PDA

View Full Version : Any Way to De-part Hair?

OperaPhantom
March 16th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Hello!
I've worn my hair in a middle part for years, so now whenever I try to do any updo or other hairstyle, even a ponytail, the part won't go away. Is there any way to fix this? I don't have a lot of hair products or brushes at my disposal, but I want to be able to put my hair up. Do you have any suggestions?

lapushka
March 16th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Every new wash you can choose your part anew! Doesn't have to be a middle part. So next time, when it's wet try and comb it all back, see where it parts naturally and if that's the middle, try and shift your part to a side-part to get it to lay differently. When dry, brush it all back into a ponytail or bun.

OperaPhantom
March 16th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I have a problem with brushing it back. Because I've worn a middle part for so long, at least 4 years, whenever I try to brush it back either wet or dry, it doesn't go flat back. It either dents at the part, or parts completely.
If I'm misunderstanding or something, I apologize. I've never really taken an interest in my appearance before, so this is all new to me. :oops:

SereneCurls
March 16th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I don't have any good advice, but I wanted to tell you that you're not alone. My hair has a very determined centre part, and if I try to change it I run into all sorts of trouble. Maybe someone else with a persistent part will give us the secret. :)

Kherome
March 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
My hair is so set in it's center part that if I side part it my hairs hurt.

Chromis
March 16th, 2014, 07:21 PM
My hair has a similarly determined part. Doesn't matter if I try to move it when wet or if I try to use product. I recall when the "swoosh" big bangs were in style and trying soooo hard to make my hair do that. My part laughs even at Aqua Net! Even if I got it to look like I succeeded, by midday it was back like Old Mister Johnson's famous yellow cat.

I just leave it do what it wants and put my hair up anyhow. I think it looks fine, or at least a lot better than when I try to fight with it!

Kaelee
March 16th, 2014, 09:09 PM
My hair also has a very determined center part...my bangs keep trying to split, even immediately after a wash when they're wet and I comb them straight down, they part while wet! :laugh: I just do the best I can.

GoddesJourney
March 16th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Train it to part elsewhere. A low bun should help keep it in place. I would put it up wet but you can use product instead if you like. As it adjusts, train a part on the other side. This may take a few weeks but you should be able to have it straight back afterward. I trained mine.

OperaPhantom
March 16th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'll try again. Fingers crossed I can train it. Thank you! :D

teddygirl
March 16th, 2014, 09:44 PM
You can also use bobby pins to pin down the hair where you'd like the new part, and keep them in the same place. For several days. That should 'train' thee haairs to fall another way.

LauraLongLocks
March 16th, 2014, 10:24 PM
My natural part is on my left. It's just the way it wants to part, but I can get a decent middle part or a so-so right part if I part it while it's still wet and blow it dry that way (on cool so no damage).

Wisé
March 17th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Two cents from me besides what was already mentioned:

I have a stubborn part, too. But I don't mind, I just don't try to pull my hair straight back against it will, I just pull them back on the sides and leave he part alone

If you prefer the straight back look, maybe try securing it with a headband (one of those with tiny teeth for extra hold) or on very high hairstyles with a comb.

Mythago
March 17th, 2014, 06:46 AM
When I want to switch up my part I always part it where I want when it's wet, then pin it. That way it holds it in place without the chance of it slipping back to the previous part. Word of warning though, it will feel weird at first. You wouldn't think a hair part would feel so strange, but it does for me. Good luck :)

Madora
March 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM
You are having problems because you've kept your center part for a long period of time, and the follicles have been "trained" to that position.

To help with updos, comb your hair back, then bobby pin the center part hairs. Style as you wish. It will take time to retrain your follicles to a "no part" look.

~Abi~
March 17th, 2014, 09:25 AM
I retrained my part by parting when it was wet, and then pinning it to keep it in place. After a couple of weeks of consistently keeping the hair pinned on the side with bobby pins or barrettes or mini claw clips, my hair will stay parted where I want it to be. As far as updos, changing the location of your part around a couple times will help as your hair isn't stuck on laying on one direction as much, or just pinning the hair straight back will train it to go back for updos.

