PDA

View Full Version : Split ends.... ugh

untangleme
March 24th, 2014, 11:54 PM
In the course of roughly 10 minutes I have removed about 20 split ends, and I am still finding more. My hair has not been cut in 2 years. What does this say about my hair? Is it time for a trim (minor? major? in between?), or should I keep doing what I'm doing? Also, is there anything I can do to prevent more splitting?

Wosie
March 25th, 2014, 02:36 AM
When was the last time you S&Dd (before this time)? Did you find as many split ends then? If you hadn't searched for split ends for a while, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Split ends come with the territory of long hair (for many people). You can still try to prevent them, of course.
Is your hair chemically treated in any way (e.g. coloured)? Have you heard about catnip rinses? What about deep treatments and conditioners, are you happy with the ones you use? Do your ends feel dry and brittle?

Number 3
March 25th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Do you use heat?

Crumpet
March 25th, 2014, 04:36 AM
It depends on your hair. 2 years w/o trims would not work on me without utter disaster, but I have quite different hair from yours. If you keep finding splits and your ends are velcroing (sticking together, tangling), I would say you should start trimming. You could take half an inch or so at a time until the problem is resolved. As Wosie said though, some people just get them with long hair and S&D them and they have no problems so try the S&D route first if you aren't velcroing.

Isilme
March 25th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I think very few people can go two years without a trim and have ends in good condition. I would say get a small trim around an inch and continue to S&D.

fairylover46
March 25th, 2014, 06:40 AM
I apply a tiny bit of petroleum jelly to the ends every time I braid it, which is every day. In winter or the heat of summer I apply it to the whole length of the braid, then style into a protective updo. The tiny bit of jelly is absorbed by the end of the day when I take it down, plus the ends are out of the sun and wind, and it really makes a difference in preventing splits in the first place. When I grew my hair to classic years ago, I did this every single day, got the ends evened up once a year, and never had splits, and I wasn't S&Ding throughout the year either, as I didn't know what that was back then. The petroleum jelly protected the ends, prevented splits, and really made my hair shiny. I have read on this forum about people trying it and not being able to get it to wash out easily, made hair look greasy, sticky, or whatever. Different hair types respond in different ways, you could give it a try and see if it works for you. This time growing it out I am nearing classic length and have not been to a salon in nine years. Have been self trimming to even out and still using petroleum jelly. I have recently found a few splits, but I think they were caused by dull scissors, as that is the only difference in my routine. (That is another important thing, sharp scissors!) If the jelly doesn't work for your hair, you could try olive oil, coconut oil, or sweet almond oil. Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!

Madora
March 25th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Here is Ktani's article on catnip rinses for split end problems:
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

nobeltonya
March 25th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Regular trims should keep the ends healthy and reduce many splits and damage, but also just in general being careful with your hair, regular oiling, wearing up when necessary.. :disco:

untangleme
March 25th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Oh wow! Thank you so much, everyone!

The last time I was on a S&D "mission" like this was probably about a year ago. My hair is not chemically treated, and I have not used heat in several months (I used my straightener once every few months), and I don't plan to use it often going forward.

Questions:

1.) I have very dark hair (nearly black), but will catnip rinses alter the color in any way?
2.) I've read on here that sleeping with your hair down can cause damage. However, when I sleep with my hair up, I get MASSIVE tangles. Is it worth it to deal with the tangles and put it up in the name of saving myself more splits?

Madora
March 25th, 2014, 08:10 PM
[COLOR="#A52A2A"]I'm mystified that you get MASSIVE tangles when you wear your hair up. What style are you using when you put it up at night? Are you detangling it thoroughly before you put it up?

I've been wearing my hair up and braided in a bun on top of my head for several years now and haven't had any problems with detangling. Takes all of 2 minutes to detangle in the morning.

Some members do sleep with their hair down and loose and don't have trouble with tangling. I'd say the majority of us confine it in some way..to help protect the delicate ends./COLOR]

untangleme
March 26th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I have no idea what that's about. When I used to put it up at night, it was always in a messy bun held by a metal free elastic. I would brush it (in what I now know was the wrong way), and then put it up.