PDA

View Full Version : Catching my hair in the act (warning: pic heavy)

rena
March 23rd, 2014, 10:25 PM
Hey everyone! Long time no post.

I've been wondering about something more and more lately, and I think the amount of thought I've been giving it actually merits a post, + pictures. During my time here, I've rambled in a blog here and there about shed hairs I've found that I've seemed to have caught in the act of changing texture. I could only describe it in words before, but now I can finally share pics.

Here are various shed hairs I've happened to find and notice... Mood swings...? In the pattern. I've folded tape between the part of the hairs where the texture starts to change to help keep the two parts separate, and to keep from losing the hairs. Just to clarify, all of the hairs have been wet with water and air dried, so the textures are real. The loosely textured parts are the recently grown portion, and the ends are curly. This is how the majority of all of them are, including the others I have that are not pictured. (And there are many others where these few came from ). Also... For the past 4 years, I haven't done anything to my hair. No coloring, no flat ironing, no blow drying, no nothing. So no drastic change in routine for me. I have multiple textures all over my head, and now, I'm really wondering just what I'll have in a few years from now, if this keeps up.

I apologize in advance for overly large images, but hopefully it will help you see the hairs better.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/Picture17_zps9aad0e21.jpg
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/Picture16_zps994db365.jpghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/Picture6_zpsc048b9df.jpg
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/Picture5_zpsf2d0288a.jpghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/Picture4_zps9a30bd82.jpghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/Picture3_zps9cc554c3.jpghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/Picture1_zps347d3d41.jpghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/diffangles_zps678169ac.pnghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/OhHelloThar/Weird%20hair/angle1_zps369d5431.jpg

I'm curious if there is anyone else who has experienced this, and if you have, what was the end result...? Did you see a definite change in your overall hair? I'm very intrigued by this.

Thanks everyone.:flowers:

Also, I'm not certain if I know how to post pictures correctly, so I'm sorry if they don't show up. I'll try to fix that if I can.

Jumper
March 23rd, 2014, 10:40 PM
I can't really tell anything from the picture but today looking at my hair I found a coarse blond SHINY like metallic hair, but a the end it was thinner and brunette like the rest of my hair. I don't dye my hair so I can only assume it grew out that way. It was also on the underside which is rarely exposed to the sun, plus sun wouldn't make it thicker.

Out of curiosity I pulled it out (I guess I'm a little less obsessive than most people about losing hair, lol) and looked at it and the root end was thinner, brunette, and split badly about one inch into the length.

It was definitely interesting to see that it grew out that way.

rena
March 23rd, 2014, 10:44 PM
Wow! That's quite strange, but very interesting. I wonder why it grew that way.

RoseofCimarron
March 23rd, 2014, 11:07 PM
Those hairs are awesome, rena! :thumbsup: This is exactly what is happening to my hair. I have had brown, fine, straight/wavy-ish hair for most of my life, and then all of a sudden I noticed I was getting very coarse black (or possibly dark brown) curly hairs all over my head. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my overall hair, but it does curl when wet. Unfortunately, the rest of my hair does not clump together in a curl pattern, it just sticks up in curly hairs. I sometimes wonder what would happen if I cut my hair shorter, I just recently got over a "I want a change" phase without any damage done. :) Keep us posted, I think your hairs are cool!

darklyndsea
March 23rd, 2014, 11:17 PM
My hair does this. For me it's not a change in my hair type, my hair just doesn't get curly until it's a certain length, and even then it's at the ends. My hypothesis is that I never get enough moisture penetrating my hair until it's had enough damage done to it that enough moisture can finally penetrate it.

rena
March 24th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Those hairs are awesome, rena! :thumbsup: This is exactly what is happening to my hair. I have had brown, fine, straight/wavy-ish hair for most of my life, and then all of a sudden I noticed I was getting very coarse black (or possibly dark brown) curly hairs all over my head. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my overall hair, but it does curl when wet. Unfortunately, the rest of my hair does not clump together in a curl pattern, it just sticks up in curly hairs. I sometimes wonder what would happen if I cut my hair shorter, I just recently got over a "I want a change" phase without any damage done. :) Keep us posted, I think your hairs are cool!

