out makes me need to wash my hair, but I tend to time workouts for when I am going t wash my hair anyway.

The main reason I stretch washes is water conservation. That was the starting point for me, and still the most important reason. If it is better for my hair at the same time, so much the better.

cheetahfast
January 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
It's kinda cold here since it is winter, but I usually only wash my hair every 4th day.
Sometimes on the third day. To be honest I'm lazy and unless I feel like washing it, it doesn't happen.

Working out doesn't really make me wash my hair any sooner. Even if I'm heavily sweating.

Red89
January 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I do cardio every morning for an hour and 2 twice a week I do weights. I also take tap and ballet classes on mondays and wednesdays and do pilates and yoga on saturdays. I know what you mean about the way your hair feels, but I can't wash my hair every time I work out. I try to wear a thick headband and make sure that my hair is in some kind of bun. I feel like it helps to have my hair completely out of my way where it can't touch me. I'm not someone who sweats a lot though so I quick splash with water on my face and a brushing of my hair tends to help. I bring a towel with me to the gym to clean up my face with often so the sweat and oil can't build up.
Perhaps dry shampoos would help you if you timed you workouts with your washing days as well.

I stretch my washings because I have dry hair and less of it sheds when I wait to wash it.

Amber_Maiden
January 26th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I stretch washes because of the following:
1) It takes forever for my long thick hair to dry.
2) It takes a long time to wash my hair
3) It's better for my hair- less damaging, drying, etc.

I've never had a problem not washing my hair post-workout, even when I sweat a lot. I don't really mind leaving it alone, it's not like it's dirty after, or smelly.

PixxieStix
January 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I give my scalp a good massage after a workout after some of the sweat has evaporated and that leaves me feeling "fresh" enough to still keep to my every 3-5 days wash routine.

Kelikea
January 26th, 2012, 09:10 PM
So, even if my head is dripping with sweat, it won't stink the next day if I don't wash it?

Kristin
January 26th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I use a sulfate-free moisturizing shampoo or CO 3X per week after long runs. Personally, I don't think it's damaging. Not every person's hair HATES shampoo; do what's best for you, your lifestyle, and your hair.

lunalocks
January 26th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I work out to the point of dripping sweat on the floor and bangs and top of head are wet, and I have let the hair wash go another 2 days, until the next time I work out. If I wash more frequently that twice a week, my hair gets too dry, even with CWC. My scalp does not stink. (My teenager would tell me if it did!) For reassurance, have a friend sniff you several hours after work out, when your hair has dried.

Lissandria
January 27th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I see your dilemma, OP. I too don't like leaving my scalp sweaty post workout- I fear that the sweat will become a breeding ground for bacteria or fungus or something and be bad for my scalp and hair growth, which is probably an overreaction- because sweat bacteria causes BO, and I've never had BO or a smelly scalp before.
If I have not long washed my hair I will often leave it- but sometimes my hair is not otherwise dirty but I feel yuck. If its the second time in a row since a shampoo or I am feeling particularly gross I will either do a tea rinse on my scalp then water rinse or WO or CO. Im not drying my hair out or using much mechanics to wash with these methods like I would with shampoo. HTH

Mírien
January 27th, 2012, 05:19 AM
I admit that I used to have your dilemma, OP. However, I do not think that a little sweat on your hair is unhealthy. At least my hair doesn't get smelly after a workout. I wash once a week and even on the sixth day the only "smell" in my hair is that of my conditioner (and I use an organic one so it's no everlasting synthetic parfume scent).
However, even though I do not wash after each workout I always have to detangle properly. I usually wear my hair in a braid for jogging but it can get quite messy and if I do not comb it right after it results in a long struggle with tangles... :rolleyes:
So, if I were you I would not wash after each workout, with the obvious exception of a special occasion you have to attend... I mean I would not go to an exam with sweaty hair either. ;) Just do not obsess to much over it and for God's sake never skip workouts because of your hair... :p (I was such a dumb to do this in the past.)

Avital88
January 27th, 2012, 05:28 AM
i always had the same problem, i just have to wash my hair else it smells not to the way i like it..
Try co-ing?

white.chocolate
January 27th, 2012, 05:35 AM
When I work out, I have to wash my hair with shampoo immediately after because my scalp just gets so itchy from the sweat. The problem is just the itch. Even when it dries, it still itches and it starts to feel dirty. So, since stretching washes at this point is a failure, I use a mild shampoo. I tried diluting my previous shampoo but it didn't work.

jasper
January 27th, 2012, 05:43 AM
So, even if my head is dripping with sweat, it won't stink the next day if I don't wash it?

I think this must vary from person to person. I amost never notice any smell from my hair. I wash it when I start to notice it isn't looking clean or if my scalp is itchy.

I don't know about dripping with sweat. My workouts do make my hair damp, and my clothes. My face gets drippy, and I can feel drips running around my scalp, but I don't sweat like some. I am not leaving puddles under my spin bike like the guys tend to do.

Kelikea
January 28th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I'm definitely NOT going to miss workouts because of hair, but I might decide to wash, or at least rinse an extra time. I used to work out a lot more, running in the morning before work, and then go to the gym for a class, then go to dance for an hour and a half. I would get up at 5:45, run, shower, be at work at 7, get off at 6, gym, dance, home around 9, shower. It was all I could do to only wash hair in the morning. I also had a very itchy scalp, but was using sls.

I guess I was just worried about getting my head irritated again, either from sweat or washing, but I'll try to find a balance. I'm thinking shampoo only once per week, then one CO and maybe one WO acv rinse if needed. If its super cold or windy, I'll skip the rinse. SAO on slightly damp hair helps with odors, too, it smells so good. Or maybe a tea tree oil scalp massage?

Thanks for all your advice. I feel so good working out! I just don't want my scalp to suffer for it.

Vanille_
April 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
So, I've never liked the idea of washing my hair every day. But now that I'm working out almost every day, I find myself needing to wash my hair.

I don't really like this because I use Manic Panic, and washing every day causes it to fade faster. And I'm wondering if it's healthy to wash it every day.

So any thoughts? Do you wash after every workout or do you just put your hair up until the next wash? Is there anything that will keep my hair from smelling bad until the next wash?

