PDA

View Full Version : Before LHC...

bunnylake
March 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
Let's talk about our hair care routines BEFORE LHC! Who taught you to take care of your hair? How did your old routine differ from your current one? What "hair care myths" did you believe before LHC? What lead you to discover LHC? And whatever other "life before LHC" stories you want to add.

I don't think I ever knew how to wash my hair correctly. I used to just mush shampoo all over my hair, glob on a ton of condition everywhere, rinse, rip a brush through it and that was that. That's what my mom must have taught me, I don't remember. Then as a teenager into my early 20s I flat ironed, teased, bleached, dyed etc without any protective sprays or treatments! Then I decided I wanted to grow my hair out super long and healthy. I overheard a long haired acquaintance talking about using lavender and rosemary oils for scalp massages, and using the no-poo method to help her hair grow out healthy. I decided to do an Internet search on natural hair care and found the long hair livejournal community. I was totally washing my hair WRONG. I had no clue I should have only been massaging the shampoo into my scalp, for instance. I honestly can't imagine how the other way doesn't result in people losing hand fulls of hair in the shower every time... just piling the hair on top of the head and smushing the suds around. Eek. But that's what I was doing. Just learning how to correctly and effectively wash my hair made a huge difference. When I found LHC I did a lot of experimenting with herbs and oils and wash methods. My current routine is wash my scalp with a gentle shampoo, condition the ends, use a light serum as a leave-in. Overnight coconut oil treatments weekly. Henna and SMT when I feel like I need it. It's pretty simple!
Now I wonder how other people learn to care for their hair. It's a little strange sometimes. Like my stepdaughter, who is turning 12 this spring, has no clue how to properly wash her hair. I noticed when she comes out of the shower her roots are still dirty and it seems like she just slops conditioner all over the place. I asked her about it and yup, that's what she was doing! I gave her a few tips and now her hair is looking much nicer. I guess her mother never thought to teach her how to do it, or perhaps her mother doesn't know either lol.
After I cut my hair from hip to chin, someone at work said I must use so much less shampoo. Nope, I use the same amount, since I only use it for my scalp and let the run off clean the length. It makes me think most people use shampoo from root to tip and pile it on top of their heads. I guess that could work for some people, but it's incredibly damaging.

Ok, enough babbling. Your turn. :)

GrowingOut
March 23rd, 2014, 03:06 PM
I had hair to my Mid-back, and always wore it down. The schedule was:

Wake up with a tangled mess.

Have mommy rip a brush through it until I was old enough to brush myself, and learned to start from the bottom.

Wear it down all the time until it caught on everything.

Now it's braided, washed without piling it on my head, and relieved I found this place before doing something such as chopping it all off or bleaching, as is common with my sisters.

bunnylake
March 23rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
That's another thing! I just never thought to braid it or bun it before bed.

Steffid87
March 23rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
I did the whole "use lots of shampoo, and pile all of my hair on my head to clean it" approach because I had oily hair. I used conditioner only on the length, like ears down. Since 5th grade when I had my first perm, my hair was treated horribly from perms/colorings/heat tools. In 2009 I had highlights put in my hair, and I vowed to never chemically-process it like that again once the tips were SNAPPING off! I still continued with the heat styling and blowdrying, but no chemical treatments since then. Last year I found the no-poo method, and found that yes, it did help the greasiness on my scalp, but it left my ends too dry just using the ACV rinse. Boo to having oily head and dry ends! Now, I've noticed a significant difference just doing CWC instead of washing the entire length. Now I'm learning a bit about protective hairstyles, but since I'm only BSL I'm having trouble with finding buns that hold. The search is still ongoing!

blue_eyes
March 23rd, 2014, 03:25 PM
Prior to LHC I'd been doing horrendous things to my hair. I'd been dyeing it for 10 years. It started as red, then I dyed it black, then bleached it trying to go blonde & when it didn't look good I'd dye it black again (repeated this cycle three times in about 2 years). I did manage, by some miracle, to grow my hair to waist length, but it was very damaged. When I bleached it again, for the last time, some sections of it broke off in big chunks (some of which were only 4 inches long) and this finally got me to stop the madness! I remember washing my hair and having massive amounts of hair just coming out; at first I thought I was going bald! Once it dried I realized it had just broken off, the majority of it was now at my shoulders. It was such a horrifying and eye-opening experience, I knew if I wanted my long hair back I'd have to take better care of it. I got some of the major damage from the ends cut off; the longest pieces of hair were APL & the shortest was at my chin. It was a mess but I was determined to try and keep the appearance of length until it all just grew back. Shortly after this experience I found LHC & stopped dyeing my hair. It's been about 7 months since I touched any dye, and while the difference between my dyed and virgin color looks awful, my hair is already feeling infinitely better.

On top of the frequent dyeing/bleaching I was also constantly blow-drying, using a curling or flat iron, and never really gave my hair any love (no oilings, treatments or protective products). I'd wash it (all of it, not just the scalp) every single day with sulfate shampoo and then smother it with conditioner (including the roots). Looking back on my bad habits I find it a miracle my hair ever made it to WL while I was abusing it so badly.

Nadine <3
March 23rd, 2014, 03:27 PM
My hair care routine before LHC wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. I think a lot of peoples hair can handle what I was doing okay, but my very fine hair got very sad, very quickly! I was washing everyday with harsh shampoo and a coney conditioner, then I piled a coney serum on top of that. Then I blow dried while brushing my hair with a paddle brush upside down. I did this everyday for a few years. I fell into the "you have fine hair, you can't grow it long, it will look bad" trap so it was always around shoulder length with lots of layering in it. I liked it for awhile, but I let it grow out to APL, then it July 2013 I realized my hair was a frazzled mess. I read some stuff about harsh detergents in shampoo drying out your hair, so I figured that was my problem. I got some burts bees shampoo and conditioner and tried to use it with my coney serums. The cones built up and made my hair feel really weird. I ddn't know what a cone was...I thought it was dry, so I piled more serum on. The bottle said it was argan oil, I didn't know any better. My hair just got worse and worse feeling. I went and got my hair cut off to about an inch away from shoulder with a ton of layers. I hated the cut, so I went home and googled how to grow out a bad haircut and that's when I found LHC. I then realized I could have just shampoo'd my hair and it would have been okay. I probably didn't need to cut it off :/

Now I wash every 4 days, scalp only. Blow dryer on cold for my bangs only. I do overnight oilings before every wash. I detangle with a wide tooth comb. I do updo's to protect my hair, but only when I feel like wearing one. I like enjoying my hair down for the most part, but I do like braids for sleeping and hiding slightly dirty hair.

