PDA

View Full Version : trimmers! how often do you trim?

cdonald2
March 18th, 2014, 12:43 AM
I know there are many women on here who are able to go for a long period of time without trims. However, i cannot :/ i am at that awkward stage with my hair just NOW past my shoulders (yay! its grown since i started!) and, it wont be past its awkwardness until about 2.5 -3 more inches. My hair also flips up at the end and when it grows, rather than it looking longer, the flip of it just becomes more noticeable-__- which is terrible for this length too because it looks like it doesnt grow.

anywho,
for those like me who find the need to trim. how often do you do so?
or those who have advice on breaking the habit slowly, how would be a good way to go about this?

Ive done a good job of not trimming at all since the middle of January, but like i said. my ends are driving me bonkers. O.o

Wosie
March 18th, 2014, 01:27 AM
I also have slightly wavy hair, and yes, the waves shorten the length of the hair so that it grows sideways instead of downwards for a while after you've reached shoulder length. x) But once the side wave has been put to rest the non-cutting is all worthwhile!
I don't really have any good advice when it comes to avoid cutting, as I just yearn for long hair, and cutting means shorter hair, not longer hair... and that's how I avoid doing it. I don't want to go backwards in progress, unless I have damage. Of course I still feel like cutting it at times (layers), but I persevere.

Have you thought about choosing a few set dates every year when you cut your hair? I don't know if this'd help you, but I think it might work for me. :hmm:

restless
March 18th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Hm... I think youīll gonna have to go through those flippy, awkward stages no matter what. Trimming wont solve it, itīll only make you further away from your goal and prolong the awkwardness. Unless you have layers you want to get rid off or the ends are thin and broken (which you dont mention), I wouldnt trim in an attempt to get rid of the flips as I dont see how thatīd work. Just my :twocents:

emilia1992
March 18th, 2014, 03:09 AM
I trim once a month and my hair grows fast. But that's because I have split ends (old dye damage) - if you can go without a trim, do so should you wish, but if you do want to trim, make sure you know how fast your hair grows so you're not cutting off more than you've grown :)

Maid M
March 18th, 2014, 04:12 AM
I used to trim every 5 weeks when I had my roots colored (I still have a fair amount of highlighting and heat damage). I now color every 6 weeks and only trim every 2nd color (so every 12 weeks). Even then I only get the tiniest bit taken off my ends. My wavy awkward length and layered hair also drives me crazy due to some crazy flips. I just try and take care of my hair the best I can so I don't sustain too much damage between trims then I don't feel so bad about extending the time. I'm hoping that as my hair grows out of this awkward stage I can wait even longer between trims.

If your ends are driving you crazy and you have damage, I say trim. Find someone you trust and just have the bare minimum taken off! If you don't have damage or raggedy ends I would try and resist the urge to cut for as long as you can :)

cdonald2
March 18th, 2014, 07:56 AM
I do t really get damage but when my ends feel dry i trim

Anje
March 18th, 2014, 08:12 AM
When your ends are dry, it's usually something that can be solved without cutting. Sometimes it's buildup, sometimes it's need of oil or a different conditioning treatment. If you know what it is, great, but if not I just like to do all three. Clarify especially the ends, deep condition (SMTs are fantastic for this for me), and when you rinse it out put a little dab of your favorite hair oil (coconut's a good default, but use something that you know your hair drinks up) on the ends and length. Some people will put a protein step in there too, based on what they know their hair likes.

Otherwise, I agree that trimming the flippy ends will just prolong the flippy ends stage. If there's no damage or thinness or unevenness that you're getting twitchy to get rid of, it's best to power through this for a couple months. Save the trimming for when you see damage or need to even your hair up.

restless
March 18th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I do t really get damage but when my ends feel dry i trim

Instead of cutting when the ends feel dry, have you tried clarifying and/or oiling them? :) Sometimes build up can make the hair feel rough, tangly or dry and thats when clarifying comes in. All ends also need a little bit of moisture every now and then, hence why oiling is very popular here. When my ends feel funny, I try those two things first and if it still doesnt feel good afterward Id might consider a trim.