Jessy22284
April 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I used to wash my hair twice a day because I work out every day (pre LHC) now I just do CO at night. I get pretty sweaty with my runs and need to do something. My DBF always tells me my hair smells great after that and doesn't look at all sweaty. If it's a "wear hair up" day, then I won't shower or shampoo in the AM - and my hair isn't greasy or oily at all the next day. And still smells pretty good. So far it's been working well. ;)

oktobergoud
April 17th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I co-wash after working out (only if I have washed my hair the day before already), seems to work fine with me :)

leslissocool
April 17th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Nah! I put it on a braid, and forget my hair is there! I wash it twice a week. Right now my hair feels so smooth and looks a amazing even after my sweaty work out, It's down.

Dh tells me I smell good after workouts! I still shower...

Othala
April 17th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I rinse it with hot water under the shower.

bumblebums
April 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Nope. It dries and then looks and feels normal. You just have to deal with the sweaty phase for a little bit.

shutterpillar
April 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I have to wash after every workout because my hair gets crazy oily. I wash every other day, which is also how often I exercise. there is no way I could ever go any longer than that.

I understand that would be frustrating if you use semi permanent dyes. :( I used to use Manic Panic as well and just had to keep touching it up every week or so.

Vanille_
April 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hmm. I tried CO wash this time. Not sure how it will look afterwards, but I think it might be a decent solution. If not, maybe I will try water only or maybe an ACV rinse?

jacqueline101
April 17th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I leave it and let it dry you get past the sweaty phase you're hair will be alright.

littleizz
April 17th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Copy bumblebums and jacqueline. I keep my hair up in some sort of bun when I workout, then shower with a shower cap. Once your body is washed and you're fully dried off, the few pieces of hair that get sweaty don't feel any different :)

Bedhead
April 17th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I don't wash my hair, so I have a lot of experience with this. ;)

I just do a quick scritch and preening (actively moving sebum, or in this case sweat, down the hair shaft from the roots to the ends) while the hair is still a bit damp and that seems to do the trick. The sweat will both be removed and what little is left will evaporate or be absorbed by the hair and adds moisture.

Vanille_
April 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Copy bumblebums and jacqueline. I keep my hair up in some sort of bun when I workout, then shower with a shower cap. Once your body is washed and you're fully dried off, the few pieces of hair that get sweaty don't feel any different :)

When I wear a bun, things like crunches or anything that requires me to lay down are a little awkward to do.

Audrey Horne
April 17th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I just rinse it. It doesn't look great but what can I do :o

joflakes
April 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I just put it up unless I am due to wash it anyways.

spookyghost
April 17th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Nope. I still wash my hair every other day even though I work out every day. And I work out hard!:D I need my hair to get healthy again so I have now become kinda obscessed with getting it that way. Now I do shower:p I look at it like this-since my head and hair dont stink after I work out, even though its sweaty, so its no bid deal!

Deborah
April 17th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I just stick my hair up in the sloppiest, easiest bun imaginable, work out hard, and sweat a lot six mornings a week. The hair dries naturally, is no oilier or dirtier or smellier than before, and looks great. No problems.

gogirlanime
April 17th, 2012, 02:29 PM
It depends on how much I sweat I go 6 days a week cardio-weights-cardio-weight etc. On weight-lifting days I don't usually wash because I don't sweat that much. On cardio days I sweat like crazy (I do HIIT) so I wash my hair on those days or I condition wash, before that I do an apple cider vinegar rinse so it sort of washes but isn't as harsh. Find a sulfate-free shampoo if you need to wash more often and condition really well afterwards.

earthnut
April 17th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I do, I use water only.

CariadA
April 17th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm another one who doesn't wash my hair after every workout. I work out every day and only wash twice a week. The sweat doesn't bother me anyway, but it looks fine after it dries.

buttercupmcgee
April 17th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Aside from what everyone has said here, if I feel very gross I will sometimes coil it on top of my head in a clip, wet the roots and give them a very light shampoo while the hair is up, mostly just massaging that area. Then I rinse just the roots, all the way round--by the forhead, neck, and ears. The length stays in the clip and out of the water stream.

morrigan*
April 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Last summer i work out every day, and still wash it twice a week, like usually. If i would work out only twice a week, about three days apart then i will wash it after workout.

Amber_Maiden
April 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Nope, I don't wash it or do anything to it. Just brush it. My hair doesn't smell bad after I work out, even if it is soaked in sweat. It eventually just air dries and is fine.

Corrina777
April 17th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I co-wash almost daily because if my workout schedule. I do martial arts for 1-2+ hours/day, 4-5 days/wk. My hair gets disgusting to the point where my hair products will re-activate and my hair gets crunchy again in places as it dries (I use gel to keep the curls controlled and scrunch out the crunchy stuff when my hair is dry). I'm prone to an oily scalp to begin with, but I find this gets my scalp feeling clean without drying out my ends (I use a clarifying conditioner for CO, followed by a heavier rinse out conditioner on the length).

Tisiloves
April 17th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I don't wash my hair after the gym, but my scalp doesn't seem to sweat much, I also wash my fringe, and my shampoo smells pretty strongly.

Pinkster8
April 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I at least have to wet it down and let the scalp get wet and gently massage. If its the weekend, I will not wash, but generally during the week I do, unless I didn't sweat that much.

Browniegirl
April 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
My workouts are usually pretty intense( I run long distance, for fun). So yeah, I do wash my hair, but it's a pain.

mzBANGBANG
April 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM
If I take my hair down after a work out, I just apply a leave in conditioner. The sweat usually isn't too bad and dries relatively fast. Doesn't really smell either, I'm just so conditioned to apply leave-in when my hair is wet, it's my first reaction. :)

mrs_coffee
April 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I rinse it in the shower after. If it feels really gross I will CO wash, but usually just rinsing it is enough.

turtlelover
April 17th, 2012, 10:25 PM
If I exercise heavily on a non-wash day, I just CO wash.

Bopoluchi
April 18th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I don't wash my hair. i usually wear my hair in a french braid when i exercise and i might preen afterwards, but thats it. don't really have any problems like smell or looking dodgy cos the sweat just evaporates i guess.