My hair is pretty happy these days. Growing like a weed!

two_wheels
March 23rd, 2014, 03:33 PM
I did a lot of, um, benign neglect. So didn't wash every day. But when I did, I shampooed twice and put a small blob of conditioner on top of my head and hoped for the best. Then ripped a bristle brush to it as soon as I got out of the shower, and wore it in a tight ponytail every day. I would pull it in sections to tighten the ponytail, too. I also had no idea about silicones, often wondering why it would look so lank and frizzy then I would change shampoo or something and it would get better for a while.

I had major problems with frizz, split ends and general uncontrollableness, and I felt very hard done by about that because I never used to blow dry or dye.

Before and after... Left is in March 2011, right before I hennaed for the first time. I was not trying to take an unflattering hair photo, it just looked like that all the time! Right is now. The old hair is all gone, and I'm nearly back to that length again now. It's darker because the condition is better/I got older, but I really don't mind about that.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140319_20110324_zpsac06387d.jpg

ETA what I changed: no more cones, comb lots of conditioner through all my hair, until this year I still brushed gently with a Denman when damp but now fingercomb only until dry (phasing out my bad habit after pondering the truth of some posts by Madora), try to avoid ponytails. Recently overnight coconut oil too. I have zero split ends currently.

Crumpet
March 23rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
Remarkably, I thought I took great care of my hair pre-LHC. Here are my hair sins:

- Washed daily with hair piled on top of head (I stopped daily washing at least 17 years ago, but continued with the hair piling until about 3 years ago)
- Highlights and lowlights (twice a year from mid 2007-end of 2012)
- Unfriendly hair ties/styles
- Rough handling of hair (ripping thin-tooth combs through it when I was in a rush, particularly)
- I lived in a hard water area from 2009-mid 2013 and, although I saw the impact on my hair, had no idea what to do with it.

I never used a blow dryer, heat styled, or permed my hair so I thought I was being pretty healthy with it. Oops.

I found the LHC because the hard water issue made my hair look terrible and I was desperate to find something to save my hair. Now I:
- wash once a week, with CO ever other wash
- use lots of coconut oil, which helps with the old highlighting damage (started pre-LHC)
- use hair-friendly kit and wear a sleep cap
- use a wide-tooth seamless comb
- selected shampoos and conditioners without sulfates and cones that work well on my hair
- use a white vinegar rinse
- do occasional protein treatments followed by deep conditioning

Hopefully, with patience, I can grow out the damaged hair and have happy healthy long hair. I'm a bit paranoid about the highlighting damage and worry about the impact. Strangely, you can't really see much of a demarcation line since I did both highlights and lowlights after the first year of them. Why on earth was I creating these fake light and darks when my hair already had them? :rolleyes:

~honeyflower~
March 23rd, 2014, 03:46 PM
Before LHC I didnt really think hair needed to be protected. Sure, hair dyes are drying but hair simply fixes itself. I really wanted light brown hair or red. I would go and sun bleach my hair until I could see it getting lighter. I never heard of sulfate free shampoo, I assumed every shampoo was the same. Did it matter how I washed? No, just a handfull of shampoo and I got amazing volume. Conditioner? Please, that is just mumbo jumbo to me.

Then...one summer day.

I noticed my hair felt very dry. I noticed my hair was thinning and the sun bleached had made my hair orangey. I used yahoo answers and found someone's post had mentioned LHC. I ignored it at first, but the name had stuck in my head. I experimented eggs, olive oil, and gave up. So I looked for that post and lurked for a year. Finally, after high school graduation I gave in and did a lot of experimenting. It took some time to get my hair soft but I found a routine. I now use sulfate free shampoo, heavy conditioner, leave in, and oil. I dont have the volume and my ambitions for light brown hair are far over. I am happy with my hair now, its healthy and glows vibrantly. I would trade that over huge volumous hair.

two_wheels
March 23rd, 2014, 03:48 PM
Hahaha Crumpet and ~honeyflower~, I love how right we all thought we were :D

jacqueline101
March 23rd, 2014, 03:54 PM
Let's see before lhc:
Wash and condition daily mane n tail set
Blow dry using sun silk thermal shine spray
Used hot oil weekly Wednesday
Thursday used sun silk hydra tlc mask
Used hydra tlc 24/7 cream on fly aways
Used vo5 keep me strong cream daily
Hair skin nail vitamin daily
Hair was long Mbl and loose
Used a paddle brush only
Used chemicals perms dyes and straighteners my hair was a broken mess.

Now:
Wash weekly vo5 set
Monday Wednesday Friday growth experiment
Monday Wednesday Friday oil mist and vo5 keep me strong cream to length
Wear a satin sleep cap nightly wear my hair up daily
Takes a lot of vitamins
Monthly use clarifying vo5 set, lustrasilk Shea butter and mango cholesterol and Aussie deep conditioner
Weekly tresemmee shine spray after washing
Use a wide tooth comb only
S&d when needed and self trim bangs as needed

ladylowtide
March 23rd, 2014, 03:57 PM
Before I washed my hair once or twice a week. Shampoo and condition. Wet combing. Plastic brushing. Dye and bleach all the time.

Now: same wash schedule. Shampoo only, catnip soaks. BBB, and finger combing.

FuzzyBlackWaves
March 23rd, 2014, 03:58 PM
My mum taught me. In the past my hair 'care' routine was: Rip cheap plastic brush through from root to tip twice a day. Wash every other day (despite my scalp being the Sahara) by piling hair on top of head with shampoo and conditioner. Blow dry and straighten before applying tonnes of serums. Back comb and curlers for nights out. Razors to thin it out and loads of layers, always wear down, even to sleep. I bleached it regularly for a while, then dyed it red, then dyed it black. For years I kept dying it every two weeks, my whole head, on clean hair - and wondered why it never grew.

panffle
March 23rd, 2014, 04:03 PM
I used to wash my hair every other day... For some reason I only shampooed the top of my head! No wonder I had dandruff... I only conditioned whenever I felt like it, there were times when I'd hop off the shower without conditioning at all - then rip through tangles and wonder why my hair always got so tangly! Occasionally I'd use a hair dryer but of course, to speed up the drying process I'd leave it too close to my hair, on a too hot setting.
Then I started dyeing it... And it couldn't handle any more damage. It got horrible, dry, frizzy, breaking off. That's when I cut from waist+ to shoulder and joined LHC. :)

LauraLongLocks
March 23rd, 2014, 04:20 PM
I piled all my hair on my head and washed with shampoo and conditioned. I brushed it when wet, and ripped through tangles all the time. I chewed my split ends off, or took whatever was handy to cut them off... nail clippers amongst my tools, or I would just pull and rip them off, breaking the hair. I slept with it loose. I permed it, I dyed it, I hacked it short, very short. It was shaved in the back at one point, and was never longer than my shoulders. This was all before the age of 18.

