PDA

View Full Version : Growing Out a Shag

YesitsReal
March 20th, 2014, 09:55 PM
I am currently the proud owner of a shoulder-length shag haircut. :rolleyes: I was wondering if any of you have any experience with growing out tons of short layering or suggestions for making this mop look professional without heat? I'm in grad school and I teach, so I have to look put-together. My hair is 2a, so without blowfrying it flips all over the place and looks like I just got out of bed and came to school. It's driving me nuts. Ponytailing helps, but I have to use bobby pins to hold the sides back, and I was hoping to stay away from bobby pins.

tommyboy
March 20th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I have the same hair presently and ponytail with a few pins on each side is my general look these days. I haven't noticed any problems with the pins either as far as damage goes.

ErinLeigh
March 21st, 2014, 01:55 AM
I love this look for a shag
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/6ac17756-4aa1-4d02-93d1-8930af2801f9_zpsdd290ccc.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6ac17756-4aa1-4d02-93d1-8930af2801f9_zpsdd290ccc.jpg.html)

jacqueline101
March 21st, 2014, 06:35 AM
I had a shag in 08 and loved it but the layers were a pain. I don't think it would be as awkward as a pixie to grow out. I'm not in the business world anymore. Can you wear a scarf?

browneyedsusan
March 21st, 2014, 08:20 AM
I did a bunch of "half-ups" while growing my pixie. Can you use little jaw clips or barrettes on the sides? Maybe a headband? Anything to get the front out of your face and look intentional. Maybe you can get some ideas here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQJ7aenX1U)? (Feel free to snoop through my growth album of old siggies. My hair is down in every one, but you'll feel MUCH better about yours. I had a spectacular mop of awkwardness!)

GoddesJourney
March 21st, 2014, 08:02 PM
I find hair clips and bobby pins damaging as well. When it was pixie lengths I had to put a little pomade in it to calm it down. As it got longer, I found a little leave in conditioner (regular conditioner Suave or VO5 left in) helped weigh it down. I still do that or a little oil because I get triangle head even now as I'm approaching APL. I did braided headbands now and then to make getting it out of my face look as if I tried something. Haha. A half up ponytail or braid is fine as well as a topsy tail or pulled back temples. No worries. Shag length feels like it takes forever, but soon you will be able to pull it all back and feel like it is more convenient again.

ErinLeigh
March 23rd, 2014, 04:01 AM
I never had issues growing out a shag because the layering seemed great for simply just growing without needing constant upkeep. Just trim the bottom once in a while and dust some layers. I think it will grow out nicely for you.

For styles in the meantime..It would be hard to guess without knowing what the layers look like but side braids, twists in the front with mini clips, headbands, ponytail, a little peacock twist in back if hair is long enough, deep side part worn loose. Lots of options in my opinion.

CindiAnnwynbri
March 23rd, 2014, 05:04 AM
I love the ideas here, but can I ask for some ideas for a much shorter shag? At the moment the back of my hair is about 4 inches long and the top is a big longer. Any suggestions on how to deal with growing this all out? It's been a really long time since I've had to grow out a short hair style back to the length I'm use to. This short length is driving me nuts, I actually did much better when it was shorter, and I'm afraid I'm going to get frustrated and chop it all off again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

georgia_peach
March 23rd, 2014, 03:22 PM
I find hair clips and bobby pins damaging as well. When it was pixie lengths I had to put a little pomade in it to calm it down. As it got longer, I found a little leave in conditioner (regular conditioner Suave or VO5 left in) helped weigh it down. I still do that or a little oil because I get triangle head even now as I'm approaching APL. I did braided headbands now and then to make getting it out of my face look as if I tried something. Haha. A half up ponytail or braid is fine as well as a topsy tail or pulled back temples. No worries. Shag length feels like it takes forever, but soon you will be able to pull it all back and feel like it is more convenient again. I second the leave in conditioner to help tame flips and frizzies. I also am using Flexi's in the mini size to pull back top layers while they grow.