Valorie
April 18th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Yes. I can't break the OCD washing habit. I shower twice a day at least, it's a psychological thing (I just feel better).

Nev
April 18th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Yes! I have to wash it, it looks awful

Maiken
April 18th, 2012, 04:53 AM
you could use some of that "dryshampoo". You know the powder you spray in your hair, which will suck up the oil and leave your hair cleaner, after you removed the powder again.
Luckily for me, i only do yoga, which doesn't make me sweat to bad, so it doesn't interfere with my regular hairroutine. But if i had to wash my hair everyday, at least half of the time, i would go with the dryshampoo stuff.

Lippytoes
April 18th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I don't wash after a dance class unless it's due for a wash anyway; one of the main reasons I stretch my washes is because I want to minimise the days when I have to deal with my hair taking forever to dry, so rinsing isn't any better than a full-on wash for me. :) My hair usually looks fine even after a workout, and I tend to have it in updos/braids anyway.

morguebabe
April 18th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I just give it a spritz with dry shampoo.

Carolyn
April 18th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I usually do but it will depend on what I am doing after exercising. If I'm just going to Walmart and then going home I really don't care what I look like or smell like :D I think my sweat and my sebum stink so I like to get rid of that smell. I usually wash either every other day or 3 times a week. I have no qualms about washing every day if I think I need to. And sweating a lot equals needing to wash. A WO only rinse doesn't really do the trick. It needs to be a CO wash or a wash with S & C.

Mayflower
April 18th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I only workout 30-45 minutes every day so I don't get overly sweaty, but I always wear my hair up in a top knot with a headband so my hairline doesn't get sweaty. Then I just shower. My hair never gets smelly really.

Renate
April 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I don't wash my hair after working out. I don't sweat much, since I work out under an air conditioner...

PolarCathy
April 18th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Nop, only WO rinse. No reason to wash. Although I sweat a lot, when it dries it has no smell and only I know it (not visible).

PixxieStix
April 18th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I don't wash it after a good hard cardio workout (and I sweat A LOT) unless it's a wash day, I usually just massage my sweaty scalp and let my hair air dry, no one has ever commented that my hair stinks. If it's itchy though, then I'll do a WO, but that's it.

BrightEyes
April 20th, 2012, 11:30 PM
If it's not a wash day then no, I don't wash my hair after working out. I just put a shower cap on and hop in the shower. I really don't sweat a lot though.

Beckstar
April 20th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I dry shampoo my roots if they're nasty.

WinterDream
May 18th, 2012, 01:44 PM
One of the first things I've tried after lurking here for a while was to reduce handling my hair as much as possible. I was already using SLS shampoo and wearing my hair up all the time and still saw improvement after stretching the washes and buying a horn comb :)

Lately I've been very stressed and added to my normal Yoga/Pilates routine cardio 5 times a week - it really helps me feel and cope better, but I just can't bear not washing after. I started oiling the scalp with castor/avocado oil and feel a nice tingling during my exercise routine but even with my hair braided it's still soaked when I'm done. Today I only CO washed during my shower and it's ok, but I'm wondering if doing this almost daily won't increase breakage.

Any other people who exercise regularly have the same problem? Do you have any suggestions? I'm at a loss and afraid not to loose the results I've got lately... :(

catamonica
May 18th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I wash my hair once a week, and do a scalp wash during the week. I walk in place for exercise.
I just put a hard board down to exercise on. I put 1- or 2 capfuls of olive oil in my shampoo & conditioner. And Aloe Vera gel in the conditioner. The Aloe Vera makes it baby soft. The olive oil is good to. And I treat the ends with olive oil & conditioner, 4 times. I wear my hair up all the time to. Only wear it down once a month. My hair is in good condition. I hope this helps. And welcome to TLHC.

krissykins
May 19th, 2012, 02:50 AM
CO washing is much gentler than sulfate shampoo, so it won't strip your hair of moisture the same way a sulfate shampoo would. Therefore, it should be safe to CO wash everyday. There are plenty of members here who CO wash every day due to exercising and none have reported adverse effects. Some also choose to CO wash every other day and simply perform a WO-type wash on the in between days, but these members probably do not oil their scalps daily.

WinterDream
May 19th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Thank you, catamonica!

CO washing is much gentler than sulfate shampoo, so it won't strip your hair of moisture the same way a sulfate shampoo would. Therefore, it should be safe to CO wash everyday. There are plenty of members here who CO wash every day due to exercising and none have reported adverse effects. Some also choose to CO wash every other day and simply perform a WO-type wash on the in between days, but these members probably do not oil their scalps daily.

That's a bit of a relief, I'll just see it as an occasion to switch to CO :)

höpönasu
September 20th, 2013, 12:54 AM
I recently started gym training again. I will exercise 3-5 times a week but I only want to wash my hair twice a week. When I exercise I always sweat like crazy and of course my scalp sweats too and it would be nasty to not wash it. How would you re-schedule this? Stick to twice a week shampoo-condition-wash and wash with water the other times? When I wasn't LHCer and exercised I washed my hair every day I exercised with 'poo and conditioner! Now I know that'll destroy my hair. I really don't want to give up on exercising again because I enjoy it.

Buddaphlyy
September 20th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I go to the gym 5-6 days a week . I shampoo twice a week and co wash on the other days.

Ocelan
September 20th, 2013, 01:46 AM
I think you have a few options for the days when you don't actually want to wash and just want to get rid of the sweat:
1) A water only wash for the whole head and length
2) A CO wash for the whole head and length (may be diluted as you don't really need to clean oils off yet and it's much gentler than shampoo)
3) Water wash for the scalp and (diluted) conditioner for the length
4) Only scalp wash with water and leave the ends dry (I think this is the best option to not have a long drying time when it's really cold outside)

You should be able to find an option between these or you can mix them up if you feel like it. :)

sandigrl117
September 20th, 2013, 02:42 AM
I go to the gym 4-6 times a week. Generally I do WO after the gym just to get the sweat off my scalp, sometimes CO because I sweat so much (when I do HARD workouts) and it makes my head itchy afterwards. Bad thing is I have to shampoo and condition daily after work because I work in a pool 3-4 hours a day...