Edit: Anje was faster than me...

alishaxmarie
March 18th, 2014, 09:04 AM
You seem worried that you'll trim too often. Some who have this issue choose to trim or S&D (search and destroy split ends and white dots) by the moon (Here's a link to the official thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69119)). There are multiple "methods" as to when one should cut their hair for maximum growth; some cut by the waxing or Full moon whereas others cut by New moons. For instance, there's the Morroccan method (https://www.morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-care) (named after its founder, not the country) and a few other popular methods which stem from occult practices. Here's a link (http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip001.htm) with a lot of information but do keep in mind that not everyone chooses to cut by the New Moon for length, some believe that the Full Moon will speed growth and that the New Moon is for thickening hair while it grows slower. It just depends which method you decide works best for you.

I personally need to S&D pretty often, my hair just splits too easily and I can't stand to see the damage! Splits/white dots makes me obsess that every little thing I'm doing is damaging my hair even more lol. You don't need to give up trimming altogether, you just shouldn't do it more than necessary because then you'll trim away anything you manage to grow (and remain in the awkward stage as others have mentioned). However, trimming is the only way to rid yourself of the damage once it's there. Hope you've got at least a little help from this :)

Magalo
March 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I feel like I need a trim every 3-4 months. I trim about 0.5 to 1.5" off every time. I have lot of old dye and heat damage though. I trim when my ends start feeling thin/ratty.

cdonald2
March 18th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Thankyou ladies! @anje any oil suggestions other than coconut oil?
@alishaxmarie i will definitely check that out

Melisandre
March 18th, 2014, 09:51 AM
My hair has been cut horribly in January (a really uneven, with weird layers bob). I'm growing it now and I have an appointment at the hair dresser for 19 April, because I want to even it out a bit. But I'm afraid I'll loose too much length and I'm not sure if it's really going to be necessary, ie. if you'll see that it's uneven when it's past my shoulders. Oh well, it's not April yet :)

cdonald2
March 18th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Looks like i will start doing new moon trims :)

lapushka
March 18th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Ive done a good job of not trimming at all since the middle of January, but like i said. my ends are driving me bonkers. O.o

If you keep trimming too often, you are *never* going to go past this "flip" stage. Just keep that in mind. ;)

Anje
March 18th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Thankyou ladies! @anje any oil suggestions other than coconut oil?
I always liked how olive oil made my hair feel, but it's REALLY easy to overdo it (more so than most oils, in my experience) and have your hair get all stringy. Sesame and emu oil are also favorites of mine.

ETA: Lately I've been using some of the Nightblooming Winter Panacea, and it's also in the recommended category. Really nice stuff.

shutterpillar
March 18th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I trim about every 3-4 months. I feel like it keeps my hemline in check, keeps my ends from feeling too tangly, and it's also slowly getting rid of my layers. Maybe when my layers are gone I'll be able to go every 4-5 months between trims, but I think my hair will always need them due to it's texture.

If you're wanting to stop trimming so much, maybe set some goals for yourself. For example, I just trimmed about 1.5 inches off my hair a few weeks ago and now I want to make sure I give it some time to grow before another trim, so I've set a goal for myself to not trim until July. That's 4 months away, which is about as long as my hair will currently go between trims without becoming too gnarly.

Edit: for some reason my phone did not show me that there was an entire second page to this thread, so sorry to reply after the issue has been resolved. :blossom: Good luck with your moon trims! As for oils recommendations - I love avocado oil and sweet almond oil. I second the Nightblooming Panaceas, too! I've been using those on my hair far more often than I use oil these days.