After becoming an adult, I decided I wanted long hair, so I grew it to MBL, and went online to learn how to care for long hair. I knew I didn't know what I was doing, but I didn't know what I needed to do differently. I found The Long Hair Site (I think that's what it was called) and found a few tips. Seamless combs, not brushing wet, securing it at night and sleeping on satin, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and CWC. I put these new tips to work, but started heat styling my hair because I was bored with it. It was getting damaged, and then my family got lice, so I chopped it to a pixie on impulse.

That was in May 2008.

As my hair grew out from the pixie, I took better care of it, because I remembered the things I read about caring for long hair, and I put it to use (but did use some heat styling when I was going out because my hair when short lacks volume, it's so fine). When it got to about APL-BSL, I was bored with it again and cut layers and bangs. It was in much better shape than when I had it long before the pixie. Loved my bangs, hated the layers immediately. I needed to learn more styles (all I knew was wearing ponytails too often meant it would break, so I wore it down almost all the time, then switched to a caterpillar ponytail thingy with scrunchies because they weren't as damaging as elastics), so I went online to learn styles, and kept finding LHC in my search results. Finally joined LHC when I was MBL in October 2013. Since joining, I have learned over 55 styles, and started CO-washing. I've also done a lot of hair growth experiments and tried new oils. It's been almost 3 years since the layers and bangs, and I've decided to grow the bangs out again (getting bored and annoyed with them now... but there are always clip-ins if I miss them). The layers are almost gone, too.

It's really great to be growing hair from practically day 1 with good hair care practices. I haven't lost much of my length or thickness to damaging practices.

ETA: I also wanted to add that I learned about henna and cassia and have had some fun experimenting with glosses since joining LHC.

threadOfGold
March 23rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
Okay prepare yourself LHCers :couch:

I used to wake up every morning jump into a boiling hot shower, pile on a ton of shampoo and roughly scrub it all over my head, pile on conditioner and wash it all off, then come out and put any random serum on it without really knowing the ingredients, blow dry whilst ripping a paddle brush from top to bottom, and then curling. Can I add this is in between bleaching and cutting every 6 weeks.
THERE I SAID IT!:thud:

Now I use coconut and all the other useful oils, take all the vitamins, eat the right foods, only wash my hair every three days with a shampoo bar and use normal shampoo and conditioner only if I'm getting oils out my hair, I wear my hair up a lot to protect it, only wash with cold water, use no heat or dye and it's grown so much and that's only two months. Its growing so much now! THANK YOU LHC!

Madora
March 23rd, 2014, 04:49 PM
While I've had long hair for a long time, I had cut it short in 2003 so that it was a little above armpit length.

My hair care routine then is about the same as now, except now I wear my hair up and braided at night, and have traded in conditioner for mineral oil.

Everything I learned about long hair care came from Dr. George Michael, the famed "Czar of Long Hair".

I belonged to The Long Hair Club run by Frank Plonnisen (in Europe) and was a featured "Week's Lady". When he closed his site, I came to LHC.

Crumpet
March 23rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
Madora - why did you cut your hair in 2003? (just curious since you have amazing hair that seems fated to be long!)

Madora
March 23rd, 2014, 04:58 PM
Madora - why did you cut your hair in 2003? (just curious since you have amazing hair that seems fated to be long!)

Crumpet, I had pain in my upper right arm/shoulder. I don't know what caused it but taking care of my long hair was out of the question. Thankfully, the pain finally did go away and I started growing out again.

pixldust
March 23rd, 2014, 05:01 PM
I used to be quite mean to my hair; I washed with sulphate shampoo and blow-dried everyday, combed it when it was damp with a fine tooth comb(!), dyed it every month and, partly because I changed the colour regularly and partly because I was just an idiot, I dyed the whole lot of my hair roots to ends. Every single time! Looking back now, it's no surprise the ends of my hair are in such a fragile state. I also believed that because my hair was fine, and made finer by the way I treated it, that it would never grow very long. But I still wanted long hair!
I started doing some research and through that, I switched to SLS-free shampoo and began washing my hair every other day. Also, no wet combing with a fine tooth comb!
Looking into tips on how to grow your hair led me not only to ditching the dye, finally, but also a lot of search results led me here. So I lurked for a while, absorbing as much info as I could. Now, my hair is growing, and growing in thicker than it was. My plugholes previously used to colg up at an alarming rate with hair, especially considering how short it was. It is shedding so much less now.
My current routine is wash every third day, condition twice, put olive oil on damp ends. I also now plait my hair every night, sleep on a satin pillowcase and wear it up pretty much all the time. I'm also careful with what hair accessories I use.

FuzzyBlackWaves
March 23rd, 2014, 05:02 PM
Crumpet, I had pain in my upper right arm/shoulder. I don't know what caused it but taking care of my long hair was out of the question. Thankfully, the pain finally did go away and I started growing out again.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Frozen-shoulder/pages/introduction.aspx

:) ?

Crumpet
March 23rd, 2014, 05:08 PM

That makes sense. You are one of my long hair icons so its hard to imagine you without long hair. I'm glad your pain subsided and you have your glorious locks back!

:blossom:

Madora
March 23rd, 2014, 05:11 PM
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Frozen-shoulder/pages/introduction.aspx

:) ?

Thanks very much for that link, FuzzyBlackWaves! Very interesting! My mom had Dupytren's Contracture and it was awful. I still don't know what caused the pain but didn't want to investigate further as I'm very doctor phobic. I'm hanging on to my long hair as long as I can though I'm not as supple as I once was. However, I just approach updos in a slightly different way and can still manage a few of my favorites.