Perhaps try WO first to see if that works then go from there to CO if that's not suiting you. I've found that french and dutch braids are also great for hiding dirty hair.

Flor
September 20th, 2013, 03:05 AM
You gotta try different things and see what works best for you. I've decided to just stick to my usual routine. I don't find sweat to be irritating to scalp, so I just leave it be. Most of it is just water anyway. I don't feel like my hair needs to be washed with products after every workout, but if I use water only, it takes forever to dry and ends up looking more oily somehow.

That said, my workout is running on the beach (windy!), so even if I sweat a lot, most of it dries up before I get back to the car. And I don't have to worry about other people's germs and such :D If I worked out in a gym and used equipment, I'd probably feel different.

stachelbeere
September 20th, 2013, 03:37 AM
That said, my workout is running on the beach (windy!), so even if I sweat a lot, most of it dries up before I get back to the car. And I don't have to worry about other people's germs and such :D If I worked out in a gym and used equipment, I'd probably feel different.

running on the beach... heavenly!!! <3

jacqueline101
September 20th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I work out too and sweat I just stick to my normal wash routine.

höpönasu
September 20th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Thank you all! I try stick to my normal shampoo-condition-routine and WO other times. I do feel like washing my hair after every workout at gym because I train hard and sweat a lot. (:

Marbid
September 20th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I exercise 5 days of the week. I sleep with a night cap. I exercise in the morning with the nightcap. Who cares about appearances. its a gym full of sweat. All that matters is the hair. Then I take a shower and let down the clean hair to bun with a hair stick.

hmmmm I never noticed my scalp sweating.. I don't think my scalp sweats. My face does not sweat.

spidermom
September 20th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Sadly, I've gotten out of the gym habit.

I could usually get away with letting the sweat dry in my hair once. Other days, I'd hold the length up and rinse the scalp. I still washed about twice a week, three times if I noticed smells or ickiness.

Crumpet
September 20th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I exercise 5 days of the week. I sleep with a night cap. I exercise in the morning with the nightcap. Who cares about appearances. its a gym full of sweat. All that matters is the hair. Then I take a shower and let down the clean hair to bun with a hair stick.

hmmmm I never noticed my scalp sweating.. I don't think my scalp sweats. My face does not sweat.

I love that you exercise in your sleep cap! I've thought about doing it myself -- you may have enabled me...

I run a lot (marathons, ultra-marathons etc), all of which are very sweaty. If I do more than about 13 miles, I usually want to wash my hair after. I only do that once a week so I synch up one of my hair washes with that. The other days I still run a lot but once my hair dries off a bit, I don't feel like its any more in need of a wash than usual. But everyone is different so see what works for you!

flemeister
September 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM
A simple diluted WV rinse does the job for me, followed by brushing to remove any remaining crap. :)

Firefox7275
September 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I recently started gym training again. I will exercise 3-5 times a week but I only want to wash my hair twice a week. When I exercise I always sweat like crazy and of course my scalp sweats too and it would be nasty to not wash it. How would you re-schedule this? Stick to twice a week shampoo-condition-wash and wash with water the other times? When I wasn't LHCer and exercised I washed my hair every day I exercised with 'poo and conditioner! Now I know that'll destroy my hair. I really don't want to give up on exercising again because I enjoy it.

You don't need shampoo to remove sweat since it is water based, water only or conditioner washing will remove it fine. Maybe protect your ends and lower lengths from water damage with oils.

Vrindi
September 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Using a wide cloth headband really helps to keep my scalp from getting sweaty when I run. Bonus: it also keeps the little hairs at the nape of your neck from getting tangled in necklaces. This only happens when I run.

Kaelee
September 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I've washed my hair daily for years, first with shampoo and no conditioner (I used coconut oil instead) and in the past year or so, CO washing (still daily). It has in no way destroyed my hair, so I definitely wouldn't be afraid to wash more often if you find that you need to.

Flor
September 20th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Using a wide cloth headband really helps to keep my scalp from getting sweaty when I run. Bonus: it also keeps the little hairs at the nape of your neck from getting tangled in necklaces. This only happens when I run.

Ooh, cool tip! I gotta try this.

joyful373
September 21st, 2013, 12:51 PM
Since I have started running regularly, I have had to make some changes. I do a scalp only wash on my long run days, (I scalp wash once a week, and full wash every 2 weeks) and then water only on the other days. It does the trick! If I am super sweaty and water doesn't cut it, I will dilute my shampoo and use just a bit of that- I know it sounds odd. It looks odd to me while writing it ;)... but that's what works for the moment :) I also LOOOOOVE headbands. Happy exercising!

GrowingGlory
September 21st, 2013, 01:54 PM
When I wear a High Protection UV Buff (from BuffUSA) my head does not sweat, so my hair stays cool, clean and dry. HTH!

nakima
September 21st, 2013, 05:27 PM
I workout on my dirty hair days. I wear a hat to the gym and afterwards I air dry my hair, oil the ends put it up take my bath and wash my hair the next day as usual.This is what works for me:)

patienceneeded
September 21st, 2013, 08:58 PM
I run as well...but my scalp seems to sweat A LOT. Frankly, I'm baffled by the idea that one's head isn't sweaty after a long run! A cloth headband would just be wet and sweaty on me and then I'd end up with acne under the band from my own sweat. Not pretty. I'm glad it works for others! I HAVE to wash my hair after running. Have to. Super gross if I don't wash...although I do dilute my shampoo...which I do most washes anyway. I wash every-other day anyway, simply can't stretch washes any farther, too oily otherwise. So, I run every-other day...wash day. :smile:

teela1978
September 21st, 2013, 10:20 PM
I always wash after sweaty-exercisey type stuff. I realize it should just be water and salt on my scalp, but I think my sebaceous glands get a workout as well, my hair is flat and blah if it isn't washed after exercise. I'm not going for super-long lengths, my waist-length hair is just fine with being washed every couple (sometimes every single) days.

VJG
September 21st, 2013, 11:01 PM
If I need to wash my hair between normal washings, I just use conditioner.

kmcg
September 22nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
I usually just do WO after working out (should be noted that I only use homemade shampoos/conditioners). My whole head sweats a lot during work outs. I'm completely amazed and jealous of those who don't. If I don't rinse with water my hair isn't unbearable but it definitely has a different texture. It tends to feel a little starchy and has more volume which is good for styling but it's not my favorite hair texture.

