PDA

View Full Version : What are the benefits of hair sticks?

FallingDarkness
March 15th, 2014, 09:06 PM
They're obviously used a lot on here, and I'm wondering if they're more beneficial to your hair then scrunchies are! That's how I keep my hair in buns, anyways. :P Just wanting to know if I should invest in some. I found a really pretty one at the mall today and almost bought it, but decided against it, due to the fact that I don't know anything about them!!

MadeiraD
March 15th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Well I'd say they're more secure than scrunchies

truepeacenik
March 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM
I feel a bun held by a stick, pair of sticks, fork, or nice clip has (the potential for) a more polished look.
More streamlined.

panffle
March 15th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I guess they are also less damaging to the hair? I don't wear hair sticks though, they hurt my head...

neko_kawaii
March 15th, 2014, 09:52 PM
There are numerous ways to do a bun with a single stick, add another stick and there are a few more. How many ways can you do a bun with a scrunchie?

blace
March 15th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I've been wondering this too. Scrunchies are my go-to right now at this length (just past APL).

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I always found forks held much better in my hair at the shorter lengths.

Synnovea
March 15th, 2014, 10:08 PM
In comparison to hair ties, which you don't use so don't worry, they're less damaging. I find them semi-challenging to work with and prefer forks instead, but when I do get them to stay put, they look elegant.

Anje
March 15th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I find them way more comfortable than scrunchies or elastics for securing buns. They distribute the weight better, so the updo feels lighter. More secure and less damage too, since having an elastic holding my hair up with just the support of the outer hairs taking the stress tends to break hair for me.

Ambystoma
March 15th, 2014, 11:26 PM
They're really versatile, hair friendly, look elegant, and once you have the skill of using them down you will never be at a loss for something to put your hair up with in a hurry ever again - in an emergency anything smooth will do; pens, pencils, the handle end of a clean toothbrush/makeup brush :laugh:

Beborani
March 15th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Years ago I used to use porcupine needles, very smooth and strong as hairstick (felt totally cool!) and I felt I was ripping through my hair. Fast forward a few decades, I bought a nice fork and find I am doing the same sometimes and my hair is not particularly fragile. But I see it works for lots of people here, so wont write it off completely but I cant just stick it in, have to do it gently and carefully.

rosalinda
March 16th, 2014, 06:11 AM
lots of styles you can do with it, no damage, looks good, quick and easy to use, you get to do the drop - a single pull and it's all down. i like doing that.

i bought wooden chopsticks, cut them to nearly half the size, and painted them with nail varnish. now, this was day before yesterday that i painted them and i'm wearing the sticks now but i'm kinda paranoid than the nail varnish is going to get in my hair. wahhhhhhh it won't right?

tlover
March 16th, 2014, 07:56 AM
If you have a crochet hook you can try out how you like hairsticks.

I don't have a hairstick yet but I'll order one as soon as I get paypal but with a crochet hook I dont need any bobby pins or so just my crochet hook :)

YamaMaya
March 16th, 2014, 08:30 AM
1) They're easy, just put a stick/fork in and it's set.
2) They're not damaging like elastics or bobby pins
3) They look pretty :D

Toffeemonster
March 16th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Less damage and secure hold.

elea
March 16th, 2014, 10:56 AM
beborami: give it a lill wiggle. goes in easier. (assuming you use super smooth sticks. if not, well... it the stick the problem, not the way you do it) *;O)

stick: it in, it stays and difficult to beat 30 seconds hair-do time in the morning *:OD
that me

but yes, less damage to hair, many different ways to bun and it looks sleek like many said.

lapushka
March 16th, 2014, 11:04 AM
When you're at shorter lengths (shorter than BSL), you wonder what they're there for. Once you need to put your hair up in more creative ways, and you're past the elastics, scrunchies, and claw/jaw clips, then the penny drops. It's a process like any other, but you do need the length for it, first and foremost!

LauraLongLocks
March 16th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Exactly what Lapushka said ^^.

A scrunchie worked until my hair got longer. Then I *needed* something that would hold better because my hair would fall out of its bun when held with a scrunchie. And, I now know so many new buns, and couldn't secure them with scrunchies.

meteor
March 16th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I don't know anything less damaging to hold hair with than a smooth hair stick.
It's also very minimalist, elegant and versatile, and you'll always have people wondering how you manage to hold all that hair with one stick and asking you to teach them the trick! :)

FallingDarkness
March 16th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Ooh okay. Awesomesauce. I might go out and buy one, but my hair isn't all that long yet, so it might not work for me right now... Eventually though. :)