PDA

View Full Version : Braids/parandi

Sarahlabyrinth
March 21st, 2014, 07:27 PM
I have just discovered the wonders of braiding using a paranda. My curiosity leads me to ask paranda users if it would cause damage to leave a paranda in for two or three days at a time rather than risk mechanical damage from taking it out at night, re-braiding next morning, etc. What do you think? (it would be contained in a sleep cap at night still braided but not bunned). What do you all think?

ooglipoo
March 21st, 2014, 08:51 PM
It might be drying...

I like to wash my paranda in the sink with conditioner, and it does seem less drying to do that. I've left double ductch braided parandi in for around three or four day, and not had a problem.

two_wheels
March 22nd, 2014, 01:56 AM
I've left one in overnight and not noticed any damage, but it was made of silk yarn rather than wool.

walterSCAN
March 22nd, 2014, 07:31 AM
I've worn mine for ~5 days and nights straight a few times and didn't notice any extra damage from it. As long as you can control the braid-fuzz and prevent tangles (which it sounds like your sleep cap would do admirably for), I think it'd be fine to leave it in for a couple days.

Panth
March 22nd, 2014, 07:31 AM
I think it would depend on your hair type and the material your parandi is made from.

E.g. silk paranda has less risk of felting into your hair than wool.
Natural fibre paranda has less risk of causing static-induced problems.
Coarse hair would generally have less damage risk.

The bits I'd worry about are the bits at the nape of the neck - those always get fluffy, pull out of plaits and get tangled/matted on my hair if I leave plaits in more than 24 hours. But then, I have fine hair and lots of short bits at the nape. On me, it's generally worse with a pair of plaits than a single one...