Sandigrl117, I swim fairly often (4 days a week) and have found that I do not need to use shampoo or conditioner afterwards. All I need to do is rinse with water and then follow with an acidic rinse (ACV, citric acid, lemon juice, etc) with a few drops of oil and 2 Tbsp aloe. It gets the chlorine out, detangles and conditions my hair. Basically, you just need to use something on the acidic side of the pH scale to neutralize the alkaline effects of chlorinated water. Just a suggestion if you're looking for an easier after swim solution.

labailaora
September 22nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Since I wear a bun to exercise, I tend to just rinse my scalp with water after exercise on a non-wash day, and keep the length in the bun and dry (either by careful ducking of the spray, or putting a showercap over the bun, which looks silly but works!).

MeowScat
September 22nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
Scalp washes are great in between full washes. They have really saved my length from extra wear and tear.

I make a bun several inches away from my scalp and wash only the un-bunned hair. I cover the bun with a shower cap or plastic bag and secure it with a scrunchie. You can do the scalp wash in the sink or shower, which is awesome. It might take some practice, but it's worth the trial and error.

CO and WO washes are great, too, but for some it might not be enough to cleanse the greasies that may happen after a really sweaty day. Experiment.

kmcg
September 22nd, 2013, 07:51 PM
Since I have started running regularly, I have had to make some changes. I do a scalp only wash on my long run days, (I scalp wash once a week, and full wash every 2 weeks) and then water only on the other days. It does the trick! If I am super sweaty and water doesn't cut it, I will dilute my shampoo and use just a bit of that- I know it sounds odd. It looks odd to me while writing it ;)... but that's what works for the moment :) I also LOOOOOVE headbands. Happy exercising!
Oh yeah forgot to say...
Joyful373, diluting shampoo isn't weird at all! Ya know the No 'Poo method? Diluting shampoo is commonly used as a way to ease into the NP method. Some people categorize it as Sorta 'Poo. Who comes up with these names anyway?

running-girl
December 1st, 2013, 12:22 PM
Since I wear a bun to exercise, I tend to just rinse my scalp with water after exercise on a non-wash day, and keep the length in the bun and dry (either by careful ducking of the spray, or putting a showercap over the bun, which looks silly but works!).

What type of bun do you use that stays up while exercising?

running-girl
December 1st, 2013, 12:22 PM

What type of bun do you use that stays up while exercising?

running-girl
December 1st, 2013, 12:29 PM
sorry for the duplicate posts..... computer hiccuped and froze.....

lole18
January 2nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Since it's a new year i have a weight loss goal i want to achieve! But when i workout i sweat like a PIG! Will it damage my hair if i only shampoo it once a week while sweating A LOT and keeping in a bun\braid ponytail? I'm scared it'll damage it and cause pimples in my scalp cause its sweat and i'm not letting it loose to dry if that makes any sence? Also i really don't want anything to increase my hair shedding or cause breakage because of the salt in the sweat.. What are your opinions? I live in a place with hard water if it makes a difference :) thanks :D

Chromis
January 2nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
It'll be fine! I have super hard water and wash once a week usually. Sometimes twice in summer, but not often. I keep mine up and sleep in a braid and don't have any problems. Lots of us work out here. You could always just do a rinse, but for me that would be hassle and not needed.

lole18
January 2nd, 2014, 09:27 AM
It'll be fine! I have super hard water and wash once a week usually. Sometimes twice in summer, but not often. I keep mine up and sleep in a braid and don't have any problems. Lots of us work out here. You could always just do a rinse, but for me that would be hassle and not needed.

Would it also be ok if i only co-washed? Or will that cause damage? I really want to lose weight but i don't want my hair shedding more than it already is :( should i let it loose till the sweat dries? Or is it ok to keep it tied?

velorutionista
January 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM
I don't find any adverse effects from keeping my sweaty hair up unwashed for a few days (I bike to/from work nearly year round, so it gets sweaty a lot!). I find it is actually a bit better behaved, actually!

Crumpet
January 2nd, 2014, 09:37 AM
Would it also be ok if i only co-washed? Or will that cause damage? I really want to lose weight but i don't want my hair shedding more than it already is :( should i let it loose till the sweat dries? Or is it ok to keep it tied?

It will be fine. The main thing is to put it into a protective updo. I run ultramarathons (runs over 26.2 miles) so I sweat a revolting amount on a near-daily basis. My hair is totally fine. You may (or may not) want to wash your hair more often, but wait to see how your hair looks when the sweat dries. Its usually fine. CO-washing, if that works for you, should be fine. Just look into updos (I like spin pins for working out) and other protection (I wear buffs when its sunny or cold).

Chromis
January 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM

I use shampoo bars personally, but see no reason not to continue CO washing if that is working well for you. I keep mine up while working out and do not let it down afterwards. I wouldn't overthink it too much. If anything, my scalp seems to like the sweat! There are lots are great threads for workout updos too and also for working out in general.

patienceneeded
January 2nd, 2014, 10:52 AM
Sweating and not washing right away will cause no damage. If you don't like the feeling of dried sweat on your scalp, or it does cause problems, a simple water-rinse would suffice until your next wash day. CO washing works too. Watch for shedding with the CO washing, some people find it increases their shedding (I can't CO wash...y hair falls out like crazy when I do). Many people CO wash with no problems at all.

The point is, go ahead and work out! You'll feel better and your hair will survive. Lots of LHCers with loooooooooong hair work out regularly.

Anje
January 2nd, 2014, 11:17 AM
I've been around here for a long time, and though a number of people have expressed your fears, I have never seen ANYONE complain of damage due to sweat. Ever.

What I have seen is that some feel like they get a bit of extra volume and like it. Others find that the sweat also encourages sebum to go further out onto their hair, and they feel like they need to wash a little more often so that their hair won't look greasy after the sweat has dried.