Bagginslover
March 17th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Try french braiding. This hold the hairs in a different way to bunning, and if you start on top of your head rather than in the back, it physically won't be able to part once in the braid ;)

Anje
March 17th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Parting it differently and making it dry that way will certainly help, but sometimes hair is just stubborn. I've parted on the left side for many years, but when I wake up in the morning, my hair is parted in the middle. :lol:

Silly question, but where on your head are you putting your ponytail or bun or whatever? If it's low, your hair is much more likely to part than if you position it higher up, such as at your crown. The hair likes to find the shortest path to your bun, and typically that involves parting when hair is gathered near the nape.

OperaPhantom
March 17th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Parting it differently and making it dry that way will certainly help, but sometimes hair is just stubborn. I've parted on the left side for many years, but when I wake up in the morning, my hair is parted in the middle. :lol:

Silly question, but where on your head are you putting your ponytail or bun or whatever? If it's low, your hair is much more likely to part than if you position it higher up, such as at your crown. The hair likes to find the shortest path to your bun, and typically that involves parting when hair is gathered near the nape.

I don't know how to make a high ponytail or bun, whenever I do my hair bunches up and won't lay smooth, so I've been doing my buns and ponytails at the nape of my neck. I'm going to try learning how to make them higher, though. I think one of my problems is that I was styling dry hair, not damp hair, because my grandmother was like, "that's how I've always done it." xP

QMacrocarpa
March 20th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I have found it helpful to change my part right before or after I wash my hair, and then let my hair dry with a stretchy hairband keeping the part where I want it. Over time, my part seems to get easier to change up.

I almost always keep my hair parted with my updos, I prefer the way that looks with my front hairline (though I'm starting to switch that up too, because I like variety).

Anje
March 20th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I don't know how to make a high ponytail or bun, whenever I do my hair bunches up and won't lay smooth, so I've been doing my buns and ponytails at the nape of my neck. I'm going to try learning how to make them higher, though. I think one of my problems is that I was styling dry hair, not damp hair, because my grandmother was like, "that's how I've always done it." xP
It took me some practice to work that one out. The way I do it is to start by combing all your hair straight back. Lean backward, and grab the hair near the scalp about as high as you can. Realistically, that's something like ear level. You probably have lumps at this point. Comb the sides, top, and underneath, releasing and re-grabbing the hair after you've passed your comb where your hand goes, and trying to coax it higher, especially when you do the bottom.

If you want it up really high, like on top of your head, you can bend over forward (or lie on the bed on your stomach with your head hanging off). Comb all your hair that way so it's smooth, then gather it and bun it. I find that my follicles start to ache at me a few hours later if I do this, though, because I haven't put much effort into teaching them to allow a bun that high up. So don't be surprised if it hurts a bit after a while. Just take it down, maybe wash your hair/scalp to relieve that ache, and do it again soon. It requires some training and exercise for your scalp to not get tired from that, so don't get discouraged.

Don't worry, it takes practice. I was younger than you are when I sorted it out, and I think I spent a week or two with my hair under a baseball cap, ponytailed out the back, to cover the fact that the top was completely lumpy and hideous. :lol:

Dovetail
March 21st, 2014, 09:44 AM
I agree with the bobby pins on wet hair to get your part retrained. It took me a few weeks of doing this. Also for high styles I get TONS of lumps, what I do is lean over the arm of the couch backward (like with my face up to the ceiling) then I brush it all back and gather it, then I put in the pony holder while still bent over. I've found this keeps all my bumps away ^-^ work WITH gravity!

SkyChild
March 21st, 2014, 10:26 AM
It's worth noting that retraining partings takes a couple of weeks usually, so be determined and don't give up if it doesn't work on day one!

Laurenji
March 21st, 2014, 12:10 PM
I agree with the bobby pins on wet hair to get your part retrained. It took me a few weeks of doing this. Also for high styles I get TONS of lumps, what I do is lean over the arm of the couch backward (like with my face up to the ceiling) then I brush it all back and gather it, then I put in the pony holder while still bent over. I've found this keeps all my bumps away ^-^ work WITH gravity!

See, my hair actually grows straight up in the back (it's a weird cowlick I inherited from my dad), so the higher I can style my hair, the less bumpy it is! Too bad I hate the look of most really high hairstyles on myself.

jacqueline101
March 21st, 2014, 12:47 PM
You can also use bobby pins to pin down the hair where you'd like the new part, and keep them in the same place. For several days. That should 'train' thee haairs to fall another way.

I've done this in the past and it worked fine.