PDA

View Full Version : Taming the hairy halo?

LightSabr
March 14th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Hello all! I have course wavy hair. There is always a halo of flyaways, even if when I pull the strands straight they meet up with the rest of my hair (showing that they aren't broken). I think it looks like damage. In the olden days I would have used hair spray and forgotten about it, but I was wondering if anyone had
more hair friendly products to recommend for this. I use a wide tooth comb, leave in conditioner, and occasionally a light oil to try and counter this, but nothing seems to help.

Lyv
March 14th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Aloe vera gel works really well for fly aways!

LightSabr
March 14th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Thank you! I'll have to try some. Does it make the hair greasy or crunchy?

Lyv
March 15th, 2014, 04:33 AM
It doesn't do either for me, it just makes my hair really soft.

Theobroma
March 15th, 2014, 04:45 AM
From the way you describe it, I think it probably isn't damage but regrowth. Since you're wavy, your short baby hairs will be wavy as well, which makes them stick out from among their longer neighbours.

I second the recommendation for AVG to make them lie down. Do note, though, that if you live in a very dry environment you may find it drying. It's a humectant and will pull moisture out of your hair if there's hardly any moisture in the air! I can use it with no problems for most of the year, but I take a break from it in February and early March because that's when the air around here is at its driest. At all other times it works like a charm for me.

Firefox7275
March 15th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Curly Girl method, way looser up dos, pull back by hand don't comb into a style, flaxseed jelly.

lapushka
March 15th, 2014, 08:25 AM
If by chance the Aloe Vera gel doesn't cut it, you could always try some Eco Styler gel (I have the olive oil version).

LightSabr
March 15th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I'll definitely look into all of these suggestions. I've tried the curly girl method and I like the way it makes my hair look, but I still have those flyaways ruining the image.

BlazingHeart
March 15th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I prefer a good pomade, personally. The soft waxy sort, not the sticky stuff like styling putty. I use very little, so my hair really doesn't get waxy or greasy looking.

MadeiraD
March 15th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I second pomade, or water based spray