PDA

View Full Version : Washing very long hair in the shower?

MadeiraD
March 18th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I'm just wondering is it damaging to wash very long hair in the shower, I know hair gets fragile and stretchy when wet, and I wonder if the weight of the hair might tend to pull and cause breakage. Would it be better to wash the length flat so its weight is supported?

Chromis
March 18th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty sure washing it in the sink or flat in the tub would make a ton of tangles for me!

I just shower normally. I use a shower cap if I am not washing my hair because I hate having wet hair more than I have to, but I have not noticed my hair stretching or breaking when wet. It does look longer when wet, but only because the water pulls it completely straight, same as if I had someone hold it gently at the bottom to measure. (At knee length, I can't hold the bottom myself and have it straight. My arms can't reach!)

Quixii
March 18th, 2014, 07:39 PM
I can't imagine practically washing hair laying flat.

Personally, I've never noticed damage from simply having hair stretching a bit, like during being washed. If there is any, I don't think it's worth it to try and avoid.

HeavenlyTresses
March 18th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I don't believe I've ever noticed any breakage from washing in the shower. But then again mine is medium to course and the ends are pretty resilient. I can't imagine washing it any other way though, seems like I would be working on it all day trying to get shampoo and conditioner rinsed out and then dealing with tangles.

MeowScat
March 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I'm just wondering is it damaging to wash very long hair in the shower, I know hair gets fragile and stretchy when wet, and I wonder if the weight of the hair might tend to pull and cause breakage. Would it be better to wash the length flat so its weight is supported?

I see from your stats that we're practically hair twins. :waving: I understand your point, but I've never had a problem with damage from washing it in the shower. If you lay your hair flat, it could tangle a ton from the water swishing around it and it might not rinse as thoroughly. (I'm assuming you mean laying down in the bathtub?)

If you're not taking really long showers everyday where your hair is under water for long periods of time, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you're out of the shower, just separate your hair gently so it dries faster.

I remember seeing a YouTube video from Cinnamon Hair, she's knee-length and she said she washed her hair everyday in the shower and her hair is beautiful.

ladyfey
March 19th, 2014, 04:26 AM
I wash every other day in the shower. I can't imagine trying to wash flat. I'm at ankle length (and having my annual would-winter-just-end-already urge to cut) it works just fine for me.

embee
March 19th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I've never noticed any such problem. For me, the major damage/loss/tangling came from *scrubbing* my scalp and hair as they show in commercials. I guess that works well enough if your hair is only a couple inches long all over.

SleepyTangles
March 19th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Washing it flat or with the head upside down in the sink is a big no for me. Tangles everywhere.
I like showers: standing straight with detangled hair makes everything simpler. I take a cheap hairstick with me, as I like to bun it while I let it soak in conditioner!

Madora
March 19th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I've been washing my long hair in the shower for decades with no ill effects. It all boils down to how you use you fingers and how well you keep the hair sectioned while shampooing/conditioning/rinsing. I can't picture washing the length flat because I don't want my clean hair getting dirty again from runoff if kept flat. I've used both methods while shampooing...standing and bending at the waist, with all my hair in front of me.