PDA

View Full Version : Removing olive oil from hair?

Arwenlily
March 22nd, 2014, 05:14 PM
I prefer to not use conditioner and I usually wash with an oil based shampoo that has similar ingredients to a shampoo bar followed by an acv rinse. Is it possible to get out an olive oil pre-wash out of my hair without using conditioner or a harsh shampoo?

lapushka
March 22nd, 2014, 05:18 PM
Is it possible to get out an olive oil pre-wash out of my hair without using conditioner or a harsh shampoo?

What on earth are you going to get the oil out with, when not using conditioner or shampoo? There's milder shampoos as well, if you don't want a harsh one. Water alone is not going to cut it, I'm afraid, and things like BS are too harsh as well. Vinegar won't do it either, nor will a citric acid rinse.

jeanniet
March 22nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
Oil removes oil, so your oil-based shampoo might work. Otherwise, you might need to use something stronger. If you haven't already put the olive oil in your hair, do it lightly. IME olive oil is sometimes not so easy to remove.

swearnsue
March 22nd, 2014, 05:24 PM
The oil based shampoo you usually use might work. Try shampooing through twice with very warm water.

Arwenlily
March 22nd, 2014, 05:57 PM
The oil based shampoo you usually use might work. Try shampooing through twice with very warm water.

I'll try and see what happens. I haven't tried doing a pre-wash with this shampoo yet so I guess I'll have to try to find out. If it doesn't work, I might have to try a CO-wash.

Henna Girl
March 22nd, 2014, 11:30 PM
I use a shampoo bar to remove olive oil very nicely from my hair every time I oil. It works really fine.

ErinLeigh
March 22nd, 2014, 11:42 PM
I have a shampoo with olive and coconut oil listed as some of the few ingredients. No sulfates or non sulfate cleansers.
It gets the oil out of my hair really well, so I would give the oil shampoo a try. It works for me.

If it doesn't work, at least it won't hurt trying.

Night_Kitten
March 23rd, 2014, 03:12 PM
Perhaps leaving the shampoo you usually use for 5-10 minutes before washing giving it some time to "bond" with the oil and detach it from your hair could help?
From what you wrote the shampoo you use is very gentle, so I doubt leaving it on longer would cause any damage

Also the washing twice idea swearnsue suggested sounds good :)

sarahthegemini
March 23rd, 2014, 03:31 PM
Why are you opposed to using conditioner to remove oil may I ask?

NuclearApple
March 23rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
I guess it will work, Hot water helps a lot too!

Anje
March 23rd, 2014, 07:07 PM

This is what I'm wondering, too. For most LHCers, conditioner is a major reason why our hair is as healthy as it is.

Wildcat Diva
March 23rd, 2014, 07:41 PM
Some people report not being able to tolerate conditioner. Shedding and such. I'm not one of them, though.

Arwenlily
March 23rd, 2014, 11:15 PM

No matter what conditioner I use my hair seems to get over conditioned :( I've tried many and regardless of the type, cones or no-cones, my hair is limp and curl less. I also lost a lot of hair trying to CO-wash ... I since stopped doing that. I really wanted it to work but it just didn't.

Arwenlily
March 23rd, 2014, 11:19 PM
I have a shampoo with olive and coconut oil listed as some of the few ingredients. No sulfates or non sulfate cleansers.
It gets the oil out of my hair really well, so I would give the oil shampoo a try. It works for me.

If it doesn't work, at least it won't hurt trying.

It seemed to work but for some reason my hair feels waxy. I've been using this shampoo followed by an acv rinse for the past week or so but it keeps getting waxy. I wonder if it is because of hard water problems?

LunaLuvsU
March 23rd, 2014, 11:37 PM
I use a burts bees shampoo ^^ They are very gentle but expensive.

cdonald2
March 24th, 2014, 12:03 AM
shampoo bars seem to work fine after theyre washed with them. I dont see why it wont work. update and let us know how it went :)

ErinLeigh
March 24th, 2014, 02:19 AM
It seemed to work but for some reason my hair feels waxy. I've been using this shampoo followed by an acv rinse for the past week or so but it keeps getting waxy. I wonder if it is because of hard water problems?

I'm sorry to hear that. Hard water is such a pain. You could try a new shampoo. The one I love Fundamental Earth has sample sizes on Amazon.
It is very gentle yet cleansing and has ingredients like a shampoo bar also. It is the only natural shampoo I have found that doesn't leave me with slimy or straw like hair. I cannot rave about it enough.

Have you tried honey? It works well for me for removing oils and cleansing hair. I mix it with conditioner when I cowash so my hair isn't lank or greasy. You could mix with shampoo or do an egg wash with it perhaps? I guess it could over moisturize also but maybe it wouldn't have the same heavy effect as conditioners did?

I hope something works for you that doesn't compromise what you are trying to achieve. I am going to keep watching this thread to see if you find a solution.

Arwenlily
March 24th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Hard water is such a pain. You could try a new shampoo. The one I love Fundamental Earth has sample sizes on Amazon.
It is very gentle yet cleansing and has ingredients like a shampoo bar also. It is the only natural shampoo I have found that doesn't leave me with slimy or straw like hair. I cannot rave about it enough.

Have you tried honey? It works well for me for removing oils and cleansing hair. I mix it with conditioner when I cowash so my hair isn't lank or greasy. You could mix with shampoo or do an egg wash with it perhaps? I guess it could over moisturize also but maybe it wouldn't have the same heavy effect as conditioners did?

I hope something works for you that doesn't compromise what you are trying to achieve. I am going to keep watching this thread to see if you find a solution.

Thanks for the recommendation! I might switch, but I think first I might want to get a shower head filter and see if that helps with the hard water situation. I've been wondering if that is what has been causing so many problems for me.

I tried honey once for a deep conditioner but never to remove oils! I should give that a try, thanks :)