PDA

View Full Version : A lot of breakage, do I cut all damage off?

Arwenlily
March 21st, 2014, 11:12 PM
In the past, I had heat styled and colored my hair semi-frequently which means a good amount of my hair is damaged. I started really caring for my hair in December of last year, only used a straightner once in the past 8 months and haven't colored in the past 6 months either.

I am growing in some very healthy and shiny hair which is great but I don't know what to do about my damaged hair. At this point, about half of my hair is probably damaged and I'm at 24" right now. I haven't trimmed in 8 months and my ends are really breaking off. I'm so nervous about it because my ends are increasingly getting thinner. I don't know what to do ... should I trim off all the old damage or just let out grow?

Stormynights
March 21st, 2014, 11:18 PM
I would leave it for now because this summer you might be wearing it up most of the time anyway just because of the heat.

alishaxmarie
March 22nd, 2014, 12:23 AM
If it's becoming super thin and "really breaking off" then I'd say it's time for a trim. You don't have to cut all the dye damged hair off though. You can choose to microtrim for awhile until you cut all the dye out if that's what you'd prefer though too. Either way, updos are a good thing to consider if you haven't been bunning your hair most of the time already. It's also a good idea to look into different oils to protect your super fragile ends as well as ingredients shown to penetrate damaged hair (I could probably name a few off the top of my head but I'm sure someone with more knowledge about those things will come along soon :)). If you leave the split ends, they may tangle onto other hairs that aren't as damaged and cause you to rip your hair when you detangle it later on, so it's probably a good idea to trim a little to prevent splits from travelling up the length you've been working so hard to gain.

Addy
March 22nd, 2014, 03:39 AM
Opinions are going to vary widely but I don't fair well with hair so damaged that it breaks off.

So, if it were mine, I'd cut it to the virgin hair and be done with the breakage. It's hard to let go of hair if you're not ready but it's also depressing trying to save hair that isn't worth saving. I want quality over quantity when it comes to my hair. It will go in a heart beat if I ruined it and believe me when I tell you... Girl, I have ruined it a few times. I'm currently growing out a pixie which is now in a very short, virgin bob. I'm done with coloring my hair. I've learned my lesson!!!

Number 3
March 22nd, 2014, 04:30 AM
I guess, split ends do go up the hair if not chopped off. I had split ends all on my bottom half, had to chop my long hair to shoulder length.

bunzfan
March 22nd, 2014, 04:47 AM
I had a similar problem I was getting so discouraged with it as I stopped using heat years ago but using regular protein conditioners as a treatment helped alot. Also coconut oil left on overnight and then co washed out improves the porosity of highly porous hair and for me dramatically cutting down on brushing I mainly use a wide toothed comb now and only have a few and haven't s and d. For months I'd highly recommend going through your hair and s and d'ing but if things don't improve maybe micro trim regular that helps alot while you are still growing.. Honestly I wish I'd taken a picture of how bad my ends were you don't have to cut it all straight away.

sarahthegemini
March 22nd, 2014, 04:47 AM
Personally I'd just cut away the damage. What's the point holding onto hair so damaged that it's breaking off?

bunnylake
March 22nd, 2014, 07:23 AM
In my opinion it's best to chop off all damage and have a fresh start. If it were me I know I would feel so much better with healthy shiny hair with no damaged ends even if it's short. :)

Firefox7275
March 22nd, 2014, 08:51 AM
Cut all the splits, white dots, breakage and velcro ends out, so they don't snag and tangle on healthier hair higher up. Then baby the remainder with penetrating oils and hydrolysed protein.

kganihanova
March 22nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
Opinions are going to vary widely but I don't fair well with hair so damaged that it breaks off.

So, if it were mine, I'd cut it to the virgin hair and be done with the breakage. It's hard to let go of hair if you're not ready but it's also depressing trying to save hair that isn't worth saving. I want quality over quantity when it comes to my hair. It will go in a heart beat if I ruined it and believe me when I tell you... Girl, I have ruined it a few times. I'm currently growing out a pixie which is now in a very short, virgin bob. I'm done with coloring my hair. I've learned my lesson!!!

Yes. This is perfection. I hate dealing with ****ty ends.

lunalocks
March 22nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Even a small trim will make a difference. That said, I did do a big chop a few years back to get rid of extreme damage suffered during a long hospital stay. I did not regret it.

ositarosita
March 22nd, 2014, 11:49 AM
I would cut it off .. It's breaking, splitting nothing is going to save it and the longer you leave it the worse it'll get .. just by the travelling factor

I've done it multiple times (repeat offender) and never once have I regretted it. Strictly because the gains were more important then the loss of a couple inches

swearnsue
March 22nd, 2014, 12:00 PM
I hate to say chop because your virgin hair is probably only 2 inches long? The further down the length, the more damage done, so I would say trim and inch or two now and wait and then just trim about 1/2 inch every two or three months, as needed.

