PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hair Disaster!! (self-trim gone wrong)

Miss Hidley
September 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hey long haired community!
I just wanted to ask your advice. I'm growing my hair out, and it was due for a haircut, but I thought I would be clever and trim it myself...I have done it before, but never with layers.. Anyway I cut in the wrong direction and now I have a big chunk out of one side. Overall it is about 17-25 in layered, except one one side there is a really thick layer about 15in long! I'm so depressed becuase it has taken me AGES to get it to (nearly) BSL and now I have a chunk out of it. I booked an appointment at the hairdresser, but I'm afraid she'll want to chop it all off. Any bright ideas what I can do to keep it looking respectable without losing my last year's worth of growth?
thanks!!

cutastrophe
September 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Well, I can empathize. I have shoulder length hair...except on the right side of my head where a huge chunk of it is chin length. This shorter area was about 3 in long when it was orginally cut. It looks awful. And yeah, I did this to myself btw, lol. I've just been disguising it ever since by always keeping it up. If I were you, I wouldn't go to a stylist to correct a couple inches. But I don't ever go to stylists anyway. It'll grow back. :)

Elenna
September 15th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I have a piece of hair that is shorter than the rest. I just left it alone, so it's growing out eventually.

Sometimes the shorter piece shows, but mostly it just blends in with the rest of hair.

ljkforu
September 15th, 2008, 02:18 AM
You could go asymmetrical and do some fun color stuff with the wedge.

Shanarana
September 15th, 2008, 02:26 AM
A hairdresser will most likely tell you that your hair will need to be cut shorter for it to all look even. I wouldn't even risk that. I would leave it be and put your hair up so that you can forget about it for a while until it grows out more.

Arctic_Mama
September 15th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I would just disguise it in an updo until your shortest layer is long enough to tolerate, then even it up. I don't have a chunk out but I do have a layer than is five inches shorter than the rest and once that particular layer gets to waist, assuming it's not needing damage control cutting first, I think I will chop off the bottom layers to even it up that way. In the meantime pins are your friend, as are friendly updos like twists that can mask all sorts of hair sins and protect it at the same time.

Good luck, I am sorry the cutting went awry in the first place :(

Miss Hidley
September 15th, 2008, 04:52 AM
cool! thanks for your advice. Its nice to know I'm not the only one sporting a slightly odd-shaped hairdo! I think I'll just stick to bobby pins and twists etc, especially if that has the potential to kill the split end problem too :cool:
thanks!

Miss Hidley
September 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Update: In the end I did go to the hairdresser, thinking I'd just ask her to do a small trim and leave the messy layers as they were... Unfortunately I TOTALLY regretted my decision and I really wish I had just stayed away from the salon.

I explained to her that I was growing it and asked for her advice, suggested that she just leave the bad bit and gradually cut the rest up to the same length. She said all the right things and seemed to understand but then when it came to cutting it, she did something completely different- now I have layers starting around my face, and graduating to about 22in in length at the back.

Despite asking her when I made the appointment not to use a blow drier, she still dried it with a diffuser, then decided that looked stupid and put it in ringlet things instead and didn't ask me at any stage what I wanted done with it..... I was just in total shock by this stage.... I said to her I thought it was too much off and she was like "yeah I know you're growing it but it had to go." What can I say.

I went home and washed it (this is the scary part for curly types) and now I have a wavy bob, only rescued from being a terrible triangle do because of the layers. I'm furious! I really wish I'd listened to your advice and just kept pinning it up. It seems like no matter what I say to hair dressers I get the same result- shoulder length with layers around my face, and dried with a diffuser and tons of product- and now I would say I've lost more than I even would have if I had just chopped it off myself...Newbies beware, there are some really rotten stylists out there, and it seems especially risky if you have wavy hair....

I'm trying to look on the bright side- at least there are no split ends, and if I go home for xmas I can get my Mum to tidy it up then (the only person on the planet who can cut my hair properly it seems) but I'm just depressed - I was just starting to enjoy the length and really just wanted to clean it up, and now I'll have to start again....

Anyway, sorry to rant, I just wanted get that off my chest :( and thank everyone who gave me sensible advice (pity I was too dumb to listen...)

FrannyG
September 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience. :blossom: Believe me, many of us have ignored good advice here at one time or another, only to regret it. I know I have.

Your hair will grow. That's the best thing about hair, isn't it? :flowers:

SarieQ
September 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM
:grouphug: I have totally been where you are many times. I have the same hair type as you and I always lost all my length everytime I went to the salon. It wasn't only the fact that it was my hair and that I was trying to grow it, but that they disregarded all I'd said and disrespected me by cutting it all off. I do my own hair now and will never step foot in a salon again. It always made me so mad when stylists would tell me that my hair was too thin to have long and that it would look stringy--I have just as much right to have it long as any other thick haired person!