MadeiraD
March 23rd, 2014, 05:19 PM
I mostly did the same stuff, but now I use satin pillow cases and keep it up more

teddygirl
March 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM
I used to dye or highlight my hair every few months, blowdry + flat iron often

RainbowBowser
March 23rd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Before I washed my hair myself, my mom used looots of shampoo and ran it all through my hair, then the same with conditioner, ripped a brush through wet hair and dried my hair on the highest heat setting (no heat protectant).

Then I started doing things by myself, first shampoo was just plopped on my head then ran down my hair, not too terrible, but didn't do much for me. Then use barely any conditioner on the length. Use nothing for drying and straightening hair daily. I had zero understanding of ingredients in hair products and such, all I know is I wanted to fit in and have straight hair like all the normal girls.I ripped brushes through my hair and paid no mind to it.

As my routine developed I learnt to wash my hair properly and massage my scalp, I learnt the value of conditioner (used more) and heat protectants but still did not give up the daily washing but used the cool setting on my dryer and reduced the straightener usage. I started to experiment a little bit with bleach and dye. I haven't had disasters to speak of but it wasn't any good for hair. (All this stuff I learnt on YouTube, so I was able to proceed with caution) But I discovered the wide tooth comb to be kinder to my hair, thankfully i was never teasing my hair.

When I finally wanted my hair to grow, I learnt about coconut oil and sulphate-free shampoos among many other things like washing hair less often through YouTube again.
I began to lurk the LHC last June or so, then I finally had the guts to chop off the damage and just do it for real. By then I had not been washing my hair for several days and because it was summer i didn't bother with heat (by then I was pretty much done with the straightener). And while I've S&D'd in the past its not as much of a thankless task now. I currently am trying to fight the fact that I tend to wear my hair down all the time. I purchased flexi8s, I sometimes stick a pencil in my hair to keep it up, but i tend to want my hair to hide behind.

But now I know all sorts of things that I don't necessarily do to my hair but what I can do if I wanted to change the way I do things such as CO washing, henna, tea rinses, acv, SMTs, and other really useful things.

So yeah, my knowledge is now 30% youtube 70% LHC :)

Aderyn
March 23rd, 2014, 06:31 PM
Since early middle school my hair has been from BSL to waist length, always worn down. I've never been a heat-user, no blow drier, curling iron, flat iron, etc. Prior to LHC, I would wash my hair every night with a harsh, sulfate conditioner, followed up with a conditioner. I've never done the piling of hair on top of my head to wash, I figured out that was not very great very early on. I would then fall asleep with my hair loose, rip through all of the tangles in the morning with a ball tipped brush, be left with a poofy mess, slather some cream or mousse onto my hair to help tame the poofiness, and then go proceed to wear my hair down 100% of the time. I would cut my hair 1-2 times a year, cutting off all of the new growth to go back to just above BSL, grow it back out to waist and cut it back. My ends were fairly damaged by the time my hair reached waist due to all of the abuse. Before I actively decided to let my hair grow out (probably 2 years prior to deciding to grow it out), my mom started cutting out sulfates, parabens, etc. so I followed suit, though the damage from the rest of my routine helped negat the effect from that.

Anje
March 23rd, 2014, 07:19 PM
Oh, let's see...

Up until maybe a year pre-LHC, I was washing my hair with full-strength shampoo and conditioner every time I showered, so every 1-2 days, piling it on my head as I went. Stupidly, it never occurred to me that I could put my hair up and shower without washing my hair, so I was actually stretching showers a bit to avoid having to deal with wet hair. Doh! I brushed quickly and harshly with a pin brush (not a bbb), often ripping through tangles, and I wore a ponytail basically every day.

In the months before I found this place and joined, I noticed that I had a big chunk of breakage that was obviously related to my perma-ponytail. I pretty much swore off doing ponytails then and there, switching to buns and braids that weren't started with an elastic. I found and started using hairsticks on my own, but they were plastic and I killed a couple of them. Most of the other changes to my routine (CO washing, not washing my hair daily, gentle combing) were added after finding this place.

No one really taught me how to deal with hair before this. I "knew" that you were supposed to use both shampoo and conditioner. I knew as a kid (by the time I was about 8) that if I styled my hair, it hurt less than if my mom did. I had a book that taught me how to do things like French braid.

MissBubble
March 23rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
My routine was wash every 3 days, shampoo and conditioner. A mask once a week or an oil overnight, usually olive or almond.
No use of heat at all, but use of hair gel and spray daily. Chemical dye once every two months. Never wear hair up.

Now it is wash every 5-6 days, shampoo every second wash and conditioner. Overnight mask before washing but made by me using oils. No heat, no gels and sprays, I use coconut oil to style my hair and I also put leave in condistioner or oil after washing and in between. I still use chemical dye. I wear it up sometimes when I am out of the house and always while at home and during sleep.

FallingDarkness
March 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM
Hmm. Let's see. I believed the lies of how getting your hair cut makes it grow faster. So everyone two months I'd get a trim, normally just one half an inch, but still. I ate up half my hair growth, and wonder why it never grew anywhere.
I washed every day, and if I skipped a day I'd shampoo twice to make up for it, and applied conditioner on my scalp. I never deep conditioned or even thought about putting my hair up. For about a year I'd straighten my (still wet) hair every day, in order to try to control the frizzball that my hair was.

NOW
I CO wash every other day (still trying to find a way to stretch my washes more) and only shampoo at the end of the week after my coconut oil overnight treatment. I put my hair up at least four days a week, eat healthier, haven't touched any heat products in a lifetime, and am very, very gentle when washing my hair. Only use cold water, too, on my hair. I can't stand to shower in completely cold water, though... :P

Marika
March 23rd, 2014, 09:34 PM
I love LHC but my hair care routine hasn't really change after joining. At first, I tried cone-free, streching washes etc. (because I thought I had to) but quickly returned to my old routine. I found LHC because I googled a certain product (can't remember which) and I lurked for 5 years before joining in 2009. I had waist length hair and was already into long hair and hair care. I had stopped bleaching and brushing years before and was using mainly salon products. I've never used heat or styling products because I'm lazy like that! :D I think I became more ingredient conscious because of LHC.

Keeping hair mostly up and proper hair toys have definitely had the biggest influence on my hair condition. And I had a lot more money pre-LHC because I really got into buying hair toys! :p Thankfully, I'm over that now. I have enough to last me a life time.