Anje
March 22nd, 2014, 12:26 PM
I'm the sort who'd go bonkers if I couldn't pull my hair back. I'd trim a few inches to get rid of the worst, let it grow a few inches, and repeat.

kganihanova
March 22nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
I"d cut up to virgin hair and enjoy the rest of your hhj in peace :)

nobeltonya
March 22nd, 2014, 01:53 PM
Maybe not trim it all off at once, but definitely baby it and oil regularly. Maybe trim 2-3" every month or so? You do want to get rid of all of the damage relatively quickly so it doesn't spread to the healthy hair.. a big chop would be the most beneficial though, in the long run.. :disco:

wavyhair
March 22nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
cut off all the damaged ends and then pamper your hair until all the damage grows out , coconut oil , avacado oil ,protein treatments, deep conditioners what ever makes your hair good condition ! look a the positives of chopping those dead ends off , easier to mannage hair, shinier hair,fuller hair and less frizz whats not to resist ? the longer you leave them the more length your risking

red-again
March 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
I finally went for cutting the damage. Feels so much better! No 'forest' of broken strands on my iPad screen any more. Hair follows the same rules roots to ends, no babying needed. Wish I'd cut ages ago

Arwenlily
March 22nd, 2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice :) I don't have any splits or white dots but my ends just keep breaking. I'm thinking about cutting off the damage and starting fresh but how do I know where the virgin hair ends and damage begins?

lapushka
March 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice :) I don't have any splits or white dots but my ends just keep breaking. I'm thinking about cutting off the damage and starting fresh but how do I know where the virgin hair ends and damage begins?

In that case, maybe microtrimming might be the best solution for you. Go from month to month and take a bit off each time. You can even vary the amount depending on how much breakage you got that month. Go slow. Better that than to hack it all off, for no reason. Breakage isn't fatal, just a little annoying.

Arwenlily
March 22nd, 2014, 07:26 PM
In that case, maybe microtrimming might be the best solution for you. Go from month to month and take a bit off each time. You can even vary the amount depending on how much breakage you got that month. Go slow. Better that than to hack it all off, for no reason. Breakage isn't fatal, just a little annoying.

How much would you suggest trimming each time?

Anje
March 22nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
How much would you suggest trimming each time?
If you want your hair to keep getting longer, half your growth every month or two is a good amount. That might only be 1/4 inch, but that's OK.

This is usually something to do yourself or have a trusted family member or friend do. If you have a great stylist who does exactly what you ask, of course, that's fantastic, but I don't recommend trusting someone you don't know for a strict microtrimming regimen.

Macaroni
March 22nd, 2014, 08:29 PM
If my hair was involved, I'd cut to virgin and wouldn't waste time, money and energy trying to rescue hair so damaged it's breaking.

elea
March 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM
me, i chop the damaged length off as it rides up, and then it all over and done with.
but many friends ask to cut a little bit at the time.

Arwenlily
March 22nd, 2014, 09:07 PM
If you want your hair to keep getting longer, half your growth every month or two is a good amount. That might only be 1/4 inch, but that's OK.

This is usually something to do yourself or have a trusted family member or friend do. If you have a great stylist who does exactly what you ask, of course, that's fantastic, but I don't recommend trusting someone you don't know for a strict microtrimming regimen.

Oh absolutely! I don't plan on ever going to a stylist again for trims. I just have to go and by myself a good pair of shears.

Arwenlily
March 22nd, 2014, 09:08 PM
If my hair was involved, I'd cut to virgin and wouldn't waste time, money and energy trying to rescue hair so damaged it's breaking.

I wish I was bold enough to do this but I'm not even sure where my virgin hair starts ... do you know how to tell?

elea
March 22nd, 2014, 09:17 PM
usually smooth is good and coarse is damaged.
run your fingers through length and where the texture changes, is where the damage starts.
that my way, you probably get plenty more *:O)

Addy
March 22nd, 2014, 11:16 PM
In the past, I had heat styled and colored my hair semi-frequently which means a good amount of my hair is damaged. I started really caring for my hair in December of last year, only used a straightner once in the past 8 months and haven't colored in the past 6 months either.

I am growing in some very healthy and shiny hair which is great but I don't know what to do about my damaged hair. At this point, about half of my hair is probably damaged and I'm at 24" right now. I haven't trimmed in 8 months and my ends are really breaking off. I'm so nervous about it because my ends are increasingly getting thinner. I don't know what to do ... should I trim off all the old damage or just let out grow?

