PDA

View Full Version : Do you cringe every time you feel a hair snap?

MadeiraD
March 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM
I'm always very gentle when finger combing my hair or putting it up but occasionally a pin or stick or my nail will snag and I just cringe so much if I feel a hair snap or break. Anyone else get this? Tips for minimizing the damage?

cathair
March 23rd, 2014, 08:06 PM
Yes :/ It makes me cringe a lot. I even got to the point where if I hear a hair snap I say 'ouch'. I don't even know why, it doesn't normally hurt, it's become a snap reaction [no pun intended!]. I suppose it reminds me to try harder not to do it. My only advice is make sure you set aside enough time to de-tangle your hair. The snapping usually happens for me if I need to do it in a hurry, even if I think I am being really gentle.

Steffid87
March 23rd, 2014, 08:30 PM
I HATE this! I'm trying to by some TotC hair sticks, but until then I only have a crochet hook to put my buns up with and it almost feels like it's ripping hair out sometimes :(

Lindseyh
March 23rd, 2014, 08:41 PM
I think a lot of the time a look of disgust flits across my face. I will also "pursue" the broken hair if possible to see if I need to snip the end. I have hair shears strategically around the house....

Monkshood
March 23rd, 2014, 09:00 PM
Ugh. Yes. For me, it mostly happens when I'm trying to insert a stick or fork into a too-tight bun. It took me a while to realize that I didn't need to wrap my hair up so tightly. I thought the updos wouldn't hold if I made them looser, but it's the opposite.

Crumpet
March 23rd, 2014, 09:03 PM
Yes! It happened today when a hair got caught in my glasses hinge. I'm really avoiding a rhyme here...

spidermom
March 23rd, 2014, 09:18 PM
Yup, I kinda do. No big thing, but there's definitely a bit of wincing involved.

Lirona
March 23rd, 2014, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I cringe. Unless it happens when I'm braiding, then I just get irritated and curse my fine hair. My texture makes it easy for single strands to get caught in the wrong section, and I don't always catch them before they snap. :angry:

Nadine <3
March 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM
A little bit, yes. Mostly it just reminds me to slow down what I'm doing. I get antsy with detangling sometimes...I've been known to start at the top of my head with my comb and try doing it that way every once in a while when I'm in a hurry...*blushes*

Jessleigh
March 23rd, 2014, 10:05 PM
Yes!! More so now that I'm being more careful to prevent damage.

Madora
March 23rd, 2014, 10:17 PM
I'm always very gentle when finger combing my hair or putting it up but occasionally a pin or stick or my nail will snag and I just cringe so much if I feel a hair snap or break. Anyone else get this? Tips for minimizing the damage?

The best preventative is going slowly, particularly when combing or brushing. Also, don't hold your comb with a death grip. Hold it lightly, like it was alive and you're afraid you'll hurt it if you hold it too tightly. If you (general you) were jewelry, take it off while combing or brushing so you don't inadvertently snag your hair. You can lessen the opportunities for snaps, etc....but this means slowing down a little to avoid damage.

LauraLongLocks
March 24th, 2014, 12:51 AM
My wedding ring is sometimes a challenge for me and will get snagged in my hair when I'm putting it up. I really don't want to take it off, because I forget to put it back on when I am finished with whatever I'm doing. I have decided it's more important to me to wear my ring than to worry about the hair and forget to put the ring back on. So, I'm as careful as can be, but I still cringe when a hair is snapped off by it.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 24th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Yes I cringe when I snap a hair. I do take my ring off when I do my hair otherwise it can catch in my hair. Still sometimes even though I am careful a hair will catch and break when I am detangling, and I can't help it - I wince.

Rio040113
March 24th, 2014, 03:24 AM
I do cringe a bit, I try and console myself that it's ''just one hair'' but it still makes me wince a little :lol:

minxe
March 24th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Nah, I like to think of it as culling the herd. :whip:

queenovnight
March 24th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Definitely. I used to always wear my hair down, so I never noticed it.. but now that I've started wearing it up more often, I notice myself cringing when I hear any snapping - or even when the wind blows lol.

Tini'sNewHair
March 24th, 2014, 04:19 AM
My toddler is what does most of the damage - even if my hair is in buns or braids at nights she somehow manages to snap a few strands :justy:

Wisé
March 24th, 2014, 04:52 AM
Yes :/ It makes me cringe a lot. I even got to the point where if I hear a hair snap I say 'ouch'. I don't even know why, it doesn't normally hurt, it's become a snap reaction.