QMacrocarpa
March 18th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I self-trim about twice a year, I've set up repeating reminders in my Google calendar, and it sends me an email so I won't forget because if I wait too long I do start getting breakage. My ends are only really nice and silky for a week or two after a trim. My hair is split- and breakage-prone, and it's just always going to be in rougher shape at the ends. Hasn't stopped me from reaching waist-length though. Oiling does help me stretch my trims, I liked jojoba and almond was okay, but for tightwad reasons now stick with cheap, non-virgin olive oil from the grocery store. Oiling dry hair works best for me, so I generally oil the day after I wash, mostly the last six inches or so. I generally don't need to do repeated oilings between washes. I store most of the olive oil in the fridge so it won't go rancid, and just keep a small container in the bathroom. Personally, I wouldn't worry about my ends feeling dry, I'd only worry about my ends instantly tangling, or getting tell-tale short bits of broken-off hair when I detangle.

LanaBanana
March 18th, 2014, 02:30 PM
I have been trimming a quarter inch every 3-4 months for the past year and a half, and it has worked well for me. I try to only trim when my ends LOOK like they need it (uneven scraggly looking hem) instead of when they feel like they need it. If they feel gross, I do a deep treatment. My favorite is mixing olive oil with a moisturizing conditioner (as opposed to a protein conditioner, since my hair doesn't react well to that. Obviously YMMV), slathering my hair generously and leaving it for about an hour. Then I CO it out and I have wonderful silky hair! I did this two days ago and am enjoying the effects now :-) Also, nightblooming panacea makes my hair feel better when it's a little rough.

melomane
March 18th, 2014, 10:53 PM
I trim my hair twice a year, but I think I'll change to once a year with regular S&D:)

spidermom
March 18th, 2014, 11:07 PM
I get a trim about every 8 weeks. For length increase while keeping the ends in pretty good shape, getting a 1/2 inch trim every 3 months seemed just about perfect.

threadOfGold
March 19th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Hi everyone! Quick question,
Does s&d mean finding a split end and pulling it or does it mean cutting it off? Sorry for those who are cringing at this question right now, I'm relatively new to LHC. Thank you :)

Stray_mind
March 19th, 2014, 02:01 AM
It means cutting it off with really sharp scissors. S&D is short for Search & Destroy as I found out. Don't pull your split ends. It gives you nothing but more split ends... Now last time I trimmed my hair (at a salon) was last November. I am planning a small trim next month and then in October. So that would be trimming every six months...

VJG
March 19th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I get a 1/2" trim every 3 months. It helps keep an even-ish hemline.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that you no longer needed input.

cdonald2
March 19th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I feel like my length almost requires more trims to make it look somewhat acceptable. Once i hit collarbone in 3 more inches i will be home free

cdonald2
March 19th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Its cool :) i appreciate all input

cdonald2
March 19th, 2014, 04:46 PM
@anje ive heard mixed things about olive oil. Half say it works great, the oter say it eventually dries out hair. Have you heard this theory? Id love to start using olive. Super convenient

FallingDarkness
March 19th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I've been TRYING to not trim, but if I absolutely need it, by having a million split ends or something, I will. My ends are dry, but not damaged, so I think I'm good. I'll probably trim in the summer. The last time I trimmed was in October. I don't have a legits schedule or anything, I just kinda roll with what my hair needs. S&D is great, I did my first successful one yesterday...
I'm crossing my fingers that I can make it until July or so without a trim.

Anje
March 19th, 2014, 05:41 PM
@anje ive heard mixed things about olive oil. Half say it works great, the oter say it eventually dries out hair. Have you heard this theory? Id love to start using olive. Super convenient
Eh, give it a try. Not all oils work for all people, so it's possible that some found it drying while you wouldn't. It's not one of the oils that I'd worry about drying into a film on the hair (grapeseed might, flax/linseed oil is known for this) though, so I don't feel any particular need to caution you about anything. If it does feel a bit dry or crunchy, washing and a deep moisturizing treatment or two should sort it out again.

Coconut oil is more notable for doing the crunchy hair thing to some folks. It used to do it to me if I applied it heavily to dry hair, but you can easily rebalance your hair from that state if it happens.

Llama
March 19th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I've made it a point to get my hair trimmed every 6 months or so (twice a year). That's when I start really "feeling" like I need a trim normally.