So you haven't colored in 6 months so you should have a demarcation line and healthy shiny regrowth of about (+-) 3 inches. We know this is healthy hair. So anything below is eventually going to go. Now all you have to decide is how much and how fast you want to go with the process of eliminating the damage/breakage.

Again, you received a lot of comments and opinions. In the end, you're opinion on the matter is what is going to matter the most. You can trim a 1/4"-1/2" a month or you can cut to shoulder and sport a *BOB* or you can pixie it and be done and deal with the grow out. The grow out though will be 100% au natural hair though which is a bonus if you're done coloring/processing your hair.

It took me a year to grow out my pixie and get to a chin length *BOB*. Did I enjoy every bit of it? No I didn't. I can't say that I'd enjoy every bit of micro trimming 21" of damage either. lol This is a very difficult decision and I don't envy you one bit. All I can do is wish you the best and hope your hair grows out fast so the nightmare can end once and for all. Good luck!

ErinLeigh
March 22nd, 2014, 11:45 PM
If hair is breaking and splitting I would give it a good trim. My opinion only.
I think there is too much risk of the damaged hair splitting into the healthy hair.

There was an article by nightshade on the front page about damage. One method she mentioned was micro trimming half the growth each month. Another option of course it a good cut and start fresh. It depends how attached to the length you are I suppose.

Good luck on deciding and feeling good about whatever you choose. I know its a tough choice sometimes.

So you haven't colored in 6 months so you should have a demarcation line and healthy shiny regrowth of about (+-) 3 inches. We know this is healthy hair. So anything below is eventually going to go. Now all you have to decide is how much and how fast you want to go with the process of eliminating the damage/breakage.

Again, you received a lot of comments and opinions. In the end, you're opinion on the matter is what is going to matter the most. You can trim a 1/4"-1/2" a month or you can cut to shoulder and sport a *BOB* or you can pixie it and be done and deal with the grow out. The grow out though will be 100% au natural hair though which is a bonus if you're done coloring/processing your hair.

It took me a year to grow out my pixie and get to a chin length *BOB*. Did I enjoy every bit of it? No I didn't. I can't say that I'd enjoy every bit of micro trimming 21" of damage either. lol This is a very difficult decision and I don't envy you one bit. All I can do is wish you the best and hope your hair grows out fast so the nightmare can end once and for all. Good luck!

Ha! Had I read this I wouldn't have even posted. You covered my thoughts.

I had a similar problem I was getting so discouraged with it as I stopped using heat years ago but using regular protein conditioners as a treatment helped alot. Also coconut oil left on overnight and then co washed out improves the porosity of highly porous hair and for me dramatically cutting down on brushing I mainly use a wide toothed comb now and only have a few and haven't s and d. For months I'd highly recommend going through your hair and s and d'ing but if things don't improve maybe micro trim regular that helps alot while you are still growing.. Honestly I wish I'd taken a picture of how bad my ends were you don't have to cut it all straight away.

This is true too. I turned around some mega breakage and snapping. Hair was fried. I started cowashing, coconut oiling, sealing, being gentle etc. And the fried hair softened and looked great. I started to see I didn't have splits, just hair that needed attention. I had cut 6 inches off and regretted it after I saw some reversal.
I'm over it now and ok with the decision, but it is true...some "damage" can be improved.

Arwenlily
March 23rd, 2014, 12:20 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice. I have gotten many wonderful accounts and advice here and I have to figure out what I want to so. What I do know though, like you said, is that all of the damage does have to go at some point. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to get rid of it all at once. I'm so sad that I have grown so much to have it all chopped off. I might trim half the growth each month and see how that works out.

Kherome
March 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM

I guess, split ends do go up the hair if not chopped off. I had split ends all on my bottom half, had to chop my long hair to shoulder length.

Personally I'd just cut away the damage. What's the point holding onto hair so damaged that it's breaking off?

In my opinion it's best to chop off all damage and have a fresh start. If it were me I know I would feel so much better with healthy shiny hair with no damaged ends even if it's short. :)

I would cut it off .. It's breaking, splitting nothing is going to save it and the longer you leave it the worse it'll get .. just by the travelling factor

I've done it multiple times (repeat offender) and never once have I regretted it. Strictly because the gains were more important then the loss of a couple inches

I"d cut up to virgin hair and enjoy the rest of your hhj in peace :)

cut off all the damaged ends and then pamper your hair until all the damage grows out , coconut oil , avacado oil ,protein treatments, deep conditioners what ever makes your hair good condition ! look a the positives of chopping those dead ends off , easier to mannage hair, shinier hair,fuller hair and less frizz whats not to resist ? the longer you leave them the more length your risking

Yep, it should be cut off IMO. Hair that is that badly damaged is of no use. You can't save it, and it usually looks pretty bad at that point, so it may as well go so you can start really caring for your hair and keeping it healthy.