Aw, thanks! And thanks for your feedback! It helps to know there is someone else who seems to be experiencing something similar. I also wonder what I'd be left with if I went and chopped my hair to a few inches. Won't really do that, but its still intriguing.

And yes, I shall try to keep you posted if I can :).

rena
March 24th, 2014, 12:05 AM
My hair does this. For me it's not a change in my hair type, my hair just doesn't get curly until it's a certain length, and even then it's at the ends. My hypothesis is that I never get enough moisture penetrating my hair until it's had enough damage done to it that enough moisture can finally penetrate it.

This is always what I would first think too, actually.

redtuss
March 24th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Could be crinkles maybe?
A hair that gets pulled and becomes spirally/crinklish by the damage? Third picture is a definite crinkle. Not as fun though!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 24th, 2014, 01:40 AM
I have found ONE hair like this and haven't been able to explain it. Just a mystery - they sure are odd:)

joflakes
March 24th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I found one like this once. Mystery to me!

Wisé
March 24th, 2014, 05:05 AM
My hairs look all that way. For me it is just the weight of the length pulling down the curl. I am not as curly as you are, though, so I always considered it normal. I've had my hair doing that for years and the overall texture didn't really change. I cut a short face framing curl lately and it curls neatly up to the roots.

rena
March 24th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Could be crinkles maybe?
A hair that gets pulled and becomes spirally/crinklish by the damage? Third picture is a definite crinkle. Not as fun though!

Eeesh, no, not fun! Oh yes, some are indeed crinkley, and probably got that way just how you described from my usual grooming habits. Others are a definite curl type, and likely not from damage though. Keeps me wondering though!

rena
March 24th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Very odd indeed!

Arwenlily
March 24th, 2014, 01:08 PM
This has happened to me before. At first I thought they were crinkles but then I noticed that the thickness of the strands with that curl pattern were almost twice as thick as my other strands!

Jonquil
March 24th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I'm noticing a lot of hair like this as well, only in the opposite direction so that my straight-ish hair is getting much more texture. Thank goodness, I thought I was going crazy thinking the texture is changing, definitely didn't know it could happen!

My hair is very fine and some of my new growth is what I would consider to be coarse, plus it has some bends and random curls in certain parts. It's definitely interesting. Though I do love my fine hair, some added overall thickness would not be a bad thing at all :)

maybeinthemtns
March 24th, 2014, 10:54 PM
I've never had this, exactly, before. But I do have a few strands, sprinkled here and there, that are coarser than my usual hair - oh, and they are white! I am in my mid-twenties, lol. Their texture is very different from the rest of my hair, too. Much thicker. Pretty weird. My hair is all over the place as far as being straight or curly so I just take that stuff in stride. I have ringlets by my ears and stick-straight hair in the front and waves in the back. Who knows what's going on with it, haha.

RoseofCimarron
March 25th, 2014, 12:36 AM
I washed my hair tonight, and I caught a look at myself in the mirror. I was shocked to find out that so much of my hair is growing in this way! I still have a lot of fine straight hairs, but there are so many coarse curly ones! And they really stick out of my hair, I kinda look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. :) I've been thinking of cutting one piece short (like Wise`), but I have just gotten my horribly botched "layers" from 5 years ago to fingertip and I'm too scared to cut a piece short again. :lol:

Number 3
March 25th, 2014, 04:06 AM
I sometimes have crinkles. But when closely observing them I notice a change in the thickness of the hair strand. Probably nutrition related? Like 1/8 of an inch is thick then 1/4 of an inch is thin and so on, and with these transitions the crinkling happens, with each thickness the hair strand creates a curl/wave like pattern where at the end it becomes a crinkle!

FuzzyBlackWaves
March 25th, 2014, 08:08 AM
My hair is all different textures when it dries naturally with no conditioner or anything. I think it's possible to have two hairs types on one head.