PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get extreme anxiety when going to a salon for a hair trim?

TheGoddess
March 23rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
I can't do the whole getting my hair trimmed periodically to remove split ends because Ive had so many bad experiences with hair stylists who take off way too much, not to mention they make me pay 40-60 bucks for a hair trim just because I have long hair -__-. And since I don't go often I don't have someone I can trust to do exactly what I want, Last time I found someone She had quit her job when I tried to get an appointment with her. Do you think it's ok if I just let my hair grow to the length I want it with a bit of s&d everyday. I was thinking of growing it past the length I want it so that I can cut off the ends when the time comes and It will look great. It would take 2 years. What do you all think?

kmoc123
March 23rd, 2014, 10:59 AM
I trim my own hair or let my daughter do it. I've had too many horrible experiences with "trims" that turn into 6 inch chop offs. NO NO NO!

spidermom
March 23rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
No problems with my stylist. Finding a good one is gold.

Your plan sounds all right to me. You can also learn to self-trim. It isn't hard.

dulce
March 23rd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Yep,self trim or buy a creaclip[demos on utube] or get a trusted family member or friend to trim..

AmberMuffinz
March 23rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
I've been cutting my own hair for years now. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

alishaxmarie
March 23rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
Feye's Self-trim Method (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/)

You should be fine S&D-ing as long as you don't mind fairy tailing (I like spelling it tail instead of tale) but I thought I'd drop the trimming link here since no one else bothered to :) I did my first self-trim the other day and it feels straight and it looks straight according to my bf but my hair is pretty wavy so even if it was slightly uneven, no one would notice. Since your hair is straight, you might want to have a friend close by to fix your hair if you mess it up if you do decide to trim it yourself rather than just S&D.

chen bao jun
March 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM
I'd rather go to the dentist than go to a hairstylist. Seriously. Yes, it gives me anxiety to even think about.
Your plan sounds good.
I had good luck with my son's barber last time. that was actually a GOOD experience.

TheGoddess
March 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM
I also have layers so I can't have anyone inexperienced cut my hair :(
Is there a way to trim your own hair if it's layered?

swearnsue
March 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
Yes, you can cut your own layers. There are tons of YouTube vids. If you cut your hair yourself, think of the hair toys you could buy with the $60 you saved!!!!!

Stormynights
March 23rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
This is just my opinion on trimming long hair YMMV. It should be trimmed dry while you are standing. If you have extra long hair you should be standing on a stool. The cape needs to be very thin and light so the hair will hang straight and turned backwards. I had a lot of girls object to my trimming methods, but for me it just made sense. I hated having to shampoo their hair because the hair laying in the bottom of the shampoo bowl just made a tangled mess of it, then I had to untangle and dry it before trimming. Wet hair stretches so it had to be dry. It is easier to see what really needs trimmed on dry hair. I would always show them where I thought it should be trimmed before I ever picked up scissors. There were times when they actually wanted more trimmed than I thought was needed, but the agreement was decided on before the scissors were even picked up. I never charged extra for a simple trim, but if I had to shampoo untangle and dry the hair first the price went up. I never saw these girls often, but they came back. If you don't know where to go for trims find someone else with long hair and ask them where they go.

Just my 2 cents.

molljo
March 23rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Ugh, yes, I HATE going to the stylist. I also had the misfortune of finding a good one that ended up moving several hundred miles away. From what I've read, many many others have found their way to this forum by choosing to grow it long rather than continue playing Russian Roulette with a stylist.
Others have pointed out all the tried and true DIY cutting methods, and I'm going to second watching lots and lots of youtube videos to get a good handle on how to go about doing it.

alishaxmarie
March 23rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
I think cutting layers is very specific to the person since everyone's layers are very very different. I don't have experience with cutting my own layers either; I know how to give myself layers with a compact cut but I've never trimmed layers given to me by a stylist. I have trimmed my friend's super short layers before (her hair is shoulder length), I just looked for split ends and cut them and made sure her hair didn't look uneven after I got all the splits. Therefore, I second the suggestions to check youtube and blogs and hopefully more experienced self-trimmers will come by! :) Good luck though!

Madora
March 23rd, 2014, 01:29 PM
Your plan for daily S and D sounds fine, TheGoddess. But don't just rely on that. Take other measures as well, such as wearing your hair up, using a silk/satin pillowcase cover, air drying, and avoiding anything harmful (straightening/blow frying, etc.). Be sure your shears are good and sharp and that you S and D in good light.

Steffid87
March 23rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
I was a nervous wreck when I moved because I'd be leaving behind my amazing hairstylist!! I just got my yearly trim from a new hairstylist and it was WONDERFUL! I went into every beauty parlor here in the area and asked specifically for any beauticians that had experience with long hair, and long hair growth. There were 4 in town, and I narrowed it down between them by finding out if they had experience and good dealings with wavy/curly hair. I had the consultation before the haircut and we agreed that the least amount of trim the better. My ends weren't too pretty so we ended up taking off about a cm's worth, but my ends are so much healthier now. My advice is just take your time finding someone that knows how important it is to you for growing hair.

MissBubble
March 23rd, 2014, 09:06 PM
I get anxious, too. I had found a great stylist that did what I wanted but was also very helpful and honest with me. It was always a pleasure to be there for a trim or treatment. But I moved and couldnt find anyone good. They either cut a lot or made me feel uncomfortamble with my hair in order to buy their products. Or both.
I also dont like the way my hair is treated with the brushes and combs and heat. It is violence to me to comb or brush my hair like they do.
I trim myself now but I d like to try someone who is basically just for trims, like a barber.

AmyBeth
March 23rd, 2014, 09:32 PM
At this point, it's not so much anxiety at the thought of a salon visit, so much as the pleasure it is to do my own hair styling, trimming and coloring. I feel really good knowing that my hair destiny is in my own hands, so to speak. I never really found salon visits relaxing anyway. I love being able to take care of whatever my hair needs, at home and on my own time and my own dime.

Hairitic
March 24th, 2014, 05:14 PM
You might want to look into finding a BARBER to cut your hair. I checked the yellow pages, called the local barbers. One sounded scared to try cutting a woman's hair. :confused:. Another was exclusively for men AND expensive. The third was a woman barber who owns her own shop. She listened to me, was happy to use my Tangle Teezer and cut exactly the amount I asked her to cut. I've been back and got the same great service. She charges $13.00 and I gladly give her $20.00. ;). I was advised to try a barber by other LHC'ers. It's worth a shot, perhaps.

ErinLeigh
March 24th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Yes, very extreme anxiety. I always get my hair ruined also so that doesn't help.
I love the feeling of freshly trimmed hair but the anxiety I get before the salon visit is insane. I am actually paralyzed with stress in the chair.
I cannot speak up for myself when it comes to stylists. No matter what is happening I will sit there and take it while crying on the inside (yes I know I have issues, it stems way back) I end up unhappy. Its a horrible cycle that will only end with self trims for me I think. Even once the cut is done I cannot bring myself to tell the stylist I do not like it. If they did something I didn't ask for I wont speak up either. I give them a big tip and leave. Its really crazy.

Regarding the self trims, If you are just microtrimming you can do the layers also. You wont be changing the shape of them if you just nip the tips of them with the scissors. Just section the hair and follow the lines already there. IF you want to change the shape then there are some videos on youtube I am viewing now actually that seem helpful.

lapushka
March 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I also have layers so I can't have anyone inexperienced cut my hair :(
Is there a way to trim your own hair if it's layered?

Yes, there's something called the "compact cut" method. You basically either put a ponytail on the top of your head and cut (for longer layers), or you put a ponytail on the top of your forehead for short layers. I wouldn't recommend it if your hair is shorter than BSL, though! My hair is hip+ and my shortest layer (with method n°2) is APL+.

