PDA

View Full Version : Destructive hair... is it really my super power?!

ravenreed
March 22nd, 2014, 04:17 PM
I was complaining to my oldest son about how my mouse pointer occasionally goes off in odd directions when it shouldn't. He flips the mouse over to look at it (he is my computer hardware expert) and pulls a rather impressive hairball out of the tiny hole where the laser is located. Hmm, problem solved, I guess! As I have posted before I have also killed THREE vacuums with my apparently nearly indestructible hair.

I know we have had similar threads on errant hairs, but have we had one specifically on what our hair has destroyed (or attempted to)? If so, mods please feel free to merge, otherwise, post away! What has your hair killed recently?

Verdandi
March 22nd, 2014, 04:43 PM
My hair eats those tiny claw clips for breakfast, but that is prettty much the only thing it have actually KILLED (except from elastics...). It tries to suffocate the vacuum on regular basis though. Oh, and the wheels on my computer chair!

Kaelee
March 22nd, 2014, 04:53 PM
There was a "your hair's kill list" thread around here somewhere....

My hair's greatest feat was snapping the handle off of a plastic detangling comb. :laugh:

ravenreed
March 22nd, 2014, 05:25 PM
My sons have complained that my hair is trying to take over the house. Perhaps it was trying to surf the net for opportunities for world domination. Maybe it has an alter-ego... (Or is an alter-ego!)

PrincessIdril
March 22nd, 2014, 05:33 PM
Anyone else find themselves compelled to check the underside of their mouse after reading this? lol

Touch wood, my hair hasn't killed anything other than elastics yet. Though it did make a spirited attempt to eat a spin pin the other week...

synchrostatic
March 22nd, 2014, 05:47 PM
My hair snapped a hair stylist's comb, once. She seemed a little miffed.

Kina
March 22nd, 2014, 06:10 PM
Mine doesn't destroy things. Mine is friendly, moody... it has personality

I've had it reaching out to people next to me on the bus, my sister jumped from her chair thinking a spider had landed on her when she was sitting next to me in a restaurant, my hair had reached across the space between us to say hello and was tickling her cheek.

it's tried to strangle my SO in his sleep, but I think I came to realize that it was really alive when it decided it liked a blouse and took the hanger off the wrack as I was walking by it.

synchrostatic
March 22nd, 2014, 06:27 PM
I think I came to realize that it was really alive when it decided it liked a blouse and took the hanger off the wrack as I was walking by it.

I bet that was a bit of a surprise. ;)

jacqueline101
March 22nd, 2014, 06:39 PM
Mine likes to break my wide tooth combs. I call it the comb destroyer.

Feline
March 22nd, 2014, 07:02 PM
Mine kills vacuum cleaners. We have to replace them on a regular basis. It broke a brush handle once. I also snag things like doorknobs, coat buttons (on other people :oops: ), shopping carts, etc, etc- I swear it reaches out to grab stuff.

Kina
March 22nd, 2014, 07:20 PM
I bet that was a bit of a surprise. ;)

Yup. Freaked my sister who was walking beside me out as well. :lol:

truepeacenik
March 22nd, 2014, 07:37 PM
Mine has tried to strangle my dear friend and massage mentor.

GoddesJourney
March 22nd, 2014, 11:14 PM
Mine snapped a couple of body shop combs when it was longer. It also seemed to laugh and spit out bobby pins so I gave up trying to use them I made those knitting needle ones and got those U pins from whoever it is that makes them and my hair reluctantly accepted (for the most part). It will drop one now and then and seems proud to do so. The great part is when I took down my hair one day and pulled out those knitting needle pins and the guy next to me was like, "Are those tent pegs?!" Haha. Thanks to torrid page I learned how to make sturdy hair pins.

ravenreed
March 23rd, 2014, 07:09 AM
Oh yes... I had to move one shelf in the bathroom because my hair would grab stuff on the shelf and hurl it on the ground!

Mine doesn't destroy things. Mine is friendly, moody... it has personality

I've had it reaching out to people next to me on the bus, my sister jumped from her chair thinking a spider had landed on her when she was sitting next to me in a restaurant, my hair had reached across the space between us to say hello and was tickling her cheek.

it's tried to strangle my SO in his sleep, but I think I came to realize that it was really alive when it decided it liked a blouse and took the hanger off the wrack as I was walking by it.

Lindenare
March 23rd, 2014, 07:23 AM
My hair has tried to smother people, eats or spits out pins depending on its mood, and has broken almost every clip and barrette that I've tried in it since childhood. The survivors I keep around even if I don't use them much, as it's so hard to find something that even sort of works. It's also broken quite a few elastics and jammed the wheels of anything that rolls on my floor.

