PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions or advice for a fake redhead gone wrong?

biansifredi
March 24th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Hi everyone! Well, on Saturday, I went to the hairdresser to get my hair dyed red from a super light blonde with roots a bit darker. Thing is, the stylist didn't seem to get it right and now I've got deep and shiny red hair and it is definitely not what I want. I was going more for a copper color, something a lot more natural so the change wouldn't be so drastic, considering I've been a blonde for my entire life.

What do you think I should do? I really don't want to go around with firey red hair for long, specially since I'm starting university tomorrow. I was thinking to apply either no amonia brown dye or a mix of brown hair dye and shampoo as to make it more soft and try my best not to kill my hair.

How do you think I will be able to achieve the color I want?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

https://24.media.tumblr.com/3e582158c7ad0c5772fb30dc1e68f284/tumblr_n2yhdqqh1c1qbixreo2_500.jpg
https://31.media.tumblr.com/8d46e0edb9abf055cac0ae2dd906ca65/tumblr_n2yhdqqh1c1qbixreo1_500.jpg

YesitsReal
March 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I know that when I had my hair dyed back blonde (to my natural color), the color came out a couple of shades too dark at first. It settled into a much lighter color a few days later. I would give it some time, treat it normally (read: don't do anything except wash & condition normally), and see how it comes out. Salon reds (unlike henna) get much lighter quickly. Don't panic; you may be ok.

Seeshami
March 24th, 2014, 02:13 PM
It will fade with washing all red dye does.

Applegirl84
March 24th, 2014, 03:52 PM
If you had it done at a salon, call them and ask them to fix it. They should do it free of charge.

ErinLeigh
March 24th, 2014, 04:38 PM
If you out brown dye on the red it could get that muddy color and may hold too well.
The red would almost act as a filler allowing the brown to adhere. Then you may have 2 layers if dyeyou are unhappy with. Color will not lift color so it may not go as light as you wish either.

It will fade up a bit in time so here are some options to speed it up.
Wash with sulfate shampoo
Olive oil soaks. Help to pull dye out quicker. Coat hair in olive oil overnight for a few nights. I have tried this and it worked for me.
Honey lightening. You could mix 2 tbsp of honey with 3/4 cup distilled water ( let sit for hour at room temp) and apply to damp hair. Leave on one hour. Have not tried this one but threads are encouraging.

Remove color using a color remover such as color opps or color b4. These work great on freshly dyed hair. I have used 2 times with success. Considering they tend to leave hair cooper once used you may end up with the color you wanted by using this. If it's too brassy you could always tone it also.

Good luck with it. Its good you have decided early. Its much easier to remove fresh dye.

Of the Fae
March 24th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Oil soaks are currently working for me to pull out my dye, I recommend it :)
It sucks to end up with a color you don't want. I really love that shade of red personally, but I can imagine it is totally different from what you wanted! Hmm, I'd go back to the hairdresser's, ask them to fix it. You'd have to get this out and somehow attempt a dark copper but it might seem rosy still..

ravenheather
March 24th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I would be cautious about going back to a stylist that messed it up in the first place. Who knows what you might end up with. I would wash it and try the oil soaks. It will fade quickly.

spidermom
March 24th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Red dye fades fast. You won't be stuck with it for long. Oil soaks followed by CO removal can only help, won't hurt.

ErinLeigh
March 24th, 2014, 10:27 PM
I would be cautious about going back to a stylist that messed it up in the first place. Who knows what you might end up with. I would wash it and try the oil soaks. It will fade quickly.

That is always how I think. I refuse to go back to get fixed when someone makes a mistake. I just think they will make it worse since they couldn't figure it out the first time.

OP let us know if you try the oil soaks. Its a great first step. I was wowed how well it pulled out color.

Rosetta
March 25th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Remove color using a color remover such as color opps or color b4. These work great on freshly dyed hair. I have used 2 times with success. Considering they tend to leave hair cooper once used you may end up with the color you wanted by using this. If it's too brassy you could always tone it also.
Seconding this all the way! These Colour B4 type products have worked like a charm in my experience.

Iolanthe13
March 25th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I used to get my hair dyed red at a salon about once a month. From experience, I suggest waiting a week before doing anything, as the colour will fade significantly - that way you won't unnecessarily subject your hair to harsh processing! Oil soaks do work - and I once removed dark brown dye entirely by washing my hair with dish soap a couple of times (with LOTS of moisture afterwards!).

Nightshade
March 25th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Thirding the ColorOops/Color B4. That'll really lighten it up.