So take care and treat yourself to something special. It will grow again! :flowers:

Forlorn Reverie
September 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
*hugs* I'm sorry you had such a bad time with the stylist. I know that for me, every time I would go to a salon that required appointments, they'd butcher my hair. I won't even go for bang trims anymore to that type of place. I have better luck with the cheap walk-in places, because the stylists actually seem to listen to me.

Lamb
September 20th, 2008, 03:03 PM
*hugs* I'm sorry you had such a bad time with the stylist. I know that for me, every time I would go to a salon that required appointments, they'd butcher my hair. I won't even go for bang trims anymore to that type of place. I have better luck with the cheap walk-in places, because the stylists actually seem to listen to me.

That has been my experience as well. I guess underpaid stylists don't feel tempted to do more than you asked for, so if you want a small trim, that's all you gonna get. :)

Forlorn Reverie
September 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
That has been my experience as well. I guess underpaid stylists don't feel tempted to do more than you asked for, so if you want a small trim, that's all you gonna get. :)
I think you may be right. The last time I went to a salon was to get my hair done (washed, dried, styled, NOT cut) for my best friends wedding. She made the appointment with one of the "top" stylists in the area. I was quoted some outrageous amount for this, around $75.

The first thing out of his mouth when he saw my virgin, almost bra strap length hair was "Fabulous! I never see hair your length that isn't layered! I can do so much with this!" I quipped back "Fine, just keep your scissors to yourself!"

He didn't touch his scissors. Instead, as soon as I was back in the chair after the shampoo he decided to razor my hair, without asking. I was too shocked after the first swipe to stop him, then I figured that it was already messed up, it would look better if I just let him finish. Then to add insult to injury, he wanted to charge me extra for cutting my hair. I refused to pay, and haven't set foot in a "salon" since.

Ha! I just realized this happened almost 10 years ago, and I'm still bitter! Of course, I'd just spent more than 2 years getting all the layers out of my hair, so I guess I'm entitled to a little bitterness ;)

30isthenewblack
September 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM

After too many bad experiences, I've decided to trim my hair myself but if you really want to go to a hairdresser, I've also found cheaper places like "Just Cut" are more likely to listen to you and do what you want.

Miss Hidley
September 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM
thanks for all your support! I've just been wearing it up and reminding myself it will grow... hopefully the pain will fuel me to take very good care of it during the winter... Interesting what you say about the cheaper salons- whilst this was a Salon Director I've usually had cheap salon cuts before. Actually I thought that was the problem, because it seemed like such a lottery- on some occassions I got a stylist who did precisely what I asked, but as many times they ignored my wishes and just cut the latest trendy style on my head. Doesn't help I suppose that I have the kind of hair/face that can often be adapted to whatever that month's fashion is..Anyway thank goodness for hair vitamins (gives me something to do instead of just feeling bad..)

Jessie Rose
September 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM

I've had the same experience. In a salon, one inch somehow becomes three or four inches. In a cheap place one inch is one inch, and you just have a pay a little ;)

Miss Hidley
September 22nd, 2008, 04:43 AM
yeah I think a lot of the expensive salons are busy trying to make your hair look "fabulous" in just one cut and chopping a lot off is a fast way of making it look much healthier without you having to take good care of it. I guess they think that once you see how "fabulous" you look, you'll be delighted and rave about them... its all about the short term really..

Curlsgirl
September 22nd, 2008, 06:55 AM
I just want to add that if you DO go again to a salon don't be afraid to make it clear before AND if you see her start to do something you don't like STOP HER/HIM! In the blow drying incident, you should have just stopped her immediately instead of letting her continue. On the trimming/cutting you can ask them EXACTLY what they intend to do and then ask to see EXACTLY how much and where they are going to cut. Don't be timid. This is YOUR hair and they are paid to do it like you want it!!! Sorry about what you went through. I stayed away from salons for a while too. Now I am very careful to speak up and be very clear in every step what I want.

Morag
September 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
I've been cutting my own hair for years for just that reason. The last three times I went to stylists (yes, I am a slow learner), I told them very distinctly what I wanted done and they decided to do something completely different. At least when I cut my own hair, if something goes wrong it's my own fault and I don't feel so helpless and betrayed about it.

I recommend you complain to the salon (assuming you never plan to go back). Often they will refund your money. It won't bring back your hair, but might result in the stylist learning to listen a little better, and save someone else's hair down the road.

So sorry this happened to you! :flower:

jenny'sdreaming
September 22nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
Actually I thought that was the problem, because it seemed like such a lottery- on some occassions I got a stylist who did precisely what I asked, but as many times they ignored my wishes and just cut the latest trendy style on my head.

