PDA

View Full Version : Securing a Braid

SereneCurls
March 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Hello everyone. I like waring my hair in a braid quite a lot, it gives me the relaxed feeling of wearing it down while preventing tangles. To avoid using an elastic on the ends, I’d thought of using a mini flexi8 to secure the end of the braid, and I know others have done this as well. My problem is that when I’ve tried using the flexi, the braid seems to want to twist at the end, so the braid runs down my back and turns over at the end. When I take off the flexi and use an elastic, the same braid lies straight. Can anyone think of a solution for this? Is there something I’m not doing properly, or is this just not an option for me?

Madora
March 24th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Perhaps the mini Flexi is too heavy to be used as a braid holder? The tiny elastics are just about weightless and thus lets the braid stay flat.

KittyBird
March 24th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I use S and XS flexi-8s to secure my braids and I don't have that problem, but I only do side-braids over my shoulder. Maybe you need to place the flexi a bit differently? I also use satin scrunchies (https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/118541643/12pcs-of-color-satin-scrunchies-ponytail), which are lovely and work well.

Hairitic
March 24th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry to say I don't understand what the problem is. I use them and they slide off and disappear! :(. I have to use a ribbon tie first and place the Flexi above it to avoid losing it but it doesn't flip over? I may try doing the side braid from now on so that there isn't anything tugging on the Flexi, coaxing it down and off, never to be seen again!

alexis917
March 24th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Have you considered thin ribbon, instead?

Anje
March 24th, 2014, 07:05 PM
I like teeny claw clips as braid enders... until I put on a jacket, pull out my braid, and realize that the claw is no longer attached. :D

SereneCurls
March 25th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I use S and XS flexi-8s to secure my braids and I don't have that problem, but I only do side-braids over my shoulder. Maybe you need to place the flexi a bit differently? I also use satin scrunchies (https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/118541643/12pcs-of-color-satin-scrunchies-ponytail), which are lovely and work well.
I tried a diagonal French braid going over one shoulder, and it seemed to solve the problem. I have no idea why, but thanks for the sideways solution. :)