I guess my mom taught me the hair care basics as a child :shrug:

Monkshood
March 23rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
I don't really remember what I was doing. I never cared much about my hair before I decided to grow it long 3 years ago and that's about when I discovered LHC. I do know that I used a TON of shampoo (whatever was laying around, but mostly Head & Shoulders since dandruff was a problem back then) and NO conditioner. I would go through several bottles of the former in a month, which I thought was normal since my hair is so thick. By contrast, I've been using the same 18 oz. bottle of shampoo since June of last year and it's still half full. I also used to color and straighten it on a regular basis, which was something I hated doing, so I made sure to wash my hair as less often as possible. It still grew like a weed! Then again, I kept it quite short, so any damage got trimmed off.

kganihanova
March 23rd, 2014, 10:28 PM
I still do kind of the same things. I just wear a cap in the water and use oils. I was actually pretty decent to my hair. I did switch to a bbb though.

emilia1992
March 24th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Before LHC I...

1. Never used conditioner of any sort
2. Brushed starting from the top
3. Rubbed hair dry with a towel
4. Slept with hair down
5. Pulled out hair ties with one hand.

Oh dearie me! :)

CurlyCap
March 24th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Lol. How far back? Because the childhood regimens are things of nightmares....

But right before LHC I was co-washing with a coney, protein-rich (EXPENSIVE) conditioner that built up. Ie, I was shampooing my hair once a week. This led to splits that needed to be trimmed every 3 months. Which I didn't mind because I wore my hair heavily layered and never wanted anything longer than hip because I was worried the conditioner would cost too much. :rolleyes:

LMB
March 24th, 2014, 05:22 AM
I was shampoo and conditioning every day, I clicked on to the not piling everything on top of my head pretty early, so always just the scalp and let it run down my length. I de-tangled when wet, used a coney heat protectant, blow dried to 95%, threw up in a cinnabun while I did my make up/got dressed then let down for soft waves, and left down all day, brush ripped through whenever it got tangled, and slept with it down.
It is fine so it would get to between APL and BSL and I was also one of those that believed my hair was too thin to be super long so I would grow it to that length, get a couple of inches off then start again.

Now I still 'wash' every day, either CO, CWC or S&C and blow dry (but on cool). My hair is put up 90% of the time and I use oils and a sleepcap.

Weewah
March 24th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I'd get heavy highlights every 3 months or so, and use whatever shampoo/conditioner combo my stylist recommends at the time. I also straightened my hair every day: blow dry first, flat iron second. Doing my hair like this every day took forever and it'd always puff up with water/humidity. I'm so happy I figured out how to wear my natural texture, it's making my life waayy easier!

EmmAutumn
March 24th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I actually had a pretty good idea of what is 'good' and 'bad' for hair, thanks to my dad.
He still keeps his hair long (that is, long for a man in his 50's, somewhere between SL and APL. I can't really tell because he always wears it up) and he taught me some haircare basics when i was still a kid, like:
- Don't wash every day
- Use more conditioner than shampoo (on long hair)
- Shampoo goes on the scalp
- Heat tools are bad for your hair
- Brush/comb gently starting at the bottom
- Be gentle with your hair, especially when it's wet
And most importantly: wear your hair the way YOU like it. Want it long? Grow it long. Want it short? Cut it. Want a different color? Go for it.
Thanks dad!

queenovnight
March 24th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Growing up, my mother didn't know how to care for my biracial hair (My mother is white, my father is black) so it was treated horribly before I joined LHC. I first joined back in 2011. I grew up with my Caucasian side, so they had no idea what to do with the nest on my head. The treatment of my hair as a child lead to some horrible habits as I grew up! I didn't even know how to brush my hair. I would just yank at it until the brush had gone through. I was convinced that I just had BAD hair, and it wasn't until 2011 -when I first joined- that I realized it wasn't the texture or curls in my hair.. it was the treatment. Thank goodness for LHC! I would probably be bald if I hadn't found this site.

lapushka
March 24th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I was lucky, I guess. My mom taught me to take care of my hair. The gentle washing (no bunching up the hair), the squeegeeing out of water, the towel drying, gentle detangling afterwards (with a small toothed comb though), I learned it all from my mom. She had to take care of classic length hair when I was a kid, so no wonder. As a teen, I still adhered to those methods, but when dry crimped the heck out of it almost every day (because it was frizzy-wavy and had changed textures during puberty).

NoRush
March 24th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I did the whole washe every day, blast dry thing, I freely used heat tools, not all the time but still. there was a time back in the day when I liked to smash my hair against the side of the tub (like a head bang with wet hair) don't ask me why, I cringe at the thought. I dyed my hair all colors of the rainbow as well. Result? straw like hair, not brittle really, just dry and tangly and generally damaged from the ears down. Constant ponytails were also a thing... Who taught me? no one, my mom dispaired for years because I ripped through my hair with the brush.

I'm in recovery now, I haven't been cruel to my hair in almost two years :P

YamaMaya
March 24th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Before lhc I didn't do anything drastic to my hair for years. When I was a child I suffered from awful frizz thanks to poor brushing habits, but due to laziness in my teenage years I ended up inadvertantly stretching washes :p. I did however, succumb to the flat ironing trend that all the other girls were doing, even though my hair was basically almost straight, I wanted that sleek look, so I started flat ironing all the time, even while wet. THEN I had just about the biggest lapse of judgement I ever had and decided to bleach my hair and dye it crazy colors, I bleached, dyed, then bleached over my hair again, ended up with the worst dry straw like hair I've ever had, tangled so easily and was just hideous. I swore off bleach and trimmed out the damage slowly until it was all gone, then went back to dye because I wanted my hair dark black. I officially went dye free 3 years ago mainly because I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I cut my hair myself for a long while and maintained at around apl/shoulder, I then decided I wanted long long hair. I've never had a problem growing my hair long, but I wanted to do it the right way this time and that's how I found LHC :)

Scarlet_Heart
March 24th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Should preface by saying I've pretty much always had long hair, usually around hip.

I used to wash my hair (with hot water) every night, lots of shampoo and LOTS of conditioner. My mother was also always a long hair. And the one really good thing she told me was to never brush while wet, always gently detangle with a comb. Which I was annoyed with as an impatient child. It was so much easier to brush than comb.

But as I got older I colored it all the time, every (mostly natural) color under the sun. I didn't blow dry too often, but I used tons of hair spray (which, admittedly, I miss because big hair is everything).

I guess I wasn't too bad. But I'm so glad I learned about oiling and bunning and things like that. And hair sticks which have been fun to accumulate, but have also been my curse as I spend too much money on them.