If you're actually concerned, simply rinsing in water will wash all the salt away. CO washing would be a step beyond that, and also perfectly acceptable (assuming that CO washing is otherwise perfectly acceptable to you). But don't be concerned. Shower when you need to and congratulations on deciding to get more exercise. It's good for you and good for hair growth!

Mizumi
January 2nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
Exercise is fun! :) Your hair should be fine with sweating, but it may look more flat and greasy, and then more frequent washing might be necessary. However, I used to exercise hard daily and my very fine hair was OK with it.

Lyv
January 2nd, 2014, 02:58 PM
I work out most days and even when my hair was long I never had a problem.

sarahthegemini
January 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
Sweat doesn't damage skin, why would it damage hair? :)

MeowScat
January 2nd, 2014, 06:11 PM
Sometimes it will make my scalp itchy. Scalp wash to the rescue! You can do them in the shower or your kitchen sink. (Bathroom sink is harder to do this since the faucet is much lower and the sink is shallower so it's hard to get my head under the faucet).

I bun my length and put it in a shower cap or plastic bag, then I use an elastic or a scrunchie to the base of the bun, over the plastic to keep it in place. Some people make a loose braid. Just keep several inches of your scalp hair looser so you can get your fingers in there.

Anyuta
January 2nd, 2014, 07:02 PM
I have kinda similar question, except that I put in oil on my head before I work out, so I sweat with oil on my head.. Is that ok? I don't do it on purpose, it's just that I usually put oil on my head right after I come from work and then something hits me and I go jogging couple of hours later... I suppose mixing sweat/oil wouldn't cause a big deal (I usually take shower right after workout so everything gets washed off).

ravenreed
January 2nd, 2014, 07:08 PM
I CO-wash every other day without a problem. I hate a sweaty scalp because I get very itchy so I wash as needed. Honestly, I think the worry about damage from gentle cleasing methods is seriously overblown.

swearnsue
January 2nd, 2014, 07:10 PM
I still get hot flashes now and then, my head gets soaked, and I haven't had any problems with it hurting my hair.

I have heard that exercise is good for circulation including the scalp and members have reported increase in growth!

Also, I think I remember something on this forum about salt water misting hair but don't remember why this was done...

I would say go ahead and exercise and have fun!

trolleypup
January 2nd, 2014, 08:12 PM
A quick water rinse will get the sweat out...and I found that if I could do the rinse when my scalp was still hot, it would help with stretching washes.

ps: I've never noticed damage from repeatedly sweated into hair.

bryana
January 2nd, 2014, 09:05 PM
i agree with everyone else! i lift weights and do cardio 4 days a week. i sweat into my hair every time and i only wash about once every 5 days. no problems at all. if anything, i've noticed slightly faster growth! i say go for it!

Chromis
January 2nd, 2014, 11:23 PM
I have kinda similar question, except that I put in oil on my head before I work out, so I sweat with oil on my head.. Is that ok? I don't do it on purpose, it's just that I usually put oil on my head right after I come from work and then something hits me and I go jogging couple of hours later... I suppose mixing sweat/oil wouldn't cause a big deal (I usually take shower right after workout so everything gets washed off).

I oil my hair and my scalp the day after I wash. Hasn't hurt a thing. Some here only oil their length since their scalp doesn't like the oil, but mine loves it.

Marika
January 2nd, 2014, 11:43 PM
I lost 120 pounds in less than a year which means I did sweat a lot back in 2012!:p Sweat didn't do anything to my hair (washed it almost everyday) but it is a lot thinner nowadays. Poor hair has gone through a lot in past two years. First the weightloss, then I got pregnant, gained 60 pounds and now I'm breastfeeding and eventually going to lose that 60 pounds. This time I'm going to take it slower and add a little bit more protein if that would help.

Good luck to you!:blossom:

Wildcat Diva
January 3rd, 2014, 12:13 AM
I like to use a little mister bottle with rosewater to mist my roots after I sweat. This might help you to feel a bit cleaner, but it's not the same as actually rinsing your hair. Much less trouble though. When it dries, it's fine.

long&blonde
January 3rd, 2014, 12:51 AM
Same question here,.lol. Loved the answers. I've lately been washing once every 14 days-but-zero workouts.
with the new year I too would like to start regular exercise-and I sweat gallons too.
Same questions,mine more along lines of-anyone I've asked said my hair smelled fine with my once every 2 week washes. Going back to exercise I wonder if that'll put an end to once every 14 day washes. Lol

LadyCelestina
January 3rd, 2014, 02:34 AM
Scalp washes! If your hair is long enough of course.I had best results with loosely braiding the length and holding the braid in one hand and the shower head in other.Then I apply shampoo (CO might be harder to distribute so I suggest diluting) with one hand.
Once the shampoo is applied,I can put the braid down and massage with both hands.For rinsing,I hold the braid away again.

Chocowalnut
February 23rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
For people who exercise a lot but still want to look good and take care of your hair what's the best way? I like to wash my hair after working out but if frequent washing and styling is bad what should you do?

ositarosita
February 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
I wash my hair after every workout.. for my workouts I change my hair style depending on what day it is (leg day, chest day shoulder day etc.).. so I alternate between top knots, French braids, English braids, ballerina bun etc.

I CO wash, apply my leave in / detangler, apply my serum then let it air dry.... I try not to do styles that manipulate my hair too much

ProverbsGirl
March 3rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
Hello, :)
I am curious what everyone does about stretching washes while working out a lot. I am currently training for a half marathon(3-4 days a week), as well as attending Zumba once a week and doing strength 2-3 days a week.
I was washing twice a week and it was going well. Then once I started training again is got a bit greasy than usual. Plus I had to be some places and now I'm back to washing every other day.

How does your work out routine affect your hair care routine?

Vrindi
March 3rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
A nice, absorbent headband will help while you're working out. Some people like dry shampoos. I've found that wearing a loose French braid helps to keep it from getting too sweaty. Also, just rinsing your scalp with water if you got really sweaty is usually all that's necessary between washes. I like to put a little extra oil on the ends when I get out. If you still find you need to wash more often, then just really dilute the shampoo.

GoddesJourney
March 3rd, 2014, 07:40 PM
I CO wash and shampoo once or twice a week. Have you tried beer rinsing. There have been times when I showered before working out and just beer rinsed my hair since water doesn't seem to cut it.

trolleypup
March 3rd, 2014, 08:13 PM
Water only when your scalp is still warm works pretty well.

