PDA

View Full Version : will this work?

cdonald2
March 16th, 2014, 09:33 PM
a while back i posted a thread about going cone free. its working very well for me so far now that ive switched to shampoo bars. However, my hair was screaming for protein and i have yet to buy the ingredients for an all natural protein treatment.So i did aphogees 2 step (theres cones in both the treatment and conditioner)

i followed the directions and i clarified before with watered down V05, (sulfates)
put the treatment on and blew dry as per intructions
rinsed out with the conditioner after leaving it on for 5 min

then rewashed it with the sulfate shampoo to remove any cones.

is this okay to do when my hair needs the protein (every 6-8 weeks) or am i ruining my hair?

spidermom
March 16th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't wash straight away. The cones won't do any harm by staying on there until the next necessary hair washing.

meteor
March 16th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I agree with Spidermom - no need to wash off the treatment with a sulphate shampoo, just rinse it off, as per instructions. Maybe use a sulphate shampoo at your next wash to remove the cones.
I really recommend following up protein treatments with a very emollient, slippy, moisturizing conditioner, rich in oils, to avoid potential roughness/dryness that often happens after a heavy protein treatment.

I think a protein treatment every 6-8 weeks is excellent practice, especially since your hair really needs it. Since Aphogee is pretty strong, be mindful of how your hair reacts and take a long break if you see brittleness, roughness or dryness.

cdonald2
March 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM
thankyou :) ill definitely keep in mind formy next treatment. I know i should be able to go 100% cone free. but i just love what aphogee does for my hair... i cant ditch it.

Anje
March 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Even if you don't go 100% silicone-free, your hair won't be ruined. What will ruin hair is persisting in a routine that isn't right for it because you think it's "better", despite your hair obviously indicating otherwise.

And yes, that's a lesson I've had to learn several times over. No matter how much other people love a routine and how much sense the explanations for why it is great for hair make, if your hair hates something, sticking to it will not improve the situation.

ErinLeigh
March 16th, 2014, 10:15 PM
What does the protein do for your hair?
I think cones would be fine and just leave them to be removed for next wash. It will just be a few days of nice ssmooth hair :)

I kinda freak when cones get on my hair and wash out immediately. I need to stop worrrying about it. I actually think the do well for hair when used occasionally.

ErinLeigh
March 16th, 2014, 10:16 PM
What does the protein do for your hair?
I think cones would be fine and just leave them to be removed for next wash. It will just be a few days of nice ssmooth hair :)

I kinda freak when cones get on my hair and wash out immediately. I need to stop worrrying about it. I actually think the do well for hair when used occasionally.

MeAndTheMaz
March 16th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Even if you don't go 100% silicone-free, your hair won't be ruined. What will ruin hair is persisting in a routine that isn't right for it because you think it's "better", despite your hair obviously indicating otherwise.

And yes, that's a lesson I've had to learn several times over. No matter how much other people love a routine and how much sense the explanations for why it is great for hair make, if your hair hates something, sticking to it will not improve the situation.

Not to do any thread hijacking, but how does one know if one needs protein, or conversely if it's not such a good idea? Other than Finding Out the Hard Way.

minxe
March 17th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Not to do any thread hijacking, but how does one know if one needs protein, or conversely if it's not such a good idea? Other than Finding Out the Hard Way.

Normally the rule of thumb is if your hair feels "gummy." If you're able to stretch out individual strands of hair to great lengths when wet, it's a pretty good sign that your hair is overmoisturized and lacking protein. Conversely, if your hair is brittle and snaps easily, your hair probably has probably had more than enough protein.

MeAndTheMaz
March 17th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks. I've heard (seen) the horror stories of those that managed to over protein, but wasn't sure about an under protein condition.

I'm going to guess that if neither condition applies, maybe don't worry about it?

Off to shovel snow. . .again!

cdonald2
March 17th, 2014, 10:46 PM
anyone have some good moisture options for hair? other than coconut oil or olive oil? i need something to penetrate the cuticle, not just temporarily seal it.