PDA

View Full Version : Straight hair from coconut oil

Arwenlily
March 16th, 2014, 11:21 PM
I guess I can't use coconut oil anymore because when I do, my hair becomes straight! It takes a day or two to soak in and then I will wake up in the morning with straight hair that is wispy. Im not sure how else to describe it ... but wispy. And I can't get the coconut oil out unless I clarify and che late. Why does this happen?

megatr0n
March 17th, 2014, 03:55 AM
I get the same problem with coconut oil, which was a shame because I heard a lot of good things about it (some bad too, but I had high hopes!) I just assumed it was the heaviness of it as it was such a nightmare to wash out. I ended up having to shampoo multiple times to get it all out and even then it left my hair really straight and limp.

I then switched to almond oil which seemed a lot lighter and my hair absorbed it a lot better. Conditioner gets it out of my hair just fine too, which is a bonus. It definitely seems that everyone's hair reacts differently to coconut oil, it's a miracle for some and horrible for others. Maybe try switching up the type of oil you use? I get a different result from each kind of oil I've tried so maybe it'll just take a bit of experimenting to find what's right for you. :)

Raging Wolf
March 17th, 2014, 04:22 AM
In order to remove coconut oil from your hair. You need to apply conditioner to your hair approximately 15 to 25 minutes before you shampoo. It works for me, hair comes out really soft and manageable. I don't apply a heavy application of oil to my ends, just a light amount while my hair is damp. I have found that my hair is quite fond of Aragon oil. Thing I may have misspelled the name, but it is a different type of oil that does quite well in my hair type.

BrendaLoan
March 17th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Maybe you are using too much? I use coconut oil as a pre wash treatment(I leave it overnight) and a few times I have used too much and my hair ends up heavy and waves won't form. But when I get the right amount, I love it

spidermom
March 17th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Coconut oil is great as a pre-wash treatment for me. It comes out with conditioner. I dilute-shampoo my scalp, then apply conditioner to the length over the oil and let it marinate while I finish my wash-up. Then I rinse out the conditioner. Only rarely does my hair retain enough oil to be bothersome, which to me means wear it up until my scalp area gets oily, then I wash it again without the pre-wash coconut oil application.

Different strokes for different folks!

Mythago
March 17th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I always have to think about my water when using new stuff for my hair. The hardness/softness of your water will have an effect on the state of your hair and also on how well things wash out. Could it be that your water is affecting the way the coconut oil is working, or at least how hard it is to get it out? Just a thought...good luck :)

Henna Girl
March 17th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Maybe your hair doesn't like coconut oil. It washes out nicely with my CV shampoo bar. You can try sesame seed oil, it is a light oil that washes out much quicker.

Carolyn
March 17th, 2014, 07:31 AM
I wish it would straighten my hair. I use it as a pre wash treatment and as a leave in on the second day once in a while. I have 1c hair and would love 1a. Coconut oil usually comes out very easily with CO washing for me. If it doesn't, I'm like Spidermom and just put my hair up that day.

Arwenlily
March 17th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I get the same problem with coconut oil, which was a shame because I heard a lot of good things about it (some bad too, but I had high hopes!) I just assumed it was the heaviness of it as it was such a nightmare to wash out. I ended up having to shampoo multiple times to get it all out and even then it left my hair really straight and limp.

I then switched to almond oil which seemed a lot lighter and my hair absorbed it a lot better. Conditioner gets it out of my hair just fine too, which is a bonus. It definitely seems that everyone's hair reacts differently to coconut oil, it's a miracle for some and horrible for others. Maybe try switching up the type of oil you use? I get a different result from each kind of oil I've tried so maybe it'll just take a bit of experimenting to find what's right for you. :)

Thank so much for your help :) So far I've tried olive, coconut, and almond and my hair has no problem with olive or almond. I just wanted to like coconut oil because I heard so many good things about it! But maybe it is not for me.

Arwenlily
March 17th, 2014, 09:29 AM
It seems like maybe I have used too much and it is likely that the hardness of my water may be affecting how difficult it is to get coconut oil out of my hair. I'm going to try using the conditioner to get it out. How long should I leave it in for?

Nope
March 17th, 2014, 09:51 AM
In my own experience, it would probably be best to leave it in anywhere from 10-30 minutes. It also works better for some people if you put the conditioner on dry hair. :)

Arwenlily
March 17th, 2014, 11:29 AM
In my own experience, it would probably be best to leave it in anywhere from 10-30 minutes. It also works better for some people if you put the conditioner on dry hair. :)

I'm going to give that a try, thanks :flowers:

Arwenlily
March 17th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Now that I'm thinking about it though. I've been having difficulties with over conditioning my hair so I have been trying not to condition too much. Do you think that leaving conditioner in for too long would adversely affect my hair?

woodswanderer
March 17th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Go figure. It makes mine wavier. I'm splitting the length and working 7 drops through on each side as a leave in after washing.

Arwenlily
March 17th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Go figure. It makes mine wavier. I'm splitting the length and working 7 drops through on each side as a leave in after washing.

Wow really? I took maybe 2-3 tip of the nail sized pieces from virgin coconut oil and mine hair is ridiculous right now. It's possible that it didn't come out from the last wash, and I just added more on. What is the porosity of your hair?