Nebulae
March 26th, 2014, 04:23 AM
I'm pretty much self-taught when it comes to hair care.. I remember my mom telling me I needed to use conditioner as my hair grew longer (I used a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditoner) and that my hair dresser gave me a brush and told me to brush from the ends up when I was around ten maybe, that's about it.
I never did the pile hair on top of the head shampooing thing, I figured that wasn't the best way. I did however rub it vigorously with my bath towel after getting out of the shower and I ripped a brush or comb through my wet hair. I didn't detangle before showering, I was sure the running water or water pressure sorted that out while I was washing myself...
Then I reached my teens and started abusing my hair. :p Chemical dye every month, mousse, hairspray, blow-drying and straightening. Since my hair was so fine/thin especially from treating it wrong, I was on the constant chase for volume. Now that I've realized my hair will never be very voluminous, I might as well shoot for length :lol:

I found this forum when I was researching remedies for my itchy and flaky scalp, I think coconut oil actually led me here.
Now I've ditched the dyes, products and heat, improved my techique when drying and detangling my hair, and it made a huge difference. I'm very grateful! :)

Cania
March 26th, 2014, 04:56 AM
I'm lucky to have very sturdy hair. I was at BSL and straightened my hair every day for years with no problems. It grows pretty fast too, so I guess I was cutting off split ends before it caused too much trouble!

Anyhow, I used to wash pretty well (shampoo on scalp only, condition lengths, let the conditioner sit etc.) as that was how my mother taught me. I washed three times a week, again she told me washing every day would make it greasy quicker! She used to wash hers every day when I was a kid though, as it was so short it looked dirty faster.

Like I said, I straightened every day :doh: I also slathered my hair in no-frizz serums, heat defence spray, mousse for volume. I would rough blow-dry upside down! I was bleach blonde. All that I got from cosmo!

I did brush well, though, in my defence :P Again, my mother taught me to start at the ends and go slow. She also used to make sure I had good quality, seamless paddle brushes (not ideal but they were certainly better than most) and encouraged me to brush with a BBB! Considering she has never had much interest in hair, she sure had some good hair wisdom.

tigereye
March 26th, 2014, 05:02 AM
My hair routine was pretty good before LHC to be honest. I mostly put it down to sheer laziness and my mums influence.
I washed my hair once a week (and still do) with shampoo on my scalp and conditioner on my length. It stemmed from showering once a week as a child right up to my mid-teens. My mum washes her hair weekly too, so it's normal for us. I didn't blow dry or heat-style and bunned a lot, mostly out of laziness and annoyance at my hair getting in my face. As a young child, my mum would braid my hair for me, but later I learned myself so I could keep my long hair and still keep it out the way.

I think the main difference is that I used sulphates and silicones, which I now can't due to allergies. Plus, I hadn't yet found out about the wonders of leave-ins or henna.

julee
March 26th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Before LHC my routine was fairly average. I used the average shampoo and coney conditioner from the supermarket (my hair didn't do too badly with cones back in the day. Unfortunately I didn't know about clarifying though). I would wear my hair in a ponytail the majority of the time and brushed with a horrible plastic brush. I hardly ever used heat, never used dye, and somehow my hair made it to hip albeit with thin damaged ends.

I have to say I think the biggest change for me was learning to be gentle with my hair, and minimising mechanical damage. Gentle finger combing has made a huge difference :).

me_random
March 26th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Pre lhc- let hair grow until ~ nose/chin length, then get buzzed to ~1" or so (grrr, wish i'd have not done that now), when it would get longer, use just shampoo and shake head like a dog to dry, use whatever was around to brush, and i was generally rather mean :(

Then i decided to stop getting cuts, and see how long it would get(2003 or so), read all the info on "the long hair site" (now defunct) and started really taking care of it (oils, bbb, etc) still just used ponytails (but the scrunchie style, never the thin ones), and had it down (but flipped over the head of the bed to sleep)

Had a 5 year relapse when i met wife (she complained that i took too long on my hair (about 5 min/day) and i was still only using ponytails. It eventually stopped at ~bsl (i'm trans so that counts :p ) and was horribly frizzy and damaged.

About a year and a half ago, I decided I'd had enough, and wanted to have my nice hair back, so started reading the posts here, got another bbb, and a sleep cap, started using co, and later wo washes with coconut/jojoba oils, taking vitamins/protein supplements, and i am now just past hip (well.. part of it anyways) i haven't had any trims, but i've been S/D-ing and the results have been pretty decent :)

Lydialove
March 26th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Daily S&C, followed by a vigorous towel drying. Chemical dyes. Bleach. Blow drying... Let's just say that I thought that I'd just spend my life with a bob because anything longer would show too much damage.

I stumbled onto the LHC, I think, when I started to investigate henna. I only looked into henna because I heard it didn't fade in two weeks, the way box dye was doing. I wasn't thinking about making my hair healthier. Ha! I certainly had my eyes opened.

Before the LHC it wouldn't have occurred to me that I could actually grow my hair out long.

ashke50
March 26th, 2014, 04:45 PM
My pre LHC routine wasn't awful, but it wasn't great. My main unknown damage sources were wearing it down and brushing roughly. I hadn't correlated the fact my hair had started getting shorter and shorter since I left school with the fact that I had had to wear it up (or at least plaited) at school, and had been wearing it loose ever since. Wearing it up has massively helped with growth and thickness, due to the lack of breakage.
My brushing technique was awful, just start at the top and pull through. It was actually my husband who pointed that out to me, when he asked whether I was meant to brush my hair so roughly because he could see broken hairs falling away from my head! I've been much more careful since (apart from the occasional impatient day, but fortunately my hair isn't too prone to tangles).
The other thing I have really learnt here is how to properly shampoo my hair, massaging it into the scalp only, rather than piling my hair on top of my head. That seems to be a common mistake pre-LHC, which is probably due to all those misleading shampoo adverts...

Lady Mary
March 26th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Bleach and then add colors! Pink, red, blue, purple, orange... Mixes of those colors or even different pieces as different colors. I'm glad I did it, no regrets. I'd have wondered forever if I hadn't.

Lindenare
March 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Pre-LHC wasn't that long ago for me, and my routine worked pretty well. I've never washed my hair every day. I lathered my scalp only and used the suds to wash the length, brushed from the ends up (mostly) and never while wet, though I may have been rougher with it than was optimal. I used to wear it mostly in ponytails, but my hair needs multiple elastics to hold it up, so as I moved away from scrunchies (as a teen), I mostly wore it down or braided. I grew my hair to hip twice with this treatment. My routine now is pretty much the same, except that not long before joining LHC I learned how to use hairsticks in updos and now wear my hair up most of the time. Most of my good hair habits came from my mom or were arrived at by trial and error.

