PDA

View Full Version : styles for layers?

BunnyBee
September 13th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hey :) I've haven't been here in a while. I had a hair cut and I guess I'm at about apl now :( My hair looks a lot healthier but there's not alot of styles I can do with it as its really layered. At the mo I have probably the worlds smallest bun in my hair with all the layers sticking out everywhere lol
What styles work with layers? all i seem to be able to do is a ponytail and sock bun - not very exciting.

Another question.. I just bought some coconut oil from Akamuti (the solid kind) and wondered if it's nescesary to keep it in the fridge? Will it go mouldy if i don't?

WritingPrincess
September 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hello, BunnyBee!

The coconut oil does not need to be kept in the fridge. I keep mine in the bathroom. If it's kept in the bathroom you will have an exceedingly difficult time extracting any for your hair. I hope that helps.

Periwinkle
September 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
At APL, a peacock twist should work pretty well, and I think layers actually improve them! Take your hair in a ponytail, twist it a bit, put it up against the back of your head and clip it in place with the ends hanging down.

You could probably also manage a French braid, though I know that they aren't always fun with layers. Depending on how long your layers are, you might be able to braid to your nape and then tie off with an elastic or a barrette.

You could also try two French or Dutch or rope braids, either finishing in pigtails or with a barrette.

If you have some small claw clips, you could try twisting your hair up and clipping it with those. That works quite well too.

Enjoy being able to do messier styles while you can! I'm at BSL now, and while they used to work quite well for me, I just have too much hair for them now.

danacc
September 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Twisting styles are good, but messy, as you mention.

If you want something smooth, maybe a French Twist?

florenonite
September 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hello, BunnyBee!

The coconut oil does not need to be kept in the fridge. I keep mine in the bathroom. If it's kept in the bathroom you will have an exceedingly difficult time extracting any for your hair. I hope that helps.

Did you mean if kept in the fridge it's hard to extract, because it hardens when cold?

BunnyBee
September 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks everyone!

You could also try two French or Dutch or rope braids, either finishing in pigtails or with a barrette.

I just tried a rope braid starting from the crown (where you add hair at each side like a french braid) and failed lol it was very messy! are there any instructions about to show how to do this properly?

Longlove
September 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Bunnybee.

I'm at 28ish inches with long layers too. I like how the layers help my hair to "move" more, but I am also experiencing some of your styling frustration with what I call "the cactus effect" even though I'm a 1a.There's too much stress involved with aiming for perfectly neat, so I've been trying new ways to show off the "messy" (a.k.a. sexy bedhair) layers.

Once I've put an elastic over the hair covering my sockbun, I'll leave the ends free. Then I grasp various pieces of the bunned hair and gently pull them away from the sock. I actually prefer the look of those casual loops and piece-y "flower petal" ends.

Peacock updo's are always great, and I've found the layering has actually made my hair look thicker and more uniform in length while in any kind of ponytail.

When attempting any kind of curl, I've found it useful to slip a long sock (toes cut out!) over the length before I wind/roll/wrap it. It helps to keep the ends together with the rest of the length, avoiding any "fishtails" or straight bits.

HTH

anna1850
September 14th, 2008, 04:29 AM
There are various bun making hair toys that you can use to hide layers. As long as the shortest layers are long enough to go into them you should be able to use them and I know I used a whirl a style January before last when my hair was about APL. Although I do remember immediately after my haircut I couldn't use it but I can't remember exaclty how short I had my hair cut (I think it was actually a little above APL). They also give you a much bigger bun. The first 3 that I mention are all available at Claires. I think I'd reccomend the whirl a style to begin with as it's the easiest. The Hairagami took me about a week to master and I'd already had a lot of practice with the whirl a style.

Hairagami (http://www.hairagami.com/ht_hairagami.html) - made of those snappy bracelets that you might have had as a kid. I like them but it is possible to hurt yourself a bit if you're not careful and it accidentally snaps into a bun at the wrong time.

Whirl a Style (http://whirlastyle.stores.yahoo.net/whstjume.html) - plastic thing with a hole in the middle for your hair to go through and the ends attach together to make a bun shape. Sizing is somewhat important. I used a jumbo medium. Mine did end up breaking after 6 months or so because they would end up twisted when I twisted them up and it put strain on the part near the clip.

Hairdini 2 (http://www.hairdini.com/Hairdini2.html) - wires covered in sponge and material that allow you to bend it into a bun shape. I got one to do more complicated designs and whilst it can be used for a bun I don't think it's the best as there's nothing to keep the ends together so it doesn't look as good.

EZ bun (http://www.ezbun.com/) - I haven't tried this one. Seems good in that I assume the sizing is not that important as you can adjust it by tieing it tighter and it won't snap like a Hairagami but it does leave part of it exposed whereas the others are all hidden in the bun. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing but it's a bit more inflexible in terms of matching hair to outfits unless you buy loads.