PDA

View Full Version : Help! Coconut Oil Mishap!

Long_hair_bear
March 20th, 2014, 09:19 AM
And just when I thought that I was an experienced enough LHCer to know better, I used WAY to much coconut oil on my hair! :facepalm: Long story short, I'm having a hard time getting it out. I tried washing it out with my SLS free poo, but that didn't do much good. I don't want to clarify as I just did that last week, but I may have to to get it out. Ideas anyone? Pretty please with sprinkles on top? Its not badly greasy, but its very noticable.

Kina
March 20th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I read elsewhere on the board that CWC worked for someone.

Hootenanny
March 20th, 2014, 09:32 AM
A lot of people say that coating the oiled hair in conditioner and letting it sit for a bit, then rinsing, will get excess oil out. Couldn't hurt to give it a try before resorting to clarifying! :)

ravenreed
March 20th, 2014, 09:36 AM
On the rare occasion I oil, I CO it out. If I used too much oil, I put the conditioner on dry hair and let it sit about a half hour before hopping the in the shower and rinsing it out. I apply conditioner a second time just to make sure that I got it all out.

bunzfan
March 20th, 2014, 09:42 AM
co wash...co wash ....co wash gets it all oil out every single time, leave it on dry oiled hair at least half an hour ( basically slather conditioner on oiled hair for a good 40 mins before you shower and co wash it out ) once in shower wet the hair a bit and massage like you are shampooing.

teela1978
March 20th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Nothing wrong with using some sulfates :)

neko_kawaii
March 20th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Another vote for conditioner. I dilute mine for better coverage then put it up for 20-30 minutes before rinsing it out. You can also treat it like an SMT and add other stuff to the condish. Works great.

swearnsue
March 20th, 2014, 11:06 AM
If you have to leave the house right now, braid it to "hide" the greasiness and let some of the excess soak into the hair. When you wash with conditioner or shampoo, whichever you choose, use very warm water.

Clarifying is not called for I don't think because you are dealing with oil, not product build-up.

Don't feel bad, we've all over oiled, I know I have many many times!

Oh, if you use the conditioner method posted about you might want to make sure it isn't a protein type conditioner.

SkyChild
March 20th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I do this nearly every time I use coconut oil!
I just use dry shampoo or cornflour if you prefer to soak up excess and then rinse with the hottest water you can manage.

Long_hair_bear
March 20th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks, everyone for the replies! The conditioner method was sort of tried. After the Great Coconut Oil Mishap of 2014 (thats what it shall now be known as, besides an epic fail!), I tried shampooing, ACVing, then washing with a coney condish.

Should I try a non coney condish on dry hair?

sarahthegemini
March 20th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Put a load of conditioner on dry hair, leave for 30 mins then rinse it out very well. Or just use a strong shampoo.

Stiria
March 20th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Conditioner on dry hair is what works best for me when I wash out oil. I let the conditioner sit on my hair at least a few minutes, but preferably longer (perhaps 10-20 minutes) before I massage and rinse it out.

Wildcat Diva
March 20th, 2014, 12:27 PM
You could even add a shower cap and add some heat to the soaking conditioner. I use a heat cap but if your own a blow dryer that could warm up the hair under the shower cap too.

Long_hair_bear
March 20th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Will try this tonight..... fingers crossed, ladies!

furnival
March 20th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I regularly soak my hair in masses of coconut oil and I've never had a problem getting it out- I just lather it in conditioner, leave it for a while, rinse out, lather in more conditioner and rinse again. If it still feels greasy I slap the conditioner on a third time. Good luck! :)

swearnsue
March 20th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Shampoo and very warm water, twice, should do it.

The only oil I've had some trouble removing is castor oil that I drenched my head and hair in when I was new to LHC! I think I shampooed through at least 3 times to get it out!

LongHairLesbian
March 20th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Omg I just did this a few hours ago. My hair isn't super greasy, but it definitely looks and feels a bit different than it usually does. Oops! I don't know if this is a route you're willing to take, but I'm just going to put it up until the next wash day, which is Sunday. I've over oiled before, and when I tie my hair back, no one can tell. Rather, they usually compliment me on the hair style... a hairstyle I was able to achieve because the oil gives my fine, slippery hair more grip than usual! ;)

Long_hair_bear
March 20th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Hair is now in its conditioner.... we'll see! Hope this works! :pray:

ichosethis
March 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I did this yesterday and decided to just leave it. It only looks greasy down and my roots look excellent so whatever. I'll wash a day early so i can wear my hair down for a couple hours Sunday and make my sister jealous, but otherwise, I don't care. I don't think I over oiled so much as my shampoo bar just can't quite handle getting it out, I know the shampoo I was using before the bar has no problem and I still have plenty of it left.

Long_hair_bear
March 20th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Well, the CO wash method didn't work, so I essentially CWC'd it with a clarifying condish. Its easier for me to remoisturize my hair after clarifying than it is to get oil out of it, apparently.