ARG
March 24th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I was really nervous after my mom (who has very short hair) recommended her stylist, but before I sat in the chair and had the cape on, I showed her how much I wanted cut. I didn't tell her half an inch, I showed her. It worked, now I can go in there and sit down happily and just say "a trim" and she knows exactly what I want. And she's really cheap, she charges my husband and I the same for our trims.

Before her, I was carefully S&Ding and trimming on my own with pretty good success. I typically wear my hair up, so if my haircut was off or looked funny, only I knew.

HoneyDayTripper
March 24th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Salons in general terrify me. I've had too many bad experiences. I ask for half an inch, show them with my fingers, and walk out with 2 inches gone. My hair also tangles and breaks extremely easily. I have to untangle it very slowly and carefully from the ends first, with oil, then slowly work my way up from there, or else it rips. If I go to a salon and they shampoo my hair, it gets insanely tangled. I have had stylists tell me they've never seen tangles as bad as mine. Many stylists realize it's going to take them forever to untangle it, especially if they have other clients waiting, so they go at it with a fine tooth comb and rip it to try to speed the process. It's painfully awkward, because I always first explain how delicate my hair is and that it takes forever to untangle without breaking, but they just seem defensive like they think I don't trust them or something. So I hold my breath for the first part of the appointment, and if I hear the godawful ripping I try first to give them subtle hints. I've also told them they can do another client's hair and I will sit quietly and untangle it, but they seem really weirded out by this request. I have also had to ask them to stop, but it's so awkward. I finally found a stylist who is amazing and passionate about not damaging hair-- she'll spend as much time is needed to do the job without damaging it. When I work overseas (have done it a few years) I can't even go to a salon. I made that mistake once, and the stylist ripped my virgin hair with a metal comb and caused so much breakage I left in tears. Never again. Why can't more stylists understand how upsetting all those rips are? Rip rip rip rip-- I cringe at each one. I'm counting down the months until I'm back home and can go to my trusted stylist. Until then it's search and destroy trimming and protective styles.

alishaxmarie
March 28th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Salons in general terrify me. I've had too many bad experiences. I ask for half an inch, show them with my fingers, and walk out with 2 inches gone. My hair also tangles and breaks extremely easily. I have to untangle it very slowly and carefully from the ends first, with oil, then slowly work my way up from there, or else it rips. If I go to a salon and they shampoo my hair, it gets insanely tangled. I have had stylists tell me they've never seen tangles as bad as mine. Many stylists realize it's going to take them forever to untangle it, especially if they have other clients waiting, so they go at it with a fine tooth comb and rip it to try to speed the process. It's painfully awkward, because I always first explain how delicate my hair is and that it takes forever to untangle without breaking, but they just seem defensive like they think I don't trust them or something. So I hold my breath for the first part of the appointment, and if I hear the godawful ripping I try first to give them subtle hints. I've also told them they can do another client's hair and I will sit quietly and untangle it, but they seem really weirded out by this request. I have also had to ask them to stop, but it's so awkward. I finally found a stylist who is amazing and passionate about not damaging hair-- she'll spend as much time is needed to do the job without damaging it. When I work overseas (have done it a few years) I can't even go to a salon. I made that mistake once, and the stylist ripped my virgin hair with a metal comb and caused so much breakage I left in tears. Never again. Why can't more stylists understand how upsetting all those rips are? Rip rip rip rip-- I cringe at each one. I'm counting down the months until I'm back home and can go to my trusted stylist. Until then it's search and destroy trimming and protective styles.

:shocked: :wail: :grouphug: You poor poor thing! You make me never ever want to go to a salon AGAIN!

Bloom
March 28th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I feel like stylists never do what I want them to- and they have ALWAYS taken off more than I asked for :(

seamstress
March 31st, 2014, 10:23 PM
I've given up on salons completelty. I think I've gotten 2 or 3 haircuts I've been satisfied with ever. The final straw was when I started doing cg and I wanted the stylist to cut it dry. First time, the lady told me I couldn't do that. When I insisted, she brushed out all my curls and trimmed it that way. Terrible idea.

