PDA

View Full Version : 50's Hairstyles for Knee-Length Hair?

Nobody
March 21st, 2014, 10:27 PM
I have a 50's themed sock hop party tomorrow. I have no idea what to wear or how to style my hair. I have knee length very flat hair. Curling/texture is not really an option because it is too thick/heavy and just goes flat again. Any ideas?

MadeiraD
March 21st, 2014, 10:35 PM
I'd put the back up and stick the front in basically victory rolls (no teasing required, the length will give the roll the shape you need)

picklepie
March 21st, 2014, 10:37 PM
White blouse with a collar (worn untucked), cardigan, jeans rolled up to mid-calf (or fullish solid-color skirt if you've got one, in which case tuck the blouse in), white socks folded down, leather shoes (penny loafers? Lace ups? Ballet flats?). Short string of pearls. Hair could be in Heidi braids.

cdonald2
March 21st, 2014, 10:55 PM
definitely victory rolls in front. for clothing styles. high waisted capris and a tied shirt. or if you want to go the sexy route. look up some of bettie pages stuff. pinupgirlclothing.com has some outfits im sure you could mock with things from your closet as well.

picklepie
March 22nd, 2014, 12:50 AM
Are victory rolls a 50s thing? They read very WWII to me.

Andeee
March 22nd, 2014, 01:22 AM
Yeah, I think Victory rolls are definitely 1940s. Bettie Page to me is late 40s very early 50s tops. You could do a faux high ponytail, maybe. Torrin Page on youtube has a tutorial on how to do it and she has about classic length hair.

DarthCynthia
March 22nd, 2014, 08:38 AM
What about wearing your hair in a bun and tying a fun-colored semi-sheer scarf around the base, then leaving the tails hanging down? If you have fringe, just have them in a softly smoothed shape over your forehead?

MadeiraD
March 22nd, 2014, 08:43 AM
Victory rolls are 40s but rockabilly chicks get away with it and no one notices, thus

Nobody
March 22nd, 2014, 05:26 PM
I do not own a curling iron nor do I hairspray, so victory rolls are tough. My hair doesn't hold curls so there's no point in owning a curling iron. :)

The ponytail with scarf solution is awesome though.

I will have to look at my wardrobe. I think my only pair of capris are maternity gym pants, lol.

Fashion ≠ my thing

MadeiraD
March 22nd, 2014, 05:46 PM
Oh I never use a curling iron on mine, just bobby pins and no spray

Nobody
March 22nd, 2014, 07:04 PM
Well, I failed at that. I am going to settle with a ponytail with a hairstick and two wrapped parts (similar to a Chinese bun but with half of it down in the ponytail). I tried a headscarf with my hair enclosed too but my hair is...too big for every handkerchief/scarf I have that wouldn't look ridiculous. I should really start preparing more than 30 min before I have to leave!