LongHairLesbian
March 23rd, 2014, 09:50 AM
My hair is pretty non-violent, it's only broken flimsy elastics and one brush handle (I kept using the brush anyway, haha). But it seems to love self-sabotage. It tangles if you look at it funny, and is constantly getting caught in my zippers, partner's mouth, food, etc. Which is why wearing it up most of the time has been such a revelation for me; it can't fall into my food or get tangled in the zipper of my dress if it's tied back! :)

Kina
March 23rd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah, my significant other reminded me that my hair had killed the roomba. I think I may have blocked that out....

RIP Roomba :rip:

Nadine <3
March 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
My hair murdered my moms vaccuum. It's survived her hair, her two Siberian Huskies, AND her two long haired cats...but my hair killed it when she brought it over for me to use...I replaced it for her.

YamaMaya
March 23rd, 2014, 12:00 PM
My hair recently ate a hair fork I bought on amazon. I was not too happy when I bought it as it looked bigger in the picture, and after about a week of using it I heard a cracking sound, but it wasn't broken. Then one day I went to use it and the middle prong just came right out :(. I could probably repair it with wood glue but it's so flimsy I think I may just get my money back.

swearnsue
March 23rd, 2014, 12:27 PM
My hair broke a Goody claw clip. I was just squeezing it a tiny bit to push the teeth into my hair better and POP! SNAP! plastic bits all over.

Hair pins get spit out and are lost and have probably died of loneliness or waiting to kill the vacuum.

My hair might kill the next person that says "aren't you too old for long hair?".

Robot Ninja
March 23rd, 2014, 03:06 PM
My hair is a bit more subtle in its villainy. It doesn't really destroy things but I think it's trying to take over the apartment, with help from its minion, my daughter's hair. It's a constant battle between my hair and its archnemesis, that accursed broom.

GrowingOut
March 23rd, 2014, 03:57 PM
My hair broke my prettiest hair toy by knocking it off the counter and breaking one of the wings off it. (Dragonfly topper) Now I have learn to glue bone back together to fix the wing.

YesitsReal
March 23rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
My hair has always liked to munch on sticks. When I had BSL hair and longer, I didn't invest much money in sticks, because I knew they wouldn't last long. It also had a vendetta against plastic claw clips. One day, I'd be putting one in and SNAP. There went the teeth.

Wisé
March 23rd, 2014, 05:43 PM
Anyone else find themselves compelled to check the underside of their mouse after reading this?

Yep, I just checked the second I read it. :D

When I was still using brushes most of the time, my hair would always rip out the rubber bed (Well, I guess this should have told me that I wasn't gentle enough), when I switched to a wood brush it even broke some of the teeth (And at that time I already was gentler).

And I swear my hair wanted to protect me a few years ago from a not so great relationship through strangling my ex-boyfriend in an unexpected way. (Now that I think of it, he really was an unlucky guy. My dog also made a few attempts to incapacitate him.)

chen bao jun
March 23rd, 2014, 06:18 PM
Mine's most spectacular destruction was in a hairstylist's salon where it popped 2/3 of the teeth off one of those blow dryer comb attachments. One by one.They were flying all over, everyone was staring. This was two years ago, just before LHC.
My son gets mad because we have to sweep the floor before vacuuming to get all the hair BEFORE we get the vacuum cleaner going. Its an in the wall unit, don't want to destroy that.
Hairtoys, let's not even go there.It does not break ficcares, ketylos and LHC type hair toys, thank heaven.
My mom used to break 2 or 3 combs in half every week on my hair. This (and my screaming and crying everytime she looked as if she were going to comb my hair) was why she started having my hair straightened (it was a hot iron in those days, flat irons weren't invented yet) when I was eight years old. It was highly unusual then to straighten little girls' hair. People used to wait until the teen years.
When I see that our drain strainers are going, I get desperate. I have been known to drive to every Walmart, dollar store and every where that might have wire drain strainers rather than run out--because I know what will happen to the drains. Real disaster. And this is with LHC washing methods. You should see the giant hairballs that used to have to fished out after hair washing pre-LHC (shudder).

Angela_Rose
March 23rd, 2014, 06:39 PM
My hair has of course slaughtered its fair share of elastics (even the ones made for extra-thick hair!!), combs, and toys, but the funniest destruction was the time it killed my shooting ear plugs. My favorite ones have a yellow string between the ear plugs, and in the process of flinging my braid over my shoulder, the braid caught hold of the yellow string, and ZING the string was gone! Woops!

Hele
March 24th, 2014, 03:01 PM
my hair has destroyed all the usual things...wood and bone hair sticks, plastic anything, ink pens, vacuums, hair dryers, hair elastics, necklaces, comb teeth. It likes to reach out and grabs anything it can. My hair also seems to have a bloodthirsty side. There's been several instances where either me or somebody else has run their fingers through my hair and gotten a hair splinter. It doesn't hurt but it's a bit of a surprise to see a strand of hair sticking out of one's finger! I've also seen a spider struggling it's way across my floor, completely tangled in my escaped hair. And my favorite attack, the time some escaped hair wrapped itself around my then boyfriend's you-know-what overnight and cut the circulation off, causing it to turn purple. I think my hair needs to come with a warning label.