When you get the good cut you need make a note of where and who it was. Next time you need a trim just call ahead to see if "so and so" is working that day and if not then ask when they do. Ypu may have to adjust your schedule a bit but then you do if you are trying to make a appointment with a specific hairstylist anyway. Another thought is that a few people hear have had better luck going to a (traditionally) men's barber rather than the fancy salon if all you want is a simple small trim.

Tressie
September 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
I just want to add that if you DO go again to a salon don't be afraid to make it clear before AND if you see her start to do something you don't like STOP HER/HIM! In the blow drying incident, you should have just stopped her immediately instead of letting her continue. On the trimming/cutting you can ask them EXACTLY what they intend to do and then ask to see EXACTLY how much and where they are going to cut. Don't be timid. This is YOUR hair and they are paid to do it like you want it!!! Sorry about what you went through. I stayed away from salons for a while too. Now I am very careful to speak up and be very clear in every step what I want.
I agree with Curlsgirl! Although I tend to be a shy person myself, so I guess I'll just stay away from stylists I don't think I could contend with.

It made me think of an episode on the old television series Taxi. Marilu Henner went to a very high priced salon and they didn't think she was classy enough (cab driver) to merit their best service and ended making her look simply grotesque! Of course Judd Hirsch (voice of reason) became indignant and was going to help her straighten it out. However, when they arrived, even he was intimidated by these sneering snobs! It was funny, but it made it's point! It sure didn't make me want to run to the salon!
Now I don't mean to imply that all salons are guilty of this practice, but enough of you have had similar experinces to make me sure we need to know what to expect from our stylist, or at least be gutsy enough to interrupt any bad moves as Curlsgirl said!

Amara
September 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Nothing useful to add beyond the wisdom already here, but I wanted to say I too have been there, and try not to let it bug you too much. Happy growing! :flowers:

hobbitgirl
September 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
[quote=Miss Hidley;275246]Despite asking her when I made the appointment not to use a blow drier, she still dried it with a diffuser, then decided that looked stupid and put it in ringlet things instead and didn't ask me at any stage what I wanted done with it..... I was just in total shock by this stage.... I said to her I thought it was too much off and she was like "yeah I know you're growing it but it had to go." What can I say.

I went home and washed it (this is the scary part for curly types) and now I have a wavy bob, only rescued from being a terrible triangle do because of the layers. I'm furious! I really wish I'd listened to your advice and just kept pinning it up. It seems like no matter what I say to hair dressers I get the same result- shoulder length with layers around my face, and dried with a diffuser and tons of product- and now I would say I've lost more than I even would have if I had just chopped it off myself...Newbies beware, there are some really rotten stylists out there, and it seems especially risky if you have wavy hair....

/quote]

I'm so sorry that you had that experience and I've been there too. I have curly hair, went to a salon with a picture of a curly style and basically said "do this". The girl said sure, snip snip...blow blow. Spun me around to look in the mirror and I said "Umm...didn't you notice the curls in the picture?". So she takes out a CURLING IRON. I have CURLY HAIR? DUH. I really hate stylists who either think they know best, or figure that it's only hair and it'll grow back if you don't like it.

Yes, it's hair and it will grow back but you are the customer and you deserve to get what you ask for especially if you take the time to make yourself understood.

I've seen lots of posts here about treatments to speed up growth so you might try some of those. Is your hair still long enough to get into an updo or do some of the layers now hang out?

Miss Hidley
September 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM
I've seen lots of posts here about treatments to speed up growth so you might try some of those. Is your hair still long enough to get into an updo or do some of the layers now hang out?

Yes its long enough to put in an updo if I use some pins to keep the layers at bay, and I can still braid it for sleeping, so ironically I will just keep pinning it until it grows...As for the hair treatments I will search around- so far I have a leftover bottle of hairformula 37 vitamins, but as I didn't take them very diligently when I bought them I still don't know if they work for me. Guess i'll find out!

I agree with Curlsgirl! Although I tend to be a shy person myself, so I guess I'll just stay away from stylists I don't think I could contend with.

Now I don't mean to imply that all salons are guilty of this practice, but enough of you have had similar experinces to make me sure we need to know what to expect from our stylist, or at least be gutsy enough to interrupt any bad moves as Curlsgirl said!

Yeah unfortunately Curlsgirl is right, I should have stopped her, but I could not imagine myself doing that- I guess I just naturally trust people, and it didn't really occur to me that I could stop her... I don't have a strong personality and I find it extremely hard to remember what I want and focus on myself when I'm faced with someone bossy like a hairdresser. Its like I just get overtaken by the other person. I think the best thing for me is just to learn to cut it myself.