PDA

View Full Version : Can you help with my hair?

HazelBug
March 21st, 2014, 05:52 PM
I'm working at stretching washes. I find that it has been improving the quality of my not so virgin hair. But I don't like wearing it down when it starts to look oily. My hair is between shoulder and apl right now. I have a gentle u shaped hemline. My hair is pretty thick for it being as fine as it is. I have trouble with my hair slipping out of do's. But when I get closer to wash day it seems like I have to re-do my bun a hundred times because it's pulling. an english braid down the back is almost pointless. there isn't enough length for the thickness to make it look like I was trying to braid.
It's probably just an akward stage. I feel like it is too short to do much with, but too long to have down all the time. (especially with a toddler) I love braids. And I often feel bummed that I can'd do what I used to be able to because I don't have the length I used to have.
Idealy I would like to be able to stretch my washes to 1 time a week. It takes hours for it to fully dry. I'm not sure why. I also remember that stretching washes made my very dry ends soft when my hair was at it's longest. I would rather keep that dryness from happening.
My hair tends to tangle easily. But It's not prone to splits or breakage. If I use too much conditioners then my hair seems to get oily sooner than I want it to. But if I don't use enough it seems to tangle more and feel a lot less soft. It gets harder to comb through without little hairs getting snagged.
I'm not sure if there is a real problem other than it being just an akward stage. But I get really annoyed that I don't seem to have a lot of options to keep my hair up. This is a very anoying length. Too long to use a simple ponytail to keep off my back, too short for a braided bun. What sorts of styles worked for you? Are there any products that I should look at using or avoiding?

ladylowtide
March 21st, 2014, 10:59 PM
At your length most of the time I had it down because it was a pain in the butt to try and do anything with it. When I did need it out of the way I did low pigtails and double braids. These are much easier than single styles that require more length to get around your head.

synchrostatic
March 21st, 2014, 11:17 PM
You could maybe try two smaller french braids? That's what I would do when my hair was that length.

JS09
March 22nd, 2014, 12:36 AM
Have you tried a high sock bun with bobby pins in the back (to catch all of those loose hairs)? That's that I do, and it looks like your hair isn't much shorter than mine :)

furnival
March 22nd, 2014, 01:31 AM
A peacock twist was my go-to updo at your length. It's worth putting it up as at that length your ends are scraping back and forth over your back and shoulders every time you turn your head, and over time this can contribute to damage, especially on fine hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 22nd, 2014, 03:36 AM
When my hair was your length I used to do a peacock twist, a scrunchy ponytail, or a French or Dutch braid.

stachelbeere
March 22nd, 2014, 03:46 AM
this was my go to hairstyle at your length. it's very comfortable and secure.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/998458_10151718220243022_456801896_n.jpg

skyblue
March 22nd, 2014, 04:07 AM
I use to french twist mine with a claw clip, easy and quick, although that french braid up there looks gorgeous Stachelbeere!!

Toffeemonster
March 22nd, 2014, 05:29 AM
I don't know how well Batiste fairs in terms of cones etc, but I've used it at times. You can also use cornstarch I think, to make your hair look less greasy, so you can wear it down right up to wash day.

stachelbeere
March 22nd, 2014, 06:44 AM
Thanks skyblue!
OP, IMHO a tucked under Dutch braid only works on this length, when the hair gets longer this hairstyle no longer feels comfortable. So enjoy it while it lasts :)

I don't know how well Batiste fairs in terms of cones etc, but I've used it at times. You can also use cornstarch I think, to make your hair look less greasy, so you can wear it down right up to wash day.

Batiste is okay to use, I found, no cones and is hair friendly. Although it dries the ends a lot though.

cherrybird
March 22nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
I have hair a bit shorter than yours, and on third day greasy hair I do a french braid starting around the middle of the back of my head, then secure it with an elastic into a low ponytail. I can't really do without elastics yet...