The second time, I get a stylist (always a walk-in. I know. >.<) whose own hair is long but concerningly ratty, like maybe she backcombed just the top layer with a balloon just before she went to work. I told her not to wash my hair, so she picks up a spray bottle and sprays down half of my head before I can articulate well enough to tell her no. Then she combs out the rest and cuts my hair half-wet half-dry. It was visibly uneven when it dried- each half of my head's curls had a different weight and it looked absolutely terrible. I called the salon back to complain and got my hair cut by one of the higher-ups as compensation, but the damage had already been done.

After that, I got my own pair of scissors and did a bunch or research. I haven't given myself a haircut that I can't live with yet. In fact, I tend to like it better. I cut my own hair dry and uncombed with a bit of gel in it, the way I style it when it's down. I have a hand mirror to help me out with the back. I've even taken more than an inch off one time and another time I added some tiny layers on the bottom. It works for me, and no more tear-inducing haircuts.

MaryO
April 1st, 2014, 03:44 AM
I will have to have a lot of hair to waste before I'll go to a hairdresser again (which probably won't happen!!) I have never liked hairstylists and I really hope that I won't need to go for long. I recently got a creaclip to straighten out my hem and had my sister helped me- we only took off about a centimetre and I was having trouble breathing so we'll try again in another couple of months and so on until the hem looks like I want it! :-D

dededede123
April 1st, 2014, 04:01 AM
I've given up on going to a hair salon for a trim and just self trim using the above instructions. Besides the fact that I've never been able to trust the hairdresser at the salon and get somewhat anxious every single time, the way they lecture or try to tell me how I'm supposed to take care of my hair/how much more I should cut off gets grating. It is also more expensive because my hair is at my knees. The self-trimming is easy and took me less than 20 minutes, as opposed to the hour and a half visit a salon would take.

Frozen_Farmgirl
April 2nd, 2014, 07:15 PM
I haven't gone to a hair dresser in years. If I want a trim my brother or sister does it for me. They don't let me return the favor though.. because I can't cut evenly

seamstress
April 2nd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Why do the stylists always have to lecture? It's your hair, you've been living with it all your life, but still they know best how it moves and acts? It just doesn't make sense to me...:confused:

HoneyDayTripper
April 2nd, 2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks! At least the silver lining is longer growth ;)

ScarlettAdelle
April 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM
I'm a hairdresser, and I feel your pain. I only let one person touch my hair. Unfortunately, there do exist a thing called hairdresser inches, which can vary between 1.5 and 2 inches to others.

When I was behind the chair, I had almost exclusively long hair clients. Easiest thing to do is have them cut it dry and show them using your hair how much you want off. Hair stretches when wet, and it's difficult to gauge how much shrinkage there'll be.

dellad
April 4th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I've dreaded hairdressers ever since the age of nine, when one of them cut off my apl hair and gave me a hideous mushroom cut. Up until a year ago, my mom trimmed my hair. Last year, I moved to NYC and after a few months, finally mustered up the nerve to go to the GM salon. The ladies there trim dry and are very respectful of not taking off too much length. It's a bit pricy, so I probably won't go there for trims very often, but I do love their treatments.

Long_hair_bear
April 4th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Yes, even though I completely trust my hair dresser of 10 years. :)

Violet Raine
April 5th, 2014, 02:47 AM
I've never been to a salon and I'm terrified of going to one. One of my friends had really lovely, super-healthy knee length hair and went to a salon for a trim-- they chopped about half of it off, claiming that she needed to 'get rid of the dead hairs'.

CurlyCap
April 5th, 2014, 04:30 AM
I think there are lots of good haircutters out there. The problem is, I think few are willing to admit when they've reached the end of their comfort zone. So they accept the appointment even when they shouldn't. Or don't ask questions when they should.

Statements that make me leave an appointment:
-Hair is hair
-Curly hair is all the same
-You need layering to control your type of hair
-You need to straighten your hair to get an accurate cut.

