PDA

View Full Version : Prom hair suggestions?

Doreen
March 23rd, 2014, 12:28 AM
For prom (5 April), I have an open-backed dress so I really want to do an updo with it; however, I'm having a hard time trying to find one that will work for me. My hair is a bit past fingertip length with a blunt hem, 1a/C/iii. I also have straight-across bangs. I would like a style that

does not require teasing
isn't completely slicked back; I would like some volume on the sides so that it looks pretty in the front for photos
does not take a long time to do -- I will have to leave work and hurry to get ready
does not take a lot of skill to do, meaning I could do it on myself (I can french braid, dutch braid, 5 strand braid, but that's about as complicated as I can do to myself that still looks presentable)
will hold up through dinner, a 5 block walk from the parking lot to school, and 3+ hours of crazy dancing!
uses minimal amounts of bobby pins, as they tend to slip out of my hair on a day-to-day basis and would probably slip even faster when dancing.
won't give me a headache (aka not on top of my head ;P)

I'd love to hear any suggestions you all have about this, either for specific styles or maybe general solutions to some of the problems I've faced so far. I guess I'm just looking for some direction to go in!!

Doreen
March 23rd, 2014, 12:31 AM
Also, I'm fine with using a curling iron and hairspray on it just for the one night.

Stormynights
March 23rd, 2014, 12:40 AM
There are a lot of pretty styles on Youtube.

Quixii
March 23rd, 2014, 01:10 AM
Oh! For my senior prom I had almost the exact same requirements, and I followed this tutorial (http://youtu.be/toJ62kbXL0w) from Torrinpaige. I left out small sections in the front just curled, but everything else was basically the same. I really liked it, and actually do a variation of the style often to this day.

Let me dig out a picture and I'll edit this post when I find it. :)
ETA: Here we are.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/promhairsm_zps1318448e.jpg
Looking back, I probably would have practised just a bit more before hand to make sure everything hung where I wanted it to, but overall I found it easy and pretty. :)

walterSCAN
March 23rd, 2014, 07:48 AM
Ooo, Quixii, that looks so pretty on you!

I was going to suggest doing a face-framing french or dutch braid on either side of your head for volume/ interest, leaving some tendrils hanging down to soften it (you could curl them or not), and then do some sort of low bun with the length. (and use a pretty matching hairtoy, of course!)