PDA

View Full Version : Help meee. How do I protect my hair from this? (water parks)

Kayto
March 20th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Hi Everybody! My birthday is coming up, and I'm planning on going to wet n' wild water park. There is a lot of chlorine in the water and I'm going to be there all day. I know chlorine and the chemicals in the water is harsh on hair, I'm wondering what I should do to protect it while I'm there. :o

Thank you.

spidermom
March 20th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Coney serum, then braid.
I used to use sweet almond oil for this, but the coney serum (CHI silk infusion) worked much-much better. You can use a clarifying shampoo to get it out.

Kayto
March 20th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Coney serum, then braid.
I used to use sweet almond oil for this, but the coney serum (CHI silk infusion) worked much-much better. You can use a clarifying shampoo to get it out.

Do you think biosilk would work too? :)

Maurelle
March 20th, 2014, 01:43 PM
biosilk would be a good pick.

Kayto
March 20th, 2014, 02:01 PM
biosilk would be a good pick.

Thank you c:

sarahthegemini
March 21st, 2014, 09:09 AM
I'd just smooth on a bit of coconut or olive oil (or anything that penetrates basically), put it up and enjoy yourself. One day at a water park isn't going to kill your hair.

patienceneeded
March 21st, 2014, 09:26 AM
Enjoy your birthday and have fun! Your hair won't be destroyed in 1 day. If you're really worried just give the length a light oiling or use a coney serum as the others have suggested. Don't use too much...or you will leave behind an oil slick in the water.

Firefox7275
March 22nd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Anything you slather on uncovered hair will contaminate the pool water and feed microbes, so also wear a swim cap. Otherwise just put your hair up and use a good chelating shampoo afterwards: one day is not going to fry your hair.

FallingDarkness
March 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
With chlorinated pools and everything. The thing is that we never, ever go to water parks, and I love them, so of course I want to play. But chlorine dries out my hair, so I assume it's damaging, so how do I avoid damaging my hair but still having fun in the water? Is there such a balance?

teddygirl
March 23rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
If you don't want to wear a cap (which will obv protect your hair), keep your hair soaked with regular water. So shower and make your hair thouroughly wet before you go in the water and rinse often. Your hair will absorb less chlorine if its already wet. You could also oil it up and braid it.

Wavelength
March 23rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
If you don't want to wear a cap (which will obv protect your hair), keep your hair soaked with regular water. So shower and make your hair thouroughly wet before you go in the water and rinse often. Your hair will absorb less chlorine if its already wet. You could also oil it up and braid it.

Yes, I was just going to suggest an oil soak (perhaps coconut oil) and some type of braid. Oil repels water, and a braid will keep your hair neat and protected.

Have a fun time! :cool:

FallingDarkness
March 23rd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Oh good I have a lot of coconut oil. :) Thanks so much! Braids + coconut oil = happy protected hair! YAY!
I will. :D

YamaMaya
March 23rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
Oil + Swim Cap would be like fort knox never going to get past it protection, It may look silly but I'd rather look silly than damage my hair.

Carolyn
March 23rd, 2014, 04:06 PM
Wet your hair first with tap water and then load it up with the oil of your choice and then braid it. When you are done swimming S & C before it has time to dry with the chlorine in it.

ladylowtide
March 23rd, 2014, 04:12 PM
When I last went swimming. I soaked hair in tap water, then oiled with olive oil, then did a ponytail braid bun on the top of my head. I put it up so just standing around in the water it wouldn't be soaking chlorine. Worked well for me.

Anje
March 23rd, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined these two waterpark threads, since the two of you asked approximately the same question within days of each other. Presumably you'll benefit from the advice each other received. :D

In other news, I'm totally jealous that you're going to water parks. It's only 30°F here!

SunlightShines
March 23rd, 2014, 05:48 PM
Definitely soak it in tap water first, so it absorbs all it can before sealing it with oil. You could also add a light layer of sunscreen on top of that as well, or use an oil with an spf.

Kayto
March 24th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Joined these two waterpark threads, since the two of you asked approximately the same question within days of each other. Presumably you'll benefit from the advice each other received. :D

In other news, I'm totally jealous that you're going to water parks. It's only 30°F here!

I know, I noticed that she made the same thread days after I made mine! That's so ironic.
It's normally in the 80's or 90's here, so I'm excited to finally go swimming. :o