Wisteria
March 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I used to use a palm full of shampoo, with those commercials on TV, it only made sense. How else were you supposed to achieve that amount of lather? :D
I hated that conditioner didn't lather so I used a bunch, though not as much as shampoo. I used it on my scalp and hair.
I brushed my hair from the top and never used a comb.
Slept with it loose all over my pillow.
I never trimmed it. Never. Every few months I went in for a haircut and I didn't care about split ends.

alexis917
March 26th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I used to use a palm full of shampoo, with those commercials on TV, it only made sense. How else were you supposed to achieve that amount of lather? :D
I hated that conditioner didn't lather so I used a bunch, though not as much as shampoo. I used it on my scalp and hair.
I brushed my hair from the top and never used a comb.
Slept with it loose all over my pillow.
I never trimmed it. Never. Every few months I went in for a haircut and I didn't care about split ends.

I was the same, but I went through hair phases.
I would grow it long, then chop it.

I had a phase where I used a ton of shampoo and conditioner daily, then put my hair into a tight ponytail.
Then I hit 8th grade and started the daily blowdrying and straightening, and my first dye job.
Then another dye job, and another, and another, and another (bleaching).

My hair was so messed up and frizzy, ......I never even knew it was naturally straight!
Now I'm cone free, heat and dye free, and I only use a ripoff of the wet brush when I wash my hair (the right way) once a week.
Thanks LHC!

Yozhik
March 26th, 2014, 08:06 PM
My haircare routine wasn't all that bad, but it did have its cringe-worthy aspects.

Until I was about 13, I only washed once or twice a week and would keep my hair in a low ponytail or braid; however, I only used shampoo (no conditioner) and piled all of my hair on top of my head and scrubbed.

From 13-22 (when I joined LHC), I piled my hair on top of my head, washed my hair every day, used conditioner full of cones, and ripped a brush/fine-toothed comb through my hair when wet after roughly towel-drying it.

Honestly, after my craze about 'doing everything right' which started when I first joined LHC, now my routine isn't all that different; I just am gentler now with detangling and wash my hair less often.

ichosethis
March 26th, 2014, 08:58 PM
When I was a kid through high school I washed and conditioned my hair daily. I rarely used heat or styling products. I brushed from the ends up starting in middle school or so when I figured out it worked better. I combed my hair while nearly dripping wet. I wore my hair in a low pony tail nearly every day, otherwise it was usually down. About 6 months prior to LHC I started regularly washing my hair every other day and working towards every third day because I'd read it was better for your hair and I figured it'd help with the frizz and breakage. I figured out around that time that I liked buns for more than just being around heat and began wearing them a little bit more, but always two (covered) elastics in the same place I wore my ponytail. I knew I should wear it in varying styles but never could seem to get around to that.

Now I wash every 4 days with a shampoo bar and an ACV rinse. Still no heat or styling products, just some light oils for frizz and protection. I use coconut oil every other wash. I recently started combing my hair once it was just damp instead of still very wet. I wear my hair in several different buns every day, at different heights and with different hair toys like slides, sticks, and spin pins.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Pre - LHC I would shampoo and condition once a week (not the piling- it - on - top - of - the - head thing, I learned not to do that from the resulting tangles). Comb with a wide toothed comb while damp from the bottom upwards. I slept with my hair loose on a cotton pillowcase. I used a plastic brush, and my only styles were loose, (virtually never, due to tangling), up in a log roll with a barrette or in a ponytail.

Not as bad as it could have been, I guess. ETA: Oh and I never used heat on it. Too lazy/unfashionable/both...

LongHairLesbian
March 27th, 2014, 08:24 PM
My routine wasn't awful pre-LHC, but it wasn't great either. I used to S&C my hair from root to tip every other day, rip my brush through wet hair to detangle, and blow dry. I didn't use dye or any other heat tools, but I wore my hair loose almost every day, or put it back in a pony tail.

Post LHC, I use CWC every third day, applying S to my scalp and conditioning the length. I use twice as much conditioner as I used to. I dry my hair with a t-shirt, finger comb my hair while it's wet, apply a leave in oil to the ends, and let it air dry. I still don't use dye and I'm 100% off heat for the last 5 months. I wear my hair up almost every day, usually in a braid but sometimes in a bun. I apply a bit of coconut oil to my ends if they look dry. And my hair has never been shinier or stronger. I also have a thick, even hemline, more than 4 months after my last trim! That would have been unbelievable pre-LHC. :)

alexis917
March 27th, 2014, 08:32 PM
A lot of us seemed to be big fans of ponytails? Haha!

LongHairLesbian
March 27th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Yeah it seems like that! Haha. :P A ponytail used to be the only way I knew how to put my hair back; my mother never taught me how to braid or bun my hair, and I didn't learn on my own until LHC. And I'm someone who has had down to waist length hair many times in the past!

TrapperCreekD
March 27th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Thinking back on my pre-LHC routine makes me want to hug my hair and apologize for my ignorance. :flowers:

My old routine was super benign neglect and horrible washing practices. I never really paid much attention to my hair, it was just kind of there, you know? It's always been long, probably BCL at it's longest, before the bad habits caught up with me. My mom is hairstyle challenged - she knew how to french braid but only on herself - so my hair was always in an English braid. At about fifteen I decided I was tired of the same English braid and started wearing it up, but I didn't know any styles so I wore the same pony bun - sometimes I'd braid it - for about four years. :doh:

I don't remember where I picked up the "lather, rinse, repeat" but I shampooed twice with sulfate shampoo every ~5 days and used way too much - probably a palmful total. I didn't use my ends to scrub, but I did sort of pile all my hair onto my head to distribute the suds into the length. Conditioner, an embarrassingly small amount of a watery type, mostly went on my scalp (I don't remember shedding a ton... maybe my scalp would like CO?) and was probably lucky to reach my ends.

Sleep on it loose every night. Rip through tangles with ball-tipped paddle brush and turn myself into a pouf ball. Never read the product labels - who reads labels, if it smells good, that's all that matters, right? Every six months or so my mom would trim two inches or so off (goodbye growth!). I never straightened my hair or touched a curling iron, and only used a blow drier a handful of times - I can't imagine how bad off my hair would be if I had!

