PDA

View Full Version : Low body temps and hair growth

upnorthmama
March 23rd, 2014, 07:12 AM
Apparently low metabolism is connected with slow growing hair and nails, as well as a host of other health issues. I've been reading Matt Stone's Diet Recovery and following his recommendations for raising my metabolism for about 2 months now. My morning temp is around 96.8, which is 2 degrees lower than optimum temp! Has anyone else read this book, or noticed a connection with low metabolism and their hair growth?

Marika
March 23rd, 2014, 07:37 AM
My body temp has always been really low (so low I sometimes feel feverish because of that) but my hair and especially nail growth is fast. And I don't think I have slow metabolism because it's very easy for me to lose weight for example. I don't know...it seems like there's a diet book for everything nowadays.

goldenlady
March 23rd, 2014, 07:53 AM
I have a super high metabolism - I'm always boiling hot. My hair grows reasonably quickly (although not as quick as I'd like) but my nails grow so super fast. I cut them off every week and my flatmate always finds it amazing how long they grow in just 7 days.

Jasperine
March 23rd, 2014, 08:03 AM
I know that my body temp is slightly higher than normal and that my metabolism always has been really good cos of my active lifestyle, but my hair and nails only seem to grow at an average speed :) Really interesting though, I'd like to know more about this!

Avital88
March 23rd, 2014, 08:22 AM
i didnt know a low bodytemp and low metabolism were related.. my bodytemp is also low but my hair grows super fast and i think my metabolism is normal to fast but not impressively fast.
that mostly depends on my activity level and healthy or not so healthy diet.. the healthier i eat the faster my metabolism seems..
but im cold very quickly and get usually also cold fever instead of high ones..

jacqueline101
March 23rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
I have an up and down metabolism. I just wish mine would be happy. My hair is growing steadily right now.

upnorthmama
March 23rd, 2014, 11:03 AM
There is a whole list for symptoms of low metabolism-dry skin, cold hands and feet, poor sleep, frequent bathroom trips, as well as the slow growing nails and hair. The idea is to eat lots of warming foods to bring up your body temp/metabolism. Coconut oil is huge for body temp, so I have been aiming for eating 2-3 TBSP/day. My hair seems to be growing faster (need to measure again next week), but that could be due to the Biotin supplement that I have been taking.

walterSCAN
March 23rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
I have low body temperature, low blood pressure, constantly cold hands and feet, a sorta high metabolism, and my hair and nails grow slightly faster than average. :shrug: I always tend to be a little off though, in terms of what my body should be doing/ how it should be reacting to things.

Chromis
March 23rd, 2014, 12:06 PM
Low body temp, super fast nail and hair grower here. A lot of those diet books are full of odd psuedoscience and two degrees lower is still well within normal.

swearnsue
March 23rd, 2014, 12:17 PM
Low body temp, super fast nail and hair grower here. A lot of those diet books are full of odd psuedoscience and two degrees lower is still well within normal.

Especially first thing in the morning our temps are lower anyway.

monsoonstorm
March 23rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
All of the above symptoms can also be indicative of thyroid problems. May be worth getting it checked out.

maborosi
March 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM
I have a low body temp but don't notice an unusually slow growth rate for my hair or nails- in fact, my nails grow ridiculously fast.
I have a diagnosed thyroid problem and while I've never had problems with growth, if you think it's an issue, you might consider going to a doctor to see if that could be an issue for you.

~maborosi~

spidermom
March 23rd, 2014, 12:27 PM
My body temp tends low, last reading was 95.7 in late morning. My hair averages slightly faster growth than normal (2/3 inch per month). I don't doubt a slow metabolism as losing weight is hard. I can work hard for weeks to lose 2 pounds, then gain it back in a day.