PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing + layers and length

BrendaLoan
March 21st, 2014, 05:59 PM
So, I have some doubts about hair typing, and I think this might be happening to some of you with curly/ wavy hair out there. When I layered my hair two months ago, I got rid of what was left of my bleached hair and of a lot of "hair weight" (it was all one lenght then), and my waves changed radically. Because of it, I tried to remember what my hair looked like when it was shorter and I found some old pictures. I was impressed. The first one is my hair 9 years ago, I had very short layers, and curls everywhere! (and I did nothing to my hair by then). In the second one, even though my hair was damp from the pool, my layers were longer and you can see the difference in the curl pattern. The third one was a lot of years later, all virgin hair not styled or combed. It was all one length, and just wavy. (I know those are not the best typing pictures, but I had just a few in my computer).
Since layers and hair length make such a big difference in wave pattern (and I’m sure taking good care of it does too), I’m not sure what my hairtype really is...or was.
I'd like to know if some of you have changed of hairtype through the years while growing it or cutting it. Maybe is just that my hair has changed? Thank you in advance!

http://i58.tinypic.com/11liqtw.jpg

Anje
March 21st, 2014, 06:04 PM
Hairtype can definitely change over time, just like color can and often does. To my eyes, you look about 2c,which can be a very changeable hairtype from one day to another.

queenieheather
March 21st, 2014, 08:39 PM
I agree with the 2b. So pretty! Your sig pic is exactly my goal :)

queenieheather
March 21st, 2014, 08:42 PM
Ah I meant 2c* Sorry I dont know if I can edit my posts yet :/

alishaxmarie
March 21st, 2014, 09:00 PM
Yay you started a thread for this! :) I'm very confused about my hair type as well, which is why I asked about yours in the first place. According to the Visual Hairtyping Guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252), the presence of your ringlets/spiral curls automatically puts you at at least 2c but the wave/curl pattern of 2's is so ridiculously inconsistent! :shrug:

Does it matter where the curls start for hair typing purposes? For instance, in BrendaLoan's signature, the waves don't start at her scalp, and that's how my hair is. Is that a characteristic of all/most 2's or can curlier types have this as well? I figure the weight of her long locks is pulling out some of the wave (just look how curly that first picture is!) but my hair isn't that long or heavy and has always been this way.

BrendaLoan
March 21st, 2014, 09:42 PM
Your question was one of the reasons for starting this thread alishaxmarie! :o I'm sure we are not alone

Yay you started a thread for this! :) I'm very confused about my hair type as well, which is why I asked about yours in the first place. According to the Visual Hairtyping Guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252), the presence of your ringlets/spiral curls automatically puts you at at least 2c but the wave/curl pattern of 2's is so ridiculously inconsistent! :shrug: . This! Is hard to tell.

And I think my hair was so curly close to the scalp because I had layers that were TOO short shudder:. In the second picture, you can see how they are getting longer and curls start at my ears. That's why I say layers and length make a huge difference when hairtyping our hair

MeAndTheMaz
March 21st, 2014, 10:49 PM
I always figured I was in the wavier end of the 1s, but after following the LHC guidelines for typing, it looks like I'm actually, more in the mid 2s, so your hair probably looks different on a daily basis depending on what you've with it.

BrendaLoan
March 22nd, 2014, 09:09 AM
Thank you queenieheather! I see you are a 2c/3a :heart: Please let me know if you experience any change in your curl/wave pattern change as you get closer to your goal :eye:
And MeAndTheMaz, you went from wavy 1 to mid 2's? Nice! :o

bunzfan
March 22nd, 2014, 09:34 AM
I'm a 2b /2c I have different curls all over my hair from ringlets to waves it's our hair type the longer it is the curlier it gets.

lapushka
March 22nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
I agree. 2c.

Ruzovy
March 22nd, 2014, 10:30 AM
I'd say at least 2c. Years ago when I had it layered it looked a lot like in your pictures, curly all around. It apparently tends to lose the curls the longer it gets tho, at this point only the bottom half of my hair curls at all and it's much like yours, all wavy mixed in with ringlets if I leave it alone.

So yeah another vote for 2c :)
One of these days I need to take a hairtyping picture again cause I do sometimes wonder if my hair type has changed too.

jupiterinleo
March 22nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
I'd also say you're a solid 2c!

BrendaLoan
March 22nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
One of these days I need to take a hairtyping picture again cause I do sometimes wonder if my hair type has changed too. If you do, please post it! I'd love to see the waves and ringlets :)

And thanks everyone for your help! So I guess I'm a 2c, awesome :hollie: