PDA

View Full Version : Could using dry shampoo be worse than washing my hair?

divinedobbie
March 25th, 2014, 07:18 AM
I stretched washing to every three days (from every day a few months ago), but I can't go that third day without dry shampoo. I also just bought a new dry shampoo and with it, I can even stretch to four days!

But...

Because dry shampoo has drying alcohols (the ones I have contain SD alcohol or denatured alcohol), is using it maybe even worse than washing my hair? Even if using dry shampoo is on the same level of "badness" as washing, I might as well be skipping the dry shampoo and washing every two days instead.

I've tried using cornstarch and home made recipes several times but it really doesn't work for me.

Is there any information or knowledge out there about how damaging dry shampoo is compared to washing (with sulfate free shampoo)?

lapushka
March 25th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Acohols are going to be a smidgen drying on already greasy hair, so I wouldn't worry about that. And the first case of hair death due to alcohols is yet to emerge. ;)

dancingpoet
March 25th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I honestly would like to know the same thing. So far, it doesn't seem damaging, and I love that I can get an extra day in before I have to wash my hair.

sarahthegemini
March 25th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I use Batiste which has a drying alcohol as the 5th ingredient but I haven't experienced any dryness from it. I use it all over my scalp and hair line on the evening of day 2 and 3 (I then wash on day 5) My hair takes 3 to 5 hours to dry (it's not thick and it's not even long yet!) so I'd much rather use dry shampoo.

Crumpet
March 25th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I don't think so. Besides, its only going on the roots, which are stronger than the ends of your hair.

Larki
March 25th, 2014, 11:52 AM
You can buy dry shampoo without alcohol in it!

Marika
March 25th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I guess I'm unlucky but dry shampoo is definitely worse for my hair than "normal" washing. I've tried different brands but the results were always the same. And I didn't give up easily! :p I continued to use them for about 8 months but when I started to notice breakage near my scalp and my scalp became itchy,, it was time to stop. I wash my hair every other day and my hair looks greasy already on that 2nd day and wanted to hide that with dry shampoo.

antler_tines
March 25th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I have to say the reason I don't use it is because it has aluminum in it. I don't use deodorant with aluminum so aerosolized aluminum seems like a bad idea to breath in.

Larki
March 25th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I have to say the reason I don't use it is because it has aluminum in it. I don't use deodorant with aluminum so aerosolized aluminum seems like a bad idea to breath in.

You can buy dry shampoo without aluminum as well! Search for dry shampoo on Etsy.

antler_tines
March 25th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah you're right :) all the ones in a spray can I have seen have it though. I can usually use corn starch when I really need to though.

Nadine <3
March 25th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I use cocoa powder when I need it. I french braid my hair, then I sprinkle and rub it in a bit with my fingers and comb through it with a fine tooth comb. It works to distribute the powder and helps hide my scalp since my hair is so thin. Plus is smells like chocolate and doesn't give my hair that grey look I got with dry shampoo.

Lyv
March 25th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I've used the Batiste dry shampoo regularly for a long time and I've never had issues and it doesn't dry out or irritate my scalp as much as shampooing so imo no it's not worse.

SkyChild
March 25th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I use spray dry shampoo and have done regularly to get to 3 or 4 days between washes with no ill-effects.
But now I'm near the bottom of this can I'm going to give cocoa powder a try for a bit and see how I get on, just because I'm generally trying to go a bit more eco-friendly.

divinedobbie
March 25th, 2014, 05:49 PM
You can buy dry shampoo without alcohol in it!

Can you please point me in the right direction, what the brand is or where I can buy it? :flower:

BrightEyes
March 25th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I use this dry shampoo from Nightblooming:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/121506296/moondust-herbal-dry-shampoo-2-oz?ref=favs_view_13

It has no alcohol or other bad ingredients, smells good and absorbs oil very well for me.

ErinLeigh
March 25th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I am going to order some of that. It looks excellent.

Larki
March 25th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Can you please point me in the right direction, what the brand is or where I can buy it? :flower:

https://www.etsy.com/search/handmade/bath_and_beauty/hair?q=dry+shampoo&ship_to=US :) Check out some of these!

JS09
March 25th, 2014, 11:30 PM
I use cocoa powder when I need it. I french braid my hair, then I sprinkle and rub it in a bit with my fingers and comb through it with a fine tooth comb. It works to distribute the powder and helps hide my scalp since my hair is so thin. Plus is smells like chocolate and doesn't give my hair that grey look I got with dry shampoo.

I do the same thing- and I find that it lasts longer for me than dry shampoo. Blondes can use arrowroot powder/cornstarch and redheads (apparently) can use cinnamon :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2014, 02:00 AM
I always found that dry shampoo never made my hair feel as clean as normal shampoo so stopped using it. Plus there is all that brushing to get it out of the hair as well...and I don't like to brush my hair very much.

Firefox7275
March 26th, 2014, 06:51 PM
There is a mini experiment on the Sciencey Hairblog on hairspray/ alcohol damage: IIRC the issue was soaking the hair which a good dry shampoo used properly will not do. You also only do the roots, maybe not even a full head.

Wet shampooing is potentially damaging to the whole length as you usually wet it all.