This. I always scare people saying ouch flinching when all that happened was a snapped hair.

Marika
March 24th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Yes, I cringe too. I think this is the reason why I don't like finger combing! When I'm using a comb, I can't really feel my hair snapping. Stupid, I know. I can still hear it :brickwall

schnibbles
March 24th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Nah, I like to think of it as culling the herd. :whip:

:rolling:

I will admit, the snapping sound does unnerve me every time.

CremeTron
March 24th, 2014, 07:33 AM
I do a little bit. Usually because I am being very careful to remove a kirby grip or a claw thingy and then even though I am being so careful I still hear a snap!

Nini
March 24th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Nope, I don't. My routine has worked just fine for me for a number of years, and I still have plenty of hair left on my head:)

FuzzyBlackWaves
March 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM
My nails go through a stage of getting very long then all breaking at once and I definitely wince when my hair gets caught in them.

Bagginslover
March 24th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I cringe. Unless it happens when I'm braiding, then I just get irritated and curse my fine hair. My texture makes it easy for single strands to get caught in the wrong section, and I don't always catch them before they snap. :angry:

This is me too. I have a REALY fine patch in the back of my head, and when I braid, its like each hair is actually a tiny octopus, grabbing onto the other sections as I cross them! I always snap at leats one hair, every time I braid. Lucky my hair is so thick really!

Vrindi
March 24th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Yeah. Mine will catch on my callused hands (thanks, rock climbing!). That's when I run for the hand lotion/coconut oil!

~honeyflower~
March 24th, 2014, 10:17 AM
A little bit, more like winsing.

ravenreed
March 24th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I wince too, unless I pull it out of my scalp by the root, which happens quite a bit. Then it is more than a cringe or a wince!

TheHowlingWolf
March 24th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Yes! I hate it when that happens!!! Sometimes I even cry out in frustration lol.

chen bao jun
March 24th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I never used to care and in fact used to rip the ends off my hair myself if they were tangled and and annoying me--with my fingers. But since I started wanting to grow long hair, it really bothers me. Everytime an end snaps off, its like, wow, now it will take even longer to reach my goal....which is taking crazy long because I'm curly.
I am so obsessively careful now.

Skade
March 24th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Yes, I do. I hate when I hear those snaps!

Taenarian
March 24th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Just reading about feeling a hair snap makes me cringe.

Arciela
March 24th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Just reading about feeling a hair snap makes me cringe.

Haha same here! I cringed when I saw the thread title >.>

Kimberly
March 24th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Detangling my hair this morning, I heard a snap and I said, "Yay!" Because it means my hair is doing well enough to stretch and then snap when broken, instead of no snaps and the tiny little "pfft" sounds of weak hair breaking easily. :)

dancingpoet
March 24th, 2014, 05:56 PM
When I hear a hair snap, I may cringe a little- then I take it as my reminder to slow down and be more careful so it doesn't happen again.

trolleypup
March 24th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Yup. Usually when I am detangling and not being as relaxed and gentle as I know I ought to be. So *guilty wince*.

lapushka
March 24th, 2014, 06:37 PM
The last time I inadvertently pulled out a hair (hasn't happened in *years*) was a few months ago. I couldn't believe it - and it damn well hurt! That hair was for sure not ready to come out!

MadeiraD
March 24th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I got one caught in my hair stick dangle today

melusine963
March 25th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Yep, the sound makes me cringe. Even if it's on someone else's head.

cherrybird
March 25th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I remember I had an appointment at a hair salon when I was younger, and I was complaining about a halo of frizz around my head. The stylist asked me "you know the snapping sound when you brush your hair? That's your hair breaking. Stop that." I did. NOW that sound makes me cringe.

see_turtle
March 25th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Yes I do every time!

nakima
March 26th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Yes I do cringe and what an awful sound it makes. Makes me shiver thinking abt it ha!

jacqueline101
March 26th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Yes :/ It makes me cringe a lot. I even got to the point where if I hear a hair snap I say 'ouch'. I don't even know why, it doesn't normally hurt, it's become a snap reaction [no pun intended!]. I suppose it reminds me to try harder not to do it. My only advice is make sure you set aside enough time to de-tangle your hair. The snapping usually happens for me if I need to do it in a hurry, even if I think I am being really gentle.

I do the same I say ouch and act like I'm in pain. Like you stated it doesn't hurt.

Stray_mind
March 27th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I don't cringe, but i get a very bad feeling.. I get kinda sad actually.. I try not to break my hair.