Also:
-Reaching for a small black comb to detangle me
-Frustration with how much conditioner my hair takes up.

I had a great haircutter for years, but she admitted she was only comfortable with doing very layered cuts on my hair type. I went to her for years and tipped her heavily to thank her for taking extra time. But when I decided to grow my hair out, I realized I would need to cut my own hair because after 2-3 visits to various salons in my area, I gave up.

Some of my friends are trying to get me to try a few salons that typically cater to type 4 hair, but I admit I have my reservations there. In fact, I have a worse gut response to those salons from a childhood of people trying to convince me to perm my hair straight. But apparently, type 4 hair culture is changing and I need to go exploring again.

Nachtschatten
April 5th, 2014, 06:40 AM
I too.
The last time I was in a salon, the hairdresser was really nice, but she tried to give my hair a shape. She also complained by shampooing my hair that I have too much hair and there is no place for it in the tube. And those days my hair was only waist length or tailbone, I don't remember. She said I shouldn't come back to her, so I didn't. It was maybe 10 years ago. Since then I always trim my hair by myself.
One cm every month, because I was totally happy with the length. Then one year my scissors broke, my hair grew to classic length and I discovered that the new length is much more comfortable.
Now I have hairdresser's shears and I keep trimming my hair, because I'm totally happy with the length.
As I wear my hair down only once a year, it isn't that important if it's a little bit uneven.

So, I'm still terrified of going to a salon, but I know, that I don't have to do it.

synchrostatic
April 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I figured I'd post here since I went to a salon yesterday. My bangs were too long and I wanted to trim my face-framing layers a bit. I was super nervous, but I ended up with a lady who had a son with bcl hair and a daughter with hip length hair, so she understood when I only wanted the ends trimmed a bit with some front maintenance. The best part is, it was a Fantastic Sams, so it only ended up costing me 16, but 20 with tip.

KehtaNier
April 5th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Well, I trust my current stylist... But when I move I'm going to have to find someone else. The thought of trying to find someone new freaks me out a bit.

pinchbeck
April 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I get my ends trimmed regularly and go to a cheapo hairdressers in my are. To ensure they don't take off more than 1/4" I ask them to show me how much their going to cut before the first snip. I always walk out with neatened ends and nobody can tell it has been cut. I trust the hairdressers at the place I go to and they know me now.

Of course I've had hairdressers cut my hair so my hemline in on an angle which had to be rectified by having more cut off in order to make it straight-across. And I've had hairdressers layer the crap out of my hair when I asked for subtle layers which those took a long time to grow out. Yes I was steaming!

walterSCAN
April 5th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Yep, which is why I do it myself now. No anxiety at all! :D

Lady Mary
April 5th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Yes, completely. I feel like I must been terrible at communicating what I want because it always ends up wrong. Doesn't help that I had to take my glasses off to have it cut and I can't see what they're doing. I just cut it myself now, saves me money and unneeded stress.

molljo
April 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Yes, completely. I feel like I must been terrible at communicating what I want because it always ends up wrong. Doesn't help that I had to take my glasses off to have it cut and I can't see what they're doing. I just cut it myself now, saves me money and unneeded stress.

Yes, this! I have terrible eyesight, so every haircut is basically a makeover in the sense that I have no real idea of what's going on until the finished product. No idea what tools are being used, no idea how much hair is being cut until I feel it come off, and by then it's too late! Everything's a sad blur of color blobs until I put my glasses back on. It doesn't help that I despise contacts, and it would be a huge waste just to get them for my incredibly infrequent trips to the salon.
I wonder if there's a correlation between those of us who wear glasses and those of us who fear professional cuts? Anyone with good eyesight/contacts want to weigh in?

ositarosita
April 5th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I trim and cut myself ... after I finish blending my bangs into my shortest layer I plan on not cutting or trimming for 18 months

Azura
April 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I have always feared going to the salon. I always came out with the complete opposite of what I wanted! I can only remember one good cut in my whole life. I've recently learned to trim my own hair, so I'll never have that problem again!