I still wash every ~5 days, but the rest of my routine has changed. Still wash with sulfates, but I now do a heavy oiling before ever wash to help mitigate the harshness. Condition, condition, condition. I no longer brush my hair, but detangle with a wide tooth comb or my fingers. Hair goes in a braid for sleep, and a dab of oil on the tassel to help keep the ends happy. I read labels, S&D, and have an arsenal of awesome protective hairstyles. Flax seed gel has done wonders for my hair, I have semi defined wurls now!

dellad
March 28th, 2014, 10:26 AM
My hair routine before LHC actually wasn't too bad. I had learned a lot from trial and error, things like not washing too often, only shampooing the scalp, only conditioning the length, using horn combs, and avoiding heat and chemical dyes. My hair reached classic length just on these practices alone. LHC taught me about protective updos during the day and braiding for sleep. I'm also now trying CWC. These three little changes have already improved the look and feel of my hair. I'm seeing fewer tangles and less frizz than before.

sarahthegemini
March 28th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Prior to LHC:
-Wash my hair on a daily basis
-Shampoo and condition with whatever duo I fancied, i.e. Tresemme, Dove, Aussie (I never bothered to read labels and learn about ingredients)
-Brush hair from root to tip, and not very carefully if i'm honest and multiple times throughout the day
-Blow dry and flat iron daily
-Wear it down to sleep

When I actively started trying to take care of my hair, I experimented a lot and tried a lot of things. But after a bit (ok, a LOT) of trial and error, I am almost 100% happy with my routine, which now is:
-Wash every 4-5 days (BIG ACHIEVEMENT!)
-Co-wash only (I have used shampoo on my length twice since September)
-Use a rich RO conditioner from chin downwards
-Use a proteiny LI from chin downwards
-Air dry
-Comb a lot LESS. Once my hair has completely dried, I flip my head upside down and comb the under-scalp part with my wooden detangler (this gives me a bit of volume and fullness) and comb my ends with a finer tooth wooden comb (I do this on day 1 and 2)
-When I do comb my hair fully (i.e. not just the scalp and the ends) I still do so from root to tip BUT I comb very slowly, and as soon as I feel a tangle, I gently pull it apart with my fingers instead of just ripping the comb through
-I always read labels, not that I've bought any new products for my hair lately (I don't need to) but I would read labels. I avoid silicones and other ingredients that can build up such as butters and waxes etc.
-Wear it in low pigtails to sleep (NEW DISCOVERY: this stops any stringy-ness)

gingeralex
March 28th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Prior to LHC (like, a few weeks ago tbh, but anyway) I was washing every 2-3 days, hardly ever used conditioner, blow dried every time I washed it, never used conditioner. I wasn't piling my hair on my head, but I was shampooing the length. Brushing with a pin brush too, then putting it in pony tails for sports and loose to sleep. I was wearing it down every day too.
Now I'm using CO washing and the occasional CWC, a seamless comb with a BBB for styling, air drying it, cold rinsing it after every shower, keeping it up in buns with hairsticks and plaits to sleep. I've done a trim and a load of S and D on it too- it hadn't been cut in over a year and was full of split ends. Using a good bit of leave in conditioner too. I think just using conditioner made a huge difference.
and OH MY GOD it's so soft and shiny and manageable already!

sourgrl
March 28th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Before LHC: Washed from root to ends piled on my head with a sulphate shampoo every other day. Conditioned length. Shampoo and conditioner was bought based more on how nice it smelled rather than how well it worked. I used a two inch curling iron every other day to smooth the frizz in my waves. Did not use heat protectant. Brushed without care. Yup. Splits, white dots, and severe breakage ravaged my hair. Despite all that I would easily get to BSL, get bored, then chop back to collar bone.

What brought me to LHC was a noticable thinning of my crown and a desire to find a heat free way to style my hair. I attribute the thinning to stress (a spouse with sudden major health issues and no health insurance). With a little research and trial and error I discovered a way to care for my hair so it looks almost like it did when I used heat. It's been almost a year since I've used my iron and my routine is so much easier; pretty much wash and go.

Today's routine: Wash with a sulfate free shampoo (Giovanni Smooth as Silk), condition with a cone free conditioner (Dermorganics Deep Treatment Masque), pure argan oil on damp hair to seal, damp bun. Argan oil on dry hair to detangle and help define waves. I never brush. I have a wide wooden comb I use for my roots and finger comb my length. Occasionally use coconut oil as a pre wash. Use SMT as needed. Cones are used during winter only.

Loviatar
March 29th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Before LHC:

Washed twice, standing upright in shower, with shampoo for oily hair
Never conditioned
Brushed wet with ball tipped paddle brush
Brushed from crown to ends without detangling
Used tons of 'volumising' mousse and spray
Blow dried daily with head upside down then brushed it all out with head upright
Dyed hair monthly at salon, always dyed the whole length
Had layers cut in

...wondered why I never got past BSL

Now:
Used shampoo bars from pixie to chin
Wash bent forward over bath - works really well for me
Now CO washing
Detangled with fingers then wide tooth comb from ends upward
Brush once a day
No heat
Deep condition weekly
Cassia treatments sometimes
No chemical dye
Leave in conditioner on ends

Rinna
April 1st, 2014, 07:57 AM
Most of my life I didn't care about my hair at all. I had no idea that what I was doing was damaging. Never actually gave my hair's condition a second thought.

- I ripped a brush through my curly hair every day, sometimes more than once, taking no prisoners.
- I shed LOTS of hair, and never saw it as a problem, 'cause there's lots more when it came from! I was terribly surprised when a hairdresser told me I had thin hair... What, this lion's mane, thin? No way!
- I dyed my dark brown hair using the blondest box dye I could find, once a month. Not just roots, either, the entire length!
- Never cleaned the scalp while washing, I'd just lather up the shampoo (twice) and be done.
- Didn't use conditioner (Mom said it was bad for your hair, and I believed her)

Now I'm trying to grow out my color (though it's hard, and I've relapsed before). I co-wash weekly most of the time, with the occasional clarifying shampoo now and then. I don't brush, only comb when it's wet and loaded with conditioner. I experiment with oils and leave-ins. I read ingredient lists.

Wish I could say my hair is perfectly manageable now, but that would be a lie. I'm still a frizzhead with tons of dry and split ends. But at least it's not a poufy lion's mane anymore.