Vanilla
March 3rd, 2014, 08:24 PM
I try to plan my washes around the days that I plan on working out. I do hot yoga twice a week, and I absolutely have to shower afterwards, as I'm covered head to toe in sweat!

In the warmer months, I tend to excercise outside and at a more moderate pace, so I tend to get less sweaty. On those days, I'll make sure my hair is French or Dutch braided, and I'll often sleep with that style in. For whatever reason, by the next morning, my hair has absorbed all the sweat and oil if it stays braided and it's generally presentable for the next day or so.

I don't try to beat myself up if I find I have to wash more than twice a week.

PamelaViktoria
March 3rd, 2014, 09:02 PM
I just spray distilled on the roots and dry it with a towel a bit. Distilled water is negatively charged and will attach to anything that's not supposed to be there. I went from washing every 2 days because of greasiness, to now every week.

Vanilla
March 3rd, 2014, 09:18 PM
I just spray distilled on the roots and dry it with a towel a bit. Distilled water is negatively charged and will attach to anything that's not supposed to be there. I went from washing every 2 days because of greasiness, to now every week.

Thanks for the recommendation! I am going to try this tonight. My roots look a bit greasy right now, but I'm working out tomorrow evening, so I didn't want to wash tonight.

ProverbsGirl
March 4th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the recommendations!
I keep forgetting that I can rinse and condition and it won't do much by the way of damage. I'm going to Zumba tomorrow and will try to just rinse and condition a bit. :)

Leslieslsa
March 9th, 2014, 11:47 AM
So I am going to start going back to the gym. I sweat like really bad when I am there so when I come home I usually just massage the scalp and rinse with just cool water then maybe add a little leave in conditioner. I hate to have to wet it everyday, but I have heard that all that sweat can clog the hair follicle. So what I was thinking about is since I am getting it wet anyways, would it be healthier to cowash than just rinse? Or at least condition the length? Or should I stick to what I am doing? I shampoo and condition about every three days or so.

LadyCelestina
March 9th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Can you just wash your scalp?

queenovnight
March 9th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Greetings!
I workout 6 days a week (running mountainous areas, yoga and the gym.) I personally have never been worried about this. Exercise leads to a healthy lifestyle, and a healthy lifestyle leads to healthy hair. But I personally co-wash every other day or sometimes I just water wash. Depends on the workout really. I think what your doing now is good though!

Savvyhorsez
March 9th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I work all day around horses, but I also bike, speed-walk, run, ski, skate, etc, and I just wash my scalp when it gets really bad.

meteor
March 9th, 2014, 12:55 PM
The only difficulty with rigorous exercise is sweat, which is something that many hate having on their scalp for long.
I'd recommend scalp washes with very diluted shampoo or water alone. And wash the length of your hair as usual.
But there is no evidence at all that sweat is somehow bad for your scalp or hair, so you don't actually "have to" wash your scalp more often - I know for me, it just feels nicer when I do.

sarahthegemini
March 9th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I would say if you're going to saturate yur hair anyway, you'd be better off atleast conditioning it. You could rinse with water and then just use a leave-in.

alexis917
March 9th, 2014, 02:57 PM
My hair is up almost all the time, so even though I exercise daily, I still don't wash it often (twice a week or less).

Crumpet
March 9th, 2014, 03:21 PM
You could try dry shampoo massages. It took me a little while to get way from the post-run hair wash but if I let the sweat dry a bit and then use dry shampoo that my hair actually looks better!

bellydancefae
June 16th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I'm a dancer and live in the very humid Southern USA (keep moving between SC, NC, and GA). I usually wear my hair up in a bun or ponytail during dance anyway since I hate the feel of sweaty, hot hair on my neck and in my face. I normally shower every day I exercise, and about every other day when I don't. Since switching to natural shampoos, I have noticed I don't get quite as oily as I did with conventional products, but my hair still ends up being more limp than I would prefer. I'm about to start trying shampoo bars + ACV rinses to see if that helps at all.

I will say this for short hair: I miss being able to just stick my head in the sink and giving it a quick rinse and rub to get sweat out!

As far as dry shampoo goes, I have a love-hate relationship with it. Sometimes it works great, gives my hair amazing body and gets rid of greasiness. Other times, it looks powdery, won't rub in, gets gritty, or just plain doesn't work and I up feeling even grosser. Plus there's all the nastiness in the aerosol sprays I'd rather avoid, and the cost for such a large amount of can and small amount of powder. I've been considering making my own dry shampoo powder in a sifter, but not sure if I want to bother since my results tend to vary anyway :/

Dogfish
July 24th, 2014, 02:00 PM
I'm new to the forum, and so maybe I have a lot to learn, but I just wanted to say I often do NOT wash my hair after exercise.
I exercise 5-6 days a week, and if I were to wash my hair that often it would be a dried up mess. I can't do the condition only method, because then my hair looks ridiculously greasy. There is such a fine line, for my hair, as far as keeping it washed and conditioned without it getting either too dry or too greasy.
I sweat quite profusely most of the time, and it's uncomfortable while I'm still sweaty but if I get to a source of cool wind right after a work out to dry off, and cool off my head, I don't seem to have any issues. (I usually literally just sit in front of a fan for 5-10 minutes after a work out) I pat dry (don't rub) any excess off, and then I put a shower cap on and bathe the rest of my body.

Sometimes I will give my hair and scalp a thorough rinse after exercise, but not wash or condition at all. I only do this if my scalp feels like it needs it, though.

DesiraeV
July 24th, 2014, 07:41 PM
This may only be helpful to people with bangs - I work out in the mornings and will usually shower and only wash my bangs with the rest of my hair up. Once out of the shower I find it is nice to flip my head over and comb it with my fingers just to get air to the scalp. Then I leave it down for about half an hour to let it dry out. The fact that working out does make me need to shower more. Best advice would be to find an activity that you enjoy enough that you can tolerate the extra maintenance and look forward to it in spite of it.

Sort of like having long hair :D Sure, there are challenges to overcome; but there is a goal in mind that makes even those worthwhile.