ScarlettAdelle
April 5th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Yes, this! I have terrible eyesight, so every haircut is basically a makeover in the sense that I have no real idea of what's going on until the finished product. No idea what tools are being used, no idea how much hair is being cut until I feel it come off, and by then it's too late! Everything's a sad blur of color blobs until I put my glasses back on. It doesn't help that I despise contacts, and it would be a huge waste just to get them for my incredibly infrequent trips to the salon.
I wonder if there's a correlation between those of us who wear glasses and those of us who fear professional cuts? Anyone with good eyesight/contacts want to weigh in?

Have your consultation with your glasses on, discuss your long-term and sort-term goals, voice concerns about having had people take too much off in the past, bring pictures, discuss how much you want taken off and where prior to removing your glasses and have the hairdresser confirm by using their comb as a ruler so that you know that your "just this much" matches their "just this much."

MadeiraD
April 5th, 2014, 11:06 PM
I used to (when I was less attached to my mane) LOVE going to the salon, I have had some really cool hairdressers, however the last time I went in for a trim the lady started "texturizing" my hair and had done one section (read chopping in layers) before I stopped her. My poor hair is still recovering.

I find the trick is to find a hairdresser who's sense of style is like your own

legendya
April 6th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Not really. I pay attention to what they are doing to my hair and tell them if I don't like what they are doing. I don't go to salons anymore; it is hard to find a good place for super curly hair.

walterSCAN
April 6th, 2014, 06:15 AM

Me too! This was a HUGE part of my salon anxiety before I started self-trimming (and got contacts). I literally can't see anything beyond my own nose without correction. Super scary. In fact, it was the main reason I got the awful, awful cut (eyebrow-length "bangs" that started back behind my ears!!! In middle school, you know, that period in your life when body image is at an all time high and your peers are positive and supportive. :rolleyes:) that made me refuse to let anyone else cut my hair ever again.

Lady Mary
April 6th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Me too! This was a HUGE part of my salon anxiety before I started self-trimming (and got contacts). I literally can't see anything beyond my own nose without correction. Super scary. In fact, it was the main reason I got the awful, awful cut (eyebrow-length "bangs" that started back behind my ears!!! In middle school, you know, that period in your life when body image is at an all time high and your peers are positive and supportive. :rolleyes:) that made me refuse to let anyone else cut my hair ever again.

Same, I can't see a damn thing. It really added to the anxiety. I had a similar experience in middle school, 7th grade I think, where the lady did some "bangs" if you could call them that and butchered the back. I refused to get a haircut for years after that. I eventually gave in (family pressure) and wish I hadn't. p.s. I love your hair (especially the prandana shot!)

Paulini
April 6th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I'm always nervous when having my hair cut... I've a scheduled appointment in over a month with a supposedly very good hairdresser and I'm already scared :P

patienceneeded
April 6th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Wow, it seems that almost everyone is either scared of stylists or haircuts. Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe my personality and demeanor is such that I've always gotten exactly what I asked for at a salon. Now, what I asked for did not always equal the best cut and/or color, but it WAS what I wanted at the time. Occasionally I regretted my choices, but it was always my choice. I do not understand why so many people are fearful or have had horrible experiences.

I think that I'm used to giving orders and having them obeyed. I instruct, demonstrate, model, instruct again, and then ask to be shown. I clarify, and then monitor progress. I do not play on my phone or otherwise ignore my stylist, I am fully aware the entire time I am in the chair. I am not shy about speaking up and will not hesitate to correct someone. I have gone to the high-price salons, the cheap salons, and even barber shops. I have had experienced and inexperienced stylists. I've even gone to the beauty schools for cuts before. I've never found it to be awful, and my stylists have always been willing and happy to do what I wanted.

walterSCAN
April 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Same, I can't see a damn thing. It really added to the anxiety. I had a similar experience in middle school, 7th grade I think, where the lady did some "bangs" if you could call them that and butchered the back. I refused to get a haircut for years after that. I eventually gave in (family pressure) and wish I hadn't. p.s. I love your hair (especially the prandana shot!)

