PDA

View Full Version : Best oils for each hair type?

Larki
March 20th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I have naturally blonde 1c hair. This week, I've been using argan oil for the first time, and I don't think my hair likes it. I use a total of 5-6 drops, 2-3 for each side, on the length only, and I put it on my hair while it's damp. It makes my hair feel and look limp and dirty/greasy.

Is there an adjustment period for oils, or is it immediately apparent whether or not a certain oil "works" for your hair? Perhaps I'm using too much? Is there a particular oil that people with similar hair types to mine have had success with?

Thanks! :)

lapushka
March 20th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I have naturally blonde 1c hair. This week, I've been using argan oil for the first time, and I don't think my hair likes it. I use a total of 5-6 drops, 2-3 for each side, on the length only, and I put it on my hair while it's damp. It makes my hair feel and look limp and dirty/greasy.

Is there an adjustment period for oils, or is it immediately apparent whether or not a certain oil "works" for your hair? Perhaps I'm using too much? Is there a particular oil that people with similar hair types to mine have had success with?

Thanks! :)

I think it's clear *immediately* whether an oil is appropriate for your hair. The argan oil might be okay, if you use less of it, say 2 drops or so. We use Mineral Oil and only 2 drops for hair from ear down to hip! So...

Weewah
March 20th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I think you're using too much. I only do 2 or 3 drops of argan oil on my whole head when I use it.

LauraLongLocks
March 20th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I have 1c F/M ii hair, just like you, and I use 100% argan oil on just my bottom 3" or so and then work it up my length a little. My hair loves it. Mine comes in a pump squirt bottle, so I don't know exactly how many drops I'm using. I haven't found an oil my hair doesn't like yet.

Ingrid
March 20th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Just agreeing with the others who suggest using less oil - I only use one drop of argan oil for my hip-length hair.

Larki
March 20th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks, everyone! LauraLongLocks, mine also comes in a pump bottle, but I only pumped it out a drop at a time. ;) I'll try using half the oil and see if I get better results!

Steffid87
March 20th, 2014, 10:17 PM
This is a question I've had for a while: if certain oils work better with certain types (a,b,c) or (f,m,c) hair. I used coconut oil on my hair for around 3 hours, and I'm not sure it made a bit of difference once it got washed out and air dried. Still dry-feeling.

Lirona
March 20th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I really like jojoba oil, and my hair is in the same ballpark as yours! I have found that having all my hair on one side when I oil (so, not dividing it in half) and using 2 or 3 drops for the whole thing, wet or dry, starting from the ends and working up, gives me the best results. Sometimes I oil a plain braid (dry) as well. You could also try oiling at night. It looks more "soaked in" in the morning that way, to me. The only other oil I've tried properly is coconut, but it looked greasy. I used it only once.

ETA: How are you getting the coconut oil out, Steffid87? Could that be what's leaving it dry-feeling?

Marbid
March 21st, 2014, 12:42 AM
I dint like cocunut oil very much at all, it imediately made my hair feel crunchy.. But i seem to like olive oil. Just a dab for all my hair is gives me a nice shine and calms dowm much of the frizz..

I also agree that when it comes to oils, weather your hair likes it or not is apparent imediately.. I would suggest for every one tomstart of with a drop of said oil and increase it untill you see a change for better or worse.

That way it goes like nothing...... Soft or crunchy...... Soft or greassy or still crunchy..... Greassy.... Oil soak...

In corresponding drop 1 2 3 4 lots..... I think this is a good way to find out if an oil is good for you....

ErinLeigh
March 21st, 2014, 02:06 AM
I disliked argan oil when I first tried it. I think I was using to much. Less is more for this one on me. Too much is tacky and heavy.. Just 2 drops is perfect.
So far my hair likes all oils to date, but I have had adjustments here and there finding the right amounts. I didn't love jojoba at first either and grew very fond of it later.
I used to think coconut oil only worked "pre poo: for me but found ways to make that work post wash also. It has been an interesting experiment playing with the various oils and amounts. Also, wet vs dry changes how I feel about certain oils also.

I am not sure if it is seasonal, or the condition of my hair changing, or changing amounts used.. but I think it is worth pulling out and re trying at another date before making final call.

Anabell
March 21st, 2014, 03:04 AM
I think that you put too much. I use argan oil after wash on damp hair. Mine came with a pump, it look like 1-2 little drops on each side. And my hair is at fingertip length. When I started using oils for the firs time I did put too much. I use olive oil (because that what I found in the kitchen) and it made my hair sticky and oily because it was really generous amount. Today I use just a little bit from time to time on my ends and it makes them soft and shiny. My point is - the amount really matter.

terpentyna
March 21st, 2014, 03:16 AM
Use less! I use about three drops for my entire length.

Steffid87
March 21st, 2014, 08:04 AM
Lirona, I put a generous amount of coconut oil in my hair, bunned it, and set it atop my head with a plastic cap on. I just shampoo and conditioned, however I left the conditioner on a good while (forgot to time it) to moisturize after the protein. It almost felt crunchy, but not quite when I was done.
I bought a new oil last time I went shopping (Garnier Fructis Marvelous Oil Frizz Defy with Amla and Jojoba oils) and I've been trying it out. The past two times I've just used 1/2 - 1 full pump on my BSL wurly tips. Each full pump looks to be about 3/4 drops. It wasn't doing a darn thing! So I figured I'm going for a trim and shampoo today to try to cut out a bit of my layers, so I used a good two pumps, and WOW did it make a difference! I don't know where it's not really a 100% oil that I had to use more, but in my case it worked much better with two pumps than the measly part of one I was using.

Anyone heard of/used this stuff before?

Curlsgirl
March 21st, 2014, 08:12 AM
I am sure the longer, thicker, finer or coarser your hair the difference in the kind and/or amount of oil you would need. My hair loves coconut and EVOO more than lighter oils. I use quite a bit on my hair. It just loves them as a leave-in or DT either one.

CRX<3
March 21st, 2014, 08:19 AM
Yay for reading this thread! I gave up on ALL oils a while ago, but now i tried it again with argan oil, with the smallest amount possible! and now my hair is frizz free but not greasy! :D

Steffid87
March 21st, 2014, 08:20 AM
You know, I never even thought of EVOO! I just went straight to the coconut oil as I've heard so much about it lately. Maybe before my next shower I'll give that one a try! Maybe also microtrimming off my split ends will make a visible difference, too!

Curlsgirl
March 21st, 2014, 08:46 AM
You know, I never even thought of EVOO! I just went straight to the coconut oil as I've heard so much about it lately. Maybe before my next shower I'll give that one a try! Maybe also micro-trimming off my split ends will make a visible difference, too!

Yes, it's cheap and it only takes a little. Just wished it smelled a little better! I do NOT like the smell. I have a very sensitive nose though. Most people don't really mind it.

Oh and I do micro-trim too. I think it's better to stop the split ends as they are starting before they travel on up the hair shaft!