Stormynights
March 24th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Mine has been attacking my wallet. It thinks it needs hair toys. This is my hair's fault. I am a level headed person so I know it can't be my fault. It must be the hair.

ravenreed
March 24th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Apparently one of my sons had a similar experience when my hair wrapped around one of his toes. How does this happen? I don't even hardly enter their room and my hair is almost always up or in a braid at home.

my hair has destroyed all the usual things...wood and bone hair sticks, plastic anything, ink pens, vacuums, hair dryers, hair elastics, necklaces, comb teeth. It likes to reach out and grabs anything it can. My hair also seems to have a bloodthirsty side. There's been several instances where either me or somebody else has run their fingers through my hair and gotten a hair splinter. It doesn't hurt but it's a bit of a surprise to see a strand of hair sticking out of one's finger! I've also seen a spider struggling it's way across my floor, completely tangled in my escaped hair. And my favorite attack, the time some escaped hair wrapped itself around my then boyfriend's you-know-what overnight and cut the circulation off, causing it to turn purple. I think my hair needs to come with a warning label.

ravenreed
March 24th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Once every month or two we get these Zip-its (http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Products-00412BL-Zip-It-Cleaning/dp/B000BO9204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395696624&sr=8-1&keywords=zip+it+drain+cleaning) at either Home Depot or Walmart. I am continually astonished at the rat-sized lump of hair that comes out of the drain. I have no idea how I have any hair on my head... Anyway, I highly recommend them if you can find them.

Mine's most spectacular destruction was in a hairstylist's salon where it popped 2/3 of the teeth off one of those blow dryer comb attachments. One by one.They were flying all over, everyone was staring. This was two years ago, just before LHC.
My son gets mad because we have to sweep the floor before vacuuming to get all the hair BEFORE we get the vacuum cleaner going. Its an in the wall unit, don't want to destroy that.
Hairtoys, let's not even go there.It does not break ficcares, ketylos and LHC type hair toys, thank heaven.
My mom used to break 2 or 3 combs in half every week on my hair. This (and my screaming and crying everytime she looked as if she were going to comb my hair) was why she started having my hair straightened (it was a hot iron in those days, flat irons weren't invented yet) when I was eight years old. It was highly unusual then to straighten little girls' hair. People used to wait until the teen years.
When I see that our drain strainers are going, I get desperate. I have been known to drive to every Walmart, dollar store and every where that might have wire drain strainers rather than run out--because I know what will happen to the drains. Real disaster. And this is with LHC washing methods. You should see the giant hairballs that used to have to fished out after hair washing pre-LHC (shudder).

dancingpoet
March 24th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I guess my hair has destroyed its fair share of things. It has broken hairbrush handles, hairbrush bristles, and barrettes. It has also misshapen many a bobby pin. Oh, and it snapped a hair stick. At least it was a cheap one.

There was also the time that my brother decided to wrap my braid around my neck and strangle me with it when we were kids. At least I was only to a point where I saw purple sparkles. I don't think my brother was actually trying to murder me. :o

Kina
March 24th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Mine has been attacking my wallet. It thinks it needs hair toys. This is my hair's fault. I am a level headed person so I know it can't be my fault. It must be the hair.

that must be it!!:rollin:

melomane
March 26th, 2014, 08:12 AM
When I used to ponytail more often there was a 50/50 chance my elastic would snap before I could make the third loop. So far hair sticks seem to be working out pretty well(:

Isilme
March 26th, 2014, 08:40 AM
My hair hasn't killed anything in recent years, because I now know to buy the largest size available and not buy hairtoys for hairs of normal size. The only thing I worry about nowadays is my XL Flexi which is maxed out and straining under the pressure (the mega didn't exist when I bought mine)
However when I still lived with my parents it tried to strangle the Romba on several occasions. The poor thing started to turn and twist in abnormal ways until dad freed it from the red rat that had made a nest in the wheels. I also have to point out that mom and dad bought the pet edition with my hair in mind :D Now the Romba lives under the sofa in my old room. When I'm visiting, and especially at night I can feel it shiver with fear;)

rags
March 26th, 2014, 09:25 AM
My hair is relatively non violent. It has only snapped plastic sticks (though usually they just slide out instead) and the handle of one hairbrush (back when it was TB and I was more rough with it). However, it does like to grab things if it's down, and therefore is usually sentenced to an updo jail. It floats, and grabs light switches, other people near me (especially their buttons!), and DH's beard. Alas, it is seldom allowed out due to misbehavior.

However, its one violent streak is attempting to strangle me in my sleep, which it has done repeatedly, braid or not. DH was adamantly against sleep caps until it hit hip and tried to strangle HIM in his sleep. :p. it now lives in a sleep cap at night. :p

Stray_mind
March 28th, 2014, 04:40 AM
My hair isn't very destructive, but it has destroyed some hairpins and this morning it destroyed my hairtie...