Thank you! :o

Yeah, I cried for hours when I got home from that cut. :( Fortunately, the rest of it was long enough to pull back, so I lived for about a year with an oh-so attractive line of clips (remember these? (http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/products/1602_2104-33281-silver_metal_snap_hair_clips.html?utm_source=googl ep&utm_medium=gpfeed&utm_campaign=gpfeed&gclid=CNax1_mrzL0CFcdaMgodcQ4AKQ)) across the top of my head to hide the bangs.

Lady Mary
April 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Thank you! :o

Yeah, I cried for hours when I got home from that cut. :( Fortunately, the rest of it was long enough to pull back, so I lived for about a year with an oh-so attractive line of clips (remember these? (http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/products/1602_2104-33281-silver_metal_snap_hair_clips.html?utm_source=googl ep&utm_medium=gpfeed&utm_campaign=gpfeed&gclid=CNax1_mrzL0CFcdaMgodcQ4AKQ)) across the top of my head to hide the bangs.

I had a horrible headband, reeeeeally unattractive. Looking back at the photos is downright embarrassing. Thank goodness I learned to cut it myself!

veryhairyfairy
April 7th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Oh goodness, this whole thread makes me want to :grouphug: give you all a hug!
I can't even wrap my head around the bravery of getting a hair cut from someone you don't trust, especially if you've had bad experiences before!

I feel lucky that I grew up poor so my parents never had the extra funds for a professional hair cut for me. I've never had a professional cut, so I've never had that experience of sitting blind and not knowing what I'll end up with. My Mom does a great job cutting a straight line, and I can trust her to dust the ends or cut off the exact amount I want, and she can even give me the slight U shape I've come to like! And I, in turn, give her and my sisters trims and cuts when they ask.

We should start a long-hair network of good stylists and amateurs who are good enough to give a straight hem. ;)

PurpleSunshine
April 7th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I've only gotten my hair trimmed at a professional shop a few times, when I was younger than eight, since I wouldn't sit still, so my mom couldn't hold me and cut at the same time. My mom used to have a hairdresser license or what ever it's called, not exactly sure. So she usually does the cutting and trimming, which I rarely get done(twice in the past 6 years I have trimmed my hair), I am nervous about even her cutting since her 1/2 inch is about 2 inches. I have to make her show me like 5 times what 1/2 inch is before letting the scissors near. But yes I am nervous about going to salons. The few times I have went to get my hair darkened, all the hairdressers have been rude, so I don't like going. So my mom does all my hair trimming.

chen bao jun
April 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Curly cap,be very careful with hairdressers that specialize in type 4 hair. the culture hasn't changed all that much. And they usually do not understand type 3c hair. I don't think you need a haircut, in any case.

I think there are lots of good haircutters out there. The problem is, I think few are willing to admit when they've reached the end of their comfort zone. So they accept the appointment even when they shouldn't. Or don't ask questions when they should.

Statements that make me leave an appointment:
-Hair is hair
-Curly hair is all the same
-You need layering to control your type of hair
-You need to straighten your hair to get an accurate cut.

Also:
-Reaching for a small black comb to detangle me
-Frustration with how much conditioner my hair takes up.

I had a great haircutter for years, but she admitted she was only comfortable with doing very layered cuts on my hair type. I went to her for years and tipped her heavily to thank her for taking extra time. But when I decided to grow my hair out, I realized I would need to cut my own hair because after 2-3 visits to various salons in my area, I gave up.

Some of my friends are trying to get me to try a few salons that typically cater to type 4 hair, but I admit I have my reservations there. In fact, I have a worse gut response to those salons from a childhood of people trying to convince me to perm my hair straight. But apparently, type 4 hair culture is changing and I need to go exploring again.