Akville
July 25th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Hi!

I have a question about sweat and dirt in the hair...

Can it possibly damage to not wash your hair?... I use to work out three to five time a week but I try to wash my hair once a week..
Can it be damaging to have dirty hair whole week? or maybe this **** on the hair protects the hair :)

kaibo
November 16th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Hi!

I have a question about sweat and dirt in the hair...

Can it possibly damage to not wash your hair?... I use to work out three to five time a week but I try to wash my hair once a week..
Can it be damaging to have dirty hair whole week? or maybe this **** on the hair protects the hair :)

I know this post is old, but I still wanted to try and help.
I don't think that sweat or oils that you body produces will damage your hair in any way. Hair collects oils and sweat from whenever some touches it and laying against skin. Tying it up would be the best option, or saving more vigorous exercises for hair washing day, or day before as well if you aren't going out on the day you wash your hair.

ZeppHead
November 16th, 2014, 09:26 AM
After running twice a day I still wouldn't wash daily. I've found rinsing with cool water and massaging was enough to get the sweat away from the scalp. Unless of course it was wash day. Back them I was shampooing every 2 to 3 days and running twice a day seven days a week and simply rinsing my scalp and keeping conditioner on the ends was enough.

DragonAngel
November 16th, 2014, 12:28 PM
ok this may sound a bit gross too but I also exercise a bit and if I was to wash my hair everytime it would resemble a hay bail in summer, so what I do and it seems to work nicely is to let my hair down (always up during exercise) and let it dry by itself, once it is dry I then brush it through thereby as I see it using my natural oils which have been assisted by the sweat glands to evenly add extra nutrients to my hair.

floorlonghair
November 16th, 2014, 02:32 PM
I never work out that is why I a fat

I also only shampoo wash my hair twice a year

I water only wash my hair four times a year

Olympias7
January 14th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I work out pretty hard nearly every day (meaning I get very sweaty). I try to wash my hair every other day and just use water and conditioner on the ends on the non-wash days. It seems to work well enough. What I could improve upon is protective hairstyles for working out. I usually do a braided ponytail but I suspect it causes breakage. Buns do not work for running - my slippery hair comes right out of the bun. I'd be interested to see what other workout hairstyles work for people.

mamaherrera
January 14th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I've tried just doing a rinse, but it actually made me itchier than to just leave it alone and not wet it. I find, that the hair above my ears is always oily/sweaty and it drives me nuts because it always has that "wet" look. I don't know why it is like that, but seriously I can shampoo, sleep and the next day by upon waking, it looks "wet". It bugs me, but I find that if I'm not going to shampoo, it's best just to leave my hair alone and not just wet it. At least not now. BUt I do hate those oily parts that look even more slick with oil plus sweat. But I too, workout mostly every day and it bugs to know that I'm leaving my hair sweaty. But at least I've found, it doesn't effect my henna uptake even if it is dirty, sweaty or oily.

Kelikea
January 15th, 2015, 07:58 PM
I generally work out about an hour/day, split on some weekdays, the full hour on weekends. It has been cold here, so I haven't been quite as sweaty and sebum/oil seems to be less also. I am washing 2x/wk so far this winter. To keep my hair up, I usually do a ponytail and then a bun held with two linzi claw clips. Yesterday, I tried a low ponytail, braided, bunned, and held with 2 spin pins and that held all day, through a workout, through the night, and through another workout:) My workouts are lifting, dvds(like Jillian/Firm/Tracy Anderson type stuff) running, and circuits.

Kome
January 15th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I really hate having sweat in my hair. It depends on the day and how I'm feeling though. If it's super sweaty then I just go ahead and AT LEAST rinse it and scrub my scalp with my fingers. I often shampoo a little after, though only on my scalp so I don't dry out the rest of my hair. Then I twist in a cinnabun after towl drying and letting dry a little more down.

irisa2005
January 31st, 2017, 10:23 AM
Hi! newbie here :)
I have a tip I use for excercise, I usually do yoga 2 to 3 time at week and my hair get oily really easy, so, since I can't find dry shampoo here in Ecuador, I found that baby powder can get your hair less oily, I'm not sure if it's a good advise for everyone but it works for me, the only thing is that the day after I put baby powder my scalp becomes quite itchy, so until I found anoter option for my hair I'll keep with the Baby Powder.
I hope this tip help anyone here, it's just my second post :flower:

likelikepenny
January 31st, 2017, 10:48 AM
Hi! newbie here :)
I have a tip I use for excercise, I usually do yoga 2 to 3 time at week and my hair get oily really easy, so, since I can't find dry shampoo here in Ecuador, I found that baby powder can get your hair less oily, I'm not sure if it's a good advise for everyone but it works for me, the only thing is that the day after I put baby powder my scalp becomes quite itchy, so until I found anoter option for my hair I'll keep with the Baby Powder.
I hope this tip help anyone here, it's just my second post :flower:

It's probably the scent. You can try cornstarch which is the main ingredient in baby powder.

irisa2005
January 31st, 2017, 11:03 AM
It's probably the scent. You can try cornstarch which is the main ingredient in baby powder.

:hmm: I never thought about that option... I will definitely try it next time and post my review, Thanks! :)

kidari
January 31st, 2017, 04:37 PM
I wash my hair every other day anyway but when I work out and sweat a lot I don't wash afterwards if it's not a wash day unless my hair is super greasy that week and I have to. I think how you wear your hair while working out makes a huge difference. After work outs I just wrap my hair line with a terry cloth head band and wash my body only. Also, I take down my hair and blow dry the scalp on the cool setting to get rid of the sweat and I'm good to go.

Dark40
January 31st, 2017, 05:58 PM
I would say no. It isn't ok to have sweat in your hair. I would do a co-washing every single day.

colin
February 4th, 2017, 12:56 PM
I wash my scalp usually after exercising, occasionally I get lazy and don't. Only wash the length once a week regardless.

VegVampireQueen
April 6th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Thanks to all for the suggestions in this thread! I'm learning a lot, and it's definitely appreciated for exercise-related hair advice. As my hair is starting to get a bit longer, I have been wondering what I will do in